Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster vs Munster, Fri 4th Sept 7:35pm, Eir Sport / Eir Sport FB page

• 03-09-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray;
    Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley.

Who wins? 66 votes

Leinster
    0%
    Munster
    63%
    Serbianstephen_ndmapreludeAbusesToiletsbkrangleDigifriendlygenericgoonZzippysydthebeatcircosguaposmolloyjhscott1974DGRulzdoylermancameramonkeyPlane Madjack01986vienne86Absoluvely 42 votes
    Neil Francis
    36%
    moby2101AkrasiabudhabobuptherebelsmountainScrubsfanChrisDunmoreroaderMockbatimbertimeTomtom364theboss80shootermacgnitros7kuang1lertsnimThe Lost SheepJimmy 3 timesChiarrai92VANG1Heres Johnny 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster
    Thought Munster would've went with Wycherley as that front five seems underpowered. Although for Leinster I don't think Ryan is available yet and Toner will probably start to bolster the set piece. Munsters lack of power may not be as noticeable.

Munster
    Leinster side:

Healy
    Kelleher
    Porter
    Toner
    Fardy
    Doris
    Connors
    Conan

McGrath
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Keenan
    Larmour

Subs:
    Cronin
    Ed Byrne
    Bent
    Baird
    VDF
    JGP
    Ross Byrne
    ROL

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tasty calls on wing and open side.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (47)
    14. Hugo Keenan (15)
    13. Garry Ringrose (73)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (45)
    11. James Lowe (44)
    10. Johnny Sexton (164) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (124)
    1. Cian Healy (217)
    2. Rónan Kelleher (12)
    3. Andrew Porter (63)
    4. Devin Toner (246)
    5. Scott Fardy (59)
    6. Caelan Doris (30)
    7. Will Connors (17)
    8. Jack Conan (90)

16. Seán Cronin (183)
    17. Ed Byrne (54)
    18. Michael Bent (137)
    19. Ryan Baird (8)
    20. Josh van der Flier (81)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (90)
    22. Ross Byrne (86)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (68)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm going to regret saying it but Munster have a real opportunity against that side. The Leinster pack is not the same without Furlong and Ryan but our pack is underpowered also. If Kilcoyne, Kleyn and Snyman were available I'd back us to win it. I still think we've a shot mind.

Keenan and Larmour better be ready because Murray is going to test them in the air.

There's a few interesting selections by Munster. Archer ahead of Ryan at TH, JOD at 7 and Haley on the bench despite no minutes in a 5-3 split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

It’s a career defining match for Kelleher. Hit your man in the lineout and he’s first choice. Fail and his whole career could be in jeopardy. I honestly don’t know why Cullen has started him against the best defensive lineout in Europe after his last showing. Perhaps to redeem himself. It’s a risky move and one I have a bad feeling about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

It’s a career defining match for Kelleher. Hit your man in the lineout and he’s first choice. Fail and his whole career could be in jeopardy. I honestly don’t know why Cullen has started him against the best defensive lineout in Europe after his last showing. Perhaps to redeem himself. It’s a risky move and one I have a bad feeling about

That seems a bit extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Neil Francis
    Its not near that. He wont be first choice if he hits his lineouts and if he doesnt his career or chances of playing international level or anything else isnt going to be at risk.

Munster
    No 6-2 split this week. Would've been tempted to go with that again to bring Ruddock's heft into the side.

Presumably Connors is there to man mark Stander. Really impressed by his tackle technique and work rate. Slight worry that some of his hits verge on no arms chops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Would you look at that. Munster. Cheating before the game's even begun!

P2wsuFz.png

But yeah, on a slightly more serious note, I've a sneaking feeling Munster might pip this.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster
    Leinster by 14

i could only see one of that munster starting pack forcing their way onto a Leinster starting 15.
    leinster have had 2 weeks to plan and rest for the game, whereas munster have had 5 days.

pressure will win out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Just for posterity, Paddy Power has Leinster as 8-pt favourites (10/11). I think it will be a lot closer than that.

I don't think the Leinster cupboard has ever been as bare in the back three. Keenan is decent but very raw on the wing. Lowe was a non-entity the first day against Munster so hopefully he's a bit more involved.

Leinster bench much better than Munster's but the first XVs are as closely matched as they've been in a while.

Munster
    Wonder how close Ryan and Leavy were to making the squad. Lancaster was talking them up as challenging for a spot earlier this week. In the case of Leavy I can't see him playing this season. Reckon this was the last chance for him to make a squad. If we win then he won't be risked for a final. If we lose he still won't be risked for the Saracens QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Munster:
    Shane Daly; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; JJ Hanrahan, Conor Murray;
    Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, John Ryan, Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Mike Haley.

JOD has probably had his best season in a Munster Jersey.

Looking for a big performance from him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is it bad I no longer keep track of how many wins in a row Leinster are on?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Munster
    Jordan Larmour v Shane Daly - Larmour currently the better fullback
    Hugo Keenan v Andrew Conway - Conway the standout 14 in Ireland currently
    Garry Ringrose v Chris Farrell - Ringrose offers a lot more than Farrell
    Robbie Henshaw v Damian de Allende - Draw. de Allende probably the higher ceiling but still needs to bed into Munster system
    James Lowe v Keith Earls - Earls still got it. But Lowe tends to bring his best against Munster. Might well pip him
    Johnny Sexton v JJ Hanrahan - No contest
    Luke McGrath v Conor Murray - No contest
    Cian Healy v Jeremy Loughman - No contest
    Rónan Kelleher v Niall Scannell - Much more rounded game to Scannell. Hopefully he can fix his throwing which had been very strong this season
    Andrew Porter v Stephen Archer - No contest
    Devin Toner v Tadgh Beirne - Beirne coming off a very strong showing
    Scott Fardy v Billy Holland - Unquestionably the better of these 2 vets
    Caelan Doris v Peter O'Mahony - Pete still tops it. But the gap is ever closing. Doris not far off
    Will Connors v Jack O'Donoghue - Connors started the season strong and offers more at 7 that JOD
    Jack Conan v CJ Stander - Restarted the season strongly. Excellent turnovers so far. But Conan still offers a hell of a lot

Seán Cronin v Kevin O'Byrne - No contest
    Ed Byrne v James Cronin - Offers more around the park. For me a stronger scrummager
    Michael Bent v John Ryan - probably a stronger all around game to Bent
    Ryan Baird v Fineen Wycherly - Wycherly has his fans. Baird the superior player for me
    Josh van der Flier v Chris Cloete - Not really much contest here. Cloete a decent player but a bit of a liability
    Jamison Gibson-Park v Craig Casey - Casey has an excellent pass and is filling that "petit generale" role. JGP has a better kicking, tackling and running game as well as significant knockout rugby experience
    Ross Byrne v Rory Scannell - Not really applicable as they're different positions. Byrne a better 10 than Scannell is a 12 though
    Rory O’Loughlin v Mike Haley - As above. Offer cover in different positions. Probably as good as each other in their respective positions

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Munster
    JVF - He could easily go from Irish starting 7 to 3rd choice for Leinster very quickly

Munster
    I think Leinster win by 5. Munster have strengthened their starting 15 and even with Snyman out they have a proper ball carrying threat in De Allende. But, their front 5 isn't particularly impressive which is where Leinster will hopefully make hay. Beirne is a good player, but if this game becomes an arm wrestle I don't think he'll square up well.

Where Munster could win though is at lineout and breakdown. Three very good poachers at lineout threats in PoM and Beirne. Leinster had the edge in the scrum last time round I think. If they can sort out their lineout things become difficult for Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Toner is obviously starting to address the line out issues. It was largely what kept Munster in the game last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

JVF - He could easily go from Irish starting 7 to 3rd choice for Leinster very quickly

I still think Josh is still probably first choice. I think he will start against Sarries but I could be wrong. Connors offers much the same as VDF except he is bigger but not as fit or fast. Interesting selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster
    For me Connors is there to shut down any fluidity in the Munster attack. We saw 2 weeks ago that if you put pressure on at source they struggle to put any great shape on their attack. Connors can use his line speed to disrupt very effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Munster
    Really looking forward to this.

Could be one of those defining games for Larmour at FB.
    I hope Munster kick it away all day down on him. It should benefit him in long run. Hopefully!

de Allende v Sexton should be another good match up. Sexton got ratty with him after de Allende came through a ruck at him.

Lineout will be a fascinating battle. Hopefully it can be a confidence builder for Kelleher.

& would like to see Beirne have a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

molloyjh wrote: »
    For me Connors is there to shut down any fluidity in the Munster attack. We saw 2 weeks ago that if you put pressure on at source they struggle to put any great shape on their attack. Connors can use his line speed to disrupt very effectively.

And who started that game at 7?

I think we have seen a selection with a view to the future and not necessarily the best performers so far this season. Otherwise how can he select Kelleher over Cronin and how can he select Larmour after having a mare in the air against Munster. He’s blooding youngsters and showing faith in them despite what should be a horses for courses selection.

No mention so far that munster haven't rotated their squad at all and have a 5 turn around. Could be gassed by 60 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

No mention so far that munster haven't rotated their squad at all and have a 5 turn around. Could be gassed by 60 mins.

Most player need 2/3 games to get up to speed after a long lay off.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Munster

have you got me on ignore?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Neil Francis
    yerrahbah wrote: »
    JOD has probably had his best season in a Munster Jersey.

Looking for a big performance from him

Yep, he's had such bad luck with injuries and watching the procession of backrow talent emerge at Leinster pushing him down the pecking order for an Ireland recall, now's your time Jacko! (Que: Eminen - Lose Yourself)

Up de Deise!!(I mean Munster :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have a bad feeling that Leinster are going to hammer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Munster
    If Leinster fix their lineout, I think they will.won comfortably. Their ability to create attacking opportunities is a lot better than Munster's presently. Without being gifted field position, I see Munster struggling to drive down and work a score.

Think it's a mistake also to not start Casey over Murray, his delivery helped out JJ immensely. Murray is back to his 2011 glacial worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling that Leinster are going to hammer them.

Sounds like a good feeling to me

Advertisement