Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Brilliant comeback from Rublevc last night. Very measured after a terrific start from Berrettini, who will have to figure out how to play defence if he is to win anything. Unreal on the front foot, but once Rublev countered him, he had no plan B. When Rublev is hitting well he is a sight to behold as well, and chased everything down last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Zverev through to the semis where he will play Shapovalov.

A big opportunity for both of them.

It should be a good match as they are both in fine form so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm impressed with Rogers, she seems to have a very complete game.
    She is built like a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mzungu wrote: »
    Zverev through to the semis where he will play Shapovalov.

A big opportunity for both of them.

It should be a good match as they are both in fine form so far.

Shapovalov lost...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shapovalov lost...

Balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

whiterebel wrote: »
    Balls.
    New balls.

john9876 wrote: »
    New balls.

Out with the new, back with the older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Serena in final set now..

Hoping she loses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

walshb wrote: »

Hoping she loses!!

You've just jinxed it, she'll definitely win now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Medvedev playing some great stuff. Some comeback in the first set tiebreak as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

walshb wrote: »

Hoping she loses!!

Here is a post of mine from 07/09/16 during the US Open: Serena is on the way down for me. Not the player she was a couple of years ago in terms of speed and movement. What she has, of course, is That Serve (the best ever woman's serve, no doubt), her battering ground strokes and her absolute determination and will to win. She seems to intimidate so many of the women players that they are beaten before they enter the court!

Worked for her again tonight! Nine aces in the 2nd set and dominated the 3rd with short points won by ground strokes. Hate to say it but this is a sad reflection on the standard of women's tennis now! I mean. Serena is still a decent player but no way should she be getting to Grand Slam SF's and Finals. Where is the new generation??

I know people might say that it is the same in the Men's division but (for me) Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are still playing at a very high level and are a long way from sitting ducks for a supremely talented newcomer, in the way that Serena is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Mertens been a big let down tonight but still Aza been hugely impressive and looks frighteningly near the force of old. Would fancy her to take down Serena if she maintains this level, she'll be clever and move her all over the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Here is a post of mine from 07/09/16 during the US Open: Serena is on the way down for me. Not the player she was a couple of years ago in terms of speed and movement. What she has, of course, is That Serve (the best ever woman's serve, no doubt), her battering ground strokes and her absolute determination and will to win. She seems to intimidate so many of the women players that they are beaten before they enter the court!

Worked for her again tonight! Nine aces in the 2nd set and dominated the 3rd with short points won by ground strokes. Hate to say it but this is a sad reflection on the standard of women's tennis now! I mean. Serena is still a decent player but no way should she be getting to Grand Slam SF's and Finals. Where is the new generation??

I know people might say that it is the same in the Men's division but (for me) Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are still playing at a very high level and are a long way from sitting ducks for a supremely talented newcomer, in the way that Serena is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, most female players are beaten before they play her,before she had the baby, all she had to do was turn up and she'd more than likely win the slams, she was more dominant in her thirties before giving birth than her twenties. The few times that players actually stood up to her and moved her around the court she struggled. Her serve and power is unrivalled in the women's game, but she also has a fierce determination to win which most of the top female players are lacking, also how many times have players crumbled when in a winning position against her, for some of them it's almost like they are afraid to win against her.
    The women's game is strange in that the general standard (say top 100)is better than say 20/30 years ago, but, the top 10 is probably weaker and players are so inconsistent.

The men's game has a similar problem, although as you say Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are still playing at a high level (not as high as 5/10 years ago), but, again the younger guys don't have that same drive and determination to win, hopefully now that there will be a new slam champion, the younger guys really kick on and really challenge the big 3 in the slams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hilarious the way so many people on various social media think that woman made a meal of being hit by a tennis ball, and compare it to the likes of Ronaldo making a meal of a foul to try con a referee. Such idiocy. A football player has an incentive to do that, to try fool a referee into giving a free kick, a penalty etc so that the team benefits. What exactly has this woman got to gain by throwing herself to the floor and rolling around? Does she have money on Djokovic losing? Give over!

She was completely unawares, hit in the throat by a ball travelling at speed. It may not be considered "speed" compared to a proper serve in tennis, but in the everyday world that ball was travelling at speed. I wouldn't fancy getting hit in the throat by a ball going at that speed, but if others would enjoy that, fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Hilarious the way so many people on various social media think that woman made a meal of being hit by a tennis ball, and compare it to the likes of Ronaldo making a meal of a foul to try con a referee. Such idiocy. A football player has an incentive to do that, to try fool a referee into giving a free kick, a penalty etc so that the team benefits. What exactly has this woman got to gain by throwing herself to the floor and rolling around? Does she have money on Djokovic losing? Give over!

She was completely unawares, hit in the throat by a ball travelling at speed. It may not be considered "speed" compared to a proper serve in tennis, but in the everyday world that ball was travelling at speed. I wouldn't fancy getting hit in the throat by a ball going at that speed, but if others would enjoy that, fire ahead.

100% agree. Just the Djokovic fanboys trying to defend him. He has form for freaking out when things aren't going his way. It was all set up for him to walk the slam and he ruined it for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

take a size 5 to the ear on a winters morning then she can have a whinge ,absolute performance by her

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

byronbay2 wrote: »

Osaka? Barty? Andreescu? :pac:

Agreed. Some of the vitriol aimed at her online was unreal. A Serbian tabloid published her Instagram leading to hundreds of abusive comments, including poking fun at the death of her son. Sad for someone just doing their job.

Anyway I'm rooting for Azarenka from here on in, has always been able to be competitive with Serena but has never beaten her at a grand slam. She'll never have a better chance than now.

On the men's side I think it's Medvedev I'm rooting for, would usually be Thiem but I've gone off him a lot this year unfortunately. I think Medvedev deserves it after getting so close at last year's insane final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Osaka? Barty? Andreescu? :pac:

On the men's side I think it's Medvedev I'm rooting for, would usually be Thiem but I've gone off him a lot this year unfortunately. I think Medvedev deserves it after getting so close at last year's insane final.
    Can I ask why so? He seems like one of the more likeable players on the tour

Can I ask why so? He seems like one of the more likeable players on the tour

Took apart in the Adria Cup sh*tshow and many exho's immediately after, continuously refused to self isolate and had a general dickish/sneering attitude to it all. Came across a bit of a cnut tbh, but hopefully won't be the way going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mertens been a big let down tonight but still Aza been hugely impressive and looks frighteningly near the force of old. Would fancy her to take down Serena if she maintains this level, she'll be clever and move her all over the court.

Mertens is insanely consistent when it comes to beating who she should, but sadly for her also losing to superior players around the quarter final stage of an event. Azarenka however took advantage and was excellent.

The semi finals of the ladies I am looking forward to immensely.

Men's semis? Thiem v Med will be good, no real interest in Zverev v Busta.

The Zverev v Coric match was horrific.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Mertens is insanely consistent when it comes to beating who she should, but sadly for her also losing to superior players around the quarter final stage of an event. Azarenka however took advantage and was excellent.

The semi finals of the ladies I am looking forward to immensely.

Men's semis? Thiem v Med will be good, no real interest in Zverev v Busta.

The Zverev v Coric match was horrific.

Serena-Azarenka could be a terrific match, maybe even match of the tournament. They always push each other to their best. Wouldn't be a surprise to see Serena get off to a slow start and drop the opening set, whether Azarenka can get over the line is another thing. Just a shame the match is on so late that I won't be able to watch. Really pissed off with that scheduling actually, I remember in previous editions watch the women's SF's during the day.

One of those things i actually managed to convince myself that Mertens would deliver last night and went away wondering what on earth I'd been thinking. Another Svitolina in the making i fear!

Azarenka been playing the best tennis for the past month now. Could be a classic but gonna go for her to win it in two.

That was a very high quality semi between Brady and Osaka.

Brady just dipped a little in the first set tie break and beginning of third set which cost her sadly. Hopefully this is not a one off and she keeps the momentum going, if she can tighten up her return of serve she could be very dangerous.

Ace to finish it. No messing about from Azarenka there. Serena just really ran out of gas, better match up for final i think.

Some comeback that from Aza after getting mauled in the first set. Serena a little sloppy at the beginning of the second set cost her as she could have put this to bed early but alas Aza fought back back really well.

Two enjoyable semi finals nonetheless.

Osaka in three in the final, but wouldn't put money on it whatsoever.:p

So happy for Azarenka! I want her to win this so bad. Must admit I've become less invested in Osaka in recent times, mainly I think her loss to Gauff at the Australian Open made me realise she'll probably never be the consistent force I was hoping she'd be. Plus after everything Azarenka's been through with personal struggles, injuries etc. I don't think anyone could say finally winning the US Open wouldn't be richly deserved. And if she wins it by taking out Osaka, Serena and three other seeded players I don't think there'll be any arguments about it being asterisked either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,233 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Brady just dipped a little in the first set tie break and beginning of third set which cost her sadly. Hopefully this is not a one off and she keeps the momentum going, if she can tighten up her return of serve she could be very dangerous.

Brady should have done alot better on Osakas weak second serve.
    Osaka won 59% of points on the second serve, off a 57% first serve in.

Fine player that Osaka is, I find her boring to watch.

hopefully Medvedev Thiem will be a decent match

Medvedev is slight favourite with the bookies

Zverev being mullered. Just about to go 2 sets down. Rusedski is a terrible commentator, and seems to be annoying Petchey no end with his drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

Is there a way of watching the full Thiem v Medvedev match on replay on Amazon Prime without knowing the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yes, you just select that individual match and it'll play from the beginning.

Harry lyme wrote: »
    Is there a way of watching the full Thiem v Medvedev match on replay on Amazon Prime without knowing the result.

Amazon Prime won't tell you the result

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

This is the future of the men's game, the likes of Carreno-Busta getting to slam finals....or flakey Zverev...

This has been a dismal match and a great argument for abolishing 5 sets.

Hoping Zverev wins, he'd be much more competitive in a final than Pablo.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

This has been a dismal match and a great argument for abolishing 5 sets.
    lo.

It's a great argument for the big three/four....

• Advertisement

Just end this Zverev so we can see a proper tennis match.:mad:

lostcat wrote: »
    This is the future of the men's game, the likes of Carreno-Busta getting to slam finals....or flakey Zverev...

might be heading towards a bit more what the women's game has been like for a long time alright.

unlikely to have quite the "variety" and "depth" of the WTA winning roster tho (aka the flake army)

X9Bg84l.png

Just end this Zverev so we can see a proper tennis match.:mad:

It's gone on so long I won't be able to stay up for the Medvedev/Thiem match, the one I actually wanted to see :(

I actually wanted PCB to win but would've feared a dud final if he made it through. Hope and think the winner will come from the Thiem match anyway.

It's gone on so long I won't be able to stay up for the Medvedev/Thiem match, the one I actually wanted to see :(

I actually wanted PCB to win but would've feared a dud final if he made it through. Hope and think the winner will come from the Thiem match anyway.

PCB seems like a nice chap but yeah glad to see him not in the final.:o

Zverev has an excellent H2H v Thiem so I do think he will go up a level in the final.

PCB seems like a nice chap but yeah glad to see him not in the final.:o

Zverev has an excellent H2H v Thiem so I do think he will go up a level in the final.

He's 2-7 against Thiem, and 0-3 against him at grand slams :pac:

• Advertisement

He's 2-7 against Thiem, and 0-3 against him at grand slams :pac:

Zverev is due a win against him so!:D

It might be advisable, as a precaution, to go to A+E to treat that burn.

:pac:

He's 5-1 against Medvedev but a few of those wins came before Medevedv was at the level he's been at the last couple of years. Also they've never played at a grand slam, so if Medvedev gets past Thiem I'd make him favourite in the final.

glasso wrote: »
    It might be advisable, as a precaution, to go to A+E to treat that burn.

Ha just realised my error, he has a 5-1 v Med who I meant to type.

I'l be down to specsavers in the morning.:o

Medvedev is a top notch heel, hopefully the PR people never ruin him.

need some characters alright (who can also play)

Med couldn't serve out to take the 2nd set to level things up.

Crucial part of the match now at 5-5

Medvedev is gone now I think @ 2 zip down

Strange set - Medvedev should have taken it, even in the tie-break. Some bad decisions on shot choice and execution

Although Thiem looks like he has some problem with his toes / feet

Djokovic would have easily taken the title really

Surprised Medvedev didn't even win a set, I wonder did he get too distracted by that stuff with the referee in the first set.

Anyway, this should be Thiem's to lose now, don't think Zverev has enough to hurt him with.

Really hoping for an Azarenka win tonight, would be great to see her get out of the two slam club.

Surprised Medvedev didn't even win a set, I wonder did he get too distracted by that stuff with the referee in the first set.

Anyway, this should be Thiem's to lose now, don't think Zverev has enough to hurt him with.

Really hoping for an Azarenka win tonight, would be great to see her get out of the two slam club.

Medvedev really should have taken the second set. He was unlucky on a crucial point that a ball skidded off the service box line mid-rally (not on the serve) but has to take some responsibility for bad shot choices also at times

this happened a number of times with the line-markers actually.

in Fairness to Thiem he dug his heels in at the key stages - which is what the better players can do and what the top players can do more than the others (see Djokovic in this regard, even against Fed etc)

he has made a number of GS finals now and the experience is showing and his game is strong on the hard courts, not just on clay

• Advertisement
Advertisement