Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beakerjoe vs The Walrus - THE REVEAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Coming in at number 5 , putting 15 points in their pockets is......

Alice Merton - No Roots, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly.

Some great songs put forward, but this one is definitely the discovery of the round for me personally. An instant favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Some great songs put forward, but this one is definitely the discovery of the round for me personally. An instant favourite.

I knew 3 songs I think, really was enjoyable from my POV. So many new bands in my cross hairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I don't know how many times I have wanted to put this song in a walrus only to subsequently forget about it when doing up my list.

With the three walrus' that came up close together, I was determined that she would fit into one. I'm glad this song has gone down well, it's a very nice, catchy tune and her voice is amazing.

So do you all agree with my ratings?

While you discuss the first round, the next round shall hopefully begin tomorrow around 1130am , that ok?

Sorry the first round was all over the shop in terms of revealing. Real life kicked my behind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Well I think my song was clearly best. Apart from that I'd say spot on! Maybe put Necro last in one of the upcoming categories just to be safe.

• Advertisement

I can easily say in terms of one round, my goal to get awesome new music and broaden my horizons has been completed.

And thats just one round. Some great tracks have been discovered all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I could not think of any songs from the last five years. I just went for the Daddy Yankee & Janet Jackson collaboration. I don't listen to it even semi-regularly and I don't know who Daddy Yankee is but I thought to myself "Decent tune, this will do!":pac:

Round 2 will begin later this morning. Lots of songs which haven't graced my ears, from bands I didnt know I existed.

1130am..... its on

If this is the music video round, I'm fully prepared to be in last place. Don't really watch enough music videos and I definitely panicked a little with my choice.

If this is the music video round, I'm fully prepared to be in last place. Don't really watch enough music videos and I definitely panicked a little with my choice.

giphy.gif

On that note this was a fun round, I feel I got double the treats with some new and very enjoyable tunes, plus a wide variety of different videos.

Are we ready?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, I struggled with this round too. I never watch videos, I had to go back to mtv days!

Who's that band with the treadmills in one vid, and the zero G plane in another? I presume we'll see them :p

Yeah, I struggled with this round too. I never watch videos, I had to go back to mtv days!

Who's that band with the treadmills in one vid, and the zero G plane in another? I presume we'll see them :p

OK Go.
    I did consider them myself, but figured other people would too and wanted to go for something a bit less obvious.

In at 10th post , with 10 pointarinnos, its...

The Gaslamp Killer - In the dark, submitted by
    Phatkev

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No,

A haunting piece, very Massive Attack-esque, or maybe DJ Shadow like. Its very well paced and it’s a satisfying listen

The video compliments it very well. Its visually stunning and the song. I wont lie, I have an urge for a 99 after watching it, I dont know why!?!

Overall its a great piece with a suited video, it would have placed higher but for other submissions

In at 11th spot with 9 pointos, its

Red Vex - Itch -, submitted by
    Reberetta.

Have I listened to this artist before? no
    Have I listened to this song before? No

The song for me is very familiar, it reminds me of another track I just can't put my finger on.

After my first listen I get “if Alanis Morrissette had a nu-metal band” vibes. It also has hints of Chester Benningtons “Why wont you die”, but thats not the track it reminds me of. Fake bonus point for helping me figure this track out.

But I ramble. I like the track. Its something i clearly missed out in my youth. The video suits and its very par for the course for when it was released, but does it improve the song….. I think not.

The track is a fine addition to my playlist. It brings me right back to Fibbers. (is that a good thing though?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think I might also be in contention for the last place. I took a big gamble with a song in a foreign language, so don't expect much. . .

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think I might also be in contention for the last place. I took a big gamble with a song in a foreign language, so don't expect much. . .

giphy.gif

In at 9th spot, collecting 11 points in the process .....

JSBX - Wail, submitted by
    Rikand

Weird Al is directing you say? Sign me up.

So first you have DNCE…..now JSBX…. I notice a trend here.

I like this song immediately, it has a great sound and it's a nice driving song (my first listen I was behind the wheel.) I'm not able to make out every lyric, but I am partial to a song that is not fully clear. Gives me scope to sing what I like.

The lead singer gives me a nice OTT Elvis homage to his performance (or parody, whichever) which has me enjoying the overall sound.

Does the video improve it? Its a fun video, its a fun song and the visual madness does compliment the tune very well. An enjoyable listen.

In at 12th position, collecting 8 points is....

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel submitted by
    Osh.

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? Yes

Ah nostalgic 80’s track and video. Groundbreaking at the time (well for me anyway) and I still love watching this track. The song itself is fun track and the video certainly enhances it. Am I he only person who tries to mimic Gabriels movements when I heard the track ?

Overall its a song I enjoy, but with tough competition, this one wont be placing any higher sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In at 12th position, collecting 8 points is....

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel submitted by
    Osh.

Ah nostalgic 80’s track and video. Groundbreaking at the time (well for me anyway) and I still love watching this track. The song itself is fun track and the video certainly enhances it. Am I he only person who tries to mimic Gabriels movements when I heard the track ?

Overall its a song I enjoy, but with tough competition, this one wont be placing any higher sadly.

Ah, a classic indeed.
    Some great selections so far. I'm putting down The Gaslamp Killer and JSBX for further investigation.

8th spot, with a smooth 12 points is....

November rain - Guns N’ Roses, submitted by
    ShaneU

Have I listened to this artist before? yes
    Have I listened to this song before? yes

While Im sure Its not a popular opinion I didnt like this when it was first released. It was no Welcome to the Jungle or Paradise City .... or even You will be mine for that matter. Yet people loved it. (cue backlash from boardies everywhere).

As I grew, I appreciated it more as my taste evolved and I believe it to be a fine track, in which Slash excels.

The video is iconic, its pure 80’s band bollox and I love it.

Over all I enjoy it, but other songs will push it down my ranking sadly

• Advertisement

13th position, picking up 7 points is.......(as predicted)

OK GO - Here it goes again- submitted by
    Kolido

Have I listened to this song before? yes

A song I know very well. A fun, high energy track and with a decent sound. It's nothing that ever wowed me though, despite it being enjoyable. But it is a song I do like.

The video is impressive and very enjoyable, as are most OK GO videos. It adds to the song no doubt and makes the song more memorable.

A good song, with an enjoyable video but nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Surely Christopher Walken will make an appearance....

13 points goes to 7th spot, which is......

The 1975 - Girls submitted by
    Also Starring Le Var Burton

I know of the band, but no nothing about their work. I toyed with placing GnR higher as its so iconic, but this song deserved its due. Yeah its not a huge mega track, but its very enjoyable for different reasons.

I enjoy this. Its a simple riff and a simple vocals, its nothing grand, but it works. Its easy going and its a fine track.

The video is cute. Again, its a simple concept but simple works and the video does enhance my overall experience.

A track that would place higher but for other, better submissions. A good song IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Surely Christopher Walken will make an appearance....
    PitifulFortunateFlounder-size_restricted.gif

Settling in at 14th spot, gaining a 6 point allocation, it is....

Weezer - Pork and Beans , submitted by
    Gru

I like Weezer, very easy to listen to and this track is typical Weezer. A song I happily have on my active playlist.

The video is a nice homage to internet fads (remember the Britney one, eeek.... and was that K-Fed?) and its quite a decent video, esp at the climax.

While I like the track, there are better entries this round to keep it from placing higher. Its good, but not great.

6th place, winning 14 points in the process, is.....

Mylene Farmer - California , submitted by
    Irish Aris

A beautiful track, well paced with soft, delicate vocals. Its very smooth to listen to and the accompanying video is captivating to say the least. Very impressed with this unknown to me artist.

Overall its a nice combo to artistic imagery, interesting story and an easy to listen to sound. Nice choice.

13 points goes to 7th spot, which is......

The 1975 - Girls submitted by
    Also Starring Le Var Burton

I know of the band, but no nothing about their work. I toyed with placing GnR higher as its so iconic, but this song deserved its due. Yeah its not a huge mega track, but its very enjoyable for different reasons.

I enjoy this. Its a simple riff and a simple vocals, its nothing grand, but it works. Its easy going and its a fine track.

The video is cute. Again, its a simple concept but simple works and the video does enhance my overall experience.

A track that would place higher but for other, better submissions. A good song IMO

:)

Considering I was gearing myself up for last place, I'm damn happy with 7th place here. Wasn't sure if the song would go down well, as its definitely a bit of a "marmite" song.

15th position, with a 5 point haul, it's...

Fountains of Wayne - Staceys Mom, submitted by
    Sawduck

Now I don't hate this song despite its placing, its fine. Its easy to sing along to but I feel its just performs badly compared to the other tracks submitted. Its goofy, funny and easy to listen but its not going to knock others above it from their perches.

The video is what it is, it fits the song perfectly and I don't think any other video would do it justice. A fun romp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

I changed to this one beaker, no matter

• Advertisement

Really sorry I didn't get an entry in for this BJ, I had intended to but pesky real life just got in the way. :(

Am enjoying being a lurker here though, lots of new stuff to look forward to when time allows. I might even PM you on a belated "what would have been my entry" when you're finished, help with the Walrus withdrawals a little! :p
    Propping up 4th spot, swirling in 16 points......

LP - Lost on you - submitted by
    Kolido

I like the vocals and it’s pleasing my ears initially. By the time we hit the chorus, I feel the song improves and meets its potential. On repeatedly listens the song continues to please me. Very No Doubt/Gwen Stefani sound from this. An enjoyable listen.

Its a perfect song for a day lounging at the front porch in the sun…..why do I live in Ireland. Look forward to researching the artist.

Lovely choice. I'd also recommend checking out her live performance of this on Jools Holland. Her voice is astonishing, she can actually do that whistling thing in the verses and those remarkable high notes in the bridge even without studio trickery.

I saw her perform live at The Academy in Dublin a few years ago, back in the days when live gigs were still a thing.

Advertisement