Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) Movies **Use Spoiler Tags**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,425 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched Blade again no way on earth Disney will ever top Snipes as Blade it still holds up as one of the best comic book adaptions ever.

They may make a nice PG/15 MCU Blade however it won't come anywhere the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I watched Blade again no way on earth Disney will ever top Snipes as Blade it still holds up as one of the best comic book adaptions ever.

They may make a nice PG/15 MCU Blade however it won't come anywhere the original.

Anybody remember the TV series released 2 years after Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With Sticky Fingaz. Yeah I liked it. Having Jill Wagner didn't hurt either.

Didn't realise Icicle from Stargirl was in it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

At the very least I'd ask that they portray vampires in a similarly realistic manner i.e. a vampire could be anyone.

Unfortunately what I'm expecting is some cartoonish mindless cgi fest.

• Advertisement

Spider-Woman?

Olivia Wilde Tapped To Direct Untitled Female-Centered Marvel Movie At Sony
    EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is not only growing its slate of its Universe of Marvel Characters but is building on the female characters at the center of it, and looks to have landed one of the sought female directors in Hollywood. Sources tell Deadline that Olivia Wilde has closed a deal to direct and develop a secret Marvel film project revolving around a female character in the universe. While not confirmed, it is expected that the story will be centered on Spider-Woman.

The film will be penned by Katie Silberman with Amy Pascal producing. Rachel O’Connor will exec produce.

Wilde, Silberman and Pascal already have strong ties and the three are working on a Christmas buddy film at Universal they hope to do prior to this one. Gary Spinelli penned a previous draft of the script.

The Spider-Woman character has actually been the alter ego of several characters in the Spider-Man timeline over the years including Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson and Jessica Drew, who was the first to sport the costume in the late 1970s. Since the concept is being completely revamped by Wilde, it’s unknown the direction the studio will go with her.

The project has been a high priority since the top of the year and Wilde came close to passing on it as her dance card has begun to fill up quite quickly. At the end of the day, the idea of having a chance to launch her own female superhero was too hard to pass up, and she eventually came around to fully committing to the project.

This marks the second film based around a female character in Sony’s universe of Marvel characters to land a director after S.J. Clarkson was tapped to direct a Madame Webb movie. Sony is also developing Black Cat and Silver Sable movies and is clearly making the effort to diversify the universe.

Around the industry, more and more female filmmakers are getting their shot at directing big-budget comic book movies. Nia DaCosta most recently landed the Captain Marvel 2 job at Marvel and along with Wilde and Clarkson will follow in the footsteps of Patty Jenkins, Cathy Yan and Chloe Zhao, the latter who has the upcoming The Eternals.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/olivia-wilde-spider-woman-director-secret-marvel-movie-sony-1203017798/

Antony Starr wants to play Wolverine in the MCU.

I'd be ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Antony Starr wants to play Wolverine in the MCU.

I'd be ok with that.

Ooooooo he would be good! I doubt they'll be recasting Wolverine any time soon though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Ooooooo he would be good! I doubt they'll be recasting Wolverine any time soon though.

I dunno, I guess in a way, it depends on what Jackman wants. Surely if he wants back for another shot, in the MCU, that's money.

Personally, while Logan is the perfect send off, I would perhaps enjoy some kind of cameo where maybe in the past he runs into Cap or something with the purpose of Marvel/Disney recognising without him, even RDJ might not have had the chance to do his thing.

Not too sure how many people here were around when X-Men hit but, much like Dark Knight, Batman 89, Avengers, Superman and Iron Man, it revolutionised superhero film, mainly by being competent :D

Otherwise, Wolvie is just too much money for Marvel to lie fallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,303 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dunno, I guess in a way, it depends on what Jackman wants. Surely if he wants back for another shot, in the MCU, that's money.

Personally, while Logan is the perfect send off, I would perhaps enjoy some kind of cameo where maybe in the past he runs into Cap or something with the purpose of Marvel/Disney recognising without him, even RDJ might not have had the chance to do his thing.

Not too sure how many people here were around when X-Men hit but, much like Dark Knight, Batman 89, Avengers, Superman and Iron Man, it revolutionised superhero film, mainly by being competent :D

Unless its Jackman again they probably do need to let Wolverine lie a while.

For non-comic fans of the X-Men Jackmans Wolverine is basically RDJ's IronMan.

A lot would find it very jarring to switch him. Like Reynolds/Deadpool I think actor and character have basically merged at this point so recasting would be a pain.

• Advertisement

Yeh I was kind of referring to the fact that Jackman is so iconic in the role they'll have to give the character a rest. Also I don't think there's any point rushing the mutant introduction just for the sake of it.

Personally I really hope Jackman doesn't reprise the role in the MCU because that portrayal brings with it the baggage of the totally botched continuity and timeline of the Fox X-Men universe but that's just my own nitpicky reason.

That said I would like to see Deadpool continue in some format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Would love to see a comic version of wolverine mask and all even if only a once off! Unfortunately the bar has been set with Jack an.. Anyone else would need to completely reinvent the character as their own to avoid being a jackman rip-off

Logan was 3 years ago so unless he has a cameo in an upcoming film the earliest we would see a new Wolverine would probably be 2022 or 2023. So that's 5 or 6 years.
    The Dark Knight Rises was 2012 and Batman vs Superman was 2016. Amazing Spider-man 2 was 3 years before Homecoming and 2 before he was introduced in Civil War. I know in those cases the character was bigger than the actor and the actor wasn't as closely linked with the character.

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Would love to see a comic version of wolverine mask and all even if only a once off! Unfortunately the bar has been set with Jack an.. Anyone else would need to completely reinvent the character as their own to avoid being a jackman rip-off

Did make an appearance in live action. Just not worn
    Wolverine-Movie-Alternate-Ending-Costume-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

CastorTroy wrote: »

Well aware of that but not the same when it's only a dvd menu bonus scene lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

CastorTroy wrote: »

That was some serious blue balling right there. Jackman gave the lightest of dangled carrots that he might wear the costume in a sequel only to take it in a completely different, and arguably not even canon, direction. The only time I've ever thought "poor form" on his part and that's including Origins.

That was some serious blue balling right there. Jackman gave the lightest of dangled carrots that he might wear the costume in a sequel only to take it in a completely different, and arguably not even canon, direction. The only time I've ever thought "poor form" on his part and that's including Origins.

Ah now I won't have any bad words said about Logan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

We've seen Marvel take their time with introducing characters rather than going for the quick payday (like DC) and I expect the same for X-men. They won't go with all the team members coming together in one group, they'll be dotted in through other MCU movies. That will give them plenty more time for Wolverine to sit out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Logan was as much thematic closure as it was a character one: this was the 2000s X-Men series burned to the ground in a big nihilistic fire. I'm still not sure I even liked it on an emotional level, if I appreciated the idea of taking cherished characters and grinding them into the dust - but the main thing is it felt like Hugh Jackman saying to the audience "that's it, I'm done".

I'm sure Disney could afford any size of pay-cheque to get him back for a cameo, but it would just feel wrong. At the risk of using hyperbole, Logan allowed fans to grieve the loss and passing of a character - Disney should let that particular version remain dead.

Hire Dougray Scott instead; he can finally have that chance he once famously passed on, necessitating the last minute casting of Jackman :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think Logan was as much thematic closure as it was a character one: this was the 2000s X-Men series burned to the ground in a big nihilistic fire. I'm still not sure I even liked it on an emotional level, if I appreciated the idea of taking cherished characters and grinding them into the dust - but the main thing is it felt like Hugh Jackman saying to the audience "that's it, I'm done".

I'm sure Disney could afford any size of pay-cheque to get him back for a cameo, but it would just feel wrong. At the risk of using hyperbole, Logan allowed fans to grieve the loss and passing of a character - Disney should let that particular version remain dead.

Hire Dougray Scott instead; he can finally have that chance he once famously passed on, necessitating the last minute casting of Jackman :D

Whatever about Jackman surely Patrick Stewart will cameo a la Stan Lee used to. Bonus points if McKellen is included :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the Fox movies should be left where they are , Fresh cast all around please

Do you reckon mutants will have their own reality in the multiverse? Seems like a prime reason to start introducing that stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do you reckon mutants will have their own reality in the multiverse? Seems like a prime reason to start introducing that stuff.

I hope so: I've often considered it one of the few benefits of the previous fragmentation of the Marvel IPs. The comics universe is too cluttered & busy; and even in a narrative sense found the mutantphobia hard to marry against the Avengers and other non X-Men characters. The X-Men universe existing within its own sphere gives those stories space to grow and evolve on their own terms - and not relative to what else is happening within this world.

Egjby7mXsAAXX-f?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Insane. Just a complete shocker. RIP.

Terrible, terrible news.

Some decision to keep going like he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hope so: I've often considered it one of the few benefits of the previous fragmentation of the Marvel IPs. The comics universe is too cluttered & busy; and even in a narrative sense found the mutantphobia hard to marry against the Avengers and other non X-Men characters. The X-Men universe existing within its own sphere gives those stories space to grow and evolve on their own terms - and not relative to what else is happening within this world.

I don't see mutanphobia being an issue either from how the world appears to be. We've already seen the population and military turn against the Avengers and outside of specific incidents they barely impacted on regular people. If mutants are mingling with regular people you could definitely get that hatred, especially with a few kids being killed. I suspect Marvel won't rush X-men to be a world saving group that rivals the Avengers. Like Spidey, they'll deal with the school level dynamics and threats that are directed at them. It'll keep them for the most part off the radar of the Avengers etc and it is a narrative that despite all the movies has only been touched on, with more focus on the older characters.

The energy released from multiple clicks happening on earth is a great way to accelerate the explosion of mutation process, like the nuclear arms race did previously. I think there is potentially some great crossover potential between the characters as part of introductions, like Storm in Black Panther and Rouge in Captain America.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,569 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jonathan Majors joins as Kang The Conqueror in Ant Man 3

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jonathan Majors joins as Kang The Conqueror in Ant Man 3

Where there is Kang, often you will find Doom...

• Advertisement

Where there is Kang, often you will find Doom...

I can't remember if it was just someone speculating or even a rumour but I definitely remember someone saying that Ant-Man 3 could be used as a backdoor introduction for FF especially seeing as Peyton Reed either wrote a script or just pitched an idea for an FF movie set in the 60s way before the MCU was a thing.

Advertisement