Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports - "exemption for ....senior club championship"

Options
  • 16-09-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

In the plan for level 2 published on Gov.ie last night here

it says

Sports
    Training

Outdoors: training can take place in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Indoors: training, exercise and dance classes can take place in pods of up to 6 inside (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Has any further guidance been given on what is meant by senior club championship? Is that championship at national level? County level? Or something else?

Is that definition restricted to specific sports or does it apply to the senior teams playing in championships from any sport? Just GAA or soccer, rugby etc. too?

So just to use an example to illustrate what I'm asking: Could a badminton club which has a senior team that is involved in a national championship allow training indoors in groups larger than pods of 6 due to this exemption?

Any pointers to relevant guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Sounds like it's mainly aimed at GAA senior county club championships which then moves on to provincial level and national. Inter-county sports is a separate category.

Just my opinion and it amazes me how little detail there is in these documents, but it seems like a badminton club would be covered by the same exemption for training, so long as it is applied to the top division/level of the sport only.

plodder wrote: »
    Sounds like it's mainly aimed at GAA senior county club championships which then moves on to provincial level and national. Inter-county sports is a separate category.

Just my opinion and it amazes me how little detail there is in these documents, but it seems like a badminton club would be covered by the same exemption for training, so long as it is applied to the top division/level of the sport only.

No national senior club championships this year. The Corofin lads who work with me are raging

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

No national senior club championships this year. The Corofin lads who work with me are raging

OK - I'm assuming that's GAA you're talking about that has cancelled senior club championships right? (I don't follow GAA so I don't know...)

The wording on gov.ie doesn't seem to be restricted to GAA though. It just says senior club championship, not GAA senior championships.

There are other sports which have not cancelled their senior championship competitions.

Advertisement