Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due November 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DubGal123

Hi Cant! Great to hear the update. That's exciting your bump has popped! I'm just at the halfway mark myself and not much of an obvious bump yet - but it's my first baby so think things can take a bit longer.

Best of luck with your big scan this week! Will be great to get that done and out of the way. Mines not for 2 weeks so I haven't really started getting apprehensive yet, but I know I will be a nervous wreck when the time comes! Looking forward to having it done though as it will be a nice milestone to reach - hopefully all goes okay.

Feeling fine generally - some days a little bit tired - but I'm still working from home so I think it really helps not having a commute! Will be a shock to the system when I'm back in the office. Can only imagine what I would be like if I had kids to look after too though, must be tough going - hope you can get a little bit of a rest at some stage over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi ladies,

Hope youre all well! I had my anaomaly scan last week. All went well thank god! was quite anxious beforehand but it was such a relief to get it done and have baby all healthy. Such reassurance, but god you never stop worrying till theyre in your arms really do you! so im about 23 weeks now. Feeling good but do get a bit tired around 3pm for an hour or so then im fine again! found the heat the last day awful. Would have been fine if id had some decent light weight clothes to out on but i was out in the park with big black jeans and black top.... was only fit to collapse when i got home!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Hi Ladies,

Good to hear your all doing well and Lizard legs delighted your scan went well, its very reassuring. Ladies hats off to you working and looking after small kids, there's no minding in my guy, i'm working part time and i'm exhausted most days.

I felt like i was flying up until about wk 19. I was doing a bit of yoya and still jogging but i feel like now I've hit a wall. some days i feel enormous. I've started to get achy legs, feet are swelling a little, runners are getting tighter on me and now have round ligament pain in my tummy and groin. This is new to me, I didn't have it on my last pregnancy. I had this vision in my head that i would really embrace this pregnancy and i would be really active etc. but how i feel now is the total opposite to what i imagined!!

I have my scan on Friday and the nerves are slowly creeping in, its 9:15am so i don't have all day to wait thankfully. I'm feeling movement most days but nothing my hubby would be able to feel yet. I still haven't had my first GP appointment. They had said around 24 weeks but i'm back with consultant at 25 weeks so i think i might try book in next week with them. Have you ladies being to your GP yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi everyone. Was great to read everyone’s updates. Great that your scan went well lizardlegz. I had mine this morning and thank god all is looking good. Was sick with nerves beforehand. I had the harmony test done but there’s so many other scenarios I was thinking of so just beyond relieved now.
    Elly best of luck in the morning, you’ll be delighted to have it over you early.
    Had a hard enough week. Ended up in hospital on Sunday. Was so strange, felt terrible. Thankfully all was ok but my consultant put me on bed rest until today. I was climbing the walls with boredom but it definitely thought me a lesson. Need to slow down slightly and listen to my body a bit more.
    Hope everyone is feeling good and thank god the weekend is just around the corner!

Hi there, hope everyone is keeping well! And Cant26 especially hope you are feeling okay after your scare - it is very easy to overdo it isn't it, so definitely a good lesson to take on board to slow down.
    I had my anatomy scan during the week and just wanted to ask how everyone else had found their covid era scans?! I'm feeling a bit weirdly underwhelmed by mine if I'm honest, I was told everything looked okay and I'm grateful for that but the scan itself was just incredibly short - we're talking well under 10 minutes, it was like a whirlwind! I had just read so much about the anatomy scan being very detailed and the technician needing a lot of concentration and time to get everything right - it's hard to believe they could get everything they need so quickly. I'm sure they got all the key measurements etc. but I just feel a bit strange after it, it's such a big milestone in your head and I was in and out in a flash. I thought maybe it's a covid thing to try reduce the length of the scans - how have you found yours in terms of length / level of detail?
    I think myself and hubby are going to do another private scan maybe around 30 weeks so that we can get a better look anyway!
    How is everyone doing besides the scans anyway? I know some of ye are not first timers so you're probably not too bad on the preparations front - I'm thinking we need to get started thinking about buggies and cribs soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BawnyD

DubGal123 wrote: »
    Hi there, hope everyone is keeping well! And Cant26 especially hope you are feeling okay after your scare - it is very easy to overdo it isn't it, so definitely a good lesson to take on board to slow down.
    I had my anatomy scan during the week and just wanted to ask how everyone else had found their covid era scans?! I'm feeling a bit weirdly underwhelmed by mine if I'm honest, I was told everything looked okay and I'm grateful for that but the scan itself was just incredibly short - we're talking well under 10 minutes, it was like a whirlwind! I had just read so much about the anatomy scan being very detailed and the technician needing a lot of concentration and time to get everything right - it's hard to believe they could get everything they need so quickly. I'm sure they got all the key measurements etc. but I just feel a bit strange after it, it's such a big milestone in your head and I was in and out in a flash. I thought maybe it's a covid thing to try reduce the length of the scans - how have you found yours in terms of length / level of detail?
    I think myself and hubby are going to do another private scan maybe around 30 weeks so that we can get a better look anyway!
    How is everyone doing besides the scans anyway? I know some of ye are not first timers so you're probably not too bad on the preparations front - I'm thinking we need to get started thinking about buggies and cribs soon!

Hi DubGal, I’m also a first timer, my scan is supposed to be next week but I got a phonecall on Thursday to say they’ll have to cancel it due to a “service disruption”. I also had the impression that you’d be given more information than, “everything is fine”... I mean, obviously, that’s marvellous news but more detail would be nice wouldn’t it!

I’m going to try book a private scan for next week instead. We were going to book one anyway given that it’s our first and my OH can’t come for a look too but we probably would have waited a few weeks. I get the impression that when you’re paying for the privilege they’ll give you a bit more time and attention.. fingers crossed!

Hey all,

Hope your all keeping well. Cant26 hope your doing well and resting.

I can’t remember how long my anatomy scan took maybe 10/15 mins. But I felt really reassured after it, sonographer chatted through all the measurements And details with me. I think it can be real hit or miss with sonographers, some are really friendly and make you feel relaxed and others are a bit cold and stern I find.
    I was at the gp Friday and she sent me to the Hosp. I’m measuring 4 wks ahead so she wanted me assessed and for fluid to be checked around the baby, it was a total waste of time. They booked an appt for me for 2moro to see my team and told me to go to scanning to book in for a scan for tomorrow. Senior sonographer called me and basically told me she wouldn’t be booking me in for Monday because I only had my anatomy scan 2 wks ago and all was fine and that my previous pregnancy and baby was a normal size. She was a bit dismissive on the phone and basically told me to cancel 2moros appt with the consultant and to go back in a week. I was so confused so I called my gp and she told me to keep the appt for tomorrow as she would be happier if I’m assessed by the team and let them decide if I should be scanned. So back to the Hosp I go tomorrow!!

I am feeling fit to burst, I’m sleeping an average 2.5hrs a day aswel as 7/8hrs at night, I thought I’d be full of energy at this stage!

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the responses. So sorry to hear your anatomy scan was cancelled altogether BawnyD! That must be very disappointing, it's long enough between appointments at this stage, very disappointing to have a big one like the scan cancelled. I'd imagine you'll have a much better experience at the private scan with your OH anyway - I think they just gave that bit more time to go through things in detail with you and put your mind at ease. Hope it goes well for you!
    Glad to hear yours went well Elly and you felt good after it. It sounds like you've been given the run around lately though! Fair play to your GP for insisting you get checked out. I hope the appointment today went well for you, and that you and baby are doing okay!

Hi Ladies, How are ya all doing?
    All good here, had growth scan and bloods etc and back in the hosp Monday week. Counting the weeks down now :)
    Hoping i wont need glucose test but so far no sign of sugars in my urine thankfully. Think i'm just having a big baby.
    Sitting working away at the kitchen table and today is the first day i have noticed my bump is actually sitting on my lap, the weight of it!! Hope you all have a lovely weekend :)

Hi Elly, glad to hear you had the growth scan in the end and got some reassurance from that.
    Not too much to report here but I feel good thankfully. My bump is still not too big, it's my first so I think they say that's a factor! I'm sure it will pop properly at some stage soon! I do have an appointment this week so looking forward to that as it feels like a long time since the booking apt now at this stage. Will be nice to have a check in.
    Hope everyone else is doing well!

• Advertisement

Hi all, wondering how everyone is getting on? I am finding the time is starting to fly by now, can't believe November is so close - it's all starting to feel real!

I'm in the process of sorting my maternity leave which will be great to get sorted and have a date to work towards. Also have antenatal classes coming up with the hospital in the next few weeks. Getting very excited now!

We're also just starting to get organised with getting the bits and pieces for the baby now and I had a question for those more experienced if you don't mind:
    How many babygrows do you need for the baby initially i.e. in the 0-3 months size? I literally have no clue how many they might get through in a week. And would you bother with any smaller newborn sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

I'm 31 weeks this week just about and I feel like I've hit a brick wall in regards to tiredness and being able to do things ha ha ha! I was grand up until now but I work in hospitality, in a BnB and with six stairs, hoovers, making millions of beds and bathrooms I don't know how much longer I can do the work.

I dunno, I woke up on Sunday morning and I suddenly felt like a whale, my bump feels different this week much bigger and harder to get things done with it, plenty of lovely back aches too! :)

Plenty and plenty of movement thank god, all good and well with the spud.

I've gotten some newborn baby grows but looking at them now, I feel i prob should have gotten size 0-3mths? I think I have about 12 of them! Maybe I need more!

I'm amazed at how fast it has all flown by!

Hi Ladies,

All going well here. I'm 31 plus 4. Was sent to hospital for a trace and more bloods at my last GP appt. last week, trace was all good, baby's heartbeat was good and fluid around baby still on the upper side of normal. I had bloods done too because i'd been feeling rotten with joints aching, fatigue, ringing in my ears and shortness of breath and it came back i've an iron deficiency. My ferritin levels were very low so i'm on two galfer a day. Will have bloods redone again Monday when i'm back in Hosp for appt. to see if they have improved.

My baby movements are quite mild, but have been like this since i started feeling movements, doc said its nothing to worry about as long as the frequency doesn't decrease.

I feel like i'm a FTM when it comes to getting organised. It's 7.5 yrs since my son. I have about 12 0-3 babygrows and then i've 4 1 month for the hosp but i agree they look tiny especially after they are washed. I'm not buying anymore until baby is here and i know her size.

Whehey! your job sounds very taxing especially while heavily pregnant, giving the house a good scrub once a week takes it out of me so i can only imagine the struggle doing your job everyday. Mind yourself and take care of no. 1.

I'm being very optimistic and hoping i get my section date on Monday at my hosp appt. unlikely i will but i am going to ask. Would love to have the date to work towards having everything organised. I'm also counting the weeks to maternity leave :)

Thanks for the advice ladies. Sounds like if I gear towards 12 and a few small ones we should be okay. Have been picking up bits here and there so I'm probably not too far off, need to do a tally! Just find it so hard to know what we'll be using. It is lovely seeing their little clothes though, makes it so exciting imagining there'll be a little person wearing them soon :)

Work sounds very tough Whehey, do make sure to take care of yourself! If the exhaustion doesn't seem to be lifting and it's getting too tough you should have a chat with your GP. Fair play to you for doing all that while heavily pregnant though, no mean feat! I've a desk job so not struggling physically thankfully, but I am really starting to count down the days to maternity leave now - just to even get in the headspace of preparing for baby, work's very busy so it's difficult to think of anything beyond it at the moment.

I'll have my fingers crossed for you that you get a section date on Monday Elly! Would be great to have an end date in sight I'm sure. Your little boy must be getting so excited for the arrival now too! Sorry you've been feeling a bit rotten. Fingers crossed the galfer will sort you out. I've been taking an iron supplement every second day for the last two weeks or so advised by the midwives to try and head off any iron issues. Hoping it does as it sounds like a deficiency can really take it out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Hi all, first time posting in this thread but have been stalking since March lol due Nov 15th 2nd baby. Just chiming in to say I’m going public in the rotunda and got my section date at an appointment last Monday if thats any indication for anybody wondering, delighted to have a date only 8.5 weeks to go getting very excited!! Hope you’re all keeping well x

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend and your all enjoying the sunshine. The heat is a killer but its beautiful out so i wont complain.

Back at the hosp this morning and all is good. Saw consultant and got my date :) 7 weeks time. So excited to have an end date!

Wishing the next 5.5 wks away until i finish work.
    Hoping to have my pre-natal breast feeding consultation with Lactation consultant in 2/3 weeks time. I really want it to work this time so i'll be working with a private LC to give me the best chance. Last time around i was so naive and just assumed it would all work but after about 30 hrs i gave in and gave formula.

That's very exciting Alekat and Elly that you both have dates for your sections!! It's hard to believe we are nearing the time of some arrivals to this thread! I think I will be a bit behind you all - I've 9 weeks to go plus potentially 2 over, but sure who knows what way it will go at this stage!

Elly do you mind me asking if you have someone lined up for post birth support for breastfeeding? I'm really hoping to breastfeed but well aware it's not always plain sailing. I've been reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and done a group preparing to breastfeed class but other than that I'm not sure what prep to do. I've heard the support of an LC can be so important but I'm confused as to whether I should try line one up now or do I wait until after the birth of there are issues? Would love to hear what way it works to engage with an LC if you have any advice.

That's very exciting Alekat and Elly that you both have dates for your sections!! It's hard to believe we are nearing the time of some arrivals to this thread! I think I will be a bit behind you all - I've 9 weeks to go plus potentially 2 over, but sure who knows what way it will go at this stage!

Elly do you mind me asking if you have someone lined up for post birth support for breastfeeding? I'm really hoping to breastfeed but well aware it's not always plain sailing. I've been reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and done a group preparing to breastfeed class but other than that I'm not sure what prep to do. I've heard the support of an LC can be so important but I'm confused as to whether I should try line one up now or do I wait until after the birth of there are issues? Would love to hear what way it works to engage with an LC if you have any advice.

Hey DubGal,
    I went onto the ALCI website and went through the list of LC on it and found one that was close enough to where i live. I contacted her by email and we arranged a quick consultation by phone just for her to get an idea of my plan etc. She was so lovely. She told me to give her a wk or 2 notice when i want to do the pre-natal consultation that takes about an hour or two i think it is and then she will be on hand post natal if i am having any issues or need her to call to me etc. I know there is loads of help and advise out there but i know myself one on one is best for me to give it my best chance.

Thanks for the info Elly! That sounds great alright, I can imagine having someone on call like that for support for the tough early days would be a huge help. Will definitely look into it myself - thanks!

Could I check if anyone knows the answer to another question? I've only recently submitted my maternity benefit form, cutting it quite tight! Just wondering should I expect any sort of confirmation email or letter and how long it takes to come through? I couldn't do the online application as I haven't got a public services card yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Squiggle03

Thanks for the info Elly! That sounds great alright, I can imagine having someone on call like that for support for the tough early days would be a huge help. Will definitely look into it myself - thanks!

Could I check if anyone knows the answer to another question? I've only recently submitted my maternity benefit form, cutting it quite tight! Just wondering should I expect any sort of confirmation email or letter and how long it takes to come through? I couldn't do the online application as I haven't got a public services card yet!

Jumping in from October thread!

I posted my maternity benefit form on a Wednesday and got a text message on the Monday the following week, just saying they got the form and will be in touch with a decision. I then got a letter about 10 days later after the text to say that I'm entitled to the payment.

I applied for it 6 weeks ago. Due my first payment this Monday.

• Advertisement

Squiggle03 wrote: »
    Jumping in from October thread!

I posted my maternity benefit form on a Wednesday and got a text message on the Monday the following week, just saying they got the form and will be in touch with a decision. I then got a letter about 10 days later after the text to say that I'm entitled to the payment.

I applied for it 6 weeks ago. Due my first payment this Monday.

Thanks Squiggle, great to know I can expect a text message - was just worried I'd hear nothing and have no idea if the payment was approved or not! Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Squiggle03

Thanks Squiggle, great to know I can expect a text message - was just worried I'd hear nothing and have no idea if the payment was approved or not! Thanks for the info :)

Your welcome, I hope you hear from them soon :)

Hi everyone. Lovely to read all the updates. I’m not very good at posting this time round!

Great to hear you got your section date elly and al kat...Must be amazing to have an exact date to work towards.
    DubGal I got a text a few days after my HR dept sent off my application just to acknowledge getting it. That was last Monday.

I’m finishing work next week! Decided to take some holidays beforehand as I work in the office and while I’ve felt happy to do so I’m getting more anxious as I get bigger and the cases continue to rise. Don’t want to go through the hassle of setting up at home just for a few weeks and didn’t want to get signed off. I can’t wait. We get great holidays so I’ll be off for almost a year with all of 2021 holidays in tact on my return next September.

We bought a house last month, and the aim is to close in the next few weeks. It’s been mental busy but great all the same. Stressful though as I really want to get it over the line before the baby comes so we don’t have to reapply to declare another child! It would just take so much more time and effort. So fingers crossed! Not even thinking of the reality that we will be moving at 9 months pregnant or with a tiny newborn!!!!

Also toying with the idea of asking for a section this time. Had two difficult births previously, especially with my last but I’m also petrified of the idea of a section so not sure! Have heard that a planned section is a totally different story to an emergency section. Will be seeing my consultant next week so will chat to him about it then.

In my 34th week now and feeling every minute of it. Can not wait to meet this baby and say goodbye to pregnancy forever.

Hey Ladies,

How are we all doing, getting so close now. I'm feeling so much better in the 3rd Tri than I did in the second. I didn't get that energised glowing look lots of ppl talk about in the 2nd trimester, i spent most of it in bed wrecked.

Cant26 i'd say you are delighted to be finished up work now. I'm partly raging I didn't request to start leave on Friday week in stead of the following week, but it's hard to justify taking a week earlier when I'm working from home. Between maternity leave, holidays and unpaid leave I'm not due back until September too which is keeping me going.
    Did you ask about a c-section? I'm booked in this day 4 weeks :)

Have any of you ladies packed your bags? I still haven't fully packed yet, few things to add. I'm much more laid back this pregnancy and I think its because I only live 7/8 mins drive from the Hospital.

Random question but are any of you craving something you cant eat while pregnant but really looking forward to it after? I've been craving sushi since 13 weeks and I have my husband warned that he has to bring me my fav sushi once I have this baby :)

Dubgal how are you doing? did you get your maternity benefit sorted?

How are people feeling about Covid and having visitors once baby comes? We are pretty much decided that nobody will be calling to our house and that nobody will be holding our baby for the first couple of weeks, I'm not sure how my mam will take it, as she lives quite close to us and is so good to us, we'd be lost without her help with our son at times, but my dad works in public transport and although he takes proper precautions I just don't want any risks of any sort of cold/flu/covid etc coming into the house. But in saying that my 7yr old will still be going to school. I'm so thorn in what to do regarding my mam.

Hi Elly, glad to hear you're feeling better this trimester! I cannot believe we're so close either, time has been flying. Starting to get really excited now with all the prep getting the baby's stuff ready - they are beginning to make their presence felt in our house!:)

That's crazy to think you will have your baby with you this time 4 weeks Elly, there's something nice about having a definite date. Are you only finishing up work one week before so? I got my maternity leave sorted now thanks, was actually fairly quick hearing back in the end, I think it was a bit over a week. So nice having a finish date, I'm finishing up in just over 3 weeks! Looking forward to having some time to myself to get ready for the arrival, providing they don't make an early appearance! :p

The main food thing I'm excited about is a good cheese board at Christmas without worrying about what I can and can't have!haha

The visitors question is tough alright and I am curious what other people are planning, it's been on my mind a bit lately but tbh I don't think we will restrict for close family - although that's actually quite a big group for us. Our siblings still live at home with parents so the two households of our direct families are 7 people in total. I think I'm comfortable enough with this, but I honestly don't know how I'll feel when the baby arrives it's hard to know. We may ask people to wear masks etc. It's a very individual decision though and can definitely understand taking a cautious approach.

Perfect, delighted you got a quick response, it is one less thing to worry about.

OHHH cheese, I do love good cheese and I will look forward to that over Xmas too :)

I'm due to finish about a wk and half before section. If I wasn't having a section it would be 2 weeks before due date. I'm happy enough for baby to make an appearance once we get to 37 weeks :) I have my lactation consultation this weekend which I'm really looking forward to. I keep dreaming that baby has arrived and is feeding great, so just hope my dreams come true :)

Yeah the visitor question is very individual. Its only really my mam I'm worried about. All our siblings have their own children and totally understand where we are coming from and if phase 3 isn't lifted both my SIL's live in other counties so wont be able to visit anyway. But sure we'll just wait and see what happens.

Hi ladies. Great that you feeling good Elly and snap on the cheese Dubgal! I cannot wait for an amazing cheese board at Christmas and maybe even a glass of wine with it!! Yum..

It’s great to be finished work, was badly needed. Have most things got for the bag just need to get nursing bras and nipple shields in case I badly need them. Not sure what the situation is with partners. So trying to pack everything I might need in case he can’t bring me in stuff.

My section is in three weeks. This will be an October baby after all. So excited to know the date but nervous at the thoughts of the section.

Would love to hear how you get on with the lactation consultant Elly. Is it via zoom? I looked up the website and the lactation consultant for my area is no longer taking appointments so I wonder does it even matter if it is an online consultation. Also really hoping the feeding goes great this time.

The whole covid situation is just crazy. Numbers in my area have really soared. One of the reasons why I needed to get out of the office. I don’t think we will be having visitors for the first month or so except my parents. They are both retired and we live very close to them. As the time gets closer they will restrict themselves even more so than now so that they can be around us. But like you Elly my boys are in school and Naionra so we are so exposed:( if our area gets any worse I might pull them for a few weeks before and after the baby comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Hi girls. I was very active at the start of this thread but got lazy or life got in the way, one or the other.
    I finished work last Friday. Wasn't really fit to keep going any longer and with the rise in cases, being in a classroom with 30+ ten and eleven year olds was starting to worry me.
    Was given date for section but i will be 40wks on the date given so I've been back on to them. Would prefer the standard 39wks and given the complications i had after last section, i don't think I'm asking for much

That's really exciting @Cant26 that you will have an Oct Baby. Not too long to wait now at all :)

I only noticed last night that I now have cankles!! I'm nearly 10 kg lighter at this stage of pregnancy than I was on my first, I'm all bump this time but the fluid is starting to build in my legs. I'm back in the Hosp on Monday so will mention it then.

The lactation consultant is coming to my house, I wasn't sure if it would be a house call or online but she said which ever suited me so I'm going with the house call.

Ohhh heldel, cant believe they are leaving you the 40 weeks. Hopefully you can push them for 39weeks. I'll be 39 plus 4 going in for mine.

I'm having mild period like pains the last few days and I'm just waiting to hear the pop of my waters going :) I'm trying to get stuff for work done that's needed just in case I do go early, I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

I am 35+6 now for my first baby. In my last appointment they told me baby's head was engaged which I am delighted to hear. Its been a challenging pregnancy for me due to nausea etc so I can't wait to meet this baby now!

I'm buying the last few bits for our home now eg changing mat and nappy caddy. I also want to clean the house!

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Advertisement