Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any universally loved Irish people

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m going to say it. Gerry Lambo Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Why?

His height and his voice as pointed out. Plus his overweening prissy self regard. And the monumental waste of money pumped into the useless T na G. Oh yeah and that photo of him in sandles in Slane. And of course the relentless po faces political correctness on all issues mixed with the cowardice which means he never ever ever calls anything out until he is 10000% certain that everyone already agrees with whatever he is about to say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Baldy McDonagh

pipelaser wrote: »

Imagine he said that in 2020 people would be fainting in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Wasn’t Jesus Irish. He was 33, a virgin and still living with his mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

joeguevara wrote: »
    Going to post a letter for the first time in decades so I can buy his stamp.

Ah yeah! I might order some from on post actually, the first time I've ever done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Liam Neeson?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Is there a list of acceptable accents before we look at achievements such as Olympic gold medal and undisputed champion of the world holding all belts, never done by anyone. And even though I hate religion, I never formed an opinion based on someone having a personal faith.

Isn't the thread about liking people? You don't have to like someone because they have achievements

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Baldy McDonagh

Is that the pikey lad with the bad teeth on tiktok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Van Morrison. A man so monumentally unpleasant that few can endure his company for any extended period of time but so massively talanted that he is universally loved despite being himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher Hitchens check it out.

Hitchens isnt a reliable source for anything, the guy never met a fact he wouldnt bend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I was going to include George Best but he acted the bollix after he got the liver transplant when it could have been given to someone who really needed it.

There’s the whole wife beating thing aswell

There’s the whole wife beating thing aswell

Didn't know about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Phil Lynnot

Jack Charlton (honorary)

Both English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Once anyone in this country reaches a point of universal acclaim or adoration (or something close), people usually get bored/sick of them... then they get the Bono type scorn just for being the same as they were before!

You're much better off just rejecting any adulation thrown your way, and just maintain a sort of mild indifference to everything/everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Albert Reynolds

A lot of our mammys and daddy’s wouldn’t have met without his ballrooms of romance

Also put a telephone into nearly every house in Ireland

Kicked off the peace process

Brought the Eurovision to Millstreet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

8-10 wrote: »
    Agreed. He's an excellent broadcaster and smart interviewer.

There's a certain smoothness that the best broadcasters have and you're seeing it less and less these days. Kenny has always just had that comfortable style in the role.

I don't really get why some dislike him, but he's certainly not bad at what he does.

That's also why I mentioned Terry Wogan in this thread. He had the same smoothness.

Was Wogan not universally loved?

he might be a bad neighbour but one of my sisters works in TV production and has dealt with PK, he was sound enough , tubridy was lovely ( and shes not a fan ) , gerry ryan was a pr1ck

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    he might be a bad neighbour but one of my sisters works in TV production and has dealt with PK, he was sound enough , tubridy was lovely ( and shes not a fan ) , gerry ryan was a pr1ck

PK is very nice and is sound.

It is to his credit that he always gave David McSavage a chance unlike his cousin

I think McSavage taking the p1ss out of PK is a form of flattery

PK is a good sport

Be also presented Eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Both English

Jack Charlton was a proud Geordie lad.

Phil Lynott was Irish even though he was born in England.

PK is great with serious topics, light entertainment not so much.
    Gaybo could flip between both superbly in his prime, although both PK and GB are obviously not to everyone's taste. Wogan was more light entertainment end of things.

PK is very good but no one has ever come close to Gay Byrne as a broadcaster , pure natural

he let himself down badly with Annie Murphy however , perhaps being of the generation who grew up revering the church , influenced his obnoxiousness ?

no excuse though

• Advertisement

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Haha! Brilliant post! Just for a second I thought you might be serious :)

i am serious

marty is impossible to dislike

PK is very good but no one has ever come close to Gay Byrne as a broadcaster , pure natural

he let himself down badly with Annie Murphy however , perhaps being of the generation who grew up revering the church , influenced his obnoxiousness ?

no excuse though

Gaybo also let himself down with G. Adams

I was going to include George Best but he acted the bollix after he got the liver transplant when it could have been given to someone who really needed it.

i can still forgive him for all that , he was a wizard with a ball and defenders then were all hatchet men

elperello wrote: »
    Jack Charlton was a proud Geordie lad.

Phil Lynott was Irish even though he was born in England.

Phil regarded himself as Irish in the same way as Shane McGowen does, both were born in England though and nothing can change this.

Same with Peter O Toole.

i can still forgive him for all that , he was a wizard with a ball and defenders then were all hatchet men

For sure he had talent to burn and wasn't bigoted at all unlike most of the prods of his generation.

Sorolla wrote: »
    PK is very nice and is sound.

It is to his credit that he always gave David McSavage a chance unlike his cousin

I think McSavage taking the p1ss out of PK is a form of flattery

PK is a good sport

Be also presented Eurovision

PK talks too much , very bright but has a need to show it off

hes a poor investor too , so was gaybo and mike murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Tom Crean

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Phil regarded himself as Irish in the same way as Shane McGowen does, both were born in England though and nothing can change this.

Same with Peter O Toole.

Of course you can't change the location of your birth but it does not define your nationality.

Our history of emigration has led to many of our great Irish people being born abroad.

Sorolla wrote: »
    Gaybo also let himself down with G. Adams

yes , he did

vincent browne was the only broadcaster to ever handle adams correctly , he focused soley on the fiction that adams was never an IRA member

GB just got personal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Liam Neeson if we're counting Northern Ireland?

He's fallen out of the limelight a bit but I think Colin Farrell is mostly well liked?

Graham Norton has his critics but I think most people like him.

Advertisement