Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

glasso wrote: »
    Life on Mars way better imo

John Simm was brilliant in it.

John Simm is brilliant in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not out until 18th but I am looking forward to Long Way Up...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I'll be gone in the dark is excellent. Two parallel stories. The story of a famous serial killer and that of the person researching him. Both really interesting and poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'll be gone in the dark is excellent. Two parallel stories. The story of a famous serial killer and that of the person researching him. Both really interesting and poignant.

watching it currently

grim but compulsive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Loving Succession just as much the second time around and it's definitely ticking the "distract me from Covid news" box with the numbers rising sharply

I was thinking when the last time I revisted a show for a full rewatch within 6 months of seeing it and I'm pretty sure it was The Thick Of It

What they both have in common is the amazing Jesse Armstrong

Episode 6 tonight. The one where it goes from a good show to a fcuking great one

340?cb=20190824182635

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

So I've watched the first 7 episodes of Boardwalk empire and I'm really not seeing it.

I can see the amazing production values, but it seems just an echo of previous gangster films. I'm not mad on the casting either, I can't buy Steve Buscemi as this ladykiller they are making him out to be at all. Not mad on the Irish girl either.

So what am I missing? Critics rave about it. The thread on Boards is very positive, I didn't want to post there because I felt I wouldn't necessarily get an objective response. Despite that, I don't know anyone IRL who has watched it.

To give a bit of context, I love the Wire (3 rewatches), BB, BCS, Sopranos (not as much as the others), The Shield so I do feel I'm in the "target audience for this".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

steve_r wrote: »
    So I've watched the first 7 episodes of Boardwalk empire and I'm really not seeing it.

I can see the amazing production values, but it seems just an echo of previous gangster films. I'm not mad on the casting either, I can't buy Steve Buscemi as this ladykiller they are making him out to be at all. Not mad on the Irish girl either.

So what am I missing? Critics rave about it. The thread on Boards is very positive, I didn't want to post there because I felt I wouldn't necessarily get an objective response. Despite that, I don't know anyone IRL who has watched it.

To give a bit of context, I love the Wire (3 rewatches), BB, BCS, Sopranos (not as much as the others), The Shield so I do feel I'm in the "target audience for this".

You're over thinking it. It's a TV show. You don't like it. There's no formula. Watch something else maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

It's prohibition America, a lot of people with little to no money, Steve Buscemi's character is in a position of power and is loaded, he'd be swimming in lady parts.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    swimming in lady parts.

Sounds like the title of a future Motley Crue album

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I enjoyed watching it at the time but I do agree that it is overrated by quite a bit and I definitely don't think it's on par with the other shows you've mentioned. It's a long time since I've seen it but I remember some of the acting to be quite hammy and none of the characters really resonated with me the way they do in other comparable prestige shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It gets worse as the seasons go by so if you don't like season 1 which was the best I'd get out now

arc of season 1-2 is great

not gonna read through thread so apologies for repeats:

bbc tinker tailor soldier spy from 1980
    state of play
    the wire
    friday night lights
    deadwood
    edge of darkness
    top of the lake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Unearthly wrote: »
    It gets worse as the seasons go by so if you don't like season 1 which was the best I'd get out now
    I enjoyed watching it at the time but I do agree that it is overrated by quite a bit and I definitely don't think it's on par with the other shows you've mentioned. It's a long time since I've seen it but I remember some of the acting to be quite hammy and none of the characters really resonated with me the way they do in other comparable prestige shows.

Cheers - yeah it's not that I hate it or anything, just not really grabbing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I liked boardwalk empire especially when Al Capone came into it.

Another one people should check out is Fargo. 3 seasons currently with a 4th due at the end of the month.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Another one people should check out is Fargo. 3 seasons currently with a 4th due at the end of the month.

Loved the first two seasons but I bailed season 3 after just a few minutes!

I should really give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Shows we've watched over the last year

Ray Donovan - Consistently very good
    Rectify - Excellent drama
    Yellowstone - Gets better and better
    Succession - See above
    Billions - Gone to sh1t, but first few season are really good
    The Morning Show - Great cast, and looking forward to season 2
    Ozark and BCS on Netflix are both pretty great too.

Going to start zero zero zero at the weekend.

After that, it's either the Sopranos or Gomorrah.
    My wife has never seen the Sopranos and i'd be glad to re-watch.
    Neither of us has seen Gomorrah, and my wife isn't keen on subtitled series.

Also, the wire, deadwood, six feet under are all amazing tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,045 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Succession - See above

I only ever seen the first series of SFU, but have never seen it listed on any service since.

Is it available on a streaming service somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

NIMAN wrote: »
    I only ever seen the first series of SFU, but have never seen it listed on any service since.

Is it available on a streaming service somewhere?

It's on sky Atlantic on demand last I seen, watched the first few episodes but they left me a bit cold.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Succession - See above

Put that right straight away: Gomorrah is really really enjoyable and one you are invested in the characters at all the episodes just zip by. Have tried watching the Sopranos a few times and it doesn’t do anything for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Recently we have watched
    Unorthodox. Worth a look into the jewish orthodox world
    Peaky Blinders still on series one, enjoying so far
    Selling Sunset. Not a typical choice for us but total escapism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've started Revenge again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭jj880

Just finished Succession season 1

The best single season of a show. A masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

jj880 wrote: »

2 is better imho, you are in for a treat

jj880 wrote: »

The general consensus is that's its just good for the first 5 episodes and from episode 6 it really starts to turn into a great show

I absolutely love Succession and I'm enjoying a current re-watch

These two together are among the best TV duos of all time ....

tenor.gif?itemid=17267549

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Succession is up there with The Wire and The Sopranos for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Succession - See above

Watch Gomorrah, you will not be disappointed, it is a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

How do I get yellowstone? Looks amazing the clips I’ve seen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

joeguevara wrote: »
    How do I get yellowstone? Looks amazing the clips I’ve seen

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/yellowstone/SI0000007060?epguid=AQ000269481

Missed out on a few episodes but saw about 20 minutes of the first episode, fairly decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Is The Newsroom worth a watch? Downloaded it some time ago but never got round to watching it. I usually like anything Sorkin is involved in.

It was clever and fast paced. Not sure how well it will have aged with the political story lines but definitely worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Started watching the thick of it on Netflix. So funny. Really good British comedy.

https://youtu.be/K_FrQnQv0Vw

Advertisement