Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

billie1b wrote: »
    12 - 15 minute drive for me, door to work carpark, if I was to use Public Transport it’s a minimum of 3 buses and a minimum of 1 and a half hours.

Yep, I know this scenario. The greens don’t give a fûck, it’s just all anti car...

I’ll accept the greens being anti car as soon as there is a pro working alternative for me to get where I need to go....

It would be like somebody banning meat in a land where you can’t grow vegetables.... that’s the type of mindset the greens have, abysmal people...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Strumms wrote: »
    In time, you might spend 9 euros in a cab from West Dublin to reach your metro, jump on.... total cost 14 euros vs 35....anywhere ON the metro route you save more.

Seems familiar somehow... "Automobiles, trains and planes..."

Would rather see Uber being allowed to operate and pay €20 just so I wouldn't have to lump the luggage in and out of a car and drag it along to the Metro station and back out again.... no fun if you have multiple bags, buggies and kids to carry...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Seems familiar somehow... "Automobiles, trains and planes..."

Would rather see Uber being allowed to operate and pay €20 just so I wouldn't have to lump the luggage in and out of a car and drag it along to the Metro station and back out again.... no fun if you have multiple bags, buggies and kids to carry...

A metro to the airport with 2/3 kids and suitcases, even with 3 parents and no changes would be challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The Greens who tout this kind of nonsense are invariably well off, live in better areas with plenty of good local transport, don't work shifts or at night or unsocial hours, have the time to make a leisurely journey across the city to the airport when they go off on holidays (and they ease their conscience on using airlines by paying Green taxes or buying trees in the Amazon or some such nonsense,and of course, they go on twitter to apologise,whilst figuring out how to get Eamonn Ryan to concieve more taxes to inflict on the less well paid.......who,me? Rant?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the current system has been “abused” by some for years, with cars illegally stopping to wait for pick-ups or circling the campus roads several times before they collect a person.

Rookies....
    wait at MacDonalds untill they call you to say they are coming threw baggage claim then you drive up to dept's and collect them.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Everyone does realise that the drop off area is for that reason only yes? You we never supposed to be collecting from there.

Yes we all do it but complaining that the daa are bringing in a system to stop us abusing the current system is a little silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It's because the airport police have a pain in their collective holes from telling people to move on, every hour of every day, because people ignore the automated announcements telling them to shift out of there and the ordinary policeman or woman gets abuse from the punters when they tell them to move. Spend time at the drop off point and you will see this. They also have to deal with people who insist on smoking in the wrong place and react angrily when they are told to quit or move to the proper smoking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Citizens of Ireland own the DAA and its assets.

So what. The citizens of Ireland will own the national childrens' hospital too, but you won't get to park for free there either. The citizens of Ireland own all the on-street parking in Dublin but you still get clamped if you don't pay.
    Having lived under the flight path of the Airport it was exasperating to be so close to the airport but if I wished to use public transport to get to the airport I would be looking at a 2 hour journey. The privately operated bus service between the Airport and this heavily populated part of Dublin was not viable(at any price or with any reasonable level of subvention) and ceased to operate.

Utterly irrelevant.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

So what. The citizens of Ireland will own the national childrens' hospital too, but you won't get to park for free there either. The citizens of Ireland own all the on-street parking in Dublin but you still get clamped if you don't pay.

Utterly irrelevant.

Not irrelevant in the slightest.
    If there's no viable public transport available, then charges for drop offs are relevant.
    How can you not see that?

And it doesn't cost to drop people off at a hospital either .

Your post couldn't be worse!

Sorolla wrote: »
    Fair play to Dublin Airport for introducing this charge

Any time I wish to pickup/leave off passengers the set down area is always occupied

It’s occupied by drivers who have abandoned their vehicles and are inside the terminal waiting for their loved ones to arrive

They then proceed to go for a coffee and a chat - all this time their car is parked outside for free

Because of the unsociable and selfish behavior of a few we will now all be penalised
    Other airports have addressed this misbehaviour without additional cost to those who don't abuse the set down spaces. DAA are going for a money grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Stovepipe wrote: »
    It's because the airport police have a pain in their collective holes from telling people to move on, every hour of every day, because people ignore the automated announcements telling them to shift out of there and the ordinary policeman or woman gets abuse from the punters when they tell them to move. Spend time at the drop off point and you will see this. They also have to deal with people who insist on smoking in the wrong place and react angrily when they are told to quit or move to the proper smoking place.

This move to charge at the airport has nothing to do with the green party. Don't know why there's such hysteria about them in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If there's no viable public transport available, then charges for drop offs are relevant.

They're not proposing charges to drop people off, but for collecting people, because some are abusing the system and effectively parking for free.
    Your post couldn't be worse!

:rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

'.....Uber being allowed to operate and pay €20....'
    This myth is still out there that somehow if only Uber was allowed to ride roughshod over the Irish taxi industry,then you'd all have massively cheaper fares.
    Let's take a fare I did yesterday,Ranelagh to T2.
    30 minutes through town €24.
    Uber in London would charge £20 or about €22.
    Or a longer one.T1 to Tallaght at night.My charge €42 Uber for a similar distance £41.50 or about €50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

vandriver wrote: »
    '.....Uber being allowed to operate and pay €20....'
    This myth is still out there that somehow if only Uber was allowed to ride roughshod over the Irish taxi industry,then you'd all have massively cheaper fares.
    Let's take a fare I did yesterday,Ranelagh to T2.
    30 minutes through town €24.
    Uber in London would charge £20 or about €22.
    Or a longer one.T1 to Tallaght at night.My charge €42 Uber for a similar distance £41.50 or about €50
    Ranelagh to T2 €24 ?

Ranelagh to T2 €24 ?

Yup,I did it yesterday morning.
    Through Ranelagh village,onto scr,r into heytesbury,l into long lane,r into Clanbrassil.Over the river .Greek St.R into Nth King St and follow your nose to the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

vandriver wrote: »
    Yup,I did it yesterday morning.
    Through Ranelagh village,onto scr,r into heytesbury,l into long lane,r into Clanbrassil.Over the river .Greek St.R into Nth King St and follow your nose to the port.

That's a great price I normally pay anything between 25/28e from the city centre home and its not as far as Ranelagh to T2.

That's a great price I normally pay anything between 25/28e from the city centre home and its not as far as Ranelagh to T2.
    Just what was on the meter.All fares are lower now because of less traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I agree with you there, getting to the Airport is Taxi only and bus if you're lucky enough to live along the Drumcondra road, or if you have someone who'll get up early or go out late to drop/collect you.. And they shouldn't have to pay within reason..

If you recall about 10 or so years ago there was a bus which ran from Howth to the Airport.. but was discontinued due to lack of use... I mean if you have to catch a flight at say 6.30am, you don't want to be waiting at the side of the road at say 5am for a bus that may never show or be late..

How about Aircoach? https://aircoach.ie/plan-journey/timetables

Planning permission refused for drop off money making wheeze: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0310/1203217-setback-for-paid-drop-off-zone-plans-at-dublin-airport/

DAA can appeal to An Bord Pleanala.

"Ryanair lodged an objection against the plans with its consultants, BMA Planning arguing that the proposals will have a negative impact on customer experience and have an additional financial cost on passengers."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Planning permission refused for drop off money making wheeze: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0310/1203217-setback-for-paid-drop-off-zone-plans-at-dublin-airport/

DAA can appeal to An Bord Pleanala.

"Ryanair lodged an objection against the plans with its consultants, BMA Planning arguing that the proposals will have a negative impact on customer experience and have an additional financial cost on passengers."

Good, it's so stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This is good news.

Paid drop off at airports to encourage public transport is hard to justify when suitable public transport often does not exist.

Connect the airport to the train network first.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cork has the best way of doing it. 15mins free dropoff, if you dally longer than 15 minutes you pay a fiver. Works well.

Dublin just want to copy Stansted here, where you drop a passenger off for free miles from the airport and they take a bus in, or you pay an eye-watering amount of cash to drop them off at the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cork has the best way of doing it. 15mins free dropoff, if you dally longer than 15 minutes you pay a fiver. Works well.

Dublin just want to copy Stansted here, where you drop a passenger off for free miles from the airport and they take a bus in, or you pay an eye-watering amount of cash to drop them off at the terminal.

It's not just a Stansted thing, many UK airports have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Noxegon wrote: »
    This is good news.

Paid drop off at airports to encourage public transport is hard to justify when suitable public transport often does not exist.

Connect the airport to the train network first.

Metro connection would be great, but is there any part of Dublin that doesn't have connectivity to the airport via AirCoach or Bus Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Metro connection would be great, but is there any part of Dublin that doesn't have connectivity to the airport via AirCoach or Bus Eireann?

Blanchardstown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Alaninwondeand

Park in McDonald's, buy a burger for your €3 and tell the people your dropping off to walk. ��.

In fairness the drop off area should be Just that, have a warden outside moving people on if they are parked, simple as that. I often drop off the mother in law and she's old so parking near the door suit's both.

My gripe is why charge €3 euro for 16 mins parking. Its low hanging fruit from the DAA to make some cash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Caranica wrote: »
    Blanchardstown

Private operator failed (after a decent number of years at it I think) there before.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/urbus-sets-up-dublin-service-1.1310131

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

They do have both DAA and Airport Police moving people on - they have to in order to fulfill various security rules and regulations. Its not an issue with cars coming and going and/or congestion its a money making exercise plain and simple. No family is ever going to avail of public transport to take their summer holidays nor the majority of other passengers. Only students and some tourists will take the bus (if there is a reliable route/service).

L1011 wrote: »
    Private operator failed (after a decent number of years at it I think) there before.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/urbus-sets-up-dublin-service-1.1310131
    I took that service from Blanch and it was less than ideal. Fair dues to them for having tried at least but it just wasn't a service which could ever work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Public transport is quite poor to the airport from many areas of the city. From Raheny the quickest way by public transport is to get a DART to the city and the 747 back out again, you're lucky if it takes an hour. A cab is 25min tops.

Advertisement