Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

moonage wrote: »
    If hospitalisation and death rates remain low more and more people won't put up with mask wearing for very long.

And rightly so.

What about wearing a mask to prevent infection in the first place? And the benefit of preventing colds and flu as well by not transmitting your germs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

moonage wrote: »
    If hospitalisation and death rates remain low more and more people won't put up with mask wearing for very long.

And rightly so.

Really? I think the opposite will be the case. Mask wearing is beginning to become ingrained into society and as time goes on it will become more and more unacceptable not to be wearing one in public. The new normal you might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Really? I think the opposite will be the case. Mask wearing is beginning to become ingrained into society and as time goes on it will become more and more unacceptable not to be wearing one in public. The new normal you might say.

:) 3/10 being generous

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Graham wrote: »
    I have seen a handful of dopes with their masks tucked neatly under their noses, for some reason it's typically women who appear to be in their 40s/50s. Just a bizarre observation.

I’ve noticed this too, largely females, a strange one.

:) 3/10 being generous

Whatever rating you give my post means sweet ****all to me pal.

• Advertisement

Whatever rating you give my post means sweet ****all to me pal.

How about when this is over you find likeminded people and you can have mask camps where you can all live your masquerade at the weekends. You know like nudist camps only not nude and with masks. I'm sure it'll be great craic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mask wearing is beginning to become ingrained into society and as time goes on it will become more and more unacceptable not to be wearing one in public.

I think that's already happening.

Outside of the a few that talk a good game, the reality on the streets is the overwhelming majority are now wearing masks.

How about when this is over you find likeminded people and you can have mask camps where you can all live your masquerade at the weekends. You know like nudist camps only not nude and with masks. I'm sure it'll be great craic.

Sounds brilliant right enough. Bring it on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I had to get the bus today and pop into a few shops. Mask on, mask off, mask on, mask off. I am giving them until Halloween before I stop complying. They are not masking me for winter flu season.

You want to actually catch the flu? Why is that?

And then if you do happen to catch it you actively want to continue spreading it to others?

Graham wrote: »
    I think that's already happening.

Outside of the a few that talk a good game, the reality on the streets is the overwhelming majority are now wearing masks.

We have scared the people into submission with half truths and fear mongering. Something to be really proud of for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

We have scared the people into submission with half truths and fear mongering. Something to be really proud of for sure.
    People in Hong Kong wear masks. They have before this pandemic (SARS being a big contributor previously). It's the normal thing to do when you're sick; wear a mask to cut down on the chance that you infect anybody else.

This is not because Hong Kong people are "compliant", which is something that was (ridiculously) said in the previous thread. The anti-government protests over the past year alone should show that. Hong Kong people value freedom mightily, but the wearing of masks during a pandemic isn't something that concerns them. Oppressive national security laws, censored media, pro-CCP changes to education; these things are concerning. Making a slightly sacrifice to wear a mask during a pandemic is not the same. Being a part of the culture in HK OUTSIDE of the pandemic isn't the same.

Why would it be so awful if sick people in Ireland wore masks in the future?

Nothing let them wear masks if they wish.

Which is not the same as making them mandatory based on sketchy circumstantial 'evidence'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

People in Hong Kong wear masks. They have before this pandemic (SARS being a big contributor previously). It's the normal thing to do when you're sick; wear a mask to cut down on the chance that you infect anybody else.
    im pretty sure the majority wear them due to the pollution, hence wearing them before SARS.

dont get me wrong, i have nothing against wearing a mask for the time being, but i sure as **** wont be wearing one the rest of my life, cant wear my glasses if i know im going shops, constantly in contact lenses and thats not great for the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

I really really do fear for our society...
    When you see people indoctrinated to this level after a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

copeyhagen wrote: »
    im pretty sure the majority wear them due to the pollution, hence wearing them before SARS.

dont get me wrong, i have nothing against wearing a mask for the time being, but i sure as **** wont be wearing one the rest of my life, cant wear my glasses if i know im going shops, constantly in contact lenses and thats not great for the eyes.
    In Hong Kong, definitely not. Very few people will wear surgical masks due to pollution, but the vast majority will wear one if they're sick, recovering or even just suspect they might be.

I just have a big issue with the line of thought by some that getting people to wear masks is a "control" thing. Or that people wearing masks after the pandemic (say, during the flu season) is somehow an awful thing that shows we're overly compliant, don't value "freedom", have been indoctrinated, etc. There's some amount of hyperbole around masks, which effectively are just a very small public health measure we're currently using to help control infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

In Hong Kong, definitely not. Very few people will wear surgical masks due to pollution, but the vast majority will wear one if they're sick, recovering or even just suspect they might be.

I just have a big issue with the line of thought by some that getting people to wear masks is a "control" thing. Or that people wearing masks after the pandemic (say, during the flu season) is somehow an awful thing that shows we're overly compliant, don't value "freedom", have been indoctrinated, etc. There's some amount of hyperbole around masks, which effectively are just a very small public health measure we're currently using to help control infection.

what i dont understand is, if the govt were serious about stopping the damn spread, why were masks not compulsory from the start of the lockdown... end of July they became compulsory, absolute madness.

Wait for more conjecture on how they wanted to save them for medical staff. In which case they could have just advised to wear a scarf or a snood or a hanky or a self made mask or something. But sure if there is a chance it may save one live we should all put a bucket on our head too.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    what i dont understand is, if the govt were serious about stopping the damn spread, why were masks not compulsory from the start of the lockdown... end of July they became compulsory, absolute madness.

But but but - The advice changed and studies proved and reduced viral load ....

Not one person ever heard of viral load until masks became mandatory

It’s a farce the studies can be made to show whatever results you want them to show.

If there was a shortage of masks in the morning for frontline staff you would never hear about viral load again.

You can’t be a bit pregnant.
    Somehow a mask makes you get a smaller infection of COVID-19?

You either get covid or you don’t

But it’s to stop you spreading it to others -
    That’s like the current advice from NPHET
    Assume everyone you meet has the virus assume you have the virus.

Did you ever hear such rubbish.

Unbelievable stuff that’s being rammed into people’s heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I follow guidelines & wear face covering if in shops, filling station, restaurant etc. I'm autistic & I'm not comfortable with them. I find a large bandana not as uncomfortable. I use prepay filling station with no human contact to avoid using a mask but I follow guidelines.

My own personal difficulties aside here's my real concern with a lot of mask wearers, Social distancing seems to be a thing of the past with a lot of them. In March to June while driving I'd see people a full car length or more away from each other talking on the street. They looked really odd talking so far apart. You rarely see this now. Many are so close that I have seen them tip of the others arm as the laugh.

I work in peoples bathrooms repairing showers. March to June I would phone as I pulled up outside. They opened the front door & stepped well back or retreated into kitchen or sitting room. I went upstairs, opened bathroom window & did my work. No one was allowed to roam around the house as I worked.When I came downstairs & payment was waiting on hall table or was transfered & I would leave the invoice. No Contact. Now they no longer step back to give me space to enter. Many go up the stairs, into the bathroom & point to the shower. As if I wouldn't find the shower on the wall myself. They continue to point Expecting me to follow them into the bathroom. Many want to stand there watching or chatting to me. I now have to ask people to give me some space. I try to close the bathroom door so they won't come in. I have been asked to wait in the hall as hubby is in the An Suite getting ready for work! I have no choice but to walk away & leave. I can't enter the an suite for 30 minutes of longer after hubby finishes. Most an suits have no window & take a long time to refresh the air.

We are doomed here in Dublin. Number will continue to climb. Mask wearing is a facade in some ways. It's for show for our friends & neighbors. The vast majority of Dublin people aren't practicing any form of social distancing in their own home when guests or even tradesmen are in their home. Personally I think masks can be dangerous for a lot of people. Some don't wear them correctly & a lot of the ones that do wear them seem top think a mask makes them bullet proof & they ignore social distancing.

One last observation. I've talked about this with my wife a lot over the last few months & I can't figure out an answer. A lot of people like myself wear masks to comply with the law/regulations. I'm not a fan of them myself & I question how effective they are (People in Wohan wore masks before the outbreak yet it still took hold.) I estimate that at least 25 percent of people believe in masks as this many wore them from the start. On entering customers homes I find only 1 or 2 percent wearing masks letting a stranger in their home. My question is why aren't the 25 percent of dogged mask wearing people, wearing masks when I call & why are at least 25 percent giving me space to work? This is genuine question. I'm not having a pop at mask wearing people but this has puzzled me for months now. We all look like complaint citizens but behind closed doors we are not practicing social distancing. Dublin is doomed if we don't make changes in our own homes

• But but but - The advice changed and studies proved and reduced viral load ....

It’s a farce the studies can be made to show whatever results you want them to show.

If there was a shortage of masks in the morning for frontline staff you would never hear about viral load again.

Where did you hear/read that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

:). Its worse than a Liverpool United match thread in here and thats saying something. Similar intellect too.

You mean lots of poncy players falling over shouting I've been fouled, I have rights, book him, English soccer, give me a hurley any day ffs and a mask.

Where did you hear/read that?

That’s the big one from the pro maskers

Reduction of viral load somehow gives you a less severe case of covid.

• That’s the big one from the pro maskers

Reduction of viral load somehow gives you a less severe case of covid.

No, the big one is that it reduces your chances of catching/spreading the virus.

No, the big one is that it reduces your chances of catching/spreading the virus.

Only since July though.

You forgot that bit.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's as if you study something and learn more about it.

That actually sounds rather sensible now I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Only since July though.

You forgot that bit.....

You do know that before the 1500s it was believed the sun revolved around the earth yes?

We now know better ...

I believe you will also find lots of research with regard to "viral load" pre 2020.

Whats the difference now I hear you ask?

Small thing called a novel coronavirus....

Just wear a mask....

Ignorance isn't bliss...

Most children can generally be taught anything by adults, both good or bad. They can learn to wear masks, even at quite a young age. In fact kids can find wearing a mask quite good fun if it's presented to them that way. Recently I saw a mother and her two under 5 children who were Corte fly putting on their own little masks as they stepped out of the car. Obviously Mum had put the effort in to teach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I follow guidelines & wear face covering if in shops, filling station, restaurant etc. I'm autistic & I'm not comfortable with them. I find a large bandana not as uncomfortable. I use prepay filling station with no human contact to avoid using a mask but I follow guidelines.

My own personal difficulties aside here's my real concern with a lot of mask wearers, Social distancing seems to be a thing of the past with a lot of them. In March to June while driving I'd see people a full car length or more away from each other talking on the street. They looked really odd talking so far apart. You rarely see this now. Many are so close that I have seen them tip of the others arm as the laugh.

I work in peoples bathrooms repairing showers. March to June I would phone as I pulled up outside. They opened the front door & stepped well back or retreated into kitchen or sitting room. I went upstairs, opened bathroom window & did my work. No one was allowed to roam around the house as I worked.When I came downstairs & payment was waiting on hall table or was transfered & I would leave the invoice. No Contact. Now they no longer step back to give me space to enter. Many go up the stairs, into the bathroom & point to the shower. As if I wouldn't find the shower on the wall myself. They continue to point Expecting me to follow them into the bathroom. Many want to stand there watching or chatting to me. I now have to ask people to give me some space. I try to close the bathroom door so they won't come in. I have been asked to wait in the hall as hubby is in the An Suite getting ready for work! I have no choice but to walk away & leave. I can't enter the an suite for 30 minutes of longer after hubby finishes. Most an suits have no window & take a long time to refresh the air.

We are doomed here in Dublin. Number will continue to climb. Mask wearing is a facade in some ways. It's for show for our friends & neighbors. The vast majority of Dublin people aren't practicing any form of social distancing in their own home when guests or even tradesmen are in their home. Personally I think masks can be dangerous for a lot of people. Some don't wear them correctly & a lot of the ones that do wear them seem top think a mask makes them bullet proof & they ignore social distancing.

One last observation. I've talked about this with my wife a lot over the last few months & I can't figure out an answer. A lot of people like myself wear masks to comply with the law/regulations. I'm not a fan of them myself & I question how effective they are (People in Wohan wore masks before the outbreak yet it still took hold.) I estimate that at least 25 percent of people believe in masks as this many wore them from the start. On entering customers homes I find only 1 or 2 percent wearing masks letting a stranger in their home. My question is why aren't the 25 percent of dogged mask wearing people, wearing masks when I call & why are at least 25 percent giving me space to work? This is genuine question. I'm not having a pop at mask wearing people but this has puzzled me for months now. We all look like complaint citizens but behind closed doors we are not practicing social distancing. Dublin is doomed if we don't make changes in our own homes

Seemed quite reasonable and level headed until i hit the bold part. Stopped reading once i saw that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Seemed quite reasonable and level headed until i hit the bold part. Stopped reading once i saw that nonsense.

I'm in 20 to 30 homes per week. I can assure you that Dublin is fecked if we don't change our attitude. The mask debate is pointless compared to how people are behaving when at home. Doomed I says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Of course you're either pregnant or you're not. However the analogy with viral load is incorrect. You most certainly can have degrees of viral load, as evidence in nursing homes and among healthcare workers has shown.

Advertisement