Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a national public facility, not the DAAs private domain. No point asking Eamon Ryan to oppose it, so the tactic must be to lobby the TDs for the area, talk about the risk to jobs from loss of passing trade, increased traffic issues on the Swords Road and so on, all of which will be totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is a national public facility, not the DAAs private domain. No point asking Eamon Ryan to oppose it, so the tactic must be to lobby the TDs for the area, talk about the risk to jobs from loss of passing trade, increased traffic issues on the Swords Road and so on, all of which will be totally unnecessary.

'passing trade'? Who stops at a local shop on their way to/from the aiirport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Saw this today. Shît like this pisses me off. The airport is although private, is public infrastructure. Get public funding for the terminals and runways and rightly so.
    People pay road tax, to use the roads. The airport and surrounding roads was designed to allow people to safely drop people off. If the allow this people are just going to drop people off in dangerous places

Doesnt surprise me That they are announcing this today , when they have also announced the pubs reopening guidelines and leaving cert results tomorrow
    Hidden under the rest of the news

Also doesn’t surprise me that they announced this 2 months after we get a green minister for transport who hates planes and wants to make air travel more difficult and more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

bpb101 wrote: »
    Doesnt surprise me That they are announcing this today , when they have also announced the pubs reopening guidelines and leaving cert results tomorrow
    Hidden under the rest of the news

Did you read the original article? It is an Irish Times report that the DAA (a commercial semi-state body) has sought planning permission. Planning applications are a matter of public record if you want to go looking. There was no DAA announcement that I can see and if you think there is a big Government conspiracy to bury this amongst other news, where is the evidence?

Is this going to be like Frankfurt where you pull a ticket and if you are out of the set down zone in 10 minutes no charge is payable but if you stay longer you will be charged...or is it just a pure money grab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Larbre34 wrote: »

What nonsense. Also we nearly had 'permanently annoyed motorist' bingo there, Eamon Ryan, loss of passing trade, etc.

If you play by the rules, which are designed to avoid pandemonium outside arrivals, you won't pay. If you abuse, you pay.

donvito99 wrote: »
    What nonsense. Also we nearly had 'permanently annoyed motorist' bingo there, Eamon Ryan, loss of passing trade, etc.

If you play by the rules, which are designed to avoid pandemonium outside arrivals, you won't pay. If you abuse, you pay.
    Can you confirm that? There are some airports like Luton that have their handout for money no matter how you approach the airport.

bpb101 wrote: »
    People pay road tax, to use the roads.

oh here we go now.
    The airport and surrounding roads was designed to allow people to safely drop people off. If the allow this people are just going to drop people off in dangerous places

Rubbish. if that were to happen, the public will only have themselves to blame. you dont pay for the first 15 minutes sitting outside arrivals.
    Also doesn’t surprise me that they announced this 2 months after we get a green minister for transport who hates planes and wants to make air travel more difficult and more expensive

Yea because a nominal fee for sitting in vaulable space outside arrivals will deinitely kill off air travel for good.

why is it that having to pay for parking that is in demand drives people to lunacy?

Can you confirm that? There are some airports like Luton that have their handout for money no matter how you approach the airport.

I can see people being quite happy to pay for any access at all. if you don't want to pay you don't have to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

If it's free for 15 minutes like at Cork and this is a condition of the planning permission (if that's possible) then I'm okay with this. Without that I'd expect the DAA to bleed people of money. We need clarity on their plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Beersmith wrote: »
    I used to use the short term car park a lot to pick up people and I would be in and out in 15min and would pay 1.50e (i think) happily for the under 30min price . Then roughly 3 years ago they made the minimum fee 3e/1hr which ever since I've not paid a cent to the f*ckers. That was a pure ploy to get more money rather than free up the car park

Plus it’s the tightest f*ing car park I have ever seen, the ramps between floors are appalling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

The old saw is true ; DAA is a car park that happens to run an airport as a sideline.

this is not actually that big an issue, the times it gets crowded (post/pre COVID) is when its mostly departures, and vice versa so they don't crowd each other....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Now I am getting worried, in that the RTE post on this shambles is implying that there will also be a charge for dropping off passengers. DAA get more than enough of a rake in from passengers as it is without them looking for even more. While there is a minimal case for charging inbound passengers, as they don't get a fee for that, they get more than enough from outbound passengers already, without looking to screw even more out of them.

The cynic in me says that this is more about changing the usage of the centre airport car parks to facilitate the new office space that they've built in completely the wrong place.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Apparently there will be a free option- over at the Red Car Park where shuttles will run. Going to be jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

New Runway.

No Traffic.

Someone has to pay!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

New Runway.

No Traffic.

Someone has to pay!

Well, if there's no traffic and no passengers, then there'll be nobody to pay the charges now will there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

Pre COVID I worked in an office; the odd time I would visit a customer in the airport - one of the airlines or one of the other tenants out there. It's not a nice place to bring a car if you haven't got a spot to park in, its more draconian than Dublin City centre ( witness the long running thread on here about clampers in McDonalds) .

I can't see them putting in a mobile phone lot as it will be abused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

does anyone actually read articles before jumping on a bandwagon.

1 - many motorists abuse the current system and leave cars there for 30 minutes. In any other country, they'd be towed away after 5.

2 - Other motorists drive around and around and around adding to congestion.

3 - They have not decided charges, but they operate similar system in Cork and first 15 min are FREE, then it goes up aggressively.

4 - they are introducing a new low rate 30 min stay in the short-term car park

Where's the issue with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No evidence yet to show that the first 15 minutes will be free in Dublin Airport.

Nearly every other airport in the free world has free pickups, with fcukers who abuse it moved on or towed in 10 minutes.

Why do the Irish have to be "special" all the time?

silver2020 wrote: »

1 - many motorists abuse the current system and leave cars there for 30 minutes. In any other country, they'd be towed away after 5.

2 - Other motorists drive around and around and around adding to congestion.

3 - They have not decided charges, but they operate similar system in Cork and first 15 min are FREE, then it goes up aggressively.

4 - they are introducing a new low rate 30 min stay in the short-term car park

Where's the issue with this?
    Please point out where that is guaranteed. We have read the article and are left scratching our heads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

silver2020 wrote: »

Why not have 1 person monitoring this - the actual issue.

How costly is planning, building maintaining etc. Once it was policed properly people would know they cant do this.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No evidence yet to show that the first 15 minutes will be free in Dublin Airport.

Nearly every other airport in the free world has free pickups, with fcukers who abuse it moved on or towed in 10 minutes.

Why do the Irish have to be "special" all the time?

It's already been pointed out in this very thread that this system is used in various airports around the world. The Irish are not in anyway being special on this one.

It's already been pointed out in this very thread that this system is used in various airports around the world. The Irish are not in anyway being special on this one.
    Please quote that back to me from the articles. Just because they have the facility to give 10 or 15 minutes free access doesn't mean that they will.

Please quote that back to me from the articles. Just because they have the facility to give 10 or 15 minutes free access doesn't mean that they will.

Please quote back to me where I said that the system was going to be used in Dublin. I said that the system is used elsewhere, nothing else.

And I wasn't even replying to you.

https://extra.ie/2020/09/07/news/irish-news/dublin-airport-toll-to-charge-cars-for-dropping-off-passengers

Based on that it seems like they definitely plan to implement charges at the entrance to the airport terminals so not a Frankfurt type solution where you can drop off people but not dally too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Luton have a barrier, just off a roundabout. Last time I was there, I think you had to put a pound coin in a slot to get into a drop off area. There were signs everywhere, any car stopping on the roundabout or on the approach roads would get a fine in the post. They even had a camera van on the centre of the roundabout in case you didn’t see the signs.
    No doubt money-grabbing DAA will do similar, but you can bet it’ll cost more than a euro to get in!

Minister for Transport is Eamonn Ryan. They're selling it as having environmental benefits when it has none. That'll be music to his ears.
    DAA Twitter and Facebook are not updated to inform of this change. They don't want to let anyone know until it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is the greens involved somehow

• Advertisement

"cars circling" is the phrase that gets them on board.

Advertisement