Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There are many comparisons that could be used for sure that would alll demonstrate the sheer magnitude of the death toll that has already been suffered by the American people, much of which (and clearly not all) can be laid at Trump's door.

With a Covid death toll SO FAR since March of approx. 200,000, examples of these include the following in terms of deaths of US Military combat personnel in wars:

Almost 70% of US combat deaths during World War II
    Over twice the Confederate army deaths in the Civil War and 1.5 times the Union deaths. Almost 100% of the complete total of deaths in both armies.
    Almost 4 times the US combat deaths in WWI
    6 times the US deaths in Korea
    Over twice the Vietnam War toll of US young (mostly) men
    …..

Do any of these comparisons fail some test of what is an acceptable number to use? A 9/11 comparison is entirely appropriate in my view, as I made it on the occasion of the 19th Anniversary of that horror.

On the question of whether Biden/Harris should make any such comparison, I also believe that it is entirely appropriate to set the self-confessed manipulation of the extent and lethality of the Covid pandemic by this President in context of the numbers dead and dying, the extent of which is appalling.

Yesterday:

Covid deaths in the US: 1,000 +
    Covid deaths next door in Canada: ZERO

Any Presidential candidate (incumbent or challenger) who fails to probe this and explain to the electorate the gravity of the entire picture is not worthy of the job.

Governors run their own states as per the constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Joe should campaign on "a 9/11 every week"

Distasteful is an under statement

So you think he'd have a chance at swinging some of the trump base then or does it not reach that level?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Governors run their own states as per the constitution

Completely disingenuous as always

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But the Dems can't go full on down the "Trump mishandled COVId" route because it's far to easy for Trump to point to examples of state government making mistakes when it comes to COVID.

Just like they could no use the "Trump is a sex pest" line in 2016 because the philanderer in chief was campaning for his wife, the same wife that ignored the philandering because it was politically expedient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This about to happen

Quote from guardian article.
    Fox News will broadcast an interview on Saturday night in which Donald Trump accuses Joe Biden of taking performance-enhancing drugs.

“I think there’s probably – possibly – drugs involved,” Trump told Jeanine Pirro, in a released excerpt. “That’s what I hear. I mean, there’s possibly drugs. I don’t know how you can go from being so bad where you can’t even get out a sentence…”

Trump did not finish his own sentence, but he went on to say he was referring to the Democratic presidential nominee’s hesitant performances in early primary debates, before his surge to victory on the back of a win in South Carolina.

• Advertisement

I've already heard him say that, and ask for both himself and Biden to be tested for PEDs :D

I laughed then, I laughed now, I laugh easily tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 25,424 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This about to happen

Biden should immediately challenge Trump to drugs tests, Would love to see him try squirm his way out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 5GMadeMeDoIt

Surely being the leader of the free world should not only be a job where you are allowed to do PEDs, but required to. It's not a sport. If it makes him better at his job then Biden should be doing lines straight off the resolute desk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

enno99 wrote: »
    Grifter or not the point Im making is she wasnt a trump suppoter

Candace Amber Owens Farmer is an American conservative author, commentator, and political activist. Initially critical of President Donald Trump and the Republican Party,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Owens

And the others were also not Trump supporters but are just a sample of influencers on social media with large followings
    there are many more I could link to

The Rubin Report
    1.35M subscribers Gay registered democrat

LGBT and Black usually vote democrat or independant

In National Election Pool's exit poll of over 24,500 Election Day voters, 5% identified as LGBT

https://www.cloudresearch.com/resources/blog/election-2020-poll-respondent-honesty/

I don’t care who he has sex with or what he’s registered as, Dave Rubin is an arch grifter. He’s the absolute pits, he plays the “I’m a real liberal” angle for money. He’s an absolute disgrace.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Politicising both the 9/11 and covid deaths.

Classy

Ha! The GOP have spent 19 years politicising 11/9. Starting shortly after 11/9/2001 when Bush used it to bomb the bejesus our or Iraq

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

enno99 wrote: »
    Grifter or not the point Im making is she wasnt a trump suppoter

Candace Amber Owens Farmer is an American conservative author, commentator, and political activist. Initially critical of President Donald Trump and the Republican Party,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Owens

Donald Trump's base is extremely white. That in itself is not an issue. However when Trump says anything that can be construed as racist it can make some of his more moderate leaning supporters a little bit uneasy.

A fairly blunt way of deflecting away claims of racism is to have black voices come out and say that Trump is not racist. A whole night of the recent Republican National Convention was devoted to politicians of colour (e.g. Tim Scott, Nikki Haley and the attorney-general of Kentucky) doing exactly just that.

The target for those speeches were were not other people of colour. They were those very moderate republicans who were thinking of straying.

Candace Owens occupies a different niche in the Trump world. To put it bluntly she panders to a conservative audience especially in matters to do with race, which, coincidentally, reinforce their own pre-conceived notions. Here's a good example taken from that page that you linked:
    Owens is known for her criticism of the Black Lives Matter movement and has described Black Lives Matter protesters as "a bunch of whiny toddlers, pretending to be oppressed for attention". Owens has argued that African Americans have a "victim mentality," often referring to the Democratic Party as a "plantation". She has argued that the American left "like black people to be government-dependent"and that black people have been brainwashed to vote for Democrats. She has argued that police violence against black people is not about racism, and referred to police killings of black people as a trivial matter to African Americans

Have a scroll through her followers on twitter:

https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/followers

not too many black faces there - they're not the target audience. At the same time she's currently in a twitter feud with Cardi B, coincidentally while also flogging a book to her 2.2 million followers.

She isn't the only one fulfilling this role either:
    • Diamond & Silk - originally made videos about Black Lives Matter. Switched to making pro-Trump content. Now have 1.4 million twitter followers and are flogging a book
    • Terence K. Williams - a minor actor who doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Started putting out pro-Trump content. Now has 1.1 million twitter followers an and is, you guessed it, flogging a book

I read on that page you linked that Owens is from a marketing background. That probably helped her to notice that one side of the cultural divide was already saturated with black voices.
    In 2015, Owens was CEO of Degree180, a marketing agency that offered consultation, production, and planning services. The website included a blog which frequently posted anti-conservative and anti-Trump content, including mockery of his penis size. In a 2015 column that Owens wrote for the site, she criticized conservative Republicans, writing about the "bat-****-crazy antics of the Republican Tea Party," adding, "The good news is, they will eventually die off (peacefully in their sleep, we hope), and then we can get right on with the OBVIOUS social change that needs to happen, IMMEDIATELY."

The real gap was in the other side.
    By 2017, Owens had become known in conservative circles for her pro-Trump commentary, and for criticizing liberal rhetoric regarding structural racism, systemic inequality, and identity politics. In 2017, she began posting politically themed videos to YouTube.

She's a grifter, plain and simple. She doesn't represent anyone apart from herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Surely being the leader of the free world should not only be a job where you are allowed to do PEDs, but required to. It's not a sport. If it makes him better at his job then Biden should be doing lines straight off the resolute desk.

Im not sure that I would go along with your suggestion to Joe. Although 'Lines Of Resolution' does have a more serious ring than the 'red lines' or 'Lines in the Sand' that American politicians regularly trot out when it comes to things like foreign policy.

That said, the widespread and largely uncontrolled use of Crystal Meth during WWII by both Allied and Axis military was arguably one of the greatest causes of a) the duration of the war beyond the point at which the war was winnable for the Nazis, and b) the ability of Allied forces to undertake bombing missions that took many hours and could not have been completed if the crews were not in a heightened state of alert while over Europe.

Hitler made some of his worst tactical decisions while under the influence of massive cocktails of drugs that removed him from reality. Indeed in the 1940s up until he died, he seldom went anywhere without his personal physician who was always on hand to 'shoot him up'.

JFK couldnt get out of bed without strong injections of stimulants- not helped Im sure by Marilyn's antics the night before...

So, in that regard, even Donnie's alleged adderall usage is probably in the ha'penny place compared to the drug taking of previous leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

This about to happen

So he's both slow, old, boring, low energy and senile... but also taking clearly PEDs going by his performance and energy levels shown.

Shrodingers immigrant becomes Shrodingers candidate. It sounds like the videos of Biden cycling and jogging up ramps have hilariously got Trump and his thin skin rattled.

But the Dems can't go full on down the "Trump mishandled COVId" route because it's far to easy for Trump to point to examples of state government making mistakes when it comes to COVID.

Just like they could no use the "Trump is a sex pest" line in 2016 because the philanderer in chief was campaning for his wife, the same wife that ignored the philandering because it was politically expedient.

When all the history is written, Im sure therell be more than enough blame to go around about the response of all involved, including CDC, Governors and indeed the media.

That said, I see examples of FUBARs, un-preparedness, errors all over the place. But, NOWHERE has there been such a degree of manipulation of facts, egregious spin, outright lies as emanated from the Oval Office. And its still going on!

Look at how Trump put Michael Caputo, a long time acolyte of "rat****er in chief" and convicted felon Roger Stone, and a propagandist for Russian efforts to take out Joe Biden, into a role whereby he could CHANGE CDC Covid- related information and reports just so that Trump could control the message...

And this Michael Caputo is the fella who, in March this year, tweeted

"millions of Chinese suck the blood out of rabid bats as an appetizer and eat the ass out of anteaters."

And this guy is even NEAR CDC messaging???

FFS!!!!

I mean, C'mon Man!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Perhaps, but not inaccurate.

People are throwing the COVID numbers out there as if Trump's administration are primarily to blame. Let us stipulate that they are partially to blame, but if you want to argue about how the pandemic response organisation was cut and how the federal PPE reserve was cut, you have to make the same observations about places like California where the pandemic response organisation was cut and the state PPE reserve was cut. Not a single mask in the California state reserve wasn't expired, for example. The primary responsibility (and legal authority) for the response to any emergency lies with a State and its governor, it's just the way this country works. The US response overall has been pretty poor, but it works from the bottom up and has been a bi-partisan (and partisan, because now everything is about D vs R politics) balls-up.

Of course, what's reality, and what's the perception that people are going to vote on are two entirely separate matters. I personally doubt that enough voters are going to even consider the distinction, let alone consider it enough to warrant voting one way or the other in the grand scheme of things.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Perhaps, but not inaccurate.

People are throwing the COVID numbers out there as if Trump's administration are primarily to blame. Let us stipulate that they are partially to blame, but if you want to argue about how the pandemic response organisation was cut and how the federal PPE reserve was cut, you have to make the same observations about places like California where the pandemic response organisation was cut and the state PPE reserve was cut. Not a single mask in the California state reserve wasn't expired, for example. The primary responsibility (and legal authority) for the response to any emergency lies with a State and its governor, it's just the way this country works. The US response overall has been pretty poor, but it works from the bottom up and has been a bi-partisan (and partisan, because now everything is about D vs R politics) balls-up.

Of course, what's reality, and what's the perception that people are going to vote on are two entirely separate matters. I personally doubt that enough voters are going to even consider the distinction, let alone consider it enough to warrant voting one way or the other in the grand scheme of things.

So Trump continuously playing down COVID-19 when he knew full well of its ramifications are only ‘partly’ to blame.

It’s a pretty big part. He didn’t play it down because he didn’t want people to panic, he played it down because he knew it would be disastrous in an election year for him.

It’s self-serving bollocks and it baffles me that people deflect blame away from him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is Trump advocating for voter fraud in North Carolina?

Surely it is illegal to mail in a ballot (something he is against for other states) and then go and vote in person? Will they be able to tell on the day if a persons postal vote has been counted already?
    A - it is illegal to even ask someone to do that.

B - Impossible to tell unless the final cut-off point for postal votes to be received and processed is BEFORE the voting stations open. I don't think there are any states that start counting postal votes until after election day.

There is no excuse. As president Trump has unrivalled access to definitive legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t care who he has sex with or what he’s registered as, Dave Rubin is an arch grifter. He’s the absolute pits, he plays the “I’m a real liberal” angle for money. He’s an absolute disgrace.

Really talk about missing the point
    He and others have influence over their communities and their numbers are growing so their message is resonating with LGBT/black/liberal voters and if you think it wont effect they way they vote so be it
    But I see democrats losing a lot of those voters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

A - it is illegal to even ask someone to do that.

B - Impossible to tell unless the final cut-off point for postal votes to be received and processed is BEFORE the voting stations open. I don't think there are any states that start counting postal votes until after election day.

There is no excuse. As president Trump has unrivalled access to definitive legal advice.

Troll in chief has it in the news now constantly lol
    How many are now looking at this more seriously ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Faugheen wrote: »
    So Trump continuously playing down COVID-19 when he knew full well of its ramifications are only ‘partly’ to blame.

It’s a pretty big part. He didn’t play it down because he didn’t want people to panic, he played it down because he knew it would be disastrous in an election year for him.

It’s self-serving bollocks and it baffles me that people deflect blame away from him.

Not disputing that. The determination to blame Trump should not, however, deflect from any responsibility where it exists. I've no doubt that a number of State level politicians are saying "Thank God Trump's a waving red flag, and nobody's paying much attention to our screw-ups." We're basically talking about 50 countries, each with a legislature, department of health, and legal authorities. If von der Leyen had said "It's nothing to worry about", and Varadker had responded accordingly, would you expect folks wouldn't at least be asking questions as to the Irish response? It's not as if she covered herself with glory from her leadership of the EU Executive earlier this year, yet some countries seemed to manage perfectly fine. It's the same in the US. Some States, both with R and D leadership got it right, despite Trump. Some, with both R and D leadership didn't.

There is still only so far even his influence goes. Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that the leadership of the company I work are Trump-worshipping Republicans (They aren't, actually, they're uncomfortably open about their anti-Trump politics in my opinion). They decide that they want to have everyone return to work in the office, to obtain the praise of Trump like JP did. They'd need to find a new office, because by order of the Mayor of Austin and subject to both criminal and civil penalty, the office is closed. The President himself cannot override the Mayor. That sort of authority is vested at every level from city to State.

The bottom line is that if all the state level leaderships were doing their jobs properly, the US's coronavirus figures would be a lot less worse than they actually are. Trump is not helping, but Trump is not responsible for things like the slashing of California's pandemic budget and stockpile five years ago, NYC's encouraging of going about daily life in mid March, Florida's refusal to shut down over Spring Break or South Dakota's continuation of the Sturgis motorcyle rally.

To say that State level leadership screwed up is not to state that Trump's response was great. However, to state that the US's coronavirus condition today is the primary fault of Trump is to ignore that the people with the actual statutory authorities and obligations to lead in the pandemic response have in large part failed. And when Trump is out of office, that authority and obligation will still lie with the State, who will have to deal with the next problem to come along, without the benefit of being able to say "Look, Squirrel" and point at the President whilst their citizens die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Great to read articulate posts here from a poster who knows what they are talking about when it comes to how power is devolved in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Brian? wrote: »
    Ha! The GOP have spent 19 years politicising 11/9. Starting shortly after 11/9/2001 when Bush used it to bomb the bejesus our or Iraq

Afghanistan. Iraqi was invaded in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The bottom line is that if all the state level leaderships were doing their jobs properly, the US's coronavirus figures would be a lot less worse than they actually are. Trump is not helping, but Trump is not responsible for things like the slashing of California's pandemic budget and stockpile five years ago, NYC's encouraging of going about daily life in mid March, Florida's refusal to shut down over Spring Break or South Dakota's continuation of the Sturgis motorcyle rally.

To say that State level leadership screwed up is not to state that Trump's response was great. However, to state that the US's coronavirus condition today is the primary fault of Trump is to ignore that the people with the actual statutory authorities and obligations to lead in the pandemic response have in large part failed. And when Trump is out of office, that authority and obligation will still lie with the State, who will have to deal with the next problem to come along, without the benefit of being able to say "Look, Squirrel" and point at the President whilst their citizens die.

A lot of what you say is true but one of the reasons that a lot of the states were flailing about was that there was a complete abdication by the Federal Government. Sure the states have their own autonomy but the President wields a lot of power, both soft and hard.

At a time early on when the governors were looking to the President for a unified approach to the crisis it was not forthcoming. A good example of this failing was the sourcing of PPE. The states ended up competing directly with each other to try and find PPE and testing resources because the federal government decided not to source it via their agencies. The Governors were crying out for federal assistance but ended up having to fend for themselves.

Then there was the example set by the President. He is the politican who is more visible than any state or local official. His own supporters, especially will pay attention and respect what he says and does. He sent out confusing messages about wearing masks by saying that people should wear them but in the very same speeches saying he wasn't going to do it himself. That essentially gave the green light to anyone who didn't want to wear a mask.

He wanted people to be back in Churches for Easter Sunday (at the very worst of the death curve) - That kind of message validated all of the anti-lockdown protesters. He sent out tweets targeting individual states: "FREE MICHIGAN" for example. He told people publicly that it was not more dangerous than the flu while privately he was telling Bob Woodward that he knew it was many times more deadly than that. It was grossly irresponsible and undoubtedly cost many lives.

He's not solely responsible for the affect of Covid in the US, of course not, but he bears more responsibility than anyone else.

People are throwing the COVID numbers out there

Lets talk about numbers for a minute.

I know that, on the occasion of the anniversary of 9/11, I represented the imminent weekly death toll projection in terms of 9/11 casualties, thereby projecting between 1 and 3 9/11 death tolls EVERY WEEK. Some posters suggested that it was inappropriate to refer to 9/11 death tolls as part of an election as this would wrongly 'politicise' 9/11. Notwithstanding the fact that 9/11 death tolls have been politicised for years, and have been used to underpin draconian actions on the part of politicians and Government, as an alternative set of metrics, I posted numbers of US military combat deaths in previous US high-casualty times for comparison purposes to demonstrate how 6 months of Covid fatalities stack up against those previous times.

These numbers were offered for consideration as a comparator for the frightening fact that 200,000 souls have already been lost and the equally frightening projection that between 3 and 8 thousand people will die from Covid by October.

So, figures are not just being thrown out there, they are based on established records and projected numbers.
    as if Trump's administration are primarily to blame.

I wrote in a previous post:

"When all the history is written, Im sure therell be more than enough blame to go around about the response of all involved, including CDC, Governors and indeed the media.

That said, I see examples of FUBARs, un-preparedness, errors all over the place. But, NOWHERE has there been such a degree of manipulation of facts, egregious spin, outright lies as emanated from the Oval Office. And its still going on!

Look at how Trump put Michael Caputo, a long time acolyte of "rat****er in chief" and convicted felon Roger Stone, and a propagandist for Russian efforts to take out Joe Biden, into a role whereby he could CHANGE CDC Covid- related information and reports just so that Trump could control the message...

And this Michael Caputo is the fella who, in March this year, tweeted

"millions of Chinese suck the blood out of rabid bats as an appetizer and eat the ass out of anteaters."

And this guy is even NEAR CDC messaging??? "

Is that saying that Trump is "primarily to blame"? Possibly, but we dont know yet where the relative 'blame' lies as between the Administration and other actors. What we do know right now though, is that Trump and his Administration have managed the Federal Government's Covid response disastrously and the spin and lies that have emanated from it are appalling. Trump has marginalised science and stuffed the response with unqualified grifters such as Caputo and that is UNFORGIVABLE, and directly catalysing illness and death.

Take the mask situation: Trump has personally sabotaged public health efforts to get people to wear masks once they became available- in the early days masks were not available in sufficient numbers for general use and were reserved for front line Covid responders.- He has turned mask wearing into a partisan political statement that has resulted in extremes of hatred and vitriol. He refuses to wear one and belittles and decries those who do. Telling a reporter in the Briefing Room to take off his mask gives carte blanche to science-deniers to do the same and actively and abusively attack other people who wear one.

Science is telling us that, in order to prevent our spittle and contaminated aerosols from spewing out around us and affecting or even infecting others, a mask will be very useful. Its not telling us that cloth masks of the type the public wears are much use to protect our own self against aerosol virus. But the fundamental point that Trump is simply refusing to make is that if everyone wears a mask to protect everyone else, then by definition that 'social solidarity' will lead to far fewer aerosol borne virus particles in the air. He has turned mask wearing into a personal 'freedom' issue that resonates with swathes of people who feel the same, and ignoring the fact that its selfish freedom he is really advocating.

As yet another example of undermining science, he has appointed a new senior advisor to be his source for public health advice in relation to Covid- a Doctor with no public health qualifications or background. What's that about? He and his followers have spearheaded an anti-Fauci message when Fauci is about the only widely trusted official in the whole debacle.

So, yes- Trump personally, and his Administration collectively, are absolutely to blame for the appalling Federal response to Covid. Do others share blame for the overall response? Absolutely! But this thread is not about everyone else. Its about the Election for President. Its about Biden v Trump. And in that context, Trump has behaved appallingly, has led a cack-handed Federal response and has lied to the people.

Biden must make that clear!
    Let us stipulate that they are partially to blame, but if you want to argue about how the pandemic response organisation was cut and how the federal PPE reserve was cut, you have to make the same observations about places like California where the pandemic response organisation was cut and the state PPE reserve was cut. Not a single mask in the California state reserve wasn't expired, for example.

As I said earlier, theres more than enough blame to go around. Issues around how California did or did not prepare and perform are valid issues for debate, but they're not germane to the issues of how Trump has failed the people, unless its an argument to deflect from Trump's appalling management. This is particularly so, as much of the California disaster preparedness started to go bad over 10 years ago after Swartzeneggers initial massive investment could no longer be maintained once the recession hit at the end of the noughties.
    The primary responsibility (and legal authority) for the response to any emergency lies with a State and its governor, it's just the way this country works. The US response overall has been pretty poor, but it works from the bottom up and has been a bi-partisan (and partisan, because now everything is about D vs R politics) balls-up.

Yes, elements do work from the bottom up. But many other e!ements work only at a Federal level with limited local presence at a State/local level. Take NIH or CDC for instance. They have capabilities that are necessary but that cannot be replicated at a State level. They are a part of the Federal Government and controlled by it.

Once again, it is clear: States and local Governments are responsible for those elements that are under their control. They are NOT responsible for elements that may well be located within their borders but are NOT controlled by them
    [/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Faugheen wrote: »

It's not quite this, because nearly every other leader on earth has had a boost in popularity off the back of COVID. Even in countries like Italy, where it was a disaster, the Italian PM mostly had decent press, because there was an understanding that, as the guineapigs for European COVID, they didn't have a lot of information and couldn't be expected to get everything spot on.

COVID should've been what Trump needed to guarantee he got reelected. For someone in his position, it was a chance to prove that, whatever you think about him, at least he's a good adminstrator. He's a deal-maker. He might be unlikable, but he can take the facts as they are and govern competently. Poltically, the pandemic should've been Mana from Heaven for Trump.

It has been his total inability to think strategically, his gross incompetence, willful ignorance and simple lack of intelligence that has meant he has squandered that opportunity, at the cost of thousands of lives.

He almost couldn't have done a worse job if he was trying to. If there was a leaked tape of him saying he was throwing the election, it'd honestly make more sense than what we've seen, because it's hard to wrap your head around how bad he is at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

With Florida being a key battleground, this could prove important

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1305127088110804993?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

everlast75 wrote: »
    With Florida being a key battleground, this could prove important

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/status/1305127088110804993?s=19

How close is it between Biden and Trump in Florida at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,424 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Headshot wrote: »

I think it's pretty tight there at the moment, Trump will probably still win Florida but if Bloomburg really is spending $100 million on negative ads against Trump then the Republicans will have to counter those ads.

There is talk of them having spaffed away nearly a billion already so having to spend money in Florida will take away from states that really need to have the money spent in.

Neck and neck, (latest poll I saw has Biden up by 2% I think) and will be right up to the end. Bloomberg is trying to help with the Latino vote, this is the demographic that causes Biden problems.

Florida is always close so every little helps, it's the key state for me, more on the line for trump obviously but it's still the key state.

• Advertisement

Neck and neck so pretty smart to heavily invest in it.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/florida/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement