Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

3xh wrote: »
    Awhh. Another catch-all label used by someone ‘on the other side’ to make themselves feel better.

Can't say I have, or ever have had any problems with the way I feel about myself 3xh, but thanks for your concern anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When is it ok to start using masko-phobes?
    It seems to be a hatred of them, and pretty irrational as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭moonage

Graham wrote: »
    I've heard the term 'spreaders' used recently.

I've heard the more ardent pro-maskers called bullsh1t spreaders.

moonage wrote: »
    I've heard the more ardent pro-maskers called bullsh1t spreaders.

You've been back at those youtube channels again haven't you..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

sabat wrote: »
    So you believe there's a deadly virus running free that poses an immediate threat to your life and you're walking around in public?
    Not if I can help it, but I still go over to family members who are cocooning. I pop into the petrol station because otherwise I wouldn't be able to fuel up my car. I can't think of a workaround but by all means throw out a suggestion if you have one. It's a low-risk activity.
    And that those poxy masks are sufficient to protect you?
    The masks worn by medical professionals are likely good enough to protect me for thirty seconds if everyone else wears one, socially distances and is conscious of behaving correctly when they have symptoms. I go at off-peak times.
    That doesn't really tally does it? Why aren't you wearing a hazmat suit or staying indoors in a plastic bubble?
    Like, I don't know what you want me to respond to this. Do you want me to actually explain why a person wouldn't do that?
    I know you think your post is some "voice of reason" plea for the common good, but it's not. You're a cowardly little fascist getting a buzz from being part of the mob vilifying dissenters. This is your real message:
    I note how you left out the part where I said that it's not going to be forever. As has been noted many times, people wore masks, socially distanced and self-quarantined during Spanish flu as well but we clearly haven't assimilated it into our culture. I'm not vilifying dissenters, I'm just trying to convey why I personally really appreciate people who can see my perspective and are willing to take the time and effort to consider the outcomes for people who are high risk. Other than calling me a fascist you haven't really given any insight as to your personal existential burden. Did a mask molest you or something?
    This is just the same 'theatre of fear' nonsense as making 80 year old Irish pensioners take off their shoes in airports.
    I mean, I'm not in favour of this happening, so I guess we agree..?
    I know I'll get a ban for this post, but enough is enough.
    Not edgy enough, tough luck bud.
    This has been bollocks for at least four months now. Where were the masks in April, May and June?
    Likely the demand for masks would have been too great and most cases were in healthcare settings back then, so they were being kept for healthcare professionals who needed them more. They would have been directly in contact with covid patients in many cases, which is why NPHET gave that recommendation; to prevent supplies from running out. Simple as that I'd say, but it ended up being a damaging message because they lost a huge amount of public trust for intentionally misleading people.

When they introduced face coverings, nobody was really using medical masks. Now that there are more cases in the community there's a higher risk of catching covid. Everyone has proper masks now because it's easy to get them. I bought a pack of 50 back in January when I read about covid first because I have respiratory issues. I did the same during SARS as well but never needed to use them.
    Go ahead and call me names or question my intelligence-remember the 80% of Americans who believed Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11? That's who you mask fascists are. Programmed credulous suckers.
    I just wanted to quote this bit for posterity.

• Advertisement

Of course people are going to be judged.

If someone goes running around the M50 because they think road-safety is a government conspiracy, you're probably going to think 'what a pillock'.

If the traffic-dodger then tells you they watched a Youtube video and read a Facebook post saying traffic was mostly harmless, you're likely to think 'what a really big pillock'.

As analogies goes, this is is one of the silliest I've heard.

Comparing not wearing a mask to running around on a motorway?

"More Than a Dozen Credible Medical Studies Prove Face Masks Do Not Work Even In Hospitals!"
    It would appear that minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all and that wearing a mask during surgery “is a standard procedure that could be abandoned.”
    But to my surprise the medical literature for the past forty-five years has been consistent: masks are useless in preventing the spread of disease and, if anything, are unsanitary objects that themselves spread bacteria and viruses.

https://visionlaunch.com/more-than-a-dozen-credible-medical-studies-prove-face-masks-do-not-work-even-in-hospitals/

The study is about wearing a masks and their impact on wound infections during surgery. In the case of covid and other respiratory viruses, viral particles need to enter the mouth or nose or through a membrane which will bring it to the respiratory system like the eyes, so it's not possible to infect somebody through a wound.

More Than a Dozen Credible Medical Studies.....

from the 'publication' that also brings you

The 1958 ‘Psychological Warfare’ Plan Playing Out Before Us
    Press in His Pocket: Bill Gates Buys Media to Control the Messaging
    Plandemic Part 2 – Indoctrination World Premiere
    You won't believe you can save up-to 50% on tin-foil hats*

:rolleyes:

(ok, I made the last one up)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

"More Than a Dozen Credible Medical Studies Prove Face Masks Do Not Work Even In Hospitals!"

https://visionlaunch.com/more-than-a-dozen-credible-medical-studies-prove-face-masks-do-not-work-even-in-hospitals/

visionlaunch.c0m

From the creators of such titles such as:

"Plandemic – A Must-See Micro-Doc About The Medical Mafia & Dr. Fauci"

"Coronavirus is the New ‘Terrorism’"

"Press in His Pocket: Bill Gates Buys Media to Control the Messaging"

Maybe you would feel more at home in the CT forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

I see the point raised of where were the masks earlier on in this and I can remember agreeing with the reasoning that they should be left for the health care sector but it has galled a bit to have the who/govt say they're not any help to the general public initially then when seemingly all else failed, they change tact and make them mandatory in certain settings.

It gave me a sense of we haven't a clue what we're doing but we'll struggle on and the public will never realise.

Sure, if you only look at the mask situation, then it might not make much sense. But there was the bit where everything except supermarkets were closed, and you were not supposed to travel anywhere. Public transport had very limited seating, so generally you wouldn't be very close to another passenger.

Then a lot of the restrictions were lifted, people started moving about, and you'd be in contact with a lot more people in public spaces. And the mask recommendations changed to reflect the new situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

s1ippy wrote: »
    long post.

Still doesn't tally. If a virus like ebola that has a high chance of killing me was running wild I wouldn't be going outside for any reason. If you're genuinely worried buy a protective suit with an oxygen supply-problem solved. But you won't do that even though it 100% guarantees you won't catch anything. Why's that? Because it's ridiculous and impractical, not for any rigidly scientific reason. You've triangulated to your own version of reality where government and media spin, your own neuroses, and the real world itself meet to form a static equilibrium of control.
    You're frightened so you lash out at people who you perceive as being a threat to your safety bubble.

Do you have the exact figure of how much everyone else in the country wearing a mask reduces your odds of catching it? No you don't. Because no such statistics exist, only some abstract "feeling" in your mind conjured up by a government dictat and whatever media you've consumed. Many European countries have no requirement to wear a mask in public-are their health authorities conspiracy theorists?
    The numbers are bollocks because the test is bollocks. I could select a few hundred random perfectly healthy people off the street and test them and get dozens of positives. We could end this tomorrow if everyone just refused to wear a mask or get tested, turned off all media and said "fúck you and your new normal."

If you're genuinely worried buy a protective suit with an oxygen supply-problem solved. But you won't do that even though it 100% guarantees you won't catch anything.

No need if everyone wears their masks which significantly reduces the risks.

It's not rocket science.

No need if everyone wears their masks which significantly reduces the risks.

It's not rocket science.

No but it is health science so link the study please. Specifically one that unambiguously states "significantly reduces."

No but it is health science so link the study please. Specifically one that unambiguously states "significantly reduces."

Knock yourself out:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+masks+reduce+the+spread+of+covid

Imagine a virus so deadly that you have to be tested in order to know if you have it or not.

And then everyone is forced to wear masks in order to make sure they know, are constantly reminded and won't forget just how "deadly" it is and remains.

Imagine a virus so deadly that you have to be tested in order to know if you have it

ICU, ventilators and death are fairly unambiguous.

Following your medical logic, AIDS must have been entirely harmless.

I tried it and the answer came up "No".

I tried it and the answer came up "No".

You've been back to your regular youtube channels again haven't you.

Maybe it's worth considering the overwhelming majority advice from those qualified to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I feel some sympathy for the staff in these circumstances but they could do with applying some common sense.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54096061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

You've been back to your regular youtube channels again haven't you.

Maybe it's worth considering the overwhelming majority advice from those qualified to give it.

just waiting for someone to name a quack anti-mask doctor to rebut that :pac:

Imagine a virus so deadly that you have to be tested in order to know if you have it or not.
    You have to be tested to find out if you have cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nannerbenahs

This is the best scientific and statistical analysis of the present situation in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UvF...ature=emb_logo

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: ^^ Broken Link, please fix (and test)

More people in the UK have been dying from influenza than from Covid19 since the middle of June.

Despite mask wearing, social distancing, hand sanitising, the flu death numbers are in line with the five-year average.

If these measures haven't significantly slowed down the spread of flu there's no reason to believe they've significantly slowed down the spread of Sars-Cov-2.

flu-deaths-greater-than-covid-deaths-ons-graph-aug-28th.jpg

s1ippy wrote: »
    You have to be tested to find out if you have cancer.

What a nonsensical reply. Are excruciating pain, rapid weight loss, lumps under the skin, bleeding from weird places etc "asymptomatic?"

Despite mask wearing, social distancing, hand sanitising, the flu death numbers are in line with the five-year average.

Or
    while flu deaths are running at about five times Covid-19 levels, they are markedly down on the average of the past five years. A mean of 1,394 people have died of influenza and pneumonia in the last week of July over the past five years – 50 per cent more than died this year.

That is almost certainly a reflection of how effective social distancing has been in preventing flu deaths.

What a nonsensical reply. Are excruciating pain, rapid weight loss, lumps under the skin, bleeding from weird places etc "asymptomatic?"

You're not another one of those "it's not a serious illness if it needs a test" brigade are you?

You're not another one of those "it's not a serious illness if it needs a test" brigade are you?

Othering and belittling through the use of the word "brigade." Well done.

That other poster clearly said you need a test to see if you have cancer in order to make a point about people with zero symptoms testing positive for covid.

Quite simply, many people who test positive for covid would never have known otherwise, because there's nothing wrong with them. This has been going on since the cruise ships back at the start.

People with cancer will eventually know because it is highly symptomatic-the most severe of which is death.

• Advertisement

Quite simply, many people who test positive for covid would never have known otherwise

Which does rather support the case for social distancing, hand washing and masks given that it can leave long-term side-effects or death.

Advertisement