Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats really happening now in china

Options
  • 17-09-2020 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

How come china seems to have a halted the spread of the virus. Cases are increasing in the western world but China cases have not.

I know the line will be that they are faking the numbers but they couldnt be faking them that much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tracybal

onedmc wrote: »
    How come china seems to have a halted the spread of the virus. Cases are increasing in the western world but China cases have not.

I know the line will be that they are faking the numbers but they couldnt be faking them that much.

I have been checking this too and wondering what is going on in China, that they apparently now have no domestic cases, the only cases they have in China at the moment are imported and the imported cases are less than 10 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They're throwing extraordinary resources at it, and locking-down and mass-testing entire cities with even a handful of cases. It's a zero-Covid essentially. Not sure it's achievable anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

They've millions of people locked away in re-education camps. Their government kind of do and say what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

They blocked all domestic flight out of Wuhan early on, but not international flights out of Wuhan and locked down that whole region in Wuhan for months

They let the whole world get the virus in the process, but not the rest of China

China had it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

China and Russia both have registered vaccines. Luke O'Neill tweeted that information yesterday.
    I'm surprised there isn't more talk about that fact in the Western media. That could explain alot why things have returned to normal in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It is easy for China to recover as they have the vaccine having invented the bloody thing, this was unleashed around the world to cause havoc for western Governments, cause even greater debt ensalvement to China and most importantly for China try to get rid of Trump as President who has kept his promise to stand up to China is not one bit afraid to go toe to toe with the CCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

theguzman wrote: »
    It is easy for China to recover as they have the vaccine having invented the bloody thing, this was unleashed around the world to cause havoc for western Governments, cause even greater debt ensalvement to China and most importantly for China try to get rid of Trump as President who has kept his promise to stand up to China is not one bit afraid to go toe to toe with the CCP.

Oh god :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

China is a full on surveillance state, while the protesters over in HK at first welcomed Apps and technolgies(Telegram etc) for planning or organising peaceful democratic protests, they soon realised there is nothing escapable from the cluthes of their authorities. Months later, the same folks were out on the streets, not with smartphones, but with anglegrinders, sawing down these 'smart'-lamp-posts. Smart lamposts are of course the fabric of the new growing Chinese mega-digital citites.

Many in the West having seen the 'benefits of control' (including the WuhanL4 flu), and are now considering somewhat similar approaches to China (but not as severe) I.e. will not actually weld shut any high-rise apartment doors, but will slap loads of QRCodes on them for residents to scan, track and trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

China is a full on surveillance state, while the protesters over in HK at first welcomed Apps and technolgies(Telegram etc) for planning or organising peaceful democratic protests, they soon realised there is nothing escapable from the cluthes of their authorities. Months later, the same folks were out on the streets, not with smartphones, but with anglegrinders, sawing down these 'smart'-lamp-posts. Smart lamposts are of course the fabric of the new growing Chinese mega-digital citites.

Many in the West having seen the 'benefits of control' (including the WuhanL4 flu), and are now considering somewhat similar approaches to China (but not as severe) I.e. will not actually weld shut any high-rise apartment doors, but will slap loads of QRCodes on them for residents to scan, track and trace.

The USA has more CCTV and security cameras per head of capita than china.

Wasn't Snowden also recently vindicated for outing the illegal capturing of telephone data by the USA government.
    But yeah your right big bad china is the only surveillance state to worry about.
    Awoooo ah bogey wogey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wasn't Snowden also recently vindicated for outing the illegal capturing of telephone data by the USA government.
    But yeah your right big bad china is the only surveillance state to worry about.
    Awoooo ah bogey wogey

Snowden only cared about US Citizens being recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

We haven’t known what has been really happening in China since before they reported this virus to the rest of the world. What they do say is carefully managed and spun, therefore why would we think that anything they tell us now is different????

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Issybelle

Remember that China can manipulate information and make it seem like the virus is under control. We likely won’t know what is really happening until this is well over. Maybe not even then.

Snowden only cared about US Citizens being recorded.

Eh that was kind of my point. That the USA was caught red handed illegally spying on its citizens and has more cameras per person than china also looking at its own citizens.

So to really spell it out, I was saying the USA is a surveillance state. Get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

It could simply be that their restrictions and lockdowns worked which were more severe than anywhere else in the world.

It could simply be that their restrictions and lockdowns worked which were more severe than anywhere else in the world.

Its most likely a bit of both, draconian lock downs and tight control of the media.
    But the conspiracy bull**** and the feigned worry from some posters over china watching its people is gas altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

I understand that they are manipilating the figures, there are certainly more deaths than reported, more outbreaks and more lockdowns.

Although they may have a vaccine they could not possibly have sufficient quantity as yet to make an impact. It will be a number of years before we have sufficient to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people. And we already know that 2 doses of the vaccine are required to prove effective.

I find it hard to reason away the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

hmmm wrote: »
    They're throwing extraordinary resources at it, and locking-down and mass-testing entire cities with even a handful of cases. It's a zero-Covid essentially. Not sure it's achievable anywhere else.
    This. My ex is Chinese. Her district of Beijing was locked down a few months ago after a local spike in cases and literally everyone tested, millions of people. Then they lifted the lockdown.

Do I believe their numbers from the start? No. But they're doing far better than the rest of us for the bloody obvious reason that they're not half-arsing every measure. I'd much rather a full lockdown and a test for a fortnight than this twilight world of level 2, 3, etc. for months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

ThirstySelfishAmericanalligator-size_restricted.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Remarkable insight.

I spoke with yong un via encrypted cypher last week, he was laughing hysterically for several minutes ( at the garbage on this thread ).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Remarkable insight.

I spoke with yong un via encrypted cypher last week, he was laughing hysterically for several minutes ( at the garbage on this thread ).

Last week?

This thread created yesterday...

Newsflash!!! China has developed Time Travel. We're all fuked ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If the Virus was worth its bollox and there was a big outbreak in Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou, there would be no hiding it. No, nobody believes the actual figures being out out but they certainly haven't been crippled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I understand that they are manipilating the figures, there are certainly more deaths than reported, more outbreaks and more lockdowns.

Although they may have a vaccine they could not possibly have sufficient quantity as yet to make an impact. It will be a number of years before we have sufficient to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people. And we already know that 2 doses of the vaccine are required to prove effective.

I find it hard to reason away the figures.

The best way to defeat the virus is to act fast and hard. The Chinese were slow, but when they did eventually grasp the seriousness of the situation they went in very hard.

The reason they've done so well is because they've been able to take measures that are simply not possible in a western democracy. To my knowledge they effectively locked cities of people in their homes for 23hrs a day only letting people out to get supplies for about 4 months. Even the most ardent lockdowner here would find that tough to stomach.

Add to that an absolutely mammoth testing programme and that leaves you with the virus suppressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I don't believe for a second China released it intentionally. I think it was an accident that happened in the Wuhan lab and they then tried to curb the spread of it in their own country. Once the virus out it hard to stop it.

China not isolated anymore, they ship goods to the western countries and would make no sense to rattle the markets. There was no crystal future ball the Chinese had to map the impact globally. China was already on its on way to be the number one global economic power, Trump could not stop it. Releasing a virus would actually harm the Chinese ambitions to dominant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You can’t believe a word they say it’s as simple as.

I think they don’t have a big problem over there anymore with it tho, due to the actions of the government which would not be tolerated over this side of the world.

It’s laughable really how Russia gets so much hatred and media attention this side of the world with regards LGBT, human rights , censorship and whatever else but a blind eye turned on China.
    The One China policy,Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Uyghur Re-education camps, the harvesting of organs of prisoners, South China Sea, the list goes on and on.
    Time to turn the wick up on that government, they get too much leeway from the western world due to our reliance on their cheap manufacturing.

They probably will be the first country out with a Vaccine also, guaranteed they will doing human challenge trials on whoever they please over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I remember reading in April an article wrote by a Chinese girl living in Canada and travelling to China. When she landed she got a tracing bracelet, which she had to wear all the time while in China. Then all passengers were watching film, how to give a saliva sample from a deep throat. And then they did it and waited few hours for results to be allowed to enter the country.

Here are they checking passengers at the airport at all? And they rely on the information they are giving, which can be untrue...

And I don't think they have a liberty not to go for a swab, when being called as a close contact. They don't have this big amount of people not complying with rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

These technically, are for the most part: old, dumb, stupid, plain cameras (not smart).

The Chinese SmartLamPosts are fundamental to their growing smart mega 'green' city plans. They have by default: facial recognition software (inc gait recognition), traffic monitoring, weather & co2, motion sensors, BT, NFC & Wifi enabled, audio announcements or commands/alerts, QRCode scanning^ for cashless parking, some with EV-charging module, and even infraRed scanning capability along with citizen temperature sensors, for HealthPassport integration

E.g. break a sweat on a cool day, with a slow gait and your smartphone's HealthpassportApp may well deem you 'Covid red' via a smartpost. The usual doors of movement (for 14days) may no longer open for your updated and linked ID status.

^QRcode scanning is particularly interesting and pushed for cashless (and staffless) retail environment payments, metro access (linked to ID and paycards), even beggars are wearing Alipay linked QRCode badges around their necks. BigData Marketeers love them, but upon toombstones, as neck/arm tattoos and stuck on boothbabes rears (promogirls) they all have further potential to dehumanise: from names, towards numbers.

Of course the West is now slightly behind such times, and will shortly enjoy smart posts and QRs access points slapped on doors, windows and people galore. Oh, except the Silicon Valley area, which has admitted facial recognition technology is toxic, but is fine to use elsewhere, for plebs etc.

Advertisement