Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

F1 2020 :Round 8 Monza

1910111214

Comments



  • Darwin wrote: »
    Don't think anything broke on his car, it looked like he got a tank slapper on coming out of Curva Parabolica which put him into the kitty litter.

    https://twitter.com/MKavsit/status/1302656511492190215?s=19




  • McFly85 wrote: »
    Definitely. Max is the priority of the Red Bull team and any driver coming in will be playing second fiddle. The car seems to be heavily influenced by his driving style too, Albons been having real trouble with it. I think Gaslys choice would be to stay in the Alpha Tauri, which would be the correct call, looks very comfortable there.

    Given that Alonso can change up his driving style when needed it would be interesting to see how he would get on in it.




  • A pity Willians did not get any points today. Latif seemed to do better than Russel today and was not far from getting a point.




  • The marshalls appeared to be putting powder down on the track after Magnussen retired, is that an explanation for the safety car, oil on track?
    And there wasn't much room behind the barrier where he parked, was just a marshalls post and nothing more.

    Also delighted for Gasly but to be honest any of the top 4 winning would've been great.
    Bottas was shockingly bad.

    Hamilton complained as anyone else would, the call should have come from the team.
    He did nothing else worthy of disdain and drive well to get back up the pack while Bottas dithered along

    The location of the pit closed lights make sense, had they been at the entrance they'd have been too late, drivers tend towards the outside left of Parabollica so makes sense to have them there

    Fantastic race, genuine excitement and emotion watching.




  • McFly85 wrote: »
    Definitely. Max is the priority of the Red Bull team and any driver coming in will be playing second fiddle. The car seems to be heavily influenced by his driving style too, Albons been having real trouble with it. I think Gaslys choice would be to stay in the Alpha Tauri, which would be the correct call, looks very comfortable there.

    Helmut Marko said during the week that Albon gets different parts than Max. Which means Max gets the best parts, earlier, so it leaves Albon always trying to catch up. Albon has to pay second fiddle, and if you do bad, then your screwed without it actually being all your fault!


  • Advertisement


  • Hijpo wrote: »
    Given that Alonso can change up his driving style when needed it would be interesting to see how he would get on in it.

    I think Vettel or Hulkenberg would be their best choices with Alonso unavailable.

    Hulkenberg has race pace and if he can get to grips with the car he’d be a decent option, you’d reckon he’d be fine being considered a number 2.

    Vettel still has a lot of talent and I think him back in a Red Bull would at least create some decent drama :D

    I think they’ll stick with Albon for another year but but I think that seat is better suited to a more experienced driver who won’t have the pressure of trying to prove themselves.




  • I wish F1 was like this all the time.

    Delighted for Gasly, love an underdog win.

    FIA, take note, this is what we all want!




  • Hijpo wrote: »
    In the replays he seemed to be unsure about going into the pits, he slowed, motioned towards the pits, then turned out then drove in. Like as is if he knew he shouldn't but the wall said come in, that's what it looked like to me anyway. Gio probably did it because hamilton did it.

    uvipxurdajl51.png




  • uvipxurdajl51.png

    How many times has Lewis taken a safety car gift and pitted under those conditions and essentially getting a free pitstop? Today, nope.


  • Advertisement


  • Just watched the race... absolutely delighted for Gasly after everything he went through last year... he has Unquestionably been driver of the season for me this year.




  • I think Mercedes were victim of the fact that Lewis was so close to the pits when the SC was deployed and the pit was closed. Another couple of seconds and the team might have been able to react to the notice of the pit closing. I'd love to see the timings of the SC being deployed, the pit being closed and the teams being notified. Especially since he wasn't the only car caught out by it




  • Gintonious wrote: »
    I wish F1 was like this all the time.

    Delighted for Gasly, love an underdog win.

    FIA, take note, this is what we all want!

    And now we can see exactly why Mercedes objected to the reverse grid suggestion.




  • Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think Mercedes were victim of the fact that Lewis was so close to the pits when the SC was deployed and the pit was closed. Another couple of seconds and the team might have been able to react to the notice of the pit closing. I'd love to see the timings of the SC being deployed, the pit being closed and the teams being notified. Especially since he wasn't the only car caught out by it

    Was wondering why did Mercedes Hamilton and Giovanazzi mess this up, but the rest of the field saw the pitlane closure.




  • For once a great race but it could have been very different , lewis's car was just miles faster and anytime he was in front it was obvious without the mercedes cock up would have walked it .

    As someone else said any of the top four winning would have been great
    I've never seen Sainz so hungry for a win , Gasly drove brilliantly considering Sainz was chasing him down sloooowly and Stroll wasn't bad in general after the start's ! either way it was great seeing a fairly even front runners battle.
    Getting rid of the engine modes was a good step but doesn't fix the Mercedes problem yet by any means and will probably only benefit some races like this.

    Redbulls seemed to have struggled for whatever reason,along with Bottas maybe their engine setup mode for the race in general was wrong.




  • The sky lads were going on about reverse grid qualifying or something to that extent yesterday after Hamilton went to the back of the field and it was a cracking race thereafter, what exactly do they mean by that?




  • klose wrote: »
    The sky lads were going on about reverse grid qualifying or something to that extent yesterday after Hamilton went to the back of the field and it was a cracking race thereafter, what exactly do they mean by that?

    This explains it quite well. He goes through all the different types of qualifying so far and talks about reverse grid at approx 3:15





  • klose wrote: »
    The sky lads were going on about reverse grid qualifying or something to that extent yesterday after Hamilton went to the back of the field and it was a cracking race thereafter, what exactly do they mean by that?

    You need to watch some F2 or F3.


    Reminds me of this clip though. Vettels a legend.

    https://youtu.be/VTAPL-xz7HY




  • Let's not forget here that the Mercedes-Benz stormed through 10 cars to finish 7th. Any other driver doing that would have been strong contender for driver of the day.
    Mind you this isn't the first time Honda power has stopped a Spaniard driven McLaren from winning a race.




  • flazio wrote: »
    Let's not forget here that the Mercedes-Benz stormed through 10 cars to finish 7th. Any other driver doing that would have been strong contender for driver of the day.
    Mind you this isn't the first time Honda power has stopped a Spaniard driven McLaren from winning a race.

    Part of me wanted to seem him get all the way to 1st again to show what a complete sham of a sport it’s become but I was happier to see him nowhere near the podium.


  • Advertisement


  • flazio wrote: »
    Let's not forget here that the Mercedes-Benz stormed through 10 cars to finish 7th. Any other driver doing that would have been strong contender for driver of the day.
    Mind you this isn't the first time Honda power has stopped a Spaniard driven McLaren from winning a race.
    When was the last time. Was it 2007?




  • AMKC wrote: »
    When was the last time. Was it 2007?

    All throughout 2015 to the end of 2018.




  • flazio wrote: »
    Let's not forget here that the Mercedes-Benz stormed through 10 cars to finish 7th. Any other driver doing that would have been strong contender for driver of the day.
    Mind you this isn't the first time Honda power has stopped a Spaniard driven McLaren from winning a race.

    Excellent brainteaser :p




  • antodeco wrote: »
    Favourite part of the season so far. Gasly sat on his own the podium. The pure emotion caught on that was amazing
    Absolutely, and a welcome change from the usual get in there lewis and all that nonsense for an above average driver in the best car by miles.
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Raikkonen was hopeless. No pace or stamina. Old man - should have retired in 2018.
    Are you delusional? Have you watched a 2020 race?
    His tires went off, he had the slowest engine in the second worst car. How did Gio do?




  • flazio wrote: »
    Let's not forget here that the Mercedes-Benz stormed through 10 cars to finish 7th. Any other driver doing that would have been strong contender for driver of the day.
    Mind you this isn't the first time Honda power has stopped a Spaniard driven McLaren from winning a race.

    Stormed through??
    Passed 10 cars?
    That's a joke to be honest, What decent cars did he pass?




  • vectra wrote: »
    Stormed through??
    Passed 10 cars?
    That's a joke to be honest, What decent cars did he pass?


    Haases, alfa, etc
    Backmarkers.


    Like passing a minardi/tyrell/lola/pacific/forti etc back in the 90s.




  • He did pass 10 cars getting to 7th , but I did not see it as been as easy as what Mercedes normally get. Even looking at the over take on Russell highlights it , He had DRS against the Williams and it actually looks laboured , He is faster but I expected it to be more. Mercedes were saying he would make to P6 and Normally that would be a given , but with out the other engine modes and Been stuck behind cars . It really did hamper him. A lot of off racing line driving to cool off the engine . Mercedes had to do that more than any other Team as far as I could see in the cooling off , or maybe TV just showed that for the Drama.

    Bottas cannot afford another bad start , he just got swallowed up and really struggled against the straight line speed of the Renault powered cars Was enough to keep him at bay.




  • More of the same next weekend please.

    I didn’t nod off for one second even in the 25 minute intermission. That’s a first for me so far this season :D




  • They said afterwards that this result really hurt Bottas's world championship hopes but I disagree, he's never had a hope.
    Every year we get 'the new Bottas' who wins in Australia. It'll be 'different this year', he looks 'fired up and intense'.
    A race later he's back to accepting a number 2 role and sounding mildly miffed on the radio every now and again and not showing any winners instinct whatsoever.
    He was highly regarded when he was at Williams and many hoped he'd get a chance at a big team, the difference being he DID actually get the big move and has been utterly disappointing since replacing Rosberg.
    Rosberg knew Hamilton was the chosen one and he was the other driver but decided he'd go out and do something about it, Bottas just seems content to finish where he finishes, never wanting more.


  • Advertisement


  • Joeface wrote: »
    He did pass 10 cars getting to 7th , but I did not see it as been as easy as what Mercedes normally get. Even looking at the over take on Russell highlights it , He had DRS against the Williams and it actually looks laboured , He is faster but I expected it to be more. Mercedes were saying he would make to P6 and Normally that would be a given , but with out the other engine modes and Been stuck behind cars . It really did hamper him. A lot of off racing line driving to cool off the engine . Mercedes had to do that more than any other Team as far as I could see in the cooling off , or maybe TV just showed that for the Drama.

    Bottas cannot afford another bad start , he just got swallowed up and really struggled against the straight line speed of the Renault powered cars Was enough to keep him at bay.

    I'd agree with this the Mercedes did not look as impressive as it usually is once it was in amongst cars. It's obviously still the best car on the grid but I can see why they went hard against the reverse grid suggestion.


Advertisement