Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

8-10 wrote: »
    Agreed. He's an excellent broadcaster and smart interviewer.

There's a certain smoothness that the best broadcasters have and you're seeing it less and less these days. Kenny has always just had that comfortable style in the role.

I don't really get why some dislike him, but he's certainly not bad at what he does.

His entire newstalk show is built around whinging about Trump. The best bits are when people text in and tell him he is wrong about everything. Happens daily . He tends to get in a huff about it too.

He doesn't even bother to try and hide his bias on a whole range of topics. I'd say its because he is so old and rich he just doesn't care anymore. Hes alright just don't try and build anything near his house

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There's a certain smoothness that the best broadcasters have and you're seeing it less and less these days. Kenny has always just had that comfortable style in the role.

I don't really get why some dislike him, but he's certainly not bad at what he does.
    He was awfully awkward with some people in interviews.

He was also known for having a hot temper in live situations. It was embarrassing. And strange for someone usually so cardboard.

Apart from this he is boring.

In RTE the simple skill of having a trained broadcasting voice makes you 'good'. That isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

That's also why I mentioned Terry Wogan in this thread. He had the same smoothness.

Was Wogan not universally loved?

No...too west-britty

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That's also why I mentioned Terry Wogan in this thread. He had the same smoothness.

Loved Wogan doing the Eurovision. Loved when Ali G asked the Lord Mayor of Belfast was Wogan in the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

PK is great with serious topics, light entertainment not so much.
    Gaybo could flip between both superbly in his prime, although both PK and GB are obviously not to everyone's taste. Wogan was more light entertainment end of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Pintman paddy losty

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Johnny Giles

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    marty whelan

Haha! Brilliant post! Just for a second I thought you might be serious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Panrich

Haven’t gone through the whole thread but Brendan Gleason is one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No...too west-britty

Yeah, Marian Finucane said as much when she interviewed Wogan several years ago asking him after his move to Britain "did you not feel guilty taking the Queen's shilling" or words to that effect.
    Wogan sighed .....

He was loved both sides of the Irish sea, great broadcaster, great fun on the Radio & TV, great Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Yeah, Marian Finucane said as much when she interviewed Wogan several years ago asking him after his move to Britain "did you not feel guilty taking the Queen's shilling" or words to that effect.
    Wogan sighed .....

He was loved both sides of the Irish sea, great broadcaster, great fun on the Radio & TV, great Irishman.

He was a bollix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Alive = Katie Taylor

Dead = Joey Dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Brendan Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Christy Moore, Christy Ring, Christy Hennessy, Christy Dignam, Christy O'Connor (Snr. and Jnr.).

And Bridget Hitler.

Christy Hennessy was one of the nicest Irishmen ever. He was a gentle soul. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVo2LaBSuiM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Bob Geldolf.
    Lord Haw Haw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

dvdman1 wrote: »
    He was a bollix

He made the bbc!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

dvdman1 wrote: »
    He was a bollix

Ha ha very funny :)

His Eurovision coverage was legendary & universally loved for taking the mickey, his annual Children in need appearancye were also great, his weekly TV interview show "Wogan" back in the 80s (who could forget his David Icke interview), not forgetting his forty year stint on BBC Radio 2.

Universally adored, even if you think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was going to include George Best but he acted the bollix after he got the liver transplant when it could have been given to someone who really needed it.

As far as I know Phil Lynott hasn’t been mentioned. He was probably one of the coolest Irishmen to ever live and his charisma was boundless. Like most hellraisers, he was dogged at the end with addiction which lead to his death at 36.

Must have been tough for a 15 year old black Kid to leave his mother and move in with her family in Crumlin. But eventually became something for Irish People to be proud of. Making Whiskey in the Jar must have been amazing. He always came across as gentle and sincere and never forgot his roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Liam Neeson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Mother Teresa

If you read up about her you'll find she was a sadistic miser. all the money she got form donations went straight to the vatican bank. she allowed people to die in pain when she could have helped them. she believed suffering brought you closer to god. pure evil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If you read up about you'll find she was a sadistic miser. all the money she got form donations went straight to the vatican bank. she allowed people to die in pain when she could have helped them. she believed suffering brought you closer to god. pure evil

You're being trolled.

antix80 wrote: »
    You're being trolled.

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher Hitchens check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

joeguevara wrote: »
    As far as I know Phil Lynott hasn’t been mentioned. He was probably one of the coolest Irishmen to ever live and his charisma was boundless. Like most hellraisers, he was dogged at the end with addiction which lead to his death at 36.

Must have been tough for a 15 year old black Kid to leave his mother and move in with her family in Crumlin. But eventually became something for Irish People to be proud of. Making Whiskey in the Jar must have been amazing. He always came across as gentle and sincere and never forgot his roots.

His mother wasn't very nice though, it took her long enough to acknowledge Lynotts son and even then was no way friendly to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

joeguevara wrote: »

I came on here to post Philo. I think we all love Philo, don't we?

Dermot Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Liam Cunningham has come away with great credit from his performances in GOT, even if the last season was a complete ****show.

Don't think I've seen a bad performance from Aiden Gillen either, both likable

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I came on here to post Philo. I think we all love Philo, don't we?

Going to post a letter for the first time in decades so I can buy his stamp.

Josuke wrote: »
    Liam Cunningham has come away with great credit from his performances in GOT, even if the last season was a complete ****show.

Don't think I've seen a bad performance from Aiden Gillen either, both likable

Gillen wasn’t the best in Love Hate. He paled into comparison to Vaughan Lawlor. Very few are better than Nidge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

He was awfully awkward with some people in interviews.

He was also known for having a hot temper in live situations. It was embarrassing. And strange for someone usually so cardboard.

Apart from this he is boring.

In RTE the simple skill of having a trained broadcasting voice makes you 'good'. That isn't enough.

https://youtu.be/PrYwCwtX0JM

Advertisement