Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all talk about Lewis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

So his personal trainer and physio hands him hats and watches after he gets out of the car and jogs beside him holding his scooter while he is crying to the stewards and accompanies him on papparazzi dates?

Reliable source indeed.

Her name is Angela Cullen, and she works for a Swiss based high performance coaching organisation called Hintsa Performance. There are 12 F1 drivers with a Hintsa performance coach doing the same job for them as Ms Cullen does for Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Anjobe wrote: »

Her name is Angela Cullen, and she works for a Swiss based high performance coaching organisation called Hintsa Performance. There are 12 F1 drivers with a Hintsa performance coach doing the same job for them as Ms Cullen does for Lewis.

Sounds like a marketkng exercise. Just like when you see ripped sportmen drinking pure sugar drinks at all times with the brand on the bottle.

Sounds like a marketkng exercise. Just like when you see ripped sportmen drinking pure sugar drinks at all times with the brand on the bottle.

That makes no sense at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Killinator

Nobody gives a s*ite about any of the other drivers personal assistants or private lives, it's like an obsession for some!

Killinator wrote: »
    Nobody gives a s*ite about any of the other drivers personal assistants or private lives, it's like an obsession for some!

We dont see them.

• Advertisement

We dont see them.

You do, there at with the drivers all the time, especially at events.

Lewis is a walking billboard just like the rest of them.
    If he opens his mouth he is criticised, if he keeps it closed hes criticised.
    The price of being so successfull I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Anjobe wrote: »

She gave him his hair elastic during the race stoppage last Sunday. Helped him tie his lovely braids back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Killinator wrote: »
    You do, there at with the drivers all the time, especially at events.

Lewis is a walking billboard just like the rest of them.
    If he opens his mouth he is criticised, if he keeps it closed hes criticised.
    The price of being so successfull I suppose.
    the thing is that we dont know what political persuasion, dietry choices, choice of private jet etc for the rest of the drivers because they dont go around forcing it on us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Meh, This sport is about marginal gains.

If that means looking after your driver bar wiping their arse thats what you do.

Maybe if the rest of the drivers have someone like her they would be getting the drives in the Mercs and winning championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I don't really care what he is like off the track but on the track he is seriously talented, the numbers speak for themselves. F1 really needs to do something about the distance between teams. Lewis and Bottas running away with the lead then Max ends up on his own in 3rd. The mid table fight is the most entertaining part but F2 is much more entertaining to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

She gave him his hair elastic during the race stoppage last Sunday. Helped him tie his lovely braids back.

Do none of ye do any bloody research into these things before attacking a driver and the people who help them!? That Swiss performance team have been providing trainers to drivers for years. Even Mika Hakkinen had one back in the 90's, again provided by that exact same Swiss team. Dont see anyone having a go at Mika for it. The whole idea is they take care of every little detail for their client so the driver only has to think about one thing, driving as fast as possible! So if that includes holding on to hair bands for a driver then so be it.

The drivers spend so much time with these trainers that they develop close bonds with them. No wonder we see Lewis go out of his way to share the (usually) winning moment with her as she is a vital piece of the team to him.

Does no one remember Ron Dennis grabbing Alonsos trainer on the pitwall in Hungary 07 after the qualifying debacle!? The Ron thought the trainer knew something because, just like Lewis now, they spend so much time together.

Are ye only taking notice because she's a short blonde lady!? Would ye even look twice if it was some guy in team gear!? Or is it because it's Lewis?

Or is it because it's Lewis?

It's because it's Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wonder does or did Vettel have one of these trainers? If so he must have gotten a not so great one as it has not helped him this year at all. Leclerc is really pushing the Ferrari as hard as he can and putting it into places it would not be with a less skilled driver and if Vettel tried a bit harder he might to better too but I think his mind is not with Ferrari anymore.

AMKC wrote: »
    I wonder does or did Vettel have one of these trainers? If so he must have gotten a not so great one as it has not helped him this year at all. Leclerc is really pushing the Ferrari as hard as he can and putting it into places it would not be with a less skilled driver and if Vettel tried a bit harder he might to better too but I think his mind is not with Ferrari anymore.

Yes, Vettel has one and has had since his Red Bull days.

Do none of ye do any bloody research into these things before attacking a driver and the people who help them!? That Swiss performance team have been providing trainers to drivers for years. Even Mika Hakkinen had one back in the 90's, again provided by that exact same Swiss team. Dont see anyone having a go at Mika for it. The whole idea is they take care of every little detail for their client so the driver only has to think about one thing, driving as fast as possible! So if that includes holding on to hair bands for a driver then so be it.

The drivers spend so much time with these trainers that they develop close bonds with them. No wonder we see Lewis go out of his way to share the (usually) winning moment with her as she is a vital piece of the team to him.

Does no one remember Ron Dennis grabbing Alonsos trainer on the pitwall in Hungary 07 after the qualifying debacle!? The Ron thought the trainer knew something because, just like Lewis now, they spend so much time together.

Are ye only taking notice because she's a short blonde lady!? Would ye even look twice if it was some guy in team gear!? Or is it because it's Lewis?

Yes, I know they all have them. You obviously missed my attempt at a sarcastic poke at Lewis' image.

Obviously she gets more visibility as she's around the 6-time champion. It does, however, highlight just how ridiculous some of the marketing that the drivers are all involved in, from slapping on the watches in the warm-down room, the designer shades, and of course that customary sip Lewis takes from the back-to-front can of Monster at the start of his first press interview, the can of course handed to him by herself and immediately taken back after said single sip. I know money makes the world go around but some of these brazen product placements make me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

None of that is in any way new.
    Even twenty years ago they were at it. Putting in the watch, tying the overalls around the waist and putting on a fake overall top with stiffer sponsor patches so they'd be more visible in the press conference.

He arrived today in an t shirt with a slogan asking to arrest cops who killed an innocent woman while raiding the wrong house by accident.

With his Puma shoes, watch sponsors, branded scooter and very loud shorts that im sure somebody into shorts would know the brand.

Two sherrifs shot yesterday over there just sitting in their car. I think they mainly worked bus security stuff. One of them a young woman with a 6 year old son.

Guy just walked up and shot them. Is it time to push the idea of togetherness?

What a twat wearing that teeshirt on the podium. I'm sure some of the sponsors will have something to say about that, with their logos hidden underneath.

What an utter detestable person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

So we're angry at him for being a walking billboard, and now angry that he covers up the billboard? For an innocent paramedic who was shot dead.

Kinda hard for him to win with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The only way he'll win is if he gets a career ending injury (though not fatal) Those who like him can reminiscence forever, those who don't can say thank f__k he's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

flazio wrote: »
    The only way he'll win is if he gets a career ending injury (though not fatal) Those who like him can reminiscence forever, those who don't can say thank f__k he's gone.

thats not fair

most people dont want him any harm. all we want is to stop forcing his opinions onto others.
    i agree with his mesage today but not that he said it in this way

So we're angry at him for being a walking billboard, and now angry that he covers up the billboard? For an innocent paramedic who was shot dead.

Kinda hard for him to win with some people.

No, I never said I was angry with him or the others about the marketing, only that it's funny hoe it's so in your face sometimes. What I am a angry about, however, is this constant politics that he's bringing into every race. As others have said, if he feels so strongly about it then he should boycott some races, like other sports people have done. Though the whole BLM thing is a bit ott by now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Firstly, I do think he’s over-rated, fortunate to be in incredibly dominant car, and I find his faux-humility really inauthentic and dislikeable.

All that said, I find it impossible to criticise him for the Black Lives Matter stuff — he is 100% justified in using his platform to promote those causes, and there’s nothing to suggest he’s not doing it from a sincere and genuine place. At the end of the day, it’s easier not to rock the boat, not to cause issues for the team or for sponsors, not to alienate fans, and not to put his hand in his pocket to fund the Hamilton Commission, so I admire his principled stand.

Firstly, I do think he’s over-rated, fortunate to be in incredibly dominant car, and I find his faux-humility really inauthentic and dislikeable.

All that said, I find it impossible to criticise him for the Black Lives Matter stuff — he is 100% justified in using his platform to promote those causes, and there’s nothing to suggest he’s not doing it from a sincere and genuine place. At the end of the day, it’s easier not to rock the boat, not to cause issues for the team or for sponsors, not to alienate fans, and not to put his hand in his pocket to fund the Hamilton Commission, so I admire his principled stand.

I just dont believe he cares about any of these causes. He is using the bandwagon to sell Puma.

I think the police he wants arrested got sent to the wrong house. Somebody in the house thought they were intruders and fired on them. They shot back. Surely he should wait for the full inquiry in these things that nearly always end up having more to the story once all the facts come out. (I think this is the case)
    He should be using his podium for democracy, awaiting the outcome of fair trials, what he is doing is stoking tensions supporting trial by facebook selling scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hamilton’s T-shirt was an absolute and utter disgrace after the GP.

Whoever ok’d that should be sacked immediately.

The PC brigade messaging has got WAY out of control.

Drive your car and shut the f up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I bet you wouldn't say that if a driver swapped out their usual cap for a red "Make America Great Again" cap. You'd probably say "Good on them"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

flazio wrote: »
    I bet you wouldn't say that if a driver swapped out their usual cap for a red "Make America Great Again" cap. You'd probably say "Good on them"

Nope I’d be saying the same thing.

Bottom line is he’s being allowed to say whatever the hell he wants and it’s not the place for it.

I’m honestly flabbergasted that’s he wasn’t reprimanded for that bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

"PC brigade messaging"

If you have any issue with anyone using a public platform to support the end of racism, and social injustice, then you're very likely just racist yourself.

If it was soccer he would get a heavy fine for any political messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭This is it

Anyone have an image of the t-shirt?

Advertisement