Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

An aside, look at the rake of cyclists in the Google Streetview. Always heartening!

524363.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,667 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

daragh_ wrote: »
    Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

Had a guy overtake me last night despite oncoming traffic and sandwiched me in between himself and the parked cars to my left.

But what really annoyed me was this was 5 seconds before a set of red lights that we both spent the next few minutes sitting patiently at anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had a Merc Van pull across me at a junction, I was going through the junction at about 35kmph, just behind a van that was doing 40kmph. Van pulled through in the braking space and I had to slam on and swerve right. Driver didn't hear me, look or acknowledge. Thankfully the Taxi behind me had also got the courtesy to leave braking space. Looks like we are back to school run madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Had 2 close passes within 6 minutes of leaving home today. Second one was a truck that squeezed me towards the ditch as he passed. Morons

dPCPx1.jpg

dPCiWF.jpg

First car has barely touched the white line with its wheels, the second one was worse than it looked as it was moving in towards me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

dPCiWF.jpg

That second pic looks like a poo-pants moment

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had 2 close passes within 6 minutes of leaving home today. Second one was a truck that squeezed me towards the ditch as he passed. Morons

https://iili.io/dPCPx1.jpg

https://iili.io/dPCiWF.jpg

First car has barely touched the white line with its wheels, the second one was worse than it looked as it was moving in towards me
    What exactly is the legal situation there in terms of overtaking a cyclist with an adjacent white line?
    Am I right in thinking it is not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What exactly is the legal situation there in terms of overtaking a cyclist with an adjacent white line?
    Am I right in thinking it is not allowed?

Not sure about that. Isn't the rule that you must not cross the white line. I've overtaken many on wide stretches of road on the motorcycle.

That is not to in any way say that the pictured overtake was legal never mind courteous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you must not cross the white line.
    9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

equally, you are not allowed dangerously overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

you must not cross the white line.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

equally, you are not allowed dangerously overtake.

It's like a dream to me, But I think I read, that, the relevant section there had been amended, but obviously I can't find it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a feeling there are exceptions where safe to do so but I too can't find it. Something along the lines of an "obstruction". Memory tells me that it must actually be an obstruction i.e. a moving cyclist or tractor wouldn't count, and even if a solicitor could argue it did, it must be clear and safe to do so i.e. unlikely on a solid white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,555 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from the ROTR (assuming they accurately reflect the law)

524792.png

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

From memory I think that's about right. IIRC there's even a speed below which you can overtake, something in the region of 25kmh. But my memory may be shaky on that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭standardg60

Blanchy90 wrote: »

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.
    I had to correct a guard once who thought it was fine to proceed straight from the right hand lane on a single lane roundabout!

IIRC there's even a speed below which you can overtake, something in the region of 25kmh.
    i suspect you'll have trouble finding that in the road traffic acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.

There is though. Otherwise we'd spend a lot of time waiting behind the likes of bin lorries etc

There is though.
    maybe not in law, though. unless you can find the discretion?

if you've a solid white line on a blind bend, i suspect the law wouldn't be kind to you if you made that overtake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Weepsie wrote: »
    5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

Ye to me an obstruction to traffic is a fallen tree, broken down car etc.

Peds get a special mention, fair enough.

Cyclists aren't an obstruction to traffic, they ARE traffic- so I fail to see what discretion items needed, fairly clear cut tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

TheChizler wrote: »
    If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

Same. Some situations it would be mad for a car to sit behind a cyclist where it is perfectly safe to overtake.

TheChizler wrote: »

ye - I'd even cautiously wave someone on if I was absolutely sure I could see clear in all directions (but can be risky if you cant and end up leading to an accident..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmm wrote: »
    ye - I'd even cautiously wave someone on if I was absolutely sure I could see clear in all directions (but can be risky if you cant and end up leading to an accident..)

I'd never wave anyone on, unless I was pulling in. If it's that clear and safe, they should be able to see themselves.

I've had it happen in the past where I've waved on traffic and it turns out there's a coach and they can't accelerate quickly enough to be safe. You don't want to be responsible for indicating to a driver to do something that leads to an accident.

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd never wave anyone on, unless I was pulling in. If it's that clear and safe, they should be able to see themselves.

I've had it happen in the past where I've waved on traffic and it turns out there's a coach and they can't accelerate quickly enough to be safe. You don't want to be responsible for indicating to a driver to do something that leads to an accident.

yep - and especially with dash cams etc - I don't recommend it. But I still do it from time to time. Or give a clear slowing down to let someone overtake if they are being a pain in the ar3e behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

buffalo wrote: »

I agree with this, and was told the same when learning to drive. I will leave a gap in traffic or whatever but I won’t ever wave anyone out.

On the other hand, I’ve been waved on by friendly drivers, on the bike and in the car, into the path of traffic, loads of times. Thankfully I’ve been alert to it each time.

Waves can be well meaning, but dangerous!

I have, however, waved drivers behind me on, when I’m on the bike and pulling in to let them pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,667 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was sideswiped this morning, not a close pass, actual contact with my hand/arm/shoulder by a pass just before a roundabout. Haven't looked at the footage, but will log this one with traffic watch shortly. I'm furious, the guy just drove through me. I did stay upright, and wasn't injured really but my shoulder was sore just after. I'm gobsmacked frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

You've a virtual zero chance of it being enforced here. Cameras pretty common in London for bus lanes abusers.

Advertisement