Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020 :Round 8 Monza

191011121315»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Coulthard claiming F1 shot itself in the foot with Hamilton's penalty because how would the driver or team know ......

Funny how every other team (other then Alpha) knew not to pit. i watched it and couldnt understand why Sainz didnt pit straight away when it came out, but he, like everyone else (execpt for giovinancci) knew the pitlane was closed.

Also, I loved when Hamilton went full on karen, and compalined to the stewards DURING the race.

Just another reason to hate him. Until he's racing in a williams or a hass, he's always going to come across as spoilt and whingy.

Genuinely feel sad for vettle. 4 time world champ reduced to racing for this husk of a former great team.

thank you for reading my TED Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Did I hear correct that Hamilton figured he could best the rest by 5 seconds of he waited until the second lap to do the penalty instead of immediately after the SC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No he said he could pull a 5 second gap after 3 laps.

Which he did at the begining of the race. But it didn't matter as James said he would come out in fresh air when ever he pitted so it didn't matter.

afatbollix wrote: »
    No he said he could pull a 5 second gap after 3 laps.

Which he did at the begining of the race. But it didn't matter as James said he would come out in fresh air when ever he pitted so it didn't matter.

Ah, cheers for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bottas had floor damage if I recall after murdering the kerbs on the way to the grid. That's why it felt like he had a puncture at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ocon wasn't playing cute and tried to hang the team yesterday:

https://twitter.com/chris1701D/status/1302665845110460419?s=19

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,298 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wow. Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1302954663889776640

Don't you love the Banter?

Did you see the overtake?
    No he was in my rear mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Joeface wrote: »
    He did pass 10 cars getting to 7th , but I did not see it as been as easy as what Mercedes normally get. Even looking at the over take on Russell highlights it , He had DRS against the Williams and it actually looks laboured , He is faster but I expected it to be more. Mercedes were saying he would make to P6 and Normally that would be a given , but with out the other engine modes and Been stuck behind cars . It really did hamper him. A lot of off racing line driving to cool off the engine . Mercedes had to do that more than any other Team as far as I could see in the cooling off , or maybe TV just showed that for the Drama.

Bottas cannot afford another bad start , he just got swallowed up and really struggled against the straight line speed of the Renault powered cars Was enough to keep him at bay.

Did you listen to the build up?
    It was specifically reported that the mercs were down on top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ocon wasn't playing cute and tried to hang the team yesterday:

https://twitter.com/chris1701D/status/1302665845110460419?s=19

That’s ****in brilliant.

He should have kept saying it like it was. I’d say the engineer would have eventually gone SHUUUTT UP!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

That’s ****in brilliant.

He should have kept saying it like it was. I’d say the engineer would have eventually gone SHUUUTT UP!!!!!!!

So was he highlighting something they knew was going to happen from the start and didnt bother mitigating against or was it a decision made or not made during the race?

Is there more info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

vectra wrote: »
    Did you listen to the build up?
    It was specifically reported that the mercs were down on top speed.

I did listen to build up, mercs were down on their top speed didn't mean they were slower than everyone else , Their issue was more to do with the car not been good in traffic and it hampered its performance .

Race Maximum Speeds:

https://external-preview.redd.it/ifOKpTIsBiXBLmZMKYiYqz_cf5wTgn9EGdLNKxrgVwA.jpg?auto=webp&a9352252

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I introduced someone to F1 a little while back through DTS and have watched all the races with them so far. The interest was slightly waning before yesterday's race but wow, what a day. Really lived up to Murray Walker's "anything can happen in F1....and it usually does" quote that's seared into my brain from the old Playstation games!

Unbelievable drama. I have no real problem with Hamilton or the Mercs, they make an obviously great team and are excelling within the bounds of the regs laid down by the FIA. It's just a pity no-one has kept up with them. That said, it was absolutely amazing to have them both out of contention and a "real" race for the win, not just the scraps in the mid-table.

It was also excellent to see Hamilton having to make up places, it was actually unusual for him to get so much screen time. The post-race excitement was palpable.

All in, yesterday should be a lesson to the FIA of what kind of genie they need to bottle, somehow. Unexpected results, high tension all the way to the line and real emotion on display atop the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hijpo wrote: »
    So was he highlighting something they knew was going to happen from the start and didnt bother mitigating against or was it a decision made or not made during the race?

No sure but Renault really didn’t want it being talked about publicly that’s for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That’s ****in brilliant.

It should have just said but this is my work office and I want to say what I think we should have done now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Did I hear correct that Hamilton figured he could best the rest by 5 seconds of he waited until the second lap to do the penalty instead of immediately after the SC?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Apparently Renault did not have a set of medium tires in warmers ready for the re-start and thus had to send him out on softs after the red flag, cos he'd have crashed or had no pace for the first 2 laps on stone cold mediums. Obviously the softs dropped off in performance a lot quicker than correctly warmed mediums would have, inhibiting Ocon's ability to stay with the pack.

I don't know how that happens considering they seem to be stored in the warmers during a race. Some eejit must've forgotten to plug the warmers in or something.

I'm not the biggest Ocon fan, but I'd be pissed too. That's amateur hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Amazing result for Gasly.. so happy for him (would not have minded if Sainz go the result either) :) Its just as well Gasly pushed so hard to make a gap after he got the lead, otherwise Sainz would have got him. What saved him is that Sainz only got DRS (within 1 sec) for one lap.

Well done Pierre.
    Anyone think that Stroll out braking himself, going straight on at second chicane and then booting it in run off area to rejoin exactly behind the car (Alfa?) with zero loss of position is wrong? (he was behind the Alfa when he went off and came back right behind him???? They should have a slow lane rejoin for anyone that completely missing the corner.
    The party Mode ban seems to have worked, especially in the race, as if Lewis was able to crank the engine to max power party mode after his stop go, he might have got back to 3rd/4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I had Twitter spoiling the result for me yesterday. But watching the highlights on C4 made me absolutely delighted to see Pierre winning the race at Monza. It was a delightful result for him & for Alpha Tauri. Just seeing & hearing his reaction happening like being in total disbelief when he crossed the line was a magnificent feeling. He was an exceptional winner at Monza yesterday & felt like he was on Cloud 9. Well done to you Pierre for giving us this unexpected surprise. It was terrific.

I think Toto Wolff summed up the race to the guys on C4 yesterday evening to say that Pierre's win was refreshing to watch a pure motorsport fan. I have to admit in the current era of F1; he is most definitely right to say that at the current time. It's completely rare for F1 to go off the script if you're a normal long term F1 fan who would be seeing the performances of the other drivers & knowing their pre-determined outcomes already even if they haven't begun their full race.

Just imagine the feeling of last year's win by LeClerc & putting that into this year's race. To see that effect being expanded by over a year later with the win being given to Pierre Gasly. What could you have said about it if the Alpha Tauri fans were there. They could have literally screamed the lungs off themselves in the stands if they saw Gasly win in Italy for the very 1st time yesterday if we were not for the present era of Coronavirus. Could you imagine the effect that win could have had on those fans when they see Pierre cross the line at Monza on Sunday. It would have been an incredible & joyous occasion to see it happen right in front of their eyes. It would also be an unexpected confidence booster for many of the fans to preserve for their next encounter which could have been somewhere else other than in Tuscany.

A feeling like that is rare in F1 these days. It is like gold dust for anyone who religiously follows the sport for most of their lifetime. And we definitely need more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Was Norris penalised for slowing cars in the pit stop under red flag?
    It was mentioned in commentary and I think it was being examined by the stewards but no more was said 9 on C4 highlights - I don't have Sky).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No further action was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO7k-LacBYQ&ab_channel=McLaren

If I was on the side of the couch for the last few laps think of the lads in the McLaren garage!

Loving the unboxed videos by McLaren, I would love it if some more of the teams did them.

Advertisement