Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Earlier in the month I saw an ad for Scooby Doo for €18 on Sky so €22 isn’t too far from that

Not sure I’ll pay it but if the rest of the house wants it, I’d happily pay €22 for 2 hours entertainment for them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would there be enough buzz around this to warrant a €22 outlay just to watch the movie at home a few months before it becomes available for free to Disney+ subscribers.

Maybe there is a big marketing push that isn't targeted at me that would put pressure on adults to shell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Would there be enough buzz around this to warrant a €22 outlay just to watch the movie at home a few months before it becomes available for free to Disney+ subscribers.

Maybe there is a big marketing push that isn't targeted at me that would put pressure on adults to shell out.

It will be another 6 months at least after September Cinema/Disney+ launch of Mulan
    Usually disney adds new releases 3-4 months after home media release
    Mulan is estimated (TBC) to have December/January home media release in USA
    UK/Ireland I would expect be in January/February (TBC)

So it would not be until at least March in USA and April in UK/Ireland and likely be another month on top of this before you see Mulan as part of the basic subscription

I expect Disney will have a lot more than some expect will pay for early access to Mulan

It's hard to know what "a few months" will actually be but you are probably right that it's about the 6-8 month mark.

I still don't see the big appeal in getting the early access though, and while you may be right that Disney sees surprisingly good numbers off the back of it, I'd just be curious as to why early access for a Disney live action remake like this would justify it.

Really hope the model doesn't become more prevalent in the online streaming subscription market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

I think a much better test of the model would be something like Black widow. Buzz on Mulan hasnt been great.
    It's hard to know what "a few months" will actually be but you are probably right that it's about the 6-8 month mark.

I still don't see the big appeal in getting the early access though, and while you may be right that Disney sees surprisingly good numbers off the back of it, I'd just be curious as to why early access for a Disney live action remake like this would justify it.

Really hope the model doesn't become more prevalent in the online streaming subscription market.

• Advertisement

I think you’re underestimating the Disney fandom. It isn’t just a film studio or a streaming platform. Nearly all of the live action remakes have had lukewarm reviews, with nobody clamouring for them to be made, and they’ve done gang busters

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's a rip-off. Save your money. The mouse has enough cheese.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Dodge wrote: »
    I think you’re underestimating the Disney fandom. It isn’t just a film studio or a streaming platform. Nearly all of the live action remakes have had lukewarm reviews, with nobody clamouring for them to be made, and they’ve done gang busters
    I always assumed that success was derived from the 'we're at the cinema, what should we look at, oh, the lion king is out as a live action movie, let's buy 4 tickers for that' crowd as opposed to a dedicated fandom but I could be very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I'd have thought for a large number it was more along the lines of "What can I do to keep the kids occupied for a few hours? Oh look, theres a Disney movie in the cinema." Cant see many of that crowd rushing to pay out more when they've already paid for Disney+ and the kids are still just going to be sitting on the couch at home.

I always assumed that success was derived from the 'we're at the cinema, what should we look at, oh, the lion king is out as a live action movie, let's buy 4 tickers for that' crowd as opposed to a dedicated fandom but I could be very very wrong.

I’m not sure that crowd really exists anymore. Going to the cinema with kids is more a planned event than that in my experience

We might both be right too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

But does it not all boil down to what people are willing to pay to see a movie in the comfort of their own home. Especially if they are concerned with going to a cinema. I personally love going to the cinema as it's an experience I enjoy, I also subscribe to streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ & Amazon Prime. Now going forward if I had to pay say €21 to watch a movie that would cost maybe double that to see with my family in the cinema I would gladly pay it.

spuddy01 wrote: »
    But does it not all boil down to what people are willing to pay to see a movie in the comfort of their own home. Especially if they are concerned with going to a cinema. I personally love going to the cinema as it's an experience I enjoy, I also subscribe to streaming services like Netflix, Disney+ & Amazon Prime. Now going forward if I had to pay say €21 to watch a movie that would cost maybe double that to see with my family in the cinema I would gladly pay it.
    I'm curious about what might happen though. Let's say post covid could you see a model where release goes to cinema and same day to streaming for 21 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Hard to know what way it will go. Pre covid studios were looking to shorten the time before they could debut home releases. Some companies I believe were trying to introduce a premium service of day & date releases with a much higher fee for the movie itself. I think studios will probably debut movies like Trolls, Bloodshot & Mulan this way to test the waters and see if its a viable market for them. Because nobody knows for certain whats going to happen in the future, lets just say TENET is released in the cinema people flock to see it & cases rise. Would you or anybody put themselves or family at risk when you could watch it at home??

spuddy01 wrote: »
    Hard to know what way it will go. Pre covid studios were looking to shorten the time before they could debut home releases. Some companies I believe were trying to introduce a premium service of day & date releases with a much higher fee for the movie itself. I think studios will probably debut movies like Trolls, Bloodshot & Mulan this way to test the waters and see if its a viable market for them. Because nobody knows for certain whats going to happen in the future, lets just say TENET is released in the cinema people flock to see it & cases rise. Would you or anybody put themselves or family at risk when you could watch it at home??

Nolan is one of the directors who is very pro cinema for the experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’ve been rewatching the Disney movies of my childhood(or ones I saw in childhood) and I know there have been remakes and I’ve no doubt they are superbly made films but to me the original lion king, the jungle book(made in 1967/68), the little mermaid, Fantasia, Aladdin just have something special that goes beyond good films. They have a magic about them that imo can’t be just tuned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People and the special effect for 1959 are bloody good.

Always loved the movie as a kid and pleased to say I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I watched Darby O'Gill and the Little People and the special effect for 1959 are bloody good.

what they could do was crazy

For reasons known only to myself I'm watching the sound of music in full(I’ve never seen it in full in one sitting) but it’s really a classic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I was terrified of the banshee as a kid. Many a sleepless night

Nolan is one of the directors who is very pro cinema for the experience..

I can't see anything other than bad experience when talking about cinemas. Everyone has a massive TV and sound system at home these days and it removes that 'other people' factor, which had always been the worst aspect of cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

There are reports on Twitter that Mulan will be free to all subscribers on 4th December. Not sure where the screenshot originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If you're going to want to watch a movie by yourself or a mate or two then I get the experience factor.

But if you're bringing a family then a late evening at home is our preferred method anyway, convenience, comfort and the cost factor in big time

Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian. I liked it. Not a big fan of Star Wars stuff, especially the more recent movies, but this held my interest.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian. I liked it. Not a big fan of Star Wars stuff, especially the more recent movies, but this held my interest.

Couple of duff weeks but just good clean easy watching. It'd sit quite happily outside the Star Wars universe and still be very good.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Can someone explain how the Premiere feature works?

I'm on the app right now and it's not giving me the option to buy it at all.

Edit. Never mind. I'm thinking a day ahead like an eejit. Thought today was Friday lol

Seems there’s blowback on the film Mulan because the actress who plays mulan seemed to praise Hong Kong police a few years ago which apparently is a cardinal sin and an online boycott of sorts is going on.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Seems there’s blowback on the film Mulan because the actress who plays mulan seemed to praise Hong Kong police a few years ago which apparently is a cardinal sin and an online boycott of sorts is going on.

Just watching now..it's not great..they prick tease by playing the melody of some of the songs in the background...looks nice but looses a lot of the charm and heart if the original

Last hour is much better... Probably a solid 3.8 out of 5

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couple of duff weeks but just good clean easy watching. It'd sit quite happily outside the Star Wars universe and still be very good.

New episodes arriving on Oct 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's a rip-off. Save your money. The mouse has enough cheese.

This film does not appeal to me, as I'm not a fan of these live action remakes.

However, I fail to see how this can be called a rip off.
    I checked Dundrum Movies and a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 kids is €30.00.
    Then add sweets, drinks, parking then it can easily get to €50.

€21.99 to watch a new release as often as you like in the comfort of your home for €21.99 seems like a good deal to me.

I think it's good how Disney are doing it different.
    I also think a lot of families would be reluctant to go to the cinemas with the current pandemic leading to a lot of disappointed kids and this avoids that.

Saying the mouse has enough cheese is wrong as films have to make money in order to get made, simple as that.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    This film does not appeal to me, as I'm not a fan of these live action remakes.

However, I fail to see how this can be called a rip off.

I checked Dundrum Movies and a family ticket for 2 adults and 2 kids is €30.00.

Then add sweets, drinks, parking then it can easily get to €50

€21.99 to watch a new release as often as you like in the comfort of your home for €21.99 seems like a good deal to me.

I think it's good how Disney are doing it different.

I also think a lot of families would be reluctant to go to the cinemas with the current pandemic leading to a lot of disappointed kids and this avoids that.

Saying the mouse has enough cheese is wrong as films have to make money in order to get made, simple as that.

It's pure marketing spiel on their part to make people think sitting in their front room or bedroom watching this is in any way comparable to the immersive experience of attending a cinema. Imagine the FAI trying to convince Ireland supporters to pay up €50, or whatever the ticket price, to watch an Ireland game on the telly as they can't go to the match at the moment. (Actually, I shouldn't give them ideas)

Not to mention the fact if you're in Dublin at this time of year, there's a fair chance you're hearing fireworks going off outside non-stop to make you feel like you're watching it as the fall of Fallujah happens outside. So yeah, I would definitely suggest waiting until December and save the money. But to each their own.

Advertisement