Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flat wheel, cannot remove lug nuts

Options
  • 07-09-2020 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi currently with insure my van commercial insurance. Wheel is flat as anything due to a nail in it. Can anyone with them before provide me with info if they will tow me to a local tyre place etc.

Any help appreciated. Its just van is parked outside a customers house and am eiger to get removed. Tried changing the spare week but wheel brace snapped so them lug nuts are very well stuck on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Best bet is to leave the nail in place and try pumping up the tyre. If air stays in, drive it to the nearest garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

If you have break down cover just call up and they will fit the spare for you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yeah I have a air pump connects via cigarette lighter. The spare tyre I have is way to big for the car don't ask ����

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Did you go anti clockwise I would borrow another wrench then put metal pole over it
    https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/how-to-remove-tight-wheel-nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You need a repair kit, if it won't hold enough to drive to the garage.
    https://www.tyrego.ie/product-p/cf560550.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Did you go anti clockwise I would borrow another wrench then put metal pole over it
    https://www.lockingwheelnutkeys.co.uk/how-to-remove-tight-wheel-nuts

^^^^^^^
    This When on a school trip many, many years ago in a Transit minibus, we stopped on motorway to change flat tyre, tried everything we could think of to turn the nuts anti clockwise, even using the jack under the wheel brace and the weight of the minibus to try and shift them, nothing doing. Called the breakdown service, along comes guy with wrench and pipe, removes the nut clockwise. Big note stuck onto spare wheel for any teachers in the future!

Spook_ie wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^
    This When on a school trip many, many years ago in a Transit minibus, we stopped on motorway to change flat tyre, tried everything we could think of to turn the nuts anti clockwise, even using the jack under the wheel brace and the weight of the minibus to try and shift them, nothing doing. Called the breakdown service, along comes guy with wrench and pipe, removes the nut clockwise. Big note stuck onto spare wheel for any teachers in the future!

Yeah no literally broke the 21mm 1/2 drive with a extender and pole for leverage. Haha just wondering does breakdown include a flat tyre and bringing it to a garage for repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭con747

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Yeah no literally broke the 21mm 1/2 drive with a extender and pole for leverage. Haha just wondering does breakdown include a flat tyre and bringing it to a garage for repair?

If they can't fix it or put the spare on they would in any break down cover I had.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That's what the breakdown cover is for.

Rang three times and always happy with the results. Fixed once on the side of the road and towed once back to home no problem (15km).

The third time was an embarrassing one - running out of fuel in the middle of the night. Got a lift to the petrol station and loan of a Jerry can.

No matter how minor the issue is if you can't drive you call them ;)

wonski wrote: »
    That's what the breakdown cover is for.

Rang three times and always happy with the results. Fixed once on the side of the road and towed once back to home no problem (15km).

The third time was an embarrassing one - running out of fuel in the middle of the night. Got a lift to the petrol station and loan of a Jerry can.

No matter how minor the issue is if you can't drive you call them ;)

Thanks so much will ring them as soon as they open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Hoboo

con747 wrote: »
    If you have break down cover just call up and they will fit the spare for you.

I haven't changed a tyre in 18 years, insurance breakdown does that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It's possible that the last person who was at the tyres used an electric tool to tighten the nuts, and probably overtightened them, its probable that a mechanic or breakdown assist will be able to sort you out without needing to tow it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

google your van's manual and check which way the nuts are threaded. Could be the opposite on either side but often that would be indicated with arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's possible that the last person who was at the tyres used an electric tool to tighten the nuts, and probably overtightened them, its probable that a mechanic or breakdown assist will be able to sort you out without needing to tow it

He just needed to crack the nuts. Wheel brace + a length of steel pipe over it and boom he’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

He just needed to crack the nuts. Wheel brace + a length of steel pipe over it and boom he’s done.

he did that "Yeah no literally broke the 21mm 1/2 drive with a extender and pole for leverage"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

emeldc wrote: »
    Everyone should have something like this in the boot.

Another thing everyone should have is a decent jack. The one in my car is like something out of a kinder egg. People blame manufacturers for wanting to keep costs down but id say their main consideration is keeping down weight and space.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The problem will either be paint or surface rust in the wheel. Easily solved. You need an impact socket just the socket sized for you wheel nuts. And a lump hammer.

Put socket on give each wheel nut 3 or 4 bangs of the hammer then remove as normal.

I'd the same problem in 3 of the wheels on my van. Broke numerous sockets bent a few bars all to no avail for over an hour . Used the impact socket and hammer and got them off in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

listermint wrote: »
    They won't help I bent one completely on mine .
    The one I posted is a cheap one. You can buy a decent quality one for less than €30. Either way the brace supplied with the car is usually less than useless when the nuts have been put on with an air gun. I bought 4 torq wrenches in Lidl for €20 each and they’re a great job. My daughter had to use hers last week at night (with a little help), otherwise she wouldn’t have got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Isambard wrote: »
    he did that "Yeah no literally broke the 21mm 1/2 drive with a extender and pole for leverage"

Ah right, didn't see that. Jaysus how tight were they?!

emeldc wrote: »
    The one I posted is a cheap one. You can buy a decent quality one for less than €30. Either way the brace supplied with the car is usually less than useless when the nuts have been put on with an air gun. I bought 4 torq wrenches in Lidl for €20 each and they’re a great job. My daughter had to use hers last week at night (with a little help), otherwise she wouldn’t have got home.

Ive bent an expensive one on my van. i then added a 4 foot extension bar it it broke the expensive socket. You might find leverage isnt the game in town always, Which is why things like impact wrenches exist.

A wrap of a lump hammer on an impact socket is the best cure for a properly seized nut. By properly seized i dont mean over tightened Which is what an extension bar is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Break down should cover you. Just call them and ask them tell them you've already used and extension bar and broken a socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Wheel is flat as anything due to a nail in it.

If you pull the nail out with a pliers, screw in a bigger screw in the hole, pump it up, you'll get a few miles out of it to get to a garage.

Got it sorted lads, snapped 2 wheel braces but them cross shaped ones with a large pole done the trick haha cheers for all the help everyone appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

DIY!!

(I should be a mod ffs) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d be checking the other wheels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Got it sorted lads, snapped 2 wheel braces but them cross shaped ones with a large pole done the trick haha cheers for all the help everyone appreciated
    If you think that it was properly overtightened (and not just stuck due to rust) it might do no harm to have the studs inspected and/or changed at the next service.
    Overtightening the nuts can stretch the bolts and they then use their strength...the wheel might literally come off the wagon :D

Thanks lads I took all 4 wheels off and inspected. Put some anti seize on the lugs and all is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Thanks lads I took all 4 wheels off and inspected. Put some anti seize on the lugs and all is good

I dont think your supposed to put any grease on the lugs as it affects torque and retention. Its a good idea to buy new bolts and clean out the threads and use a torque wrench to torque them or keep an eye out for funny noises and if you think your wheel is coming loose pull over immediately.

Advertisement