Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Back next Tuesday with the xpesception of Airport and M1 services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Gael23 wrote: »
    Back next Tuesday with the xpesception of Airport and M1 services

Can understand the lack of demand for the airport 726 service, but is there no demand for Dublin/Belfast? I haven't seen Aircoach on the road yet, would there not be a demand there? Unless CV restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can understand the lack of demand for the airport 726 service, but is there no demand for Dublin/Belfast? I haven't seen Aircoach on the road yet, would there not be a demand there? Unless CV restrictions?

Running half a bus wouldn't suit them.... They're leaving them off on the train.... This could be a big opportunity for the rail to rob their customers too.... I do always wonder why people wanted private so much but yet won't run as it won't make them money, CIE continue right through.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

The 726 is running from Portlaoise to Airport. It states it on the website. At half capicity. Its remaining 27/7 and so far looks like the price is remaining the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Aircoach Cork and Belfast routes been running weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I got the service from Cork to Kilkenny often enough. I’ve seen plenty people buy tickets to Dublin at the Cork stop. Some of the better Dublin Coach drivers advised them to get Gobus or Aircoach instead.

I can't fathom why someone would choose a Dublin Coach service that has older vehicles, is less frequent, more expensive and takes far longer than any of the other three bus operators going between Dublin and Cork.

This is especially the case when both GoBus and Aircoach depart from pretty much the same place as Dublin Coach in Cork, which makes it hard for them not to know about the other services.

Running half a bus wouldn't suit them.... They're leaving them off on the train.... This could be a big opportunity for the rail to rob their customers too.... I do always wonder why people wanted private so much but yet won't run as it won't make them money, CIE continue right through.

The only private operator that has the same kind of funding that the CIE operators can benefit from has been operating similar services to them.

Unfortunately commercial operators don't have access to a funding tap, let alone one that can be have it's throughput increased like the PSO operators can benefit from.

Aircoach have been running 10 Cork services a day in each direction and 8 Belfast services a day in each direction for several weeks now with capacity of 23 seats for Cork services and 24 seats for Belfast services.

From Sunday there will be two trips in each direction added to the 705X Belfast route in order to meet demand that has led to some people being turned away meaning it will be 10 trips in each direction.

The 700 will also return from Sunday, operating broadly hourly, with some slight variations at quieter and peak times, but only running as far as UCD rather than to Leopardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

devnull wrote: »
    I can't fathom why someone would choose a Dublin Coach service that has older vehicles, is less frequent, more expensive and takes far longer than any of the other three bus operators going between Dublin and Cork.

This is especially the case when both GoBus and Aircoach depart from pretty much the same place as Dublin Coach in Cork, which makes it hard for them not to know about the other services.

could it be that the fares are cheaper, or perhapse they have just missed the other operator's departures and have decided that the extra time on the bus is worth it against the wait for the next departure by one of the others?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

could it be that the fares are cheaper, or perhapse they have just missed the other operator's departures and have decided that the extra time on the bus is worth it against the wait for the next departure by one of the others?

That doesn't really make any sense though as the Dublin Coach service will still arrive in Dublin later than the next Aircoach or GoBus service in almost all cases because there is such a difference in journey time.

They're also far more expensive actually, £20 single whether walk-up or online and no discount for a return so basically it's €40 which honestly is a rip off for that price for the kind of service that they provide.

Aircoach single ranges from €14 (online) to €17 (walk-up) for a single, with returns from €23 (online) to €26 (walk-up) whilst GoBus singles range from €14 (online) to €18 (walk-up) and returns at €23 (online) to €28 (walk-up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

soundman45 wrote: »
    Aircoach Cork and Belfast routes been running weeks now.

Thanks, hadn’t seen any so assumed they weren’t running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

devnull wrote: »
    Aircoach have been running 10 Cork services a day in each direction and 8 Belfast services a day in each direction for several weeks now with capacity of 23 seats for Cork services and 24 seats for Belfast services.

From Sunday there will be two trips in each direction added to the 705X Belfast route in order to meet demand that has led to some people being turned away meaning it will be 10 trips in each direction.

The 700 will also return from Sunday, operating broadly hourly, with some slight variations at quieter and peak times, but only running as far as UCD rather than to Leopardstown.

No use to me where I live having to get to UCD

Never said it was, was replying to the other person who was talking about Belfast.

They bring you from the Airport only to UCD, you cant hop on/off at various stops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The age of the fleet is immaterial, the poor maintenance is their issue, plenty of reports on this thread of their newer vehicles sat on the roadside as well as the older ones.

It is perfectly possible to keep older vehicles in presentable condition and run a reliable service with them, just not the way DC carry on.

You are correct however purely from a business perpective running older vehicles in regular service is not a good idea. A commercial operator using older vehicles would immediately strike alarm bells with me and would suggest they are cutting corners somewhere along the line.

It is possible to run older vehicles in regaular seevice in an acceptable condition 100% but it is not commercially viable. It makes sense for private operators to run ex DB vehicles for doing light duties.

His business model is set up and sell..,

Not as fast as I think he would like this time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They bring you from the Airport only to UCD, you cant hop on/off at various stops.
    I think they mean that they can't easily get to UCD to avail of the Aircoach to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How are they getting on with the first day back? Anyone use DC yet?
    * just see they are back tomorrow 8th sept!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

road_high wrote: »
    How are they getting on with the first day back? Anyone use DC yet?
    * just see they are back tomorrow 8th sept!!

Can we open a book on when the first breakdown is spotted? I'll have this month's mortgage on 'before the end of the week'!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

john boye wrote: »
    Can we open a book on when the first breakdown is spotted? I'll have this month's mortgage on 'before the end of the week'!

I'd imagine there'll be even more after 6 months of buses laid up! Will some of them even start up!?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    I'd imagine there'll be even more after 6 months of buses laid up! Will some of them even start up!?

Well that had huge issues starting after a run so they would leave running....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

john boye wrote: »

27st of augest at the back of the airport/old airport road I saw one broken down myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

27st of augest at the back of the airport/old airport road I saw one broken down myself.

:D:D not even back in service and already breaking down

Looks like a puncture, hardly a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Looks like a puncture, hardly a breakdown.

They had 6 months give or take to fix a puncture and still didn't do it ?

Pathetic

I wouldn't even get into it saying you can get a nail in a tire anytime, those tires take some real abuse and a nail most certainly will not bring one down. It would have to be a bigger issue like the rim or a blowout meaning the thing shouldn't be on the road in the first place

Pathetic

I wouldn't even get into it saying you can get a nail in a tire anytime, those tires take some real abuse and a nail most certainly will not bring one down. It would have to be a bigger issue like the rim or a blowout meaning the thing shouldn't be on the road in the first place

What utter BS. Sorry but I have driven buses most of my life, last puncture I had driving a bus was on the N7 at Naas a perfect tyre almost new got punctured at the roadworks. Yes a nail wont puncture them but they do punture like any other tyre can.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Well today is the day! Lets see how they get on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Pathetic

Jesus the hostility against them. Did a DC bus run over your pet dog or something? Give them a chance to get started. I've said it before and will continue to say it. A lot of people depend on their services for work, college and socially. They're not perfect but the towns they pass through have desperately missed this bus, I'm talking about the Portlaoise service. 24/7 services who take Sunday as an actual day and don't reduce services.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

I’ve used all services between Belfast - Dublin over the last 10 months. Dublin Coach is quicker & more comfortable, but I had a terrifying experience on one wet journey. The driver had his ipad on his knee the entire journey, his driving was diabolical - all over the road, those cross winds around Newry were particularly harrowing. I got up to speak to him & asked him to put the tablet away as he wasn’t concentrating on the road. He told me he needed to be on whatsapp to talk to other drivers. Couldn’t believe my ears.

• Advertisement

New2Dubs wrote: »
    I’ve used all services between Belfast - Dublin over the last 10 months. Dublin Bus is quicker & more comfortable, but I had a terrifying experience on one wet journey. The driver had his ipad on his knee the entire journey, his driving was diabolical - all over the road, those cross winds around Newry were particularly harrowing. I got up to speak to him & asked him to put the tablet away as he wasn’t concentrating on the road. He told me he needed to be on whatsapp to talk to other drivers. Couldn’t believe my ears.

Dublin coach I guess

Advertisement