Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am the Necrus - Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 7th Place with 16 points…
    JP Liz V1
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

Have I heard this song: Um…. YEAH :pac:

Ah lookit my old Walrus co-host Stu Redman used to go on about ‘cheat code’ songs for certain categories and The Gambler is absolutely that here. It’s probably one of the most well-known country songs EVER - this side of Garth Brooks stuff. It’s perfect for this category. I love it, though it has lost a few points as I’ve overplayed this song on my car radio throughout the years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 6th Place with 17 points….
    Sawduck

The Highwaymen - Highwayman

Have I heard this song: YES!!

I toed and froed about where to put this song. It’s fantastic, but it’s another I’ve absolutely played to death on my trips around Ireland. Ultimately though it’s just too good to be any lower than this. Great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,336 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Necro wrote: »
    In 6th Place with 17 points….
    Sawduck

The Highwaymen - Highwayman.

Love this song, great choice Sawduck, can't believe I forgot about this one.

In 5th place with 18 points…..

s1ippy

Brad Paisley - You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive

Have I heard this song before: No

This is a PERFECT example of how a lot of country music (proper country, not diddlee ay stuff) accentuates what an amazing instrument the human voice can be. It’s a stunning track and I’m a little sorry it doesn’t place a bit higher… but the ones above just resonated a little bit more. Very very close mind. Still –
    s1ippy
    becomes the first to enter a Necro top 5!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Bottom 3 here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Wow never knew about The Highwaymen, I have heard bits of that song before

In 4th place, and just missing out on top 3, with 19 points…

Rikand

Toby Keith : How do you like me now?

Have I heard this song before: No

Yeah this song and the ones above it are just another tier for me. Another powerful voice and the crescendo into the chorus is amazing. I’ve put it on my own regular play list now, it’s a great entry. Toby Keith is an artist I'm only starting to get into and I'll definitely be diving down that rabbit hole now.

And now we pause whilst we let our remaining 6 sweat it out :P And they are….
    Trigger
    Osh
    Deja Boo
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    fixXxer
    ShaneU

ab4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Trigger
    Osh
    Deja Boo
    fixXxer
    ShaneU

ab4.gif

In order of bottom to top obviously:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Country is probably my least favorite music genre so I could have nominated anything here but nostalgia led me to Reba, a favorite of me and my sister back in the day. I'll accept your synopsis this time :)

• Advertisement

There's no way I'm bottom three, the song is too good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Trigger wrote: »
    In order of bottom to top obviously:pac:

Oh I'm coming dead last, but its a great song so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Trigger
    Osh
    Deja Boo
    fixXxer
    ShaneU

ab4.gif

giphy.gif

Necro remember when we said we'd rig each other's walruses so we'd both win....that's still happening right?......right?

In 20th place, with 3 points…
    fixXxer

Kinky Friedman - Get your bisquits in the oven and your buns in to bed

Eesh. This is the type of country I would not be fond of. Gives proper country a bad name. It’s a bit sexist too isn’t it!! The diddlee aye is prominent here, along with the overspoken Southern accent… Nope Nope Nope. And wow, they even have a kazoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It's Satire!!

fixXxer wrote: »
    It's Satire!!

Surrrreeee :D

In 3rd Place – with 20 points…
    ShaneU

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Down At The Twist & Shout

Have I heard of this song: Yes

This is what I mean about another tier. Yeah sure, it’s got a bit of diddlee ay, but it’s absolutely infectious. Absolutely perfect choice for this category, well done.

tenor.gif?itemid=12550037

In 21st Place – with 2 points….
    Osh
    Neil Young - Unknown Legend

Have I heard this song: No

I feel sort of bad placing this song so low. But unfortunately it just does nothing for me. I didn’t hate it, but it didn’t really resonate with me across the five or six listens of this category, so it has to be here I’m sorry to say.

• Advertisement

In 2nd Place – with 21 points…
    LeVar

Blake Shelton - God's Country

Have I heard this song: Yes

Ah here
    LeVar
    is at it again :P He discovered the hidden cheat code of Blake Shelton in this round. I absolutely love his stuff. Religious overtures aside, this is a phenomenal track. It just makes you want to go out into the fields, grab a clod of earth and let it crumble in your clenched fists. God Tier choice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

In 22nd Place – with 1 point…
    Trigger

No Frontiers - Mary Black

Unfortunately someone has to come last, it makes it worse given the story
    Trigger
    told me about the song after he submitted it :( But it just doesn’t do anything at all for me. I’m loathe to be too critical of the song given the background which I’m sure he will share when he has time, but unfortunately it (the song) just didn’t resonate with me. Sorry
    Trigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kolido wrote: »
    Country is probably my least favorite music genre so I could have nominated anything here but nostalgia led me to Reba, a favorite of me and my sister back in the day. I'll accept your synopsis this time :)
    Excellent as Heather Gummer in Tremors too. She kicked ass :cool:

Meaning that

In 1st Place – Scooping 22 Points….
    Deja Boo
    Desperado – Clint Black

It sort of had to be didn’t it :pac: Look I know it’s a cover – but it’s every bit as good as the original Eagles track imo (he actually released it on an Eagles tribute album).

And yeah it’s against my earlier comments of slow songs etc – but when you have a song this powerful with a voice this incredible it doesn’t really matter. Context is key. So well done
    Boo Boo
    , you’ve earned yourself the first Necro Maximum Score!!

So that completes Round 1 of this Walrus.

I mean there's only 9 to go now :D

Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4fdu10H3BsJ9k1kh5bzsSg

Songs Ranked in Table Form:

Country Song Name Score
    1st Desperado - Clint Black 22
    2nd Blake Shelton - God's Country 21
    3rd Mary Chapin Carpenter - Down At The Twist & Shout 20
    4th Toby Keith : How do you like me now? 19
    5th Brad Paisley - You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive 18
    6th The Highwaymen - Highwayman 17
    7th Kenny Rogers - The Gambler 16
    8th Scotty McCreery-Out Of Summertime 15
    9th Shania Twain - No One Needs To Know 14
    10th The Eagles - Twenty-One 13
    11th Landslide - The (Dixie) Chicks 12
    12th Guy Clark: Dublin Blues 11
    13th Jon Pardi - Love you from here 10
    14th Ruby, Don't take your love to town - Kenny Rodgers 9
    15th The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company 8
    16th Revelator - Gillian Welch 7
    17th Reba McEntire, feat Linda Davis - Does He Love You 6
    18th GG Allin When I Die 5
    19th Monster - Mumford & Sons 4
    20th Kinky Friedman - Get your bisquits in the oven and your buns in to bed. 3
    21st Neil Young - Unknown Legend 2
    22nd No Frontiers - Mary Black 1

And the scores:

Player Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Round 8 Round 9 Round 10 Total
    Irish Aris 15 15
    s1ippy 18 18
    ShaneU 20 20
    Deja Boo 22 22
    the purple tin 11 11
    RasTa 8 8
    LeVar 21 21
    Sawduck 17 17
    Gru 9 9
    Mustang Shelly 14 14
    Clarabel 4 4
    osh 2 2
    Green&Red 10 10
    JP Liz 16 16
    Trigger 1 1
    JohnGreenFan 12 12
    Kolido 6 6
    Rikand 19 19
    Arghus 7 7
    Reberetta 5 5
    tusk 13 13
    fixXxer 3 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

That it, I thought you were doing all 10 rounds tonight

I've them written up but I don't want to monopolise the prime time Forum Games Saturday night slot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Meaning that

In 1st Place – Scooping 22 Points….
    Deja Boo
    Desperado – Clint Black
    It sort of had to be didn’t it :pac: Look I know it’s a cover – but it’s every bit as good as the original Eagles track imo (he actually released it on an Eagles tribute album).

And yeah it’s against my earlier comments of slow songs etc – but when you have a song this powerful with a voice this incredible it doesn’t really matter. Context is key. So well done
    Boo Boo
    , you’ve earned yourself the first Necro Maximum Score!!
    after all the great songs submitted, I was sure to be in last place, so WOW!
    tenor.gif?itemid=15770494

too bad the lead won't continue, cos... :rolleyes:
    Top-10-Funniest-Minions-GIFs-very-Funny.gif
    the other songs I forced upon Necros ears are of the biscuit variety :D

• Advertisement

Lookit I'm free this evening and if there is appetite I have Round 2 ready to go?

Up to you folks though.

Advertisement