Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 likely to be man made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is what happens with a whole lot of papers and research, they rapidly become fact. It's less about the science than the media's inability to report it properly.

Agreed, but Dr Yan's own claims in the media are far more strident and definite than the actual substance of her paper.

Reading the paper, its a theoretical possibility.
    Watching her media spin, its a definitive certainty.

Its poor reporting, compounded by a poor paper with no actual conclusions or evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not being a molecular biologist, I cant comment on the science in the paper, however the associated language in the paper, and the commentary elsewhere is a bit like - "technically it is possible this happened, therefore it did"

I'll wait until actual scientists and people in the know make their opinions public.

There's already a huge cohort of people who know little enough to be dangerous who are spouting all sorts of nonsense on social media.

I'm not going to add myself to their ranks.
    banie01 wrote: »
    Agreed, but Dr Yan's own claims in the media are far more strident and definite than the actual substance of her paper.

Reading the paper, its a theoretical possibility.
    Watching her media spin, its a definitive certainty.

Its poor reporting, compounded by a poor paper with no actual conclusions or evidence.

If Brexit has shown us anything, it's that anyone can say anything at any time and the media (social and MS) will lose their sh*t over it, until the next person comes along shouting nonsense. Too much overreporting, not enough analysis, and complex topics and science are being presented to the public by people who have, at most, a superficial understanding of what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Even the Sun report linked in the OP included the following disclaimer:-

Other scientists have disputed Dr Yan’s claims and concluded that it is naturally occurring and was passed to humans from an animal, probably a bat.

Writing in a research paper published earlier this year, immunologist Kristian Andersen PhD of the Scripps Research institute in California said: "By comparing the available genome sequence data for known coronavirus strains, we can firmly determine that [Covid-19] originated through natural processes."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Not often I'd give the Scum credit ;) never in fact, and terrible as it sounds I'd never and will never knowingly click a link to their particular brand of reporting.

However I will say at least, well done to them for providing at least a counterpoint if not an outright refutation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

splashuum wrote: »
    Dr. Yan has since had to flee to the US in fear of the CCP.
    The incredibly detailed report can be found here :https://www.scribd.com/document/475993573/

It is now fair to say that its a conspiracy theory to believe this virus was entirely natural.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5903613/chinese-defector-virologist-publishes-explosive-proof-coronavirus-man-made/

https://www.itv.com/loosewomen/articles/virologist-dr-li-meng-yan-coronavirus-cover-up-claims

She would not have said this below if she believed her work was just opinion.
    “SARS-CoV-2 shows biological characteristics that are inconsistent with a naturally occurring, zoonotic virus”.

Her background put's her inside in the door to see the cover up. We live in a world with people doubt the obvious signs the virus came from a lab.She have to deal with the usual suspects doubting her!
    Dr Yan had been working at Hong Kong University’s public health laboratory sciences division, a World Health Organisation infectious diseases research centre, when her boss was asked to investigate the outbreak in Wuhan.

Dr Yan claimed her and her team’s scientific findings were suppressed, and they were told only to report cases linked to the Huanan seafood market. After becoming fearful of her safety, she fled China on a flight bound for Los Angeles in late April.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/chinese-defector-virologist-dr-limeng-yan-publishes-report-claiming-covid19-was-made-in-a-lab/news-story/36decb0c2bca253b696dec0cb665c970

• Advertisement

She would not have said this below if she believed her work was just opinion.

Her background put's her inside in the door to see the cover up. We live in a world with people doubt the obvious signs the virus came from a lab.She have to deal with the usual suspects doubting her!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/chinese-defector-virologist-dr-limeng-yan-publishes-report-claiming-covid19-was-made-in-a-lab/news-story/36decb0c2bca253b696dec0cb665c970

It appears she has gotten herself mixed up in the marriage of convenience between Hong Kong dissidents and US trumpists. Her paer was backed by "the Rule of Law Society", a Steve Bannon backed group supporting the Hong Kong protest group. I am sure they are also big in the scientific publication world

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

This was man made..something bigger coming down the tracks. !!!.this is to distract us ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That Anderson researcher cannot be considered an honest actor when they are already funded by the same EcoHealth Alliance that (instead of monitoring for emerging diseases) are active in gain-of-function research on betacoroniviruses for several years now, and released such a feeble paper to explore its origins. 96% sequence similarity do not a predecessor make (in RaTG13). In 2003 we quickly found strains almost identical (well over 99%) to SARS-CoV. There was no dispute as to its ancestry.

On the other hand, I think the preprint by the Chinese scientist makes a lot of leaps of logic and is not put together very well. How many times the word "suspiciously" is used, for one... I don't think this acts as a smoking gun of any kind, tbh what's more concerning for me is the nature, excuse the pun, in which a limited and flawed paper in Nature was allowed to be accepted as fact without scrutiny or follow-up research.

My doubts about that paper led me to an article by a geneticist in Medium who went a lot further (https://medium.com/@yurideigin/lab-made-cov2-genealogy-through-the-lens-of-gain-of-function-research-f96dd7413748. I think it might need minor revision now to take account of the diminishing evidence for pangolins as a zoonotic ancestral reservoir, but it raises enough points for me to argue that the origin simply hasn't been established yet.

Edit: terminology correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Her 6MB PDF file was uploaded to Zenodo.org or somewhere, but it kept getting hacked/taken down.
    She also mentioned that addiitional/supplimentary documents will be forthcoming in the coming days.

At least she got out of China (before) this announcement, the fate of Whistleblowing Chinese Virologists, still in China, isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

This is propaganda guys - not even peer reviewed.

• Advertisement

KyussB wrote: »
    Give folks some time to read it perhaps?

The Chinese Virologist only uploaded her document about 48hrs ago, with more to follow
    The Chinese State itself is often associated across the West with' propaganda', and hasn't got a good track record dealing with any whistleblowers.

Ah I see "US propaganda good, Chinese propaganda bad..." - as if the same posters who routinely deep-throat whatever propaganda the US spurts out, would uncritically gorge upon a non-peer-reviewed Chinese study accusing e.g. the US of developing and releasing the coronavirus in China. As if the US has a good track record with whistleblowers...

This is nothing but uncritically shilling US propaganda. The same types of people who'd have insisted the Iraq War dossier was authentic.

Ah I see "US propaganda good, Chinese propaganda bad..." - as if the same posters who routinely deep-throat whatever propaganda the US spurts out, would uncritically gorge upon a non-peer-reviewed Chinese study accusing e.g. the US of developing and releasing the coronavirus in China. As if the US has a good track record with whistleblowers...

This is nothing but uncritically shilling US propaganda. The same types of people who'd have insisted the Iraq War dossier was authentic.

Certainly your concept or theory, as you imply
    {e.g...US of developing and releasing the coronavirus in China}

Could well deserve some contemplation,
    ...if such a comparable Virologist has a similar compiled PDF report to Doctor Li Meng-Yan to peruse, if so feel free to link to it.

Even a bit of coverage in the tabloids ?
    e.g. https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1334770/China-coronavirus-cover-up-man-made-proof-Wuhan-weapons-lab-conspiracy-theory-COVID-origin
    or a claim on a national daytime tv show such as the LooseWomen (1.5m viewers).

Yea Loose Women - our last bastion of journalistic integrity...

There isn't even a defence of gullibility for this - how the fuck are posters pushing this with a straight face, when everyone reading knows they don't believe a word of the report - when everyone knows these posters are fully aware that the report is bullshit, that the posters want to promote just for propaganda purposes?

It's a load of bollocks which belongs on facebook conspiracy theory pages.

when everyone reading knows they don't believe a word of the report
    Everybody knows they (everybody) don't believe a (single word) in the report of the Chinese Virologist, that was uploaded just 48hrs or so ago?
    That was fast, for everybody on the planet, well done folks!

Great bunch of lads:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51403795

Story was reported elsewhere around the world also:
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/11/chinese-virologist-says-she-has-proof-covid-19-was-made-in-wuhan-lab/
    https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-chinese-defector-claims-covid19-came-from-military-lab/news-story/69c3fabab4639548d2dcddb7059aab96
    https://in.news.yahoo.com/virologist-dr-li-meng-says-051515200.html
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/chinese-virologist-government-intentionally-coronavirus

Oops, still being looked at by the US:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-covid-19-origins-investigation-wuhan-lab-accident/

Everyone goes on about China/Russia being a danger to us all in terms of disinformation/propaganda - there's a "reds under the bed" propaganda scare about disinformation posted on our social media from these states - and right here, in our face, is US propaganda and people shilling it when knowing it is false...

This thread, and the posters promoting this - are some of the best examples, that it is the US that spreads enormous amounts of disinformation on our social media and in our societies - making the US a far greater threat to the integrity of our politics and public discussion.

You won't find a single poster pushing the propaganda in this thread today, owning up to the fact that it is wrong to spread unverified disinformation, later on when it fades into obscurity (with the damage already done, of the disinformation having been spread, without needing to be verified). Yet you will find loads of posters here, who do it.

It's pretty obvious that US propaganda, and ample posters willing to amplify/back it uncritically, knowing it is false - is the done thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Interesting that the virus is virtually non-existent in China now.

I always felt this was deliberate by China against the West.

Maybe I'm nuts but I'm usually right about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I’ve boards.ie reviewed it and it looks good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The institute which claims to be backing this paper is a Steve Bannon vehicle. Another fake charity for him to take loads of money from wealthy people while pretending to actually do something and paying no tax.

This specific institute's stated goal is to attack the political structures of China and spread anti-China propaganda in the US.

It has no history of ever getting involved in science, in publishing scientific papers or peer reviewing any others.

"But it says something bad about China, therefore it must be true!"

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    The institute which claims to be backing this paper is a Steve Bannon vehicle. Another fake charity for him to take loads of money from wealthy people while pretending to actually do something and paying no tax.

This specific institute's stated goal is to attack the political structures of China and spread anti-China propaganda in the US.

It has no history of ever getting involved in science, in publishing scientific papers or peer reviewing any others.

The timing actually strikes me as very convenient for setting up the narrative for the upcoming US election debates - China virus, China virus, China Virus

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

ETXkmoXXQAAtGxq.jpeg.jpg
    tunguska wrote: »
    This is eerily similar to Stephen King's The Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting that china have been using their own vaccine since the 22 july

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Interesting that the virus is virtually non-existent in China now.

I always felt this was deliberate by China against the West.

Maybe I'm nuts but I'm usually right about things.

Very true, think the same now

It was all propaganda

People are seeing that, finally

Think back to December/January

Just 2 examples

Media was full of pics and video's of people dieing in the street in Wuhan, people being welded into buildings to keep the virus in etc

That dead body was put there for a photo OP

They welded an exit door to direct people to go through the heat scanners at front of building

Where are all the people dieing on the street here?

Case fatality rate is 0.24% for all ages, so much for 2-4% death rate

ICU admission rate is 0.12%, they talked about 10-15% needing ventilators back then

We got played and played well

Well done China, you got me and bad

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20200915_Website.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

combat14 wrote: »
    interesting that china have been using their own vaccine since the 22 july

Also interesing that China blocked domestic but not international flights out of Wuhan.

That decision was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

seamus wrote: »

Any proof of that? After saying the Netflix Cuties promotional stuff being all faked by the alt-right until Netflix came out and apologised themselves for it. It would good to have back up that this is actually the case rather than just automatically blaming the current boogyman.

Anyway haven't read the paper yet but if it's anything like what's been released before under various blogs it won't prove anything but will highlight that articles like the Nature one which says it has not been subject to human alteration are weaker than they should be.

Edit: this article is probably relevant, as I said in the main body of article the idea that the virus is man-made is most definitely not proven.
    Saying that it COULDN'T have been subject to human alteration however involves a selective viewing (ignoring either willfully or not) of previous research.
    https://medium.com/@yurideigin/lab-made-cov2-genealogy-through-the-lens-of-gain-of-function-research-f96dd7413748

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i've just read the first 2 pages and there's an awful lot of talk about censorship, vested interests, "widely challenged" etc not befitting a scientific paper. also daft sentences like "the natural origin theory, although widely accepted, lacks substantial support."

having said that, it is quite plausible this thing was created in a lab and let out via accident. specifically the Institute of Virology in.... Wuhan. where they were working on.... bat coronaviruses (as per diplomatic cables from the US 2018). and several "incidents" over the years in relation to SARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

froog wrote: »
    i've just read the first 2 pages and there's an awful lot of talk about censorship, vested interests, "widely challenged" etc not befitting a scientific paper. also daft sentences like "the natural origin theory, although widely accepted, lacks substantial support."

having said that, it is quite plausible this thing was created in a lab and let out via accident. specifically the Institute of Virology in.... Wuhan. where they were working on.... bat coronaviruses (as per diplomatic cables from the US 2018). and several "incidents" over the years in relation to SARS.

To be fair , I have read a fair few Chinese academic publications , and the language is often a little -... clunky... and more colloquial than technical (not excessively so but more than would be accepted in a publication here

But I cannot understand how this is Current Affairs (unless that category is very poorly named) - this article is just nonsense, no other word for it , makes Trump seem like an Einstein in comparison.

And the first post links to Loose Women and the Sun ?

I might be missing out on the fun bit (from social & Fun) so if its all satire, fair enough, otherwise it is just ridiculous stupidity that verges on being dangerous

And those suspicious about how the virus is practically gone in China - (a) China is run by CCP and so the government was able to make decisions and restrictions that a western democracy could never do (b) it was already a 24/7 monitored state - your every movement is recorded and traceable so when there are outbreaks its an immediate trace on contacts (c) to enter any building you need to present your app confirming you are Covid free

and a whole bunch of other measures. Universities re-opened this week … on campus... without masks ( for a country which already had a tendency to wear masks ) this is done because they locked down and crushed the virus.....

I read of the situation in parts of Ireland … and I truly wonder about how serious people take this pandemic . I am sure people who are affected by the pandemic and have seen its impact on their family etc are much less concerned with conspiracy theories, that are in any case pathetic nonsense on any critical review, and more with wishing to see the end of the nightmare it is for many

There are numerous prestigious scientific sources to debunk the Lab made nonsense.. There is also the fact that Xi is determined to retain power for the longest possible time, and this outbreak initially threatened that plan for the first time since his ascension - makes no sense for him to want to unlease a virus, and (just for you conspiracy guys) if it were some one doing same to try remove him, there would have been a massive purge within the ranks which did not occur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Very true, think the same now

It was all propaganda

People are seeing that, finally

Think back to December/January

Just 2 examples

Media was full of pics and video's of people dieing in the street in Wuhan, people being welded into buildings to keep the virus in etc

That dead body was put there for a photo OP

They welded an exit door to direct people to go through the heat scanners at front of building

Where are all the people dieing on the street here?

Case fatality rate is 0.24% for all ages, so much for 2-4% death rate

ICU admission rate is 0.12%, they talked about 10-15% needing ventilators back then

We got played and played well

Well done China, you got me and bad

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20200915_Website.pdf

That’s a 14 day report covering the first 2 weeks of September, it is vastly different now than back in March/April.

Are you being deliberately disingenuous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

paw patrol wrote: »
    i#ve been saying this since march. the idea it came from a middle ages style animal/food market was beyond fanciful.

the magic market that was just down the road from the level 4 lab that holds all this type of stuff . If you believe the wet-market story you'd believe anything

Maybe a certain low paid lab worker in charge of throwing sample animals in the furnace thought....could make a bit of cash selling these to my cousin who works in the market

Advertisement