Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

From what I remember they hired the guy who worked on the emulator. They never downloaded a rom from the internet and sold it.

They sold Super Mario Bros which had a header in the ROM. Headers are used by old emulators to work so old nes roms that have been hovering around the net for years still have them. The NES rom on the VC on the Wii still had a header meaning the definitely just downloaded it from a ROM site.

Nintendo are perfectly entitled to do that as the own the code. Also the developers in Nintendo Europe are separate from the Nintendo Lawyer brigade. Sure there's hypocrisy but in the end it doesn't matter really matter or bother anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Markitron wrote: »
    I am in no way defending Nintendo here, I think this collection is a shambles tbh, but this is clearly just a bunch of morons taking any piece of information and fitting it into their narrative.

Yet it still got 8's & 9's in reviews by most sites even though it's a uncharacteristically dour effort considering that a these are Mario games & not Kirby or Metroid which mean a lot less to Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They sold Super Mario Bros which had a header in the ROM. Headers are used by old emulators to work so old nes roms that have been hovering around the net for years still have them. The NES rom on the VC on the Wii still had a header meaning the definitely just downloaded it from a ROM site.

Nintendo are perfectly entitled to do that as the own the code. Also the developers in Nintendo Europe are separate from the Nintendo Lawyer brigade. Sure there's hypocrisy but in the end it doesn't matter really matter or bother anyone.

No they definitely didn't download it. There is zero proof of that. Having the same iNes header doesn't mean they downloaded a rom from the internet.

But like you said anyway. They own the copyright on all the games anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Markitron wrote: »
    I am in no way defending Nintendo here, I think this collection is a shambles tbh, but this is clearly just a bunch of morons taking any piece of information and fitting it into their narrative.

Seems like emulation = bad cos reasons, is all the thought they put into this argument.

I thought they were pissed that it's using an emulator because it means they could easily emulate other games and release them but aren't. Not saying they're right but that's what I read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No they definitely didn't download it. There is zero proof of that. Having the same iNes header doesn't mean they downloaded a rom from the internet.

But like you said anyway. They own the copyright on all the games anyway.

The header contained the URL to and old rom site so yeah they did.

But again it's a non issue as they own the code.

And they aren't the only company to do it. Taito did it and so did midway.

• Advertisement

I thought they were pissed that it's using an emulator because it means they could easily emulate other games and release them but aren't. Not saying they're right but that's what I read.

People need to understand how videogame development works. It's not a case of sticking a game in an emulator like at home. The qa to go through, marketing. Checking security and also nintendo tailor their emulation to each game. It means they don't put out an abomination like the PlayStation mini.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yet it still got 8's & 9's in reviews by most sites even though it's a uncharacteristically dour effort considering that a these are Mario games & not Kirby or Metroid which mean a lot less to Nintendo.

They are three games that run better than on the original hardware. What's the problem people see in that? And mario 64 has been touched up in many areas.

People expecting Mario 64 or sunshine to run at 60 fps when the engines are tied to framerates need a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Mass Effect trilogy has been listed on a Portuguese etailer's site, for an October release on PS4, XB1, and Switch. (Gematsu)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Pretty sure I played Sunshine @ 60fps years ago on Dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The Mass Effect trilogy has been listed on a Portuguese etailer's site, for an October release on PS4, XB1, and Switch. (Gematsu)

And there was me ready to sell my ps4, **** sake, what a great thing to complain about. Surely there will be a next gen version or at it will at least be playable on next gen.

• Advertisement

The header contained the URL to and old rom site so yeah they did.

But again it's a non issue as they own the code.

And they aren't the only company to do it. Taito did it and so did midway.

Have you got a source for that? I've never heard of that so I'd be interested to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have you got a source for that? I've never heard of that so I'd be interested to see it.

There is a few reports of this happening not just with Nintendo.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-18-did-nintendo-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

dreamers75 wrote: »

I'm aware of that link but this particular case with Nintendo seems to have been debunked many times. I can't ever remember a URL linking back to a rom site either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm aware of that link but this particular case with Nintendo seems to have been debunked many times. I can't ever remember a URL linking back to a rom site either.

On boards? You wouldn't remember because a link to piracy sites would get modded. And is it really that hard to believe that Nintendo would do something like that? Source code is lost all the time. Shadow of the Colossus devs had to use youtube videos to reference the landscape when HD'ing it because they lost data. Silent Hill HD collection (an abomination) had to use an older, buggier version of the games because they also didn't have the final release source code. Publishers and devs are like anyone else... they'll quickly download something rather than do unnecessary work. It takes longer for me to transfer files locally between my phone and computer than it does to upload them to a cloud service and just sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    And there was me ready to sell my ps4, **** sake, what a great thing to complain about. Surely there will be a next gen version or at it will at least be playable on next gen.

I think all games released after July need to run on PS5 (think seen an article somewhere).

On boards? You wouldn't remember because a link to piracy sites would get modded. And is it really that hard to believe that Nintendo would do something like that? Source code is lost all the time. Shadow of the Colossus devs had to use youtube videos to reference the landscape when HD'ing it because they lost data. Silent Hill HD collection (an abomination) had to use an older, buggier version of the games because they also didn't have the final release source code. Publishers and devs are like anyone else... they'll quickly download something rather than do unnecessary work. It takes longer for me to transfer files locally between my phone and computer than it does to upload them to a cloud service and just sync.

It's not that hard to believe no, but when it has been debunked time and again and is generally accepted that they didn't download a rom from a website but hired the guy who worked on iNes and used his tools and that's where the header came from, it all adds up and makes sense.

It's not that hard to believe no, but when it has been debunked time and again and is generally accepted that they didn't download a rom from a website but hired the guy who worked on iNes and used his tools and that's where the header came from, it all adds up and makes sense.

I just read up on it. It has been debunked. Thanks for saying it was I wouldn't have known.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nintendo are basically the Apple of home consoles. Our way or the highway. Surprised people still get surprised by Nintendo.

I just read up on it. It has been debunked. Thanks for saying it was I wouldn't have known.

No worries. I guess it doesn't prove it 100 per cent either but it does seem a more likely scenario instead of them downloading the game to resell so it's generally an accepted story.

It's an interesting enough read for 10 mins anyway.

Pretty sure I played Sunshine @ 60fps years ago on Dolphin.

With a fan patch that breaks the physics of the game. Nintendo are really not fans of presenting games differently from the original so a 60 fps port would have been outside the development scope of the project.

• Advertisement

No worries. I guess it doesn't prove it 100 per cent either but it does seem a more likely scenario instead of them downloading the game to resell so it's generally an accepted story.

It's an interesting enough read for 10 mins anyway.

From what I read it's pretty conclusive.

Nintendo are basically the Apple of home consoles. Our way or the highway. Surprised people still get surprised by Nintendo.

But in this case I don't see how they did anything wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Don't forget the Sony showcase is on now

https://youtu.be/tjji8NEW9lo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Black ops Alpha is free to play on PS4 this weekend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So €399 for the DE PS5, €499 for the disk version. Impressive on the DE front, must be taking one heck of a bath on that price.

Nov 12th in select countries, Nov 19th for everywhere else.

Very good show I have to say, particularly liked the Playstation Collection or whatever it's called being added to PS Plus, means anyone buying a PS5 without ever having a PS4 will have a giant selection of top class games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

CatInABox wrote: »
    So $399 for the DE PS5, $499 for the disk version. Impressive on the DE front, must be taking one heck of a bath on that price.

Nov 12th.

19th for us, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Sony going super aggressive with that 400 quid digital price (although I’m still all about the disc version). Series S is still a bargain, but being able to offer a clearly higher end machine for 100 quid more is what Sony needed if they want to come out fighting. Both Sony and MS are going hard it seems, so will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

No release that on demon souls and no news on BC not gonna lie was really hoping for it, great show all around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I think i'm gonna go discless I havent used the disc drive on my PS4 for years now. Good price cant wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

CatInABox wrote: »
    Very good show I have to say, particularly liked the Playstation Collection or whatever it's called being added to PS Plus, means anyone buying a PS5 without ever having a PS4 will have a giant selection of top class games.

I imagine that will be a very, very small subset of early adopters, theres over 100m PS4s in the wild. By my count, launch titles are those PS4 games, Fortnite and DMC5 SE....not the hottest bunch of games to pull in early adopters IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement