Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

For sure he had talent to burn and wasn't bigoted at all unlike most of the prods of his generation.

he allegedly made statements supporting loyalists , probably drunk at the time , wont judge him for it , im sure plenty of catholic sportsmen did the same at the time about the IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Reverend Ian Paisley

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I think Saorise Ronan deserves a mention as well, very talented and seems to represent Ireland very well in any interviews I've seen her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Reverend Ian Paisley

know a seventy plus staunch republican ( FF voter whos father fought on the anti treaty side and carried the wounds ) who met him at the big agricultural show they have in northern ireland each year

he said big ian was incredibly likeable , spoke to a bunch of farmers from the south who were up for the day

told myself and a group who were attending his sons 21st so he wasnt afraid to let plenty hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Mairtin Tom sheaninin mac donncha... without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    PK talks too much , very bright but has a need to show it off.

Agreed, talks way too much, so much so that he probably talks more than 50% of the time during an interview, with his guests taking a back seat, not great at all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I don't get why Americans are obsessed with their irishness ...maybe a lack of sense of belonging and rejection by their community or lack of community and they are searching for it 'far away'

They idolize ireland in a strange way.
    I don't get why people complain about this. It's surely a positive to embrace your roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is there a list of acceptable accents before we look at achievements such as Olympic gold medal and undisputed champion of the world holding all belts, never done by anyone. And even though I hate religion, I never formed an opinion based on someone having a personal faith.

Politics/religion should be kept out of the public eye IMO. You're representing Ireland at an Olympics and therefore should be as neutral as possible in your opinions.

I remember myself being so happy for her and when she came out with the "god was with me in there" I remember thinking "Yes Katie, God supported you to go in there and mash your fist into your opponents head multiple times"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Gillen wasn’t the best in Love Hate. He paled into comparison to Vaughan Lawlor. Very few are better than Nidge though.

True Nidge was a consistently good character

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I think Saorise Ronan deserves a mention as well, very talented and seems to represent Ireland very well in any interviews I've seen her in.

She's really false.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Jedward are great

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Ha ha very funny :)

His Eurovision coverage was legendary & universally loved for taking the mickey, his annual Children in need appearancye were also great, his weekly TV interview show "Wogan" back in the 80s (who could forget his David Icke interview), not forgetting his forty year stint on BBC Radio 2.

Universally adored, even if you think otherwise.

I liked wogan..he was still a bitof a bollix :) i guess that what made him who he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Bill O'Herlihy. I would be very surprised if anyone disagreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Charles Stewart Parnell.

Rory Gallagher.

Sean Kelly.

Willie Duggan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Both English

Phil Lynott was no more English than Winston Churchill played Junior B for Upper Church. If i was born in an airplane does that make me a cloud. Phil Lynott born to an Irish mother was one of the proudest Irishmen that ever lived. No way is his pride, roots and love of this country going to be revised, to say he was English, a place that provided the most horrific memories, where he was in an horrific nun orphanage. At the age of 4 he pleaded and pleaded to be allowed stay with his Grandmother in Ireland. He wrote the Song Sarah about her and how she saved him. Everywhere he went he promoted his Irishness and we were proud of him. To flippantly say he is English, is either to be controversial for the sake of it or just no idea.

And by the way at the time, a child born to an Irish Mother when she was unmarried, no matter if outside Ireland automatically granted him Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Biggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

She's really false.

What does that even mean? How can anybody be "false"? You are either human or you are not. She handles herself ok, does a good job for her employers. And....she is a effortless actress. And always up for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

What does that even mean? How can anybody be "false"? You are either human or you are not. She handles herself ok, does a good job for her employers. And....she is a effortless actress. And always up for a bit of craic.

It means I don't like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Dead = Joey Dunlop

One of the few people from the North to be loved by everyone. And did so much for people less well off than him. Probably one of the biggest funerals the North ever saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I can't make up me mind between Brendan Behan and Jonathan Swift.

As a compromising gesture, I wouldn't mind lassoeing them from the clouds, sitting both of them to a few jars, and listen to what would transpire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

.anon. wrote: »
    She's a woman though, so you can be guaranteed there'll be lads on Boards who don't like her.

That 'you don't get to be racist and Irish' was the most hiberno centric nonsense I've ever heard. It was inferred that racism was for others, assuming the Brits, but we won't stereotype and stigmitze...that's what they do in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Maureen Potter.

Joe Dolan.

Robbie Keane hasn’t been mentioned and he is our most successful international football with a goal tally that probably won’t be beaten. That goal he scored against Germany in the last minute in the WC in 2002 still makes me feel on top of the world.

He scored 68 international goals. He also had an amazing club career playing for teams like Inter, Liverpool Spurs (twice) and Celtic to name but a few. He married his childhood sweetheart who is such a down to earth and beautiful. He does so much for where he grew up and is a great ambassador.

Don’t know why but the tribute Dimatar Berbatov gave him when he was inducted into the Irish Sports Star Hall of Fame made me emotional

https://youtu.be/E3Szbn19OJs

And who can forget bringing the spurs team to coppers for their Christmas party telling rednapp they were only playing golf.

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Graham Norton has his critics but I think most people like him.
    Will he wear his union jack waistcoat when he comes to pick up the award?
    Truthvader wrote: »
    Van Morrison. A man so monumentally unpleasant that few can endure his company for any extended period of time but so massively talanted that he is universally loved despite being himself.
    You seem to be mixing up the music with the man. He made a dick of himself with his recent attempt to become a public health expert.
    Truthvader wrote: »
    His height and his voice as pointed out. Plus his overweening prissy self regard. And the monumental waste of money pumped into the useless T na G. Oh yeah and that photo of him in sandles in Slane. And of course the relentless po faces political correctness on all issues mixed with the cowardice which means he never ever ever calls anything out until he is 10000% certain that everyone already agrees with whatever he is about to say

How did that '10000% certain that everyone already agrees with whatever he is about to say' work out for his comments on Castro's' death?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Barry McGuigan seemed sound, I know he became a Brit but sure nobody is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Shocked to hear the tide has turned on mickeldy! I love him.

Brendan Gleeson surely!

Thumpette wrote: »
    Shocked to hear the tide has turned on mickeldy! I love him.

Brendan Gleeson surely!

What demographic has this new view of Michael D Higgins. He is probably the most loved President in my lifetime and I’m going back to Patrick Hillary.

He is a believer in social justice but also follows through and includes students and young people from socially deprived areas when other politicians and advocates pay lip service.

Every speech he makes is a piece of art which includes literary references, educational references and examples to bring it to real life so people can understand it.

He is a Gaelgoir and is constantly promoting our native language while others deride it.

He has been part of major steps forward in inclusion in our country and not hid behind red tape. For example when the same s3x marriage was voted through by 1.2 million people, he signed it into law, not on a whim but knowledge even where people with no legal basis or case tried to delay or rescind with no other reason but hate.

To say he changes his voice is crazy. He’s sounded the same his whole life. He also treats dignitaries and less fortunate as equals and never allows pomp to trump human life.

And when you saw him shaking hands with the Irish Rugby Team dwarfed beside Devin Toner, you cant not love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

One of the few people from the North to be loved by everyone. And did so much for people less well off than him. Probably one of the biggest funerals the North ever saw.
    Very impressive memorials to both Joey and Robert Dunlop in Ballymoney. Well worth visiting if in Antrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What demographic has this new view of Michael D Higgins. He is probably the most loved President in my lifetime and I’m going back to Patrick Hillary.

He is a believer in social justice but also follows through and includes students and young people from socially deprived areas when other politicians and advocates pay lip service.

Every speech he makes is a piece of art which includes literary references, educational references and examples to bring it to real life so people can understand it.

He is a Gaelgoir and is constantly promoting our native language while others deride it.

He has been part of major steps forward in inclusion in our country and not hid behind red tape. For example when the same s3x marriage was voted through by 1.2 million people, he signed it into law, not on a whim but knowledge even where people with no legal basis or case tried to delay or rescind with no other reason but hate.

To say he changes his voice is crazy. He’s sounded the same his whole life. He also treats dignitaries and less fortunate as equals and never allows pomp to trump human life.

And when you saw him shaking hands with the Irish Rugby Team dwarfed beside Devin Toner, you cant not love him.

I don't like him one bit tbh

• Advertisement

I don't like him one bit tbh

Fair enough. And I saw your reasons. Could just imagine when Mandela was going to free the South Africans from Apartheid and suddenly silence, and hatred for Mandiba with chants of ‘Fcuck that lads, he’s wearing sandals’.

Advertisement