Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/02/politics/georgia-voter-rolls-report/index.html

313,243 voters purged from Georgia rolls for having changed address and no longer living at registered address. Bit of analysis suggests 198k were wrongly removed.

Probably the right time to remind people that this is Georgia's governor, who as Secretary of State (and when running for said governorship) purged a further 340,000 from the voter rolls, and then when Governor killed the state investigation into this.

The SOS who took his place is also a hardcore Trumper it would appear. Trump has a narrow 1.4% lead on Georgia right now but it doesn't matter, that state is completely lost as republicans aren't really even trying to pretend there will be fair elections there.

Probably the right time to remind people that this is Georgia's governor, who as Secretary of State (and when running for said governorship) purged a further 340,000 from the voter rolls, and then when Governor killed the state investigation into this.

The SOS who took his place is also a hardcore Trumper it would appear. Trump has a narrow 1.4% lead on Georgia right now but it doesn't matter, that state is completely lost as republicans aren't really even trying to pretend there will be fair elections there.

Yup, Texas is probably unwinnable this year as well but in a fair election I'm convinced it would be a very close-run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump's got his nickname together anyway - Hidin' Biden.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

briany wrote: »

A new nickname for the Election and this as the details of what he'd like to accomplish in his second term.
    But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid, we would continue what we're doing, we'd solidify what we've done, and we have other things on our plate that we want to get done.

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well more of that from joe Biden would be good. He’s isn’t someone who seems mentally deteriorated like the turmoil crowd want you to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump yet projecting again.

Re Trump - BunkerBoy was trending for quite a while. And remind us, who has a large wall built around the White House?

Here's a hint. If you have to change the nickname from Creepy Joe, to Sleepy Joe, to Hidin' Biden, maybe your strategy of "schoolyard wit" isn't quite hitting the mark.

Biden is giving a press conference. He was asked a question on QAnon supporters. This was his response;

"I've been a big supporter of mental health. I'd recommend people who believe it should take advantage of it while it still exists under the Affordable Care Act."

everlast75 wrote: »
    "I've been a big supporter of mental health. I'd recommend people who believe it should take advantage of it while it still exists under the Affordable Care Act."

QAnon's basically what you get when you have a generation of people who get all their news off of social media where there is no journalistic oversight. But they'll believe it because it confirms their biases.

These are people who have lost or discarded the ability to differentiate between information and entertainment because they're having too good a time listening to any old yarn that takes their fancy.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    A new nickname for the Election and this as the details of what he'd like to accomplish in his second term...

Quote:
    But so I think, I think it would be, I think it would be very, very, I think we'd have a very, very solid, we would continue what we're doing, we'd solidify what we've done, and we have other things on our plate that we want to get done.

Awesome.

He's been a long time in getting there, but to be totally fair to Trump, he has finally put out something resembling a list of 2nd term aims.

JOBS

Create 10 Million New Jobs in 10 Months
    Create 1 Million New Small Businesses
    Cut Taxes to Boost Take-Home Pay and Keep Jobs in America
    Enact Fair Trade Deals that Protect American Jobs
    "Made in America" Tax Credits
    Expand Opportunity Zones
    Continue Deregulatory Agenda for Energy Independence

ERADICATE COVID-19

Develop a Vaccine by The End Of 2020
    Return to Normal in 2021
    Make All Critical Medicines and Supplies for Healthcare Workers in The United States
    Refill Stockpiles and Prepare for Future Pandemics

END OUR RELIANCE ON CHINA

Bring Back 1 Million Manufacturing Jobs from China
    Tax Credits for Companies that Bring Back Jobs from China
    Allow 100% Expensing Deductions for Essential Industries like Pharmaceuticals and Robotics who Bring Back their Manufacturing to the United States
    No Federal Contracts for Companies who Outsource to China
    Hold China Fully Accountable for Allowing the Virus to Spread around the World
    HEALTHCARE

Cut Prescription Drug Prices
    Put Patients and Doctors Back in Charge of our Healthcare System
    Lower Healthcare Insurance Premiums
    End Surprise Billing
    Cover All Pre-Existing Conditions
    Protect Social Security and Medicare
    Protect Our Veterans and Provide World-Class Healthcare and Services

EDUCATION

Provide School Choice to Every Child in America
    Teach American Exceptionalism

DRAIN THE SWAMP

Pass Congressional Term Limits
    End Bureaucratic Government Bullying of U.S. Citizens and Small Businesses
    Expose Washington’s Money Trail and Delegate Powers Back to People and States
    Drain the Globalist Swamp by Taking on International Organizations That Hurt American Citizens

DEFEND OUR POLICE

Fully Fund and Hire More Police and Law Enforcement Officers
    Increase Criminal Penalties for Assaults on Law Enforcement Officers
    Prosecute Drive-By Shootings as Acts of Domestic Terrorism
    Bring Violent Extremist Groups Like ANTIFA to Justice
    End Cashless Bail and Keep Dangerous Criminals Locked Up until Trial

END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS

Block Illegal Immigrants from Becoming Eligible for Taxpayer-Funded Welfare, Healthcare, and Free College Tuition
    Mandatory Deportation for Non-Citizen Gang Members
    Dismantle Human Trafficking Networks
    End Sanctuary Cities to Restore our Neighborhoods and Protect our Families
    Prohibit American Companies from Replacing United States Citizens with Lower-Cost Foreign Workers
    Require New Immigrants to Be Able to Support Themselves Financially

INNOVATE FOR THE FUTURE

Launch Space Force, Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon and Send the First Manned Mission to Mars
    Build the World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
    Win the Race to 5G and Establish a National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network
    Continue to Lead the World in Access to the Cleanest Drinking Water and Cleanest Air
    Partner with Other Nations to Clean Up our Planet’s Oceans

AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY

Stop Endless Wars and Bring Our Troops Home
    Get Allies to Pay their Fair Share
    Maintain and Expand America’s Unrivaled Military Strength
    Wipe Out Global Terrorists Who Threaten to Harm Americans
    Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System

DEFEND AMERICAN VALUES

Continue nominating constitutionalist Supreme Court and lower court judges
    Protect unborn life through every means available
    Defend the freedoms of religious believers and organizations
    Support the exercise of Second Amendment rights

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Love that...end dependence on China. He came in on a promise to get rid of the trade deficit. Almost 4 years later and that deficit has gotten worse with the worst month on record for goods deficit as far as I know in he latest numbers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/02/politics/georgia-voter-rolls-report/index.html

313,243 voters purged from Georgia rolls for having changed address and no longer living at registered address. Bit of analysis suggests 198k were wrongly removed.
    You can argue about people not sending back the form and how likely they were to vote. But it's in the magnitude that could affect the result.

4% of all registered voters in the state removed. Clinton lost Georgia by 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They have a massive fight on their hands in Georgia no doubt.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The only thing is that, if the Dems do badly in GA, it'll mean no change in either the Senate or WH. If, however, Reps do badly enough, either or both switches from GOP to DEM would be YUUUGE!

So, GA is worth the fight for the Dems- absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain... For the Reps, it's everything to lose and nothing to gain... Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The only thing is that, if the Dems do badly in GA, it'll mean no change in either the Senate or WH. If, however, Reps do badly enough, either or both switches from GOP to DEM would be YUUUGE! And I don't see anyone figuring GA as being one of the swing states currently..

So, GA is worth the fight for the Dems- absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain... For the Reps, it's everything to lose and nothing to gain... Sweet!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

da_miser wrote: »
    he is a disaster every time he goes of script, he is even messing up reading of a teleprompter.

https://youtu.be/Cr4wosNO1oo

I agree, total disaster.

If you think Trump will eat Biden alive you have another thing coming. Biden is one of the best in the business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please do not just paste links here. Post deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Faugheen wrote: »
    If you think Trump will eat Biden alive you have another thing coming. Biden is one of the best in the business.

Trump will just come out with bile and bluster, and presume that Biden will just stand there trying to look dignified while Trump does his thing. Then, while Biden is speaking, Trump will attempt to cut across, interject and land a "....'cause you'd be in jail!" type zinger. That's about the totality of Trump's debate strategy in my opinion. Certainly, he's not changed his rhetoric much in the last 3 and a half years to suggest that he'll come to speak calmly.

So Biden will have to be prepared to give a bit back and stand up to the bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump team have already complained about the choice of moderators. For the first debate, I presume.

All Biden has to do is ask him over and over why he hates us military and why is he so weak on Putin.

Trump wouldn't answer that. He'd just respond with "Why do you hate the police and why are you so weak on ANTIFA?"

The military is held in reverence, that can not be said for police.

I had thought that myself, but Trump openly shat on the institution of the U.S. military twice (belittling McCain's status as a war hero, and giving no respect to the gold star parents who spoke at the DNC), and he still became president.

Trump's past trying to appeal to the broad electorate anyway, so normal rules don't really apply. He's just trying to rile up his base who appear to hold no higher reverence than for Trump himself, and stoke FUD in the rest of the population about the street violence, as well as laying groundwork for the idea that losing the election would be the result of a rigged count or voting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I had thought that myself, but Trump openly shat on the institution of the U.S. military twice (belittling McCain's status as a war hero, and giving no respect to the gold star parents who spoke at the DNC), and he still became president.

Their is a sizeable percentage of normal Americans who loath these forever wars so weren't clutching their pearls when Trump taunted that war monger Mc Cain.

Depressingly though looking at all the neo-cons who have lined up behind Biden who is anything but a dove, it will be business as usual overseas, although like with Obama nobody will give a ****.

That's one of Trump's greatest mistakes, he could have done something astounding and brought troops home, but he didn't really because he surrounded himself by Bush also rans and was scared Maddow would scream PUTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN @!!!!!! at him.

I think we will probably have to wait best case scenario 2024 for an American president who is not a hawk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Their is a sizeable percentage of normal Americans who loath these forever wars so weren't clutching their pearls when Trump taunted that war monger Mc Cain.

Depressingly though looking at all the neo-cons who have lined up behind Biden who is anything but a dove, it will be business as usual overseas, although like with Obama nobody will give a ****.

That's one of Trump's greatest mistakes, he could have done something astounding and brought troops home, but he didn't really because he surrounded himself by Bush also rans and was scared Maddow would scream PUTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN @!!!!!! at him.

I think we will probably have to wait best case scenario 2024 for an American president who is not a hawk.

Its completely inaccurate to say nobody cared re Obama. Obama was constantly criticised for drone usage yet we hear nothing about it now despite huge increase under Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This makes no sense to me.

Firstly, he did what he wanted on the world stage, be damned to any "advisers". If it was in his own interest, then he did it. That self interest determined and continues to determine his foreign policy.

And frankly, I have no clue why he would give two ***** as to what "Maddow would scream"?:confused:

I accept that America is far too concerned with waging war, but we got this BS re Clinton being a war monger as a reason to vote trump, and frankly, things are a ****ing mess right now, so I do not expect that things are better on the world stage because people didn't vote for her, nor am I buying any criticism of Biden until after this abomination has been hurled from the White House.

Trump wasn't mocking McCain for being a hawk, he was poo-pooing McCain's tribulations in the Vietnam war. I doubt any Trump supporters were going, "Haha! That'll show that war monger McCain!", I think it much more likely they have greater priorities than decency, and that whatever comes out of Trump must be good.... so long as Trump keeps on about building the wall and protecting the guns.

As for US presidents promising to bring the troops home - Eisenhower seemed to be right when he warned of the military-industrial complex gaining too much influence. That appears to have come to fruition, and where troops are brought home, they will just be sent out to elsewhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Ok folks, as the primaries are now over and the election proper is heating up, the former "Beating/Losing to Trump in 2020" Thread is now the official US Presidential Election 2020 Thread.

Remember there are other elections going on too with the Representatives and Senate. If anyone wants to discuss these, they can be done in a separate thread.

All the usual rules still apply - keep it country, no link dumps, no personal abuse, soapboxing or trolling etc. Try to keep the one liners to a minimum, and if, for example, you are commenting live on a debate, please post the context of your comment e.g.:
    If elected I will give tax breaks to elderly people

An interesting policy by Trump

Has context.
    OMG Trump just wiped the floor with Sleepy Joe

Does not.

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

After taking a bit of a battering last week, Biden has bounced back with a bunch of +10 national polls and is leading at about an average of 4 points in all swing states apart from Iowa, Ohio and Texas where Trump leads each by about 1 point.

Given that the % of undecideds is now about 5% (Clinton was at about 16% at this stage), Biden's lead seems big enough to overcome various GOP vote suppression tactics, and the 'shy trump' voter theory, if real, seems not to amount to a lot of voters, the question is:

As time runs out and Trump becomes more desperate, what can he do to shift such a large amount of voters before November?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

droidus wrote: »

As time runs out and Trump becomes more desperate, what can he do to shift such a large amount of voters before November?

Nothing. We've been discussing for over a year here how there aren't any undecideds left. So.he'll have to cheat. Poll watchers. Voter roll shenanigans. All backed up by Barr.

On a lighter note, I wish I had a lawn to put this on:

EhQQ_uoXsAEJL0r?format=jpg&name=small

Well, there's always the possibility he'll start a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres always the inevitable October surprise, Id expect something to come out about Hunter & Ukraine (whether true or not) in the last 3 days before polling. Its hard to see anything major coming out about Joe himself, he seems to be a known quantity in that regard. Presumably he has already been super vetted by the Obama admin before he was selected for VP in 2008 and vetted by the DNC again when contesting the primaries. I get the feeling Bidens transgressions are all public already and theres nothing left in the closet. That still wont prevent Trump making stuff up though.

Trump on the other hand is the more likely to be a victim of the October surprise.He has a four year track record in the White House and during that time he has sacked almost 20 of his own inner circle so you would expect more detail of what was going on in the Oval Office to emerge. I'd expect more details of his dealings with Putin or other foreign leaders to come out in the final days of the election campaign.

Yup. The curious thing about the Belleau woods scandal is that it happened in 2018 and only came out now. They sat on the story for 2 years, which, to me, indicates that people have been waiting until it could do the most damage.

Hopefully there'll be more where that came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

droidus wrote: »
    Yup. The curious thing about the Belleau woods scandal is that it happened in 2018 and only came out now. They sat on the story for 2 years, which, to me, indicates that people have been waiting until it could do the most damage.

Hopefully there'll be more where that came from.

The battle of Belleau Woods happened in 1918 so 2018 was the anniversary, at which Trump failed to go to the ceremony for frivolous reasons. It was not 'sat on' it was reported at the time, but with the 'Drama a Day' of Trump's tenure as President it just got lost under the mountain of other stuff. It was recalled as one of the many times Trump disrespected the military.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement