Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beakerjoe vs The Walrus - THE REVEAL!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'm not confident about my song in this round

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sawduck wrote: »
    I'm not confident about my song in this round

Checks Sawducks entry...

No comment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Suddenly not expecting to do too well in this Walrus at all. Well... I can't win them all.

giphy.gif

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ah well, it was a bit of a gamble. I'm obsessed with their new album at the moment so when you asked for new, I had to. I love that song but get how it might not work for everyone. Sounds like you liked it well enough and it's growing on you though, next week you can come back and retrospectively award me the win ;)

Great choice EN.
    I haven't listened to I Like Trains in more than 10 years and rediscovered them last week with the new album. I really find that their sound has evolved nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Great choice EN.
    I haven't listened to I Like Trains in more than 10 years and rediscovered them last week with the new album. I really find that their sound has evolved nicely.
    I think yours was a great choice too. How did I do so badly in your walrus? :p

And I agree, I loved Elegies To Lessons Learned but had drifted away from them since. This album is a cracker though

• Advertisement

I think I shall save the rest until tomorrow morningx day 1030am. Been a wild day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The suspense is killing me.

Arghus wrote: »
    The suspense is killing me.

Ok, real life is under control and I shall finish the round today. Resume in 30 minutes guys?

I apologies for the delays, I know this game works better when there is a flow to each round.

Back we go, in at a lovely 6th place with a tidy 14 points, its ....

The HU - Wold Totem, submitted by
    Fixxxer

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

Yet another band/artist I know zero about. Am I that out of touch..... no its the children who are wrong.

I like the slow intro, its a nice build…. Not sold on the violins though but we shall see where it goes. Sounds very tribal, very satanic chanty but I do enjoy the song as it kicks in….. Remind me of Vaders theme song in WWE in a way......a small way.

I'm thinking initially, that as a song I won't listen to it on my playlist, however I do think it is a very enjoyable musical piece. It could 100 percent be used in movies and set the mood for a scene. But the song grew and grew on me as it went one and its an excellent tune. Very morish. It’s not a toe tapping classic or a sing a long track, but it’s very powerful and I appreciate it. Very happy to hear this a few more times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Back we go, in at a lovely 6th place with a tidy 14 points, its ....

The HU - Wold Totem, submitted by
    Fixxxer

Yet another band/artist I know zero about. Am I that out of touch..... no its the children who are wrong.

I like the slow intro, its a nice build…. Not sold on the violins though but we shall see where it goes. Sounds very tribal, very satanic chanty but I do enjoy the song as it kicks in….. Remind me of Vaders theme song in WWE in a way......a small way.

I'm thinking initially, that as a song I won't listen to it on my playlist, however I do think it is a very enjoyable musical piece. It could 100 percent be used in movies and set the mood for a scene. But the song grew and grew on me as it went one and its an excellent tune. Very morish. It’s not a toe tapping classic or a sing a long track, but it’s very powerful and I appreciate it. Very happy to hear this a few more times.

I almost went with this in someone else's walrus game, great pick

• Advertisement

Strolling in at 15th place with 5 points, its....

Janet Jackson vs Daddy Yankee - Made for now -, submitted by
    Reberetta

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes

Daddy Yankee…. Hmmmm…. Did Not have high hopes once I saw that name. Janet can be excellent with the right material, so her appearance here may be a positive here.

The song is very samey and repetitive for me, which isn't always a bad thing but the core of the song is uninspiring for me.

It’s not a bad track and thankfully Daddy Yankee isn't annoying me too much like on some of his previous work. Not Janet’s best work, but I don't hate it by any stretch. Janets vocals give it a softness but theres nothing making me listen to this track more sadly. Better songs in the round send this to the wrong side of the chart.

Coming in at number 5 , putting 15 points in their pockets is......

Alice Merton - No Roots, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly.

Really like the intro, very smooth and eases me into the verse nicely. Very funky melody and the voice of Ms Merton (tee hee) reminds me of Florence of The Machine fame. It's an easy listen, my toe is tapping and I quite enjoy it. It hasn't blown me away but it has made its way into my latest playlist. As I get through my first listen it sounds familiar, so I may have heard it before. I really like this.

On further listens its appearing more catchy and encourages me to sing along. The voice of Alice is beautiful and someone I would like to check out more.

In at 16th place, with a mere 4 points, we have......

Wishbone Ash - We stand as one, submitted by
    Sawduck

Have I listened to this song before? No,

Never heard of the artist.... and yet again I feel behind in the times. A very 00’s feel off the intro, like its leading up to a song which wouldn’t be a miss on a UFC game soundtrack, bit of an annoying melody if I'm honest. The vocals are not what I was suspecting considering the intro, so I am pleasantly surprised as the song improves once the singing begins.

The guitar solo mid way through is a nice touch and I don't hate this song, but it hasn't grabbed me either. The drums heading back into the next stage bring the song to life and it really improves the track going forward but then we are back to the annoying melody. Will it make it’s way into my Spotify playlist….nope. But it’s not awful either.

Not a big fan of the song but I think I may like the bands other work.

Propping up 4th spot, swirling in 16 points......

LP - Lost on you - submitted by
    Kolido

I like the vocals and it’s pleasing my ears initially. By the time we hit the chorus, I feel the song improves and meets its potential. On repeatedly listens the song continues to please me. Very No Doubt/Gwen Stefani sound from this. An enjoyable listen.

Its a perfect song for a day lounging at the front porch in the sun…..why do I live in Ireland. Look forward to researching the artist.

This leaves me with the sinister six..... 3 top places available and 3 relegation spots.

Left to place are

JP LIZ VI
    PHATKEV
    NECRO
    JOHNGREENFAN
    SHANEU
    S1IPPY

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here we go again folks

ab4.gif

In 16th spot, picking up 3 points is...

Love yourself - Justin Bieber, submitted by
    Necro

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

I don’t hate the song, its not a bad submission. I am partial to the right Bieber track (had you selected Sorry you would have fared better).

I like the story the song tells and it’s far from abysmal, but the song overall is a bit meh. It falls flat for me as it’s just a bit bland and boring overall. Nothing to take this song into the high places sadly, especially as it suffered from being over played by Irish radio stations.

Propping up the bar with 17 points, its the 3rd place for .......

Father John Misty - “Mr. Tillman”, submitted by
    S!ippy

I am unfamiliar with the work of this guy, but it's a nice easy going song straight off the bat. It's a song that once it gets to the chorus I am feeling good, just like the artist. I can imagine playing this song on a nice long drive over route 66, in a relaxing way. The lyrics are witty and clever, and easily delivered.

It’s a feel good tune and I’m very happy to add this to my playlist. My old real criticism is that it's only 3 minutes long. I was disappointed it was over. Which says it all really. Good choice

18th place is held by the following, earning 2 points as a result......

Paradise - George Ezra , submitted by
    JohnGreenFan

I am familiar with the artist but never a fan of his voice. His voice is booming and deep, which isnt a bad thing but I just don't like it. From watching the video I notice George is rather young, clean shaven and thin.... I had imagined a larger gentleman with a big grizzly beard at the least in my strange little mind.

As I listen to this song, I feel the artist suffers as his voice is so distinct that his songs all sound very similar. It’s upbeat and has energy, no doubt about it but I'm just not a fan personally. Whatever it is it, he just doesn't work for me as an singer. I will say that I didn't hate it as much as I initially thought, but Ezra is just not for me ultimately.

I could see the song on an add for a government ran agency hocking the wild atlantic way perhaps.

In a daunting 2nd place, racking up 18 points is.....

Duckwrth vs Kyle Dion - World on Wheels, submitted by
    ShaneU

Straight way after the first 5 second I’m loving it, so upbeat, so funky….dare I say fresh. Remind me of some of early N.E.R.D. tracks. It’s got me nodding in approval as we head past the first chorus. It wouldn't go amiss in a Trolls movie, which is a compliment I assure you. To put it another way, Justin Timberlakes "Can't stop the feeling" wishes it was this good.

Very happy with this and you don’t get enough on the first listen. This track is so good, it makes you..... no, compels you to revisit it in order to get the good feels. Very impressed with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

oh sh1t!

phatkev wrote: »
    oh sh1t!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Very happy with this and you don’t get enough on the first listen. This track is so good, it makes you..... no, compels you to revisit it in order to get the good feels. Very impressed with this.
    I listened about ten times in a row when I first heard it! :D

In at the end, 19th place and 1 pointy, its....

Imagine Dragons - Thunder, submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

I am not a huge fan of the band, they have their moments, but ultimately they aren't for me. This song is uninspiring for me...... wait Im being nice as Liz is probably reviewing my walrus submissions..... this song is horrible.

The sample used is so grating, which makes it a choir to listen to. It's nothing I would add to my playlist sadly and a miss for me, it feels like a very lazy song and one that would make me change hit next in an instant. Sorry Liz.... it's just one round right.

Looks at the views of this song on Youtube .....YOU PEOPLE SICKEN ME!

That means that the following track picks up a "massif" 19 points. At number 1, it is......

Brutus - War, submitted by
    Phatkev

I like the intro, its a nice slow build and the vocalist has a wonderful voice, slightly similar (slightly) to Dolares of the Cranberries. Was disappointed at first that the song didnt kick in.,........then it kicked in.

Fcuk me I am loving this much needed change of pace. Very impressed with the sound, the vocalist steps it up too as we continue, its quite amazing. Defo one for my playlist, love it!

A rollercoaster of a song and I really enjoyed it. It was very close between 1st and 2nd, like apples and organges... I loved them both. However, Brutus just about inched it. A deserved number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In at the end, 19th place and 1 pointy, its....

Imagine Dragons - Thunder, submitted by JP Liz V1
    Have I listened to this song before?

I am not a huge fan of the band, they have their moments, but ultimately they aren't for me. This song is uninspiring for me...... wait Im being nice as Liz is probably reviewing my walrus submissions..... this song is horrible.

The sample used is so grating, which makes it a choir to listen to. It's nothing I would add to my playlist sadly and a miss for me, it feels like a very lazy song and one that would make me change hit next in an instant. Sorry Liz.... it's just one round right.

Looks at the views of this song on Youtube .....YOU PEOPLE SICKEN ME!

Like the Dail I will be going into isolation, hibernation :o scarleh for me

So after round 1, we have the score board.

Phtakev 19 points
    ShaneU 18 Points
    s1ippy - - 17 Points
    Kolido - 16 Points
    Mustang shelly - 15 Points
    Fixxxer - 14 Points
    the purple tin - 13 Points
    Gru - 12 Points
    Osh - 11 Points
    Rikand - 10 Points
    Electric Nitwit - 9 Points
    Iris Aris - 8 Points
    Argus - 7 points
    ASLVB - 6 points
    Reberetta - 5 Points
    Sawduck - 4 Points
    Necro - 3 Points
    JohnGreenFan - 2 Points
    JP Liz V1 - 1 Point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

That means that the following track picks up a "massif" 19 points. At number 1, it is......

Brutus - War, submitted by
    Phatkev

I like the intro, its a nice slow build and the vocalist has a wonderful voice, slightly similar (slightly) to Dolares of the Cranberries. Was disappointed at first that the song didnt kick in.,........then it kicked in.

Fcuk me I am loving this much needed change of pace. Very impressed with the sound, the vocalist steps it up too as we continue, its quite amazing. Defo one for my playlist, love it!

A rollercoaster of a song and I really enjoyed it. It was very close between 1st and 2nd, like apples and organges... I loved them both. However, Brutus just about inched it. A deserved number 1.

Woohoo! Glad you liked it! I've only come across they recently and was super impressed with the wall of sound they're able to create as a 3 piece. Also the fact that the vocalist is also the drummer is really impressive, I've seen many a talented musician try and fail this miserably

phatkev wrote: »
    Woohoo! Glad you liked it! I've only come across they recently and was super impressed with the wall of sound they're able to create as a 3 piece. Also the fact that the vocalist is also the drummer is really impressive, I've seen many a talented musician try and fail this miserably

She's a regular Phil Collins.

A wall of sound is a very fitting description, it's a wild ride and happy to buy a ticket again.

Congrats Kev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Coming in at number 5 , putting 15 points in their pockets is......

Alice Merton - No Roots, submitted by
    Mustang Shelly.

Really like the intro, very smooth and eases me into the verse nicely. Very funky melody and the voice of Ms Merton (tee hee) reminds me of Florence of The Machine fame. It's an easy listen, my toe is tapping and I quite enjoy it. It hasn't blown me away but it has made its way into my latest playlist. As I get through my first listen it sounds familiar, so I may have heard it before. I really like this.

On further listens its appearing more catchy and encourages me to sing along. The voice of Alice is beautiful and someone I would like to check out more.

Great choice Shelly, I really like her!! Saw her live couple of years ago at Whelan's, she was very pleasant.

Advertisement