Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

• 02-09-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

After 6 years with a Delonghi Magnifica B2C - am thinking of going upgrading to a semi-automatic machine .... and specifically the Barista Express.
    Always buy fresh beans .. so might as well think about using a better machine?

Have read reviews, watch vids etc. ... and the only negative is that the grinder adjustments could be a bit finer.

What I do like ...

- reviews are very positive otherwise
    - the gauge ... which genuinely should help produce a good shot
    - the price @ 575
    - separate grinder and something like the Gaggia Classic would be more expensive
    - Looks great (which makes it an easier sell to the missus)
    - frother gets good kudos too

Any owners out there that could give feedback?

Also ... any B2C machine owners make a similar upgrade? Can I expect much higher quality shots than the Delonghi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

keith_d99 wrote: »
    After 6 years with a Delonghi Magnifica B2C - am thinking of going upgrading to a semi-automatic machine .... and specifically the Barista Express.

Have read reviews, watch vids etc. ... and the only negative is that the grinder adjustments could be a bit finer.

What I do like ...

- the price @ 575
    - separate grinder and something like the Gaggia Classic would be more expensive

Also ... any B2C machine owners make a similar upgrade? Can I expect much higher quality shots than the Delonghi?

On the bolded, you can do better, just do you know: https://velocoffee.ie/products/the-barista-express-by-sage

Considering a B2C of some form myself at the moment, and seesawing between an automatic like the DeLonghi (if one comes up on a discount), and something like this, so interested in other comments on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

What I do like ...

- the price @ 575

I have the previous model of the Barista Express for over a year now and its been great. Its my first bean to cup machine so can't give any comparison there. Think last machine was a Delonghi but with no grinder so used pre ground and obviously the Sage is miles better than that system.

Get lovely shots out of it once dialled in and milk frother is more than up to the task. Regarding the grinder settings, I read the same about the graduations but its not been an issue for me. For the odd time it needs to be dialled in that precisely I've seen people put one of those heavy duty paper clips on to hold it in place but I've never had to do that.

Is the DeLonghi an automatic job? I looked at those but I actually enjoy the whole hands on process of dialling in my shots more. In short, great machine and no complaints in over a years use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

cython wrote: »
    On the bolded, you can do better, just do you know: https://velocoffee.ie/products/the-barista-express-by-sage

Considering a B2C of some form myself at the moment, and seesawing between an automatic like the DeLonghi (if one comes up on a discount), and something like this, so interested in other comments on this thread.

Yeah I was gonna go for the all silver version @ 575 .... but it has since sold out!

VeloCoffee got back to me to say that they won't have more until October at the earliest as Sage are struggling to produce enough to meet demand. Covid related no doubt.

(btw VeloCoffee seem to a decent outfit ... their response time was excellent)

Might just go for the black.

They are also in Currys/Harvey Normans but up at 670?!
    BT also do them ... but no sure on price/availability.
    They are sold out on their online store.

skerry wrote: »
    I have the previous model of the Barista Express for over a year now and its been great. Its my first bean to cup machine so can't give any comparison there. Think last machine was a Delonghi but with no grinder so used pre ground and obviously the Sage is miles better than that system.

Get lovely shots out of it once dialled in and milk frother is more than up to the task. Regarding the grinder settings, I read the same about the graduations but its not been an issue for me. For the odd time it needs to be dialled in that precisely I've seen people put one of those heavy duty paper clips on to hold it in place but I've never had to do that.

Is the DeLonghi an automatic job? I looked at those but I actually enjoy the whole hands on process of dialling in my shots more. In short, great machine and no complaints in over a years use.

The Delonghi is fully automatic yeah ... and can't be knocked for convenience :) The frother does the job also ... but is limited. I just get the feeling you can get a much better brew with a semi-automatic (with more control).

Came across a review that compared brews from machines ...
    Delonghi got a respectable 7/10 ... the Barista Express 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

DID are selling it for 549 and that includes a free 1kg bag of coffee beans.

You don't want to waste good coffee when trying to figure out how to pull good shots, so use their cheapo beans.

It takes about 1 week for DID to order it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I got one off Velo was Excellent to deal with and came with 3 bags of coffee beans to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭flipflophead22

Thinking of geting one, are ye happy with the purchase?

Yeah am happy with it, takes while to get used to. I’d have like the pro one for faster heating for milk, but couldn’t justify the cost at time

raytaxi wrote: »
    Yeah am happy with it, takes while to get used to. I’d have like the pro one for faster heating for milk, but couldn’t justify the cost at time

good to hear, yeah unless the pro one was on sale.

Does it take long to get used to it. Think i will order from Velo too, i prefer the black to the silver.

Works pretty much out of box, everyone I know with them says that. Was pretty easy to get drinkable coffee it longer to get very good.
    You will go thru quite a lot of coffee it seems to be set up to use 18/19 g a double shot. Depending on where you are your more than welcome to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there much difference between this model and the Sage Barista pro ( other than having an LCD readout)?

Using different system for heating newer design. Faster heat up, faster switching for heating milk stepless grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I have used 2 sage machines. Current 1 Sage Barista Pro is 9 months old and touch wood behaves. Slightly more manual (the milk) than the other.

The other a Sage Barista Touch broke after 11 months. Firstly the milk frother wouldn't work. Then immediately after that the grinder went crazy, it wouldn't stop. Just kept throwing ground coffee all over the place.

Then, it tripped the electrics in my kitchen (which never happens)

Lovely coffee :-)

Went ahead and got the Barista Express

Fantastic upgrade from the Delonghi B2C ... coffee is on another level.

Be prepared to watch plenty of YouTube vids (especially on "dialling it in" :)). Pretty easy to use all the same though. Had it producing a decent shot within minutes. The frother is quite easy to use as well. Once you get used to the machine ... it's very enjoyable to use if that makes sense. You have a lot more control over the type of shot you produce and indeed the froth. The pressure needle is very useful in getting the grind right.

Build quality is very impressive. Would highly recommend the machine.

Went ahead and got the Barista Express

Fantastic upgrade from the Delonghi B2C ... coffee is on another level.

Be prepared to watch plenty of YouTube vids (especially on "dialling it in" :)). Pretty easy to use all the same though. Had it producing a decent shot within minutes. The frother is quite easy to use as well. Once you get used to the machine ... it's very enjoyable to use if that makes sense. You have a lot more control over the type of shot you produce and indeed the froth. The pressure needle is very useful in getting the grind right.

Build quality is very impressive. Would highly recommend the machine.

Sounds great, im looking to buy one within the next week or two. Are they loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Sounds great, im looking to buy one within the next week or two. Are they loud?

Quite loud. Particularly the grinder.

Ok dont think it will stop me anyway, everyone seems to love this machine. Whats the warranty out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Klopp

Quite loud. Particularly the grinder.

I would echo both points, the Barista is loud.

Lots of frustration trying to dial in and get decent pressure but worth it when you get great coffee :)

Klopp wrote: »
    I would echo both points, the Barista is loud.

Lots of frustration trying to dial in and get decent pressure but worth it when you get great coffee :)

How long to get used to it?

How long to get used to it?

I watched a lot videos on tips and the reviews before i decided to make the purchase. I got use to it within a few days. I got a bit ocd trying to get it all perfect, the extraction and timing. The only negative i came across was the inbuilt grinder isn't great and i agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I only got my Barista Express recently too. It's my first go at espresso; I've had a tonne of coffee gadgets over the years (aeropress, moka pot, v60, nanopresso etc). But I've been loving mine. It did take some time to get used to, but for me the beans I started with just weren't right for espresso, they were a light roast and produced a sour shot no matter what you did. After getting some beans roasted for espresso I was able to dial it in very quickly. Now pulling great shots with minimal effort.

I'd definitely recommend it, although I don't have any experience outside of this machine. I find the grinder does a good job; I did invest in a bottomless portafilter to watch the process more closely which is fun. Espresso is definitely one of those hobbies where online communities are always drawn to very expensive gear (maybe the Barista Express is example enough!), but you can get great results from the machine as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have had mine since approx. March, just before lockdown and find it great. Took some serious getting used to, and I would echo the above points that the grinder may hold it back, but I get really nice espresso from mine now.

Youtube, youtube and more youtube to help you out with it.

I had to adjust the upper burr setting to go finer, and even now I find the regular grind setting as low as 2 to get some decent shots out of it.
    I am using bean in dingle at the moment, their house blend, with a grind setting of 2.
    18.5 in, 38 out in 29/30 seconds on average.

I wish I didnt have to go as far as adjusting the upper burr, but ah well. Works a treat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Have had mine since approx. March, just before lockdown and find it great. Took some serious getting used to, and I would echo the above points that the grinder may hold it back, but I get really nice espresso from mine now.

Youtube, youtube and more youtube to help you out with it.

I had to adjust the upper burr setting to go finer, and even now I find the regular grind setting as low as 2 to get some decent shots out of it.
    I am using bean in dingle at the moment, their house blend, with a grind setting of 2.
    18.5 in, 38 out in 29/30 seconds on average.

I wish I didnt have to go as far as adjusting the upper burr, but ah well. Works a treat now.

That post is as valuable as 10 YouTube videos. (I hate getting info from YouTube - too much waffle before they get to the point.)

Also another note, the steam wand is not the strongest. It's a single hole steam wand so frothing milk does take that big longer than most machines like the BE.

Learning to froth milk is a whole other ball game...be warned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Dont be afraid to remove and properly clean the grinder gears from time to time.

Also descaling the machine is vital if you want to hold onto it for a few years.

Dont be afraid to remove and properly clean the grinder gears from time to time.

Also descaling the machine is vital if you want to hold onto it for a few years.

What do you use for descaling?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Also interested in this. I've just ordered some of the cleaning tablets that you get a sample of with the machine. I have yet to do any cleaning so far though.

Also, this just landed in the post:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Breville-Barista-Express-Pro-Touch-Dosing-Funnel-Grinder-Trigger-Button-BES870XL/264819160856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=564644360997&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

A dosing funnel to make things a bit cleaner/neater when grinding into the portafilter. It also allows you to de-clump the grounds before tamping. I just pulled my first shot using it and made an immediate difference. Worth it for the relatively low cost I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I descaled mine today and used the Astonish descaler. Think herself for it in Dealz for a couple of euro for a litre. Works perfect

I descaled my Sage using UrnexCafiza i ordered on Amazon, the delivery took 5 weeks but otherwise i would recommend.

To anyone looking to remove the burr to ajust the grind setting.

I removed my own burr grinder, the first time i found it easy to remove and it clicked back in but the second time it wouldn't click or if it did wasn't a loud click like the first time and i spent ages listening out for the loud click which never happened. The burr is lined up to the lock position and grinder is working away. The flimsy wire is lazy engineering on the design and i found it difficult so be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Any generic kettle descaler will do. The programme itself is very short as in the descaler doesn't sit long in the machine. I usually repeat the process a couple of times with descaler in the tank and then do the rinse part a few times too.

Because the descaler doesn't sit in the machine for long it wont actually remove any solid deposits. Therefore I find it better to carry out the descaling regularly so those deposits dont get a chance to build up!

If the machine gets badly clogged with scale you will have a pain in your ass trying to find someone who will repair it. You may end up having to bin it! Its vital!
    All depends on your water hardness of course. Mine is very bad

Advertisement