Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dinghy Sailing

• 13-09-2020 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Myself and my Partner have just started sailing and we are looking to get a starter boat. Something cheap like a mirror but a lot of people are saying that a mirror is too small for two adults?
    We are not looking to race but to just cruise around.

I have seen videos online of mirrors with two adults comfortably cruising rivers and the sea.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

We are also going to invest in a GP 14 but at the moment there is very little on sale.

Also is there anyone who goes dinghy cruising inland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

If you can get 1 a Wayfairer is a good old school cruising dinghy. Big enough for 2 adults and can handle a bit of rough. Mirrors are kids boats and not worth it. An enterprise maybe another one to look at it your looking at the GP. The enterprise has no spinaker though. The dinghy market in Ireland is small and limited options, try the UK aswell they have massive variants across dinghy sailing

There's a British guy on YouTube called Roger Barnes who does alot of dinghy cruising in France and goes on overnights. His videos are very good and worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brett Riverboat_1

neris wrote: »
    If you can get 1 a Wayfairer is a good old school cruising dinghy. Big enough for 2 adults and can handle a bit of rough. Mirrors are kids boats and not worth it. An enterprise maybe another one to look at it your looking at the GP. The enterprise has no spinaker though. The dinghy market in Ireland is small and limited options, try the UK aswell they have massive variants across dinghy sailing

There's a British guy on YouTube called Roger Barnes who does alot of dinghy cruising in France and goes on overnights. His videos are very good and worth watching

Thanks for the reply Roger Barnes is great , He is one of the reasons we started sailing and we bought his book as well. It is a shame there does not seem to be people doing it here.

We have looked at the wayfarer and the enterprise that's we we thought a GP 14 would be a good start. The mirror are cheap and supposed to be a pleasure to sail.thats why we thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Probably a bit extreme if your only getting into it but a good video to kill an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Would you consider something with a trapese? 420's and Laser 2's would have a bit more performance that a GP, not much more mind. Also, they are all GRP and there are loads of them about. I like GP14's however, nice boats, have you thought of looking up the class website? Probably a for sale section and better boats.

Another option might be a trailer sailer with a centreboard. If you are not into racing something like a Drascombe Lugger would be perfect and thay can take an outboard.

Where are you thinking of sailing?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ferris wrote: »
    If you are not into racing something like a Drascombe Lugger would be perfect and thay can take an outboard.

I used have a Drascombe Dabber.

Sold it a couple of years ago. https://www.adverts.ie/boats/drascombe-dabber/15889747

2ft shorter than the Lugger. Good general boat for all purposes, sailing (but not racing!), rowing and motoring (has outboard engine well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

If your starting out I’d steer clear of trapeze boats like the 470/fireball/laser2.

The gp14, enterprise and wayfarer are all good suggestions.

Drascombe designs are solid design that have stood the test of time well

Might find an old lark if your happy with an older boat thats a bit rough.

If you want something a fresher and more modern a rs200 or rs400 would be worth a look. They had a good circuit pre pandemic that was well supported

Yeah but RS boats are just for racing imo. Nowhere to store lunch, clothes etc for day sailing. At least with a 470 or laser 2 you could cut a hatch in the deck, its not as if these boats are expensive now. Also i'm sure with a reefing point a 420 or L2 you wouldn't need to trapeze. RS's are also expensive to buy and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah but RS boats are just for racing imo. Nowhere to store lunch, clothes etc for day sailing. At least with a 470 or laser 2 you could cut a hatch in the deck, its not as if these boats are expensive now. Also i'm sure with a reefing point a 420 or L2 you wouldn't need to trapeze. RS's are also expensive to buy and run.
    I've never actually sailed one (and am highly unlikely ever to!) but I can't imagine anything further from a "cruising" dinghy than an RS :eek:

Laser2 def ain’t cruizy boat. A right powered up surfboard that you get proper wet on. No protection at all.

Plenty of options out there depending on what what OP wants and budget

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, have you considered a Squib? They were one of the first boats I started learning on, and I have hugely fond memories of them, great in all weathers, and good little racers if your thoughts ever turned to that side of things.

• Advertisement

49801 wrote: »
    Laser2 def ain’t cruizy boat. A right powered up surfboard that you get proper wet on. No protection at all.

Says the guy recommending RS dinghies
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    OP, have you considered a Squib? They were one of the first boats I started learning on, and I have hugely fond memories of them, great in all weathers, and good little racers if your thoughts ever turned to that side of things.

Yeah but keelboats generally can’t be practically trailer sailed, certainly a squib. You need a mooring, crane etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brett Riverboat_1

Would you consider something with a trapese? 420's and Laser 2's would have a bit more performance that a GP, not much more mind. Also, they are all GRP and there are loads of them about. I like GP14's however, nice boats, have you thought of looking up the class website? Probably a for sale section and better boats.

Another option might be a trailer sailer with a centreboard. If you are not into racing something like a Drascombe Lugger would be perfect and thay can take an outboard.

Where are you thinking of sailing?

Hi we are going to be sailing in blessington but I would like to be able to take the boat places as well. Blessington have a good GP 14 fleet.

Thanks to all for the replies. To me there seems to be a lack of boats for sale at the moment.

There was a strong following of gp14s in Sutton dinghy club. Chance Facebook and gp14 class pages etc and you might poke out someone interested in selling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Hi we are going to be sailing in blessington but I would like to be able to take the boat places as well. Blessington have a good GP 14 fleet.

Thanks to all for the replies. To me there seems to be a lack of boats for sale at the moment.

As far as I know Blessington have some Club boats that you can sail if you are a member. I would get as much sailing practise done as you can for the rest of the season and you will have a better idea of what boat is a suitable buy by next season. Maybe you could both crew on GP14s for a while and get a feeling for the boat.

Advertisement