Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Del Piero had a better build up and is admittedly an excellent goal - moreso than the other.

Bergkamp's goal is also excellent and has a touch so deft ill have to rewatch it a few more times to make sure it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Semi Final 1
    Josimar 1-10 Del Piero

Semi-final 2
    Bergkamp 10-1 Gemill

Final goes live at 19:30 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Steven's picks were toast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, missed the semis but happy with the winners :)

Early canvassing here, look at the pass from this angle

4f26no.gif

Blind pass round the corner, played to perfection. Then the finish is a pass into the top corner. Just beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Steven's picks were toast!

Alot of sheep around here....ive never been afraid to go against the grain...

I have a theory there is a hint of english among some of the voters....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

This is it folks. The grand finale. We've whittled down nearly 50 goals and now there are only two left. Two European maestros plying their trade on the biggest stage of them all. The premise of this tournament is to find the best of them all though. So now it's up to you to make that last call... 90 mins. Ready?! Let's go.
    Alessandro Del Piero (Italy vs France, 2006)

13903622-500x364.jpg

VS

Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands vs Argentina, 1998)

default.jpg

After all this, it has to be Dennis. Always in my top-5 WC and all-time non-Irish goals and I will never forget my open jaw and nearly hitting the ceiling after jumping up watching it live.

Never fails to make my hair stand up on end or put a smile on my face.

Magical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bergkamp, for the many, many reasons I've stated before but will now do so again

The pass from De Boer

The deft touch to control such a long range pass.

The sheer audacity to nutmeg Roberto Ayala

And then the cool, calm and collected finish.

The fact it decided the game makes it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Of the two goals: Bergkamp. The skill and execution is superhuman.

Though I wouldn't put it above Maradona's second v England in '86 or Carlos Alberto V Italy in' 70. But I guess democracy is stupid sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Alessandro Del Pieroooooooooooooooooooooooo

My nomination. I was born in Florence and spent five months there before my parents moved back here, so technically I'm Italian. I mean, I'm not really Italian, but since Italy are great at sports, I'm Italian. I support Italy in everything over yes, even Ireland.:p

This is my second favourite international strike. The first was Grosso earlier in the match, the important one; the ice-breaker. Del Piero's was the chilled cocktail served afterwards, with more flavour, admittedly requiring more skill to conjure up; all in all, possibly the greatest three minutes in Italian sporting history.

A remarkable thing about this goal is at the three second mark in the video you can see Del Piero, number seven, at the far side of the screen, the deepest Italian player other than Buffon. He runs almost the full length of the pitch to touch the ball in approximately 14 seconds; I don't know how far that is, but there are some pro female sprinters who might be pleased with that time. He doesn't stop, just squares up a little and smashes a belter of a sidefoot into the top corner as though it's all a piece of cake in a day's work, leaving Lehmann utterly distraught and bemused and, the best thing is, like Spencer Davis Group,  keeps on running!

Imagine having the composure after a lung busting run, in the World Cup semi-finals on Germany's home turf, to produce that finish! Three of the best Italian players of all-time are involved, and Gilardino, who was a skilful, prolific goalscorer and underrated beyond Italian shores.

Cannavaro charging like a bull,
    Del Piero chasing like a cheetah, 
    Totti with the vision of an eagle,
    Gilardino more aware than a God. 
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:

P.S. Bergkamp's is a half-decent effort too mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Has to be Bergkamp for me. The scorer of more than his fair share of my favourite ever goals from a team I hated (Arsenal) back in the day!

The pass, the first touch, the move inside Ayala and then the finish.

Just amazing

Early canvassing here, look at the pass from this angle

4f26no.gif

Blind pass round the corner, played to perfection. Then the finish is a pass into the top corner. Just beautiful

Voting del Piero

It's so close though, I'll be very happy to see Bergkamp claim his inevitable victory

Reberetta wrote: »

A remarkable thing about this goal is at the three second mark in the video you can see Del Piero, number seven, at the far side of the screen, the deepest Italian player other than Buffon. He runs almost the full length of the pitch to touch the ball in approximately 14 seconds; I don't know how far that is, but there are some pro female sprinters who might be pleased with that time. He doesn't stop, just squares up a little and smashes a belter of a sidefoot into the top corner as though it's all a piece of cake in a day's work, leaving Lehmann utterly distraught and bemused and, the best thing is, like Spencer Davis Group,  keeps on running!

Imagine having the composure after a lung busting run, in the World Cup semi-finals on Germany's home turf, to produce that finish!

I never realised just how deep he was. I knew it was deep, but that is in fact ridiculous.

He's not even in the German half when Gilardino gets the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Del Piero

Because Bergkamp broke our hearts in 1994...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Both goals deserve to be here in the final, 2 of my favourite goals in this competition.

I will allow my personal bias take charge and vote for Dennis Bergkamp because he is an Arsenal legend.
    Seriously though: a 40-50 meters pass and he stops the ball flawlessly, changes direction and leaves the defender standing there and shoots with an amazing curve. Brilliant goal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Haven’t followed thread and know little enough about soccer but I watched both and Alessandro Del Piero‘a was impressive so going for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

When Mack announced this tournament, the first goal that sprung to mind was Bergkamp's. Is it really the greatest goal in WC history, well it is certainly up there and a personal favorite of mine.

Though both goals have similar ingredients, great assists, great techniques, and great players. A worthy final imo. However, I'm going to stick with my initial thought, and voting Bergkamp.

• Advertisement

Del Piero

Because Bergkamp broke our hearts in 1994...

Packie did. Bergkamp's goal was a great move. Packie had money on the match it seems; like he did for Schillachi's goal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Maybe voting not knowing much about soccer was a good thing. I don't know the lead-up to these goals (previous matches, etc), or any grudges that may hold over either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

You've all got it wrong. Maradonna against England is untouchable. Bergkamp is brilliant too, but Diego should have won for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

As I said previously in this thread, I didn't have as much appreciation as I should have for Del Piero's goal before repeated viewings over the last few days. ts such a stunning move, pass and finish

Thought I'd be voting Bergkamp all the way through this, but its such a tough decision. However, a reminder that he is an Arsenal legend is enough to make me say...

Del Piero, final answer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

trashcan wrote: »
    You've all got it wrong. Maradonna against England is untouchable. Bergkamp is brilliant too, but Diego should have won for me.

Sure there would be no point running these comps if it were that easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

While Del Piero's goal is brilliant, it isn't ludicrous. There's a lot of beautiful elements but each individual part isn't impossible to believe by itself.

Wheras Bergkamp's first touch simply isn't mortal, the through the legs quick thinking while changing direction is even more impossible and the flawlessly executed finish is stupendous.

Arghus wrote: »
    While Del Piero's goal is brilliant, it isn't ludicrous. There's a lot of beautiful elements but each individual part isn't impossible to believe by itself.

Wheras Bergkamp's first touch simply isn't mortal, the through the legs quick thinking while changing direction is even more impossible and the flawlessly executed finish is stupendous.

That's a great summation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,524 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Having looked at them both again several times I’m now voting for Bergkamp.
    Exquisite goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Del Piero is a team effort and he is better looking :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Del Piero.
    Great team goal and at a very crucial time in both the match and tournament.

Advertisement