Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone mention Larry Gogan?
    Has to be a contender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Has to be a contender

Anyone who did really badly on his Just a Minute Quiz might disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Georgia Salpa

Roy Keane has probably already been mentioned.

Mr. Tayto? (The Irish one, not the nordie one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Keyman123

Richard Harris
    Joe Dolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Has to be a contender
    Anyone who did really badly on his Just a Minute Quiz might disagree.

Maybe he just didn't suit some people :)

Seriously though he was a national treasure and should head the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Paul McGrath
    Katie Taylor
    Mary Kennedy
    Francis Brennan
    Anyone who scores a goal or try against england!

Some deceased
    Larry Gogan
    Bill O'heirlihy
    Seamus Heaney

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Way I look at is people who few have a bad word to say about. People who try and do the decent thing (some might have failed at times) - but are genuine and are down to earth - despite thier fame.
    And if they did say a bad word about them it just means they being nasty for the sake of it.

Sports people:

Padraig Harrington
    Naill Quinn
    Packie Bonner
    Axl Foley
    Shane Lowry
    Ken Doherty
    John Giles
    Barry McGuigan
    Dennis Taylor
    Sonia O'Sullivan
    Paul McGrath
    O'Donovan brothers (rowing)
    Katie Taylor
    Ted Walsh
    Willie Mullins

Politicians:

John Hume
    Patrick Hillary
    Douglas Hyde
    Mary McAleese
    Mary Robinson
    Michael D. Higgins

Singers:

Delores O'Riordan
    Christy Moore
    Imelda May
    Barney McKenna
    Luke Kelly
    Rory Gallagher
    Phil Lynott

Actors:

Brendan Gleeson
    Richard Harris
    Dermot Morgan
    Fionnuala Flanagan
    Colm Meaney
    Mick Lally

Business:

Tony O'Reilly
    Michael Smurfit
    JP McManus

Broadcasting:

Bill O'Herlihy
    Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh
    Michael Lyster
    Larry Gogan
    Teresa Mannion
    Gerald Fleming (weatherman)

Not so sure with your politicians or business people, but one in both camps I would have said was Feargal Quinn

The politicians all have very flaws and broke promises etc. Robinson quitting early and the Big Bird lack of humour, Micheal D running again when he promised he wouldn't

Singers and Performers, Daniel O'Donnell and John Sheehan would have to be there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

elperello wrote: »
    Seriously though he was a national treasure and should head the poll.

This thread need a poll :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This thread need a poll :)

But only if we can tie down what the OP means by universally. Universally in Ireland, or universally on the world stage? Then we would know who to put in the poll.

• Advertisement

But only if we can tie down what the OP means by universally. Universally in Ireland, or universally on the world stage? Then we would know who to put in the poll.

Well we are in Ireland on an Irish website and most posters are Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ah, ok then so it's a local poll for local people and not universal, fair enough.

Pat the Baker gets my vote so.

petronius wrote: »
    Not so sure with your politicians or business people, but one in both camps I would have said was Feargal Quinn

The politicians all have very flaws and broke promises etc. Robinson quitting early and the Big Bird lack of humour, Micheal D running again when he promised he wouldn't

Singers and Performers, Daniel O'Donnell and John Sheehan would have to be there

Feargal Quinn for sure.

Daniel O'Donnell and John Sheahan both have long careers in show biz without blotting their copybooks in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

Rory Gallagher. Not perfect, but never lost the run of himself, and about the only one no-one has made a negative comment about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mojo Hand wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher. Not perfect, but never lost the run of himself, and about the only one no-one has made a negative comment about here.

There are plenty with no negative comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Feargal Quinn for sure.
    The lad who set up a separate company to grab 'hello money' from suppliers despite legislation banning it? And then wanted Dept Social Protection to be searching online commentary for 'holiday' and 'new car' to make sure that welfare recipients weren't getting above their station?

The lad who set up a separate company to grab 'hello money' from suppliers despite legislation banning it? And then wanted Dept Social Protection to be searching online commentary for 'holiday' and 'new car' to make sure that welfare recipients weren't getting above their station?

How did he get away with breaking the law?

What had he to do with DSP?

I'm finding out about a lot of well thought of people with feet of clay in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mojo Hand wrote: »
    And he’s international

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

There are plenty with no negative comments.

Very few to be honest.

Only two three I remember are two Dunlop brothers and Rory Gallagher.

Doubt very few under 30 (apart from blues fans and motorbike fans) would have heard of them. (I think they are kings).

Everyone else including Dermot Morgan and Paul McGrath have had numerous negative posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Bono is not a tax exile, he lives in Dublin.

He probably is a good example of a universally loved Irish person.
    Bono is a hypocritical as-hole.

A friend of Jeffrey Epstein.

• Advertisement

Denis Irwin

i'm not a football fan at all but he strikes me as someone who excelled at the highest level and just got the job down and didn't make a fuss!

Kevin Sheilds
    Musician Brian Eno said that "Soon" "set a new standard for pop. It's the vaguest music ever to have been a hit."[98] Robert Smith of the Cure discovered Loveless after a period of almost exclusively listening to disco and/or Irish bands such as The Dubliners as a means of avoiding his contemporaries, and said, "[My Bloody Valentine] was the first band I heard who quite clearly pissed all over us, and their album Loveless is certainly one of my all-time three favourite records. It's the sound of someone [Shields] who is so driven that they're demented. And the fact that they spent so much time and money on it is so excellent."[99] Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins told Spin: "It's rare in guitar-based music that somebody does something new [...] At the time, everybody was like, 'How the **** are they doing this?' And, of course, it's way simpler than anybody would imagine."[34][nb 1] Greg Puciato of The Dillinger Escape Plan named Loveless one of the albums that changed his life, recalling: "When I was younger, I only listened to riffs and vocals and a more traditional style of composition. So when I heard this My Bloody Valentine record it was so abstract and strange in artistic terms that it ended up taking me on other musical paths."[102]

In 2014 for the documentary Beautiful Noise, McGee said about the album, "people were talking about it as if it was Beethoven's 7th or 8th symphony. No. It's some cnt that can't finish a record that took three years ... Loveless is ****ing overrated as f*ck."

blinding wrote: »
    Bono is a hypocritical as-hole.

A friend of Jeffrey Epstein.

Your opinion of the man is your own and you are entitled to it.

Your contention that he was a friend of JE is simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Kevin Sheilds

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything that Alan McGee has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,241 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

petronius wrote: »

Not Daniel he is not a registered gas installer - :D

--

'Big Bird lack humour' made me laugh. Robinson is bit intellectual and dry alright. Well meaning though

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Denis Irwin

i'm not a football fan at all but he strikes me as someone who excelled at the highest level and just got the job down and didn't make a fuss!

What you dont hear about it is all the behind the scenes stuff he does.... without needing media attention. Getting Jerseys signed for fundraising and such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What you dont hear about it is all the behind the scenes stuff he does.... without needing media attention. Getting Jerseys signed for fundraising and such.

No complaints when he was knocking in free kicks from 30 yards ? Or all those penos.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

joeguevara wrote: »
    Very few to be honest.

Only two three I remember are two Dunlop brothers and Rory Gallagher.

Doubt very few under 30 (apart from blues fans and motorbike fans) would have heard of them. (I think they are kings).

Everyone else including Dermot Morgan and Paul McGrath have had numerous negative posts.

Just from the names on Page 1 find me a negative comment about Niall Quinn, Denis Irwin, Larry Gogan, Shane Lowry, Brendan Grace or John Creedon.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I think Twink definitely thinks she is some kind of national treasure.

• Advertisement

I think Twink definitely thinks she is some kind of national treasure.

If only for her voice mail message.

Advertisement