Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam and DQS v Bora, battle for the Green, Stage 19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

donfers wrote: »
    Is there an intermediate sprint on the last stage?

If Sam finishes ahead of Sagan in a bunch sprint then is he guaranteed green jersey winner?

Not necessarily. He'd need a gap of 70 points going into the last stage to be 100% sure. i.e. even if he crashed and rolled in 10 minutes after the bunch he'd still win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Tim Declerq going up the road, would have liked to seem him pulling Sam to today's finish. Is the hope that there will be be enough people up the road that the finish won't matter?

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Tim Declerq going up the road, would have liked to seem him pulling Sam to today's finish. Is the hope that there will be be enough people up the road that the finish won't matter?

Sam mentioned a while ago that he was going to concentrate on green at the expense of chasing stages. It's a win-win for them - have a man in the break in case it stays away and also save them from having to ride at the front of the peleton.

Had this been the first week I think you'd have seen them playing it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Nils Pollit and Tractor Tim are big units

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

You'd think DQS would want to keep it together for Sam and not be attacking ?

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »

Green jersey is their number one priority now rather than stage wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

MPFGLB wrote: »

Stringing out the peloton probably damages all the sprinters equally and could mean none of his competitors get any points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Caleb Ewan can't get up any type of hill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

De Bhál wrote: »

His hamstrings are too tight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Sam in the break with Sagan and Trentin :D Class racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This is set for a cracking finale, attacks coming everywhere and now Sam following Sagan into the latest breakaway!

With a horrendous TT tomorrow I wonder how much he'll have left in his legs for Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

But as said the Time Trial offers points but its unlikely either will be involved

To elaborate. In the ITT it's only the finish that offers points and you've to be top 15 for that. Sam has absolutely no chance of being top 15 and Sagan is highly unlikely to be in that group either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

has sam distanced Sagan coming up to the intermediate sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

This is set for a cracking finale, attacks coming everywhere and now Sam following Sagan into the latest breakaway!

This is class and as amazing as they were, don’t think that Cavendish or Kittel ever got up to this craic. Green jersey fight almost as good as Yellow this year (and obviously for Irish fans much better)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sam is literally stuck to Sagan in this break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

godtabh wrote: »
    has sam distanced Sagan coming up to the intermediate sprint?

Sam beat Sagan to the intermediate sprint. No distance between them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Doc07 wrote: »
    This is class and as amazing as they were, don’t think that Cavendish or Kittel ever got up to this craic. Green jersey fight almost as good as Yellow this year (and obviously for Irish fans much better)

Maybe it’s just cos it’s Sam, but I don’t think I’ve ever been gripped as much by the green jersey contest!!
    The yellow is almost a side show this year!

Sam is literally stuck to Sagan in this break

And now contributing (in a limited way) to the pacesetting! Really brilliant stuff tbf

Can see Sam sitting in soon, once they're certain they'll make it to the end.

ratracer wrote: »
    Maybe it’s just cos it’s Sam, it I don’t think I’ve ever been gripped as much by the green jersey contest!!
    The yellow is almost a side show this year!

Nah, it's been the best contest, mainly because Sagan is willing to try anything to hang onto the jersey. Been a tough race for breakaways but Bora have refused to let Sam relax at any stage.

• Advertisement

Be nice to see Sam stay away with the group and beat Sagan to the stage win.
    He could put a bottle of bubbly in his bottle cage Sunday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

this group could stay away....trentin might be the dark horse as GVA would provide an excellent leadout for him

I go away for a bit and come back and Sam is in the break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

This breakaway will stick I think as Bora and DQS not there to chase. Sam has only one teammate so
    it’s into classics territory where Sagan/GVA/Trentin even Luke Rowe should have the edge but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Always loved Thor Hushovd going up the Alps for 6 points in the intermediates to beat Cavendish

This years battle is great though. First time anyone has challenged Sagan at all really in the last 8/9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Used to love watching Cipolini go about 1km up the first mountain of the tour and say "Yep, that's me done" :pac:

donfers wrote: »
    this group could stay away....trentin might be the dark horse as GVA would provide an excellent leadout for him

Very dark - hasn't been inside the top 6 yet on a stage and can't beat Sagan or Sam in an intermediate either (not sure how hard he's trying...)

Bennett is becoming more and more English as the race goes on*.

(For the pedantically minded there is a large quantity of sarcasm in the above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭raclle

Jumping on the bandwagon here due to Irish interest, so Sam just needs to stay with Sagan here and its basically over?

• Advertisement

Even if the peloton was chasing, they're way too far back. 1 min gap for 10km left was always a good rule of thumb according to the commentators.

Advertisement