Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isolating after a positive Covid Test-Rules

• 02-09-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Good afternoon

I am looking for clarity re the above. I am unclear what the rules are and surprisingly I don't feel the HSE Website is clear.

If you are tested as a close contact and get a positive result how long do you need to isolate for? I thought it was 14 days from the day of the positive test but the HSE Website only states

You’ll need to continue to self-isolate until both of these apply:

you have had no fever for 5 days
    it has been 14 days since you first developed symptoms

This to me is ambiguous as the person can say they have no symptoms and no fever and can therefore move about freely and return to normal activities?

Am I missing a piece?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Until BOTH apply. Seems clear enough. Take a positive test as being equivalent to a symptom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

It’s a minimum of 14 days, providing the last 5 of which you have had no fever. I’ve had patients who had to stay in isolation for up to 23 days as they kept having high temperatures intermittently. Essentially, if your body has not produced a temperature for 5 days, your active infection is over and you are unlikely to spread the virus further. You do however need to bear in mind that if you are gobbling paracetamol and ibuprofen, you could artificially suppress your temperature which would not be a good thing as you might think you are better when in fact you are not. So ideally it should be 5 days fever free without the use of antipyretics (Paracetamol and Ibuprofen).
    If you are asymptomatic, it’s 14 days from the day your swab was taken.

Advertisement