Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Would love it the organisers would just come out and say it! Getting very hard to motivate when uncertain but then feel guilty when I don't go out for a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Run Galway Bay 2020 Update
    We are monitoring the Covid-19 restrictions carefully and will adhere to all government guidelines that will be in place on 3rd October. We have drawn up social distancing plans for our start and finish areas in anticipation of the event going ahead. This is dependent on the numbers of people being allowed to gather outdoors being increased by 3rd October. In this instance, we are hopeful that following further consultation with Galway City Council and An Garda Síochána, Run Galway Bay will go ahead. However if the number of people allowed to gather outdoors is not increased we will postpone the event to a new date in Spring 2021 and all entries will automatically be transferred to the new date. This decision cannot be made until the next government announcement.

We are receiving a large number of emails and messages and unfortunately as we do not have any more information at this time we cannot answer specific questions. We will update you again after the next government announcement which we expect will be Mid September.

We apologise that we cannot be more specific at this time. We appreciate that this is a stressful time for everyone and hope you keep safe and well and KEEP UP THE TRAINING!

Ray O'Connor
    RACE DIRECTOR

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Crazy, it will be taper time and we will know then if it might go ahead. I know its up to ourselves if we want to continue to train but I want to race. So for me I have to continue to train in case it does go ahead. All the hard work will have been done and there may not even be a race

jnk883 wrote: »
    Crazy, it will be taper time and we will know then if it might go ahead. I know its up to ourselves if we want to continue to train but I want to race. So for me I have to continue to train in case it does go ahead. All the hard work will have been done and there may not even be a race

I'm continuing anyway and have Galway accommodation booked so will make a weekend of it and get a long run on the Saturday if it's not going ahead. I'll have no excuses but to reduce my target time for Spring! (hoping it doesn't have to come to that)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Just run the distance anyway as a time trail

• Advertisement

How's everyones training going?

Just over 3 weeks to go!

rizzee wrote: »
    How's everyones training going?

Just over 3 weeks to go!

Finding it hard to keep motivated as its hard to see it going ahead. I need to do 20 this weekend, have done a few 16s and one 18 but just can't bring myself to get to the 20 :( Even if it goes ahead at this stage I'd find it hard to race it but could go out and "enjoy" it

Keep the faith!!!

I'm more hopeful that ever with the announcement of pubs reopening. Surely they can put something into place, staggered starts, SOMETHING!! :D

Finding it hard to keep motivated as its hard to see it going ahead. I need to do 20 this weekend, have done a few 16s and one 18 but just can't bring myself to get to the 20 :( Even if it goes ahead at this stage I'd find it hard to race it but could go out and "enjoy" it

Same as this. I came of the wagon and just couldn’t find any motivation to do anymore long runs. I don’t expect to do it now regardless if it gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'm still training and will be ready to go if there is an outside chance it goes ahead. I get the whole motivation aspect and am struggling at times. At the very least this block should stand to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Decided a few weeks back not to do this... training wasn't going very well, every run was taking too much out of me. On two occasions I got new Max HR readings on runs that were threshold pace (obviously well beyond threshold effort :rolleyes:). Things just weren't adding up, nothing felt right. Training is improved since I pulled out (mentally pulled out as I'm still officially entered). Maybe I just wasn't in good enough shape for the load or maybe my heart was never in Plan B. If it goes ahead I could potentially still run it and maybe still PB but not the PB I was chasing this year...

For me it wasn't just the uncertainty around the race that effected the motivation, it was also the lack of buzz around the training. Usually this time of year everyone is in the thick of marathon training and strava is buzzing with long runs, long tempos, MP runs. But this year there's no groups to do long runs with and no chit chat (with anyone who will listen :pac:) about targets/fuelling/negative splits/accommodation/post race bevies... Flat is the word that springs to my mind with respect to it :cool:

BUT I sincerely hope it goes ahead for the couple of runners I follow who have trained exceptionally well for it (and for others I don't follow who I'm sure also have trained well for it). I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for it :)

If it goes ahead does anyone know if its possible to drop down to the half instead?

ariana` wrote: »
    Decided a few weeks back not to do this... training wasn't going very well, every run was taking too much out of me. On two occasions I got new Max HR readings on runs that were threshold pace (obviously well beyond threshold effort :rolleyes:). Things just weren't adding up, nothing felt right. Training is improved since I pulled out (mentally pulled out as I'm still officially entered). Maybe I just wasn't in good enough shape for the load or maybe my heart was never in Plan B. If it goes ahead I could potentially still run it and maybe still PB but not the PB I was chasing his year...

For me it wasn't just the uncertainty around the race that effected the motivation, it was also the lack of buzz around the training. Usually this time of year everyone is in the thick of marathon training and strava is buzzing with long runs, long tempos, MP runs. But this year there's no groups to do long runs with and no chit chat (with anyone who will listen :pac:) about targets/fuelling/negative splits/accommodation/post race bevies... Flat is the word that springs to my mind with respect to it :cool:

BUT I sincerely hope it goes ahead for the couple of runners I follow who have trained exceptionally well for it (and for others I don't follow who I'm sure also have trained well for it). I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for it :)

Where are you based ?
    And what time frame were you looking at ?

The good thing about it is that I will be well trained for a virtual Dublin if Galway doesn't go ahead. I will do Galway if it goes ahead, I'm looking forward to a weekend in Galway. If it doesn't go ahead I will continue with my training towards Dublin and do a long run instead.

The good thing about it is that I will be well trained for a virtual Dublin if Galway doesn't go ahead. I will do Galway if it goes ahead, I'm looking forward to a weekend in Galway. If it doesn't go ahead I will continue with my training towards Dublin and do a long run instead.

Good thinking.
    I'm just psyching myself up looking at previous race reports/Strava etc!

What broke my motivation apart from the possible cancellation was I holidayed in Galway in August and ran the route twice and both days the wind would nearly have blown you into the sea! I was scared to imagine what the wind would be like in October.

freddie_ wrote: »
    What broke my motivation apart from the possible cancellation was I holidayed in Galway in August and ran the route twice and both days the wind would nearly have blown you into the sea! I was scared to imagine what the wind would be like in October.

Lol.you might PB if the wind is at your back.i wouldn't let a bit of wind put me off running a marathon

freddie_ wrote: »

It is quite exposed, conditions were very poor last year. However I did the HM there a few years back and wind certainly wasn't an issue that day. It was my first HM so I had no frame of reference but I had a goal and I achieved it with a fairly perfectly executed run made possible by the lovely flat route and great running conditions.

According to their Facebook page today, all roads still lead to Galway.

Yes all looks good ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hope it goes ahead for you mate....but the lack of details, other than replying 'Yes' to a FB comment, this close to the off would be worrying.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Hope it goes ahead for you mate....but the lack of details, other than replying 'Yes' to a FB comment, this close to the off would be worrying.

Thanks. ah yeh, not convincing as of yet. Its giving me a glimmer of hope anyway. They really seem to be trying their best to get it on via social distancing start, working out with local council etc. Kudos to them, whatever happens.

Fingers and toes crossed!!!

I guess I better start training :-)

I'd be more convinced if they had closed entries and that way the chance of limiting numbers if possible. I feel its a case of getting as many entries in and if they can't go ahead they have money in the bank and ready to move the race to next year.

Hoping I'm wrong of course but I won't beleive it until I'm crossing the start line. Managed to get 20 in this weekend but way off last years pace for training runs. 5 mile road race next weekend and sprint triathlon the week after. Could be from no races to 3 in 3 weeks.

The reference in that post to finishing to a "crowd of supporters" left me with a bad taste in my mouth :(

ariana` wrote: »
    The reference in that post to finishing to a "crowd of supporters" left me with a bad taste in my mouth :(

Do you have a copy/screenshot of the recent message?
    I'm not on FB but from a quick look on their page as an unregistered user, I can only see a post from July 7th.

Do you have a copy/screenshot of the recent message?
    I'm not on FB but from a quick look on their page as an unregistered user, I can only see a post from July 7th.

Doesn't reference marathon here but does in comments. All a bit odd really. Hadn't even noticed the supporters line.

About the run
    The Galway Bay Half Marathon & 10K race includes a half marathon (13.1 miles) and also a 10k run/walk in aid of Cancer Care West along a fast, flat, fun and scenic route. The race route is looped and takes in the beautiful coastline of Galway Bay from The Claddagh to Salthill, Blackrock and back to an crowd of supporters at the finish line beside the event tent in The Claddagh.>>>>
    https://www.facebook.com/GalwayBayRunMarathon/

Doesn't reference marathon here but does in comments. All a bit odd really. Hadn't even noticed the supporters line.

About the run
    The Galway Bay Half Marathon & 10K race includes a half marathon (13.1 miles) and also a 10k run/walk in aid of Cancer Care West along a fast, flat, fun and scenic route. The race route is looped and takes in the beautiful coastline of Galway Bay from The Claddagh to Salthill, Blackrock and back to an crowd of supporters at the finish line beside the event tent in The Claddagh.>>>>
    https://www.facebook.com/GalwayBayRunMarathon/

Thanks!

Hmm, maybe the supporter's comment could have been a copy and paste job from a previous year!

Thanks!

Hmm, maybe the supporter's comment could have been a copy and paste job from a previous year!

Quite likely that's the case but it doesn't make me feel reassured... that's all :cool:

• Advertisement

There seems to be two Run Galway Bay pages on FB, I just read one of the comments there on the link above, saying the page that confirmed it is fake?

''. This is a fake page. Keep an eye on Run Galway Bay for real updates in the next day or so.''

Here's the one I was looking at (no updates yet) : https://www.facebook.com/rungalwaybay/ (RunGalwayBay)

The one above is: https://www.facebook.com/GalwayBayRunMarathon/ (@GalwayBayRunMarathon)

My head hurts!

Advertisement