Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

joeguevara wrote: »
    Started watching the thick of it on Netflix. So funny. Really good British comedy.

https://youtu.be/K_FrQnQv0Vw

With the current lot in power I'm not sure it's even comedy any more. More like real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

joeguevara wrote: »
    Started watching the thick of it on Netflix. So funny. Really good British comedy.

https://youtu.be/K_FrQnQv0Vw

It's the best British Comedy of all time. Even better than Fawlty Towers

You're in for a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The Social Dilemma documentary on netflix is very good! one episode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Gardeners World. Very relaxing and you learn a lot of very useful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The fall

Chernobyl

America's book of secrets

Brassic

The boys

Billions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ive mentioned before on here i think but The Deuce is up there with the Sopranos or the Wire for me,its from the same writer as The Wire.

Ive just finished watching Succession,its the best show ive seen in the last 5 years,im having withdrawals.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Ive mentioned before on here i think but The Deuce is up there with the Sopranos or the Wire for me,its from the same writer as The Wire.

Ive just finished watching Succession,its the best show ive seen in the last 5 years,im having withdrawals.

Wait a couple of months and give Succession a rewatch. It's just as good

Re: The Deuce; I found The Wire to be the most over hyped TV show of all time and bailed after one season, but might give The Deuce a whirl

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stumptown is enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I started watching 'Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy rich' on NF - wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but after 3 episodes binged in a row, I feel compelled to see it out. There's so much to it I never knew about, he was even more of a monster than I ever imagined. it's uncomfortable viewing at times and certainly not for everyone. But I prefer to know the full story rather than the brief snippets we get from mainstream media

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    2 is better imho, you are in for a treat

You are right. Its the best I've ever seen. I must look through all HBO shows in case there's another diamond I've missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

95% of lockdown has been a **** show but the other 5% was finally watching Mad Men. My favourite series I've watched thus far. May not have the exciting set pieces or action of other shows but as a study of characters over a series arc its phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

HBC08 wrote: »

Always thought the deuce was a great show...

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    95% of lockdown has been a **** show but the other 5% was finally watching Mad Men. My favourite series I've watched thus far. May not have the exciting set pieces or action of other shows but as a study of characters over a series arc its phenomenal.

Great TV. I don't get into ranking TV shows against each other as I grew out of that in primary school but it's a show I've rewatched multiple times. (Plus I can remember when we played with plastic bags over our heads and everyone smoked around children!).

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

ZeroZeroZero.

Best show I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Tom Clancys Jack Ryan..only on episode 2..American crap but an easy watch..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It's the best British Comedy of all time. Even better than Fawlty Towers

You're in for a treat

Ooh. I love the Thick of it, but better than Farty Towels ? That's some claim!

I've just started watching Two Weeks to Live on Sky. Kinda lightweight, but enjoyable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Wait a couple of months and give Succession a rewatch. It's just as good

Re: The Deuce; I found The Wire to be the most over hyped TV show of all time and bailed after one season, but might give The Deuce a whirl

It's really not. It's unbeatable in my opinion. I never expect to see another TV show as good. ( I feel the need to jump to its defence every time someone disses it :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

trashcan wrote: »

*Snigger*
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

two episodes into Succession

my kind of show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

lawred2 wrote: »
    two episodes into Succession

my kind of show

It's a fairly slow burning show, with not much happening at times, but you grow to love it. You really buy into the characters. I love it myself and can't wait for Season 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sheroman01 wrote: »
    It's a fairly slow burning show, with not much happening at times, but you grow to love it. You really buy into the characters. I love it myself and can't wait for Season 3.

Funny enough I don't think it's slow burning at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭sioda

I see misfits is now on Netflix well worth the binge even as it loses its way later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭dinneenp

sioda wrote: »
    I see misfits is now on Netflix well worth the binge even as it loses its way later on.

Great show in the beginning. As you mentioned, lost interest after a few seasons, became a farce really.

trashcan wrote: »

yes minister and yes prime minister

three fellas in a room and never bettered

• Registered Users Posts: 33,247 ✭✭✭✭Penn

dinneenp wrote: »
    Great show in the beginning. As you mentioned, lost interest after a few seasons, became a farce really.

Yeah I've recommended it to a few people but always tell them to just stop at the end of Series 3. After that it just completely loses its way.

Went back to watch Succession after all the love on this thread. It's watchable but it's basically a big budget soap opera. Some of the characters are so stupid they'd fit in well in The Thick of It. But it's not funny.

Went back to watch Succession

But it's not funny.

source.gif

Watched that Messiah there a while ago [mainly because Michelle Monaghan is in it, something brilliant about her can never put my finger on] it is very well made! It is a modern day account of the philosophical argument about whether or not Jesus did exists and the belief or disbelief you would be faced with if in fact it all would be true.

There is no preaching or anything in it, perhaps subtle if so, just the modern account of society being faced with what the bible shows as miracles... Anyway there is only 1 season as Netflix is not renewing it due to travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

How The Soprano's wasn't mentioned at all baffles me.. Maybe its an unwritten rule everyone has to watch it.. But anyways, these are quite good

Catastrophe
    True Detective (Season 1)
    Sneaky Pete
    Atypical
    Feel Good
    Freaks and Geeks
    Silicon Valley
    Barry
    Dirty John
    Band of Brothers
    Dexter
    Fyre
    House of Cards
    Waco
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    Calcification

• Advertisement

How The Soprano's wasn't mentioned at all baffles me.. Maybe its an unwritten rule everyone has to watch it.. But anyways, these are quite good

The Soprano's is mentioned several times in this thread!

Advertisement