Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm living in Carstown on Drogheda. The house is recently built and the eircode / Google maps are setup since last November. We're within a efibre area. But we're not on the openeir list for the area. We tried copper from the cabinet but we were getting least that 2mb download. I have a 4g modem with an eir SIM. I'm getting between 4 and 7 mb download speeds. Just enough to run the cameras and a bit of Netflix. Although Netflix is hit or miss in the evening. It's slightly better since I changed the modems DNS settings.
    So imagine 5g has come into the area, and it's available from the end of September with speeds of up to 150mb. Can another share their experience of the 5g service?

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Wing126 wrote: »
    Anyone had a call out from Imagine lately? I'm due one tomorrow to have my router replaced, but the wording of the text makes it sound like i'm signing up as a new customer. Is that the same for everyone?

I had my router and receiver replaced a couple of weeks back.

No new contract involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I had my router and receiver replaced a couple of weeks back.

No new contract involved.

The wording for my callout text says

"Hi, your home is now due to be connected to our broadband service"

Was that similar to what you had?

I also an email saying "What to expect on the day of your install"

So I'm just a wee bit confused is all. It doesn't reflect that I'm an existing customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

1jcdub wrote: »
    [...] Can another share their experience of the 5g service?

Thanks

5G with Imagine? They do not provide 5G yet, just LTE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Can another share their experience of the 5g service?

Thanks

Imagine don't have a 5g service, they are also not fibre, they don't give you 'gigabyte connection' either or any of the other buzzwords they use to fool customers.

What you get is 4g LTE, it's basically mobile broadband nothing more nothing less. They claim it goes as fast as 150 megs but most people here generally get between 5 megs and 100 megs depending on the time of day and number of users online at once. You might be lucky and be on an empty mast but you could also be very unlucky and end up on a crowded mast with a connection speed that's barely able to open a google homepage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The wording for my callout text says

"Hi, your home is now due to be connected to our broadband service"

Was that similar to what you had?

I also an email saying "What to expect on the day of your install"

So I'm just a wee bit confused is all. It doesn't reflect that I'm an existing customer.

Sounds very similar to the wording of what I received.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Can another share their experience of the 5g service?

Imagine never had 5G and most likely "never will".
    They are lying
    They have LTE "4g".

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Imagine never had 5G and most likely "never will".
    They are lying
    They have LTE "4g".

Apparently it's suppose to be a newer technology to 4g. They said they'll carry out a speed test prior to installation. I'll report back if or when it happens.

Unregistered Users

Perhaps they advertised it as "newer", in fact it is not. 4G, aka LTE.

So, my router and receiver were replaced this morning, the engineers also connected me to a high site that's closer to me, and so far it's been a significant improvement. Have been testing throughout the day since 9am and getting consistently above 30Mb, highest being 70Mb.

Thought I'd share the experience. Pleasantly surprised by this, but will need to see if it keeps up, I remember when I first signed up in 2016, I had great speeds for about a week. No new contract signed either, which is a relief, I was a wee bit worried they'd make me sign one, NBI will be rolling around my area early next year, so I will want to ditch Imagine for that sweet sweet FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Had 2 x vans from NBI outside my door today.

They knocked to just say they would be surveying but wont need access to the house. Gave me a little form saying they are surveying is all.

I asked for a rough timescale on how long from surveying to works and they said they are unsure and can't even give a timeline.

Great to see them here though. One step closer to getting rid of Imagine.

AH2016 wrote: »
    Had 2 x vans from NBI outside my door today.

They knocked to just say they would be surveying but wont need access to the house. Gave me a little form saying they are surveying is all.

I asked for a rough timescale on how long from surveying to works and they said they are unsure and can't even give a timeline.

Great to see them here though. One step closer to getting rid of Imagine.

Which county is that if you don't mind the question?

Every time I check the website for my area it just says "Surveys will start soon"

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Which county is that if you don't mind the question?

Every time I check the website for my area it just says "Surveys will start soon"

It was county Longford. They kept fairly tight lipped on how long things take

AH2016 wrote: »
    It was county Longford. They kept fairly tight lipped on how long things take

I'd say once they've surveyed it, they'll be able to tell you how long it will take. Like they need to figure out how many poles will need to be installed, where your fibre cabinet will be etc.

Interesting that they knocked your house and told you they were surveying though. When they were surveying my place, they didn't come near my house!

Anyone have the login details for the Gemtek 130 Router?

I'd say once they've surveyed it, they'll be able to tell you how long it will take. Like they need to figure out how many poles will need to be installed, where your fibre cabinet will be etc.

Interesting that they knocked your house and told you they were surveying though. When they were surveying my place, they didn't come near my house!

They had to come onto my property to survey the pole. The dogs were out at the side of the house so that is why they knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

Anyone have the login details for the Gemtek 130 Router?

I think it's unique to each one so mine wouldn't work for you. Just contact them and they'll give it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Hi lads, just wondering is the 1-7 am unlimited data still in effect? Thanks for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mossie

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Hi lads, just wondering is the 1-7 am unlimited data still in effect? Thanks for any information.

AFAIK yes, not 100% sure but I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

LiquidZeb wrote: »

Yes it is, I only got a reminder email about this last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Why is my multiplayer gaming giving me lag warnings? COD, battlefront etc etc. It’s everything, so it’s not just bad netcode for Modern Warfare (a game which is nigh on unplayable) This is a wired connection. Yet every speed test I run (wirelessly) gives me sub 20ms latency. Speeds up/down are also really good.

Why is my multiplayer gaming giving me lag warnings? COD, battlefront etc etc. It’s everything, so it’s not just bad netcode for Modern Warfare (a game which is nigh on unplayable) This is a wired connection. Yet every speed test I run (wirelessly) gives me sub 20ms latency. Speeds up/down are also really good.

NAT type maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

NAT type maybe?

Nat is moderate, but I don’t know how to change that anywhere either system or game wise. I remember it was two button presses on the Xbox ... when I was with other providers. I’m just not seeing an option anywhere to switch to open. Is this an imagine thing Do I need to do open ports etc? I’m fairly clueless here.

Nat is moderate, but I don’t know how to change that anywhere either system or game wise. I remember it was two button presses on the Xbox ... when I was with other providers. I’m just not seeing an option anywhere to switch to open. Is this an imagine thing Do I need to do open ports etc? I’m fairly clueless here.

Yeah, you'll likely need to call imagine because they keep the admin side of the router to themselves until ye contact them. The user side has limited options open to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Keep us posted @Oafley Jones - I'd be interested to see how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

NAT won't matter what is your ping to the host for the game? I'd try pinging the host if you can get it's ip for a good number of packets and not the standard three.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I have Vodafone 4G home broadband which is a life saver and was tempted by adverts of Imagine in my area to switch as they have unlimited downloads (great incentive) as well as boasting higher speeds, perfect for gaming etc.

I work from home and a bit nervous about switching after reading a few pages here. Better the devll you know and all that.....

Anyone else switch from Vodafone 4G and think it was worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

ARGINITE wrote: »
    NAT won't matter what is your ping to the host for the game? I'd try pinging the host if you can get it's ip for a good number of packets and not the standard three.

You can see your ping in call of duty if you go in to options while playing a game this is on the xbox 1

You need to open up the ports as well makes a big difference

Unregistered Users

[...] tempted by adverts of Imagine in my area to switch as they have unlimited downloads [...]

Read the small print first.

[...] The fair usage limit for data usage on the Broadband Service in any one month is 1TB. This limit is not to be exceeded. [...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭happyplants

I have Vodafone 4G home broadband which is a life saver and was tempted by adverts of Imagine in my area to switch as they have unlimited downloads (great incentive) as well as boasting higher speeds, perfect for gaming etc.

I work from home and a bit nervous about switching after reading a few pages here. Better the devll you know and all that.....

Anyone else switch from Vodafone 4G and think it was worth it?

Hi, could I ask you the reverse question - i.e. I'm being pulled away from the city for family reasons and have a need for not-too-intense OneDrive / Dropbox use. Like, I'd regularly be working with 20mb files or more on and off in email attachments. Not huge, I know, but stilll....

The 4G was good for that kind of thing? I'm likely to have only Imagine or a 4G service as an option where I'm heading.

Advertisement