Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020 :Round 7 Belgium GP

Options
  • 27-08-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Welcome to Spa a weekend

image.png

Length:7.004 km (4.352 mi)
    Turns :19
    Race lap record :1:46.286 (Finland Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 2018)

Session
    1st Free practice - Fri 28 Aug 10:00 - 11:30
    2nd Free practice - Fri 28 Aug 14:00 - 15:30
    3rd Free practice - Sat 29 Aug 11:00 - 12:00
    1st Qualifying - Sat 29 Aug 14:00 - 14:18
    2nd Qualifying - Sat 29 Aug 14:25 - 14:40
    3rd Qualifying - Sat 29 Aug 14:48 - 15:00
    Race - Sun 30 Aug 14:10 - 16:10

Expected Weather Forecast :
    weather%20spa%202020.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Here is hoping Mercedes do not win this race.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Cannot see beyond them at the moment . in the dry they will blitz everyone on this track , just too much power.
    In the wet given what we saw LewisH do in a wet qual lap in Austria ( and I know each races is different ) , that was beyond another level .

I can only see a decent Mid field battle from Ablons Redbull back to Toro Rosso ..I mean Alpha Tauri . All those Cars ( Mclaren , Renault , Racing Point , Ferrari etc ) have been very even on Race pace . I do think this track presents some decent racing even more so after sleeping through Spain .

Bit of a strange Practice session , Didnt feel like there was much runnning.
    Ferrari stop doing laps very early on , they just did out laps and back in.
    Haas Didnt run , issues with both cars Engine related but not specified what it was , Kimi Only ran the Alfa towards the end . So lots of problems for the Ferrari powered teams . still From first to 12 is only a separated by 1sec

Pos Driver Team Gap
    1 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team 1m44.493s
    2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team 0.069s
    3 Max Verstappen Aston Martin Red Bull Racing 0.081s
    4 Sergio Perez BWT Racing Point F1 Team 0.136s
    5 Lance Stroll BWT Racing Point F1 Team 0.375s
    6 Alexander Albon Aston Martin Red Bull Racing 0.556s
    7 Esteban Ocon Renault DP World F1 Team 0.606s
    8 Carlos Sainz Jr. McLaren F1 Team 0.729s
    9 Daniel Ricciardo Renault DP World F1 Team 0.732s
    10 Lando Norris McLaren F1 Team 0.781s
    11 Daniil Kvyat Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda 0.954s
    12 Pierre Gasly Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda 1.010s
    13 Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN 1.211s
    14 Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari 1.266s
    15 Sebastian Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 1.686s
    16 Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing 1.995s
    17 George Russell Williams Racing 2.077s
    18 Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 Team -
    19 Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team -
    20 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN -

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Joeface wrote: »
    Cannot see beyond them at the moment . in the dry they will blitz everyone on this track , just too much power.
    In the wet given what we saw LewisH do in a wet qual lap in Austria ( and I know each races is different ) , that was beyond another level .

I can only see a decent Mid field battle from Ablons Redbull back to Toro Rosso ..I mean Alpha Tauri . All those Cars ( Mclaren , Renault , Racing Point , Ferrari etc ) have been very even on Race pace . I do think this track presents some decent racing even more so after sleeping through Spain .

Fair analysis but i'd take exception with the quali lap lewis did. The narrative was that it was an impossible lap and was beyond what any other driver could do as he went 4 tenths FASTER than his previous time and 1.2s faster than even Max. Something worth noting is that Max was on a similarly fast lap until he spun. He was also up on his last time by about 4 tenths too which would have put Hamilton about 8 tenths ahead of Max had max completed the lap without spinning - about the amount they were predicted to be ahead of Red Bull that weekend.

It's fine for a home media to create the narrative that the home boy is amazing and ignore any facts that might muddy the water - if it were an irish driver i'd imagine RTE would be doing the same. But we don't have to give in and go along with the same thing. They were both great quali laps, no doubt and Max failed to keep it on track which makes the end result more stark. But the coverage post quali was a bit of a contest of who could fellate Hamilton the most.

The old adage "don't let the truth get in the way of good story", take precedent in remembering this event

^^^ FFS^^^ , can we not have one Thread on an F-in race where some doesnt pipe in the the LH bull crap .It just spirals off into something else . there is a whole thread for that alone https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889570

• Advertisement

^^^ FFS^^^ , can we not have one Thread on an F-in race where some doesnt pipe in the the LH bull crap .It just spirals off into something else . there is a whole thread for that alone https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889570

Sure. I suppose you're referring to whoever posted this:

Yep , I wrote that , one sentence relative to the current weekend due to forecasted weather conditions and you decided to write a paragraph about how I should not be influenced by the narrative created by the media . You did all that cause I typed one Drivers name .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Only tuning in now. Are Ferrari struggling that much or are they pushing at all?

Pos Driver Team Gap
    1 Max Verstappen Aston Martin Red Bull Racing 1m43.744s
    2 Daniel Ricciardo Renault DP World F1 Team 0.048s
    3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team 0.096s
    4 Alexander Albon Aston Martin Red Bull Racing 0.390s
    5 Sergio Perez BWT Racing Point F1 Team 0.393s
    6 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team 0.418s
    7 Lando Norris McLaren F1 Team 0.424s
    8 Esteban Ocon Renault DP World F1 Team 0.464s
    9 Carlos Sainz Jr. McLaren F1 Team 0.730s
    10 Pierre Gasly Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda 0.856s
    11 Lance Stroll BWT Racing Point F1 Team 0.934s
    12 Daniil Kvyat Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda 1.082s
    13 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN 1.117s
    14 Kimi Raikkonen Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN 1.152s
    15 Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari 1.696s
    16 George Russell Williams Racing 1.719s
    17 Sebastian Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 1.939s
    18 Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing 2.030s
    19 Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team 2.090s
    20 Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 Team 2.498s

Yes Ferrari appear to be very very poor here .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Ferrari might struggle tomorrow to get into Q2. AS sauber is in front of them there seems to be a different underlying issue than the engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Harika wrote: »
    Ferrari might struggle tomorrow to get into Q2. AS sauber is in front of them there seems to be a different underlying issue than the engine

While it is obvious that Ferrari's issue isn't only the engine...all the Ferrari powered cars are at the bottom, in company of the Williams (whose problem we know is NOT the engine).

That points out to the Ferrari PU being not just down on power, but miles behind - I had never seen that kind of complete wipeout ever, not even during the V12s vs V8s era. Whatever the "adjustment" they needed to do, it absolutely killed their whole project.

And Monza's gonna be even worse...

Yep , I wrote that , one sentence relative to the current weekend due to forecasted weather conditions and you decided to write a paragraph about how I should not be influenced by the narrative created by the media . You did all that cause I typed one Drivers name .

Calm yourself.

This is it wrote: »
    Only tuning in now. Are Ferrari struggling that much or are they pushing at all?

I think they planned some fast runs at the end of the session but we're scuppered by the red flag. Listening to th life timing I heard LeClerc's engineer say they were going to do some low fuel duns but LeClerc said he wanted to do high fuel instead.

It seems that they're struggling but the Alfas improved at the end of the session and finished ahead of them. I expect ferrari to be significantly faster than the Alfas on actual pace. So I presume they struggled a lot and then didn't get to show their actual pace.

Vettel flat spotted both his front tyres on one corner. That suggests they're struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

As a Schumacher/Ferrari fan, seeing how bad the red team are right now is very tough to see.

What the hell were they doing with that unit last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Gintonious wrote: »
    What the hell were they doing with that unit last year...

cc660217ae92d1b312978eef20d93978e1099878.gifv

For such a change in pace over a year ( I saw on the F1 instagram that they are 1.317 slower this year compared to last), along with all the Ferrari teams being more or less Paddy last...it really must have been something powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Gintonious wrote: »
    For such a change in pace over a year ( I saw on the F1 instagram that they are 1.317 slower this year compared to last), along with all the Ferrari teams being more or less Paddy last...it really must have been something powerful.

We'll never know, but it's clearly not just something about the "fuel flow" or whereabouts, it's something that was rooted deeply in the design of the engine (maybe the electric unit?).

As I said, even when the Ford V8s were competing against the V10s and V12s from other manufacturers, and they were often as much as 150HP less powerful, they were NOT as hopeless as the Ferrari PUs look now. We're probably talking at "early-days-GP2-Engine-Honda" levels here.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    We'll never know, but it's clearly not just something about the "fuel flow" or whereabouts, it's something that was rooted deeply in the design of the engine (maybe the electric unit?).

As I said, even when the Ford V8s were competing against the V10s and V12s from other manufacturers, and they were often as much as 150HP less powerful, they were NOT as hopeless as the Ferrari PUs look now. We're probably talking at "early-days-GP2-Engine-Honda" levels here.

Not far off, and these next few races will show the gap even more...dark days for them.

H3llR4iser wrote: »

I don't think it's anything like as bad as that. The McLaren was about 4 seconds off the Mercedes pace in quali in Spa 2015. Today they were about 2 seconds off the pace. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow but I doubt it's even nearly as far off the pace as the bad days with honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm hoping Renault will remain fast for the rest of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Wow the ferrari is a dog. 17th and 20th in FP3.

Yeah its awful ,
    I know the traffic rubbish at the end of the session was bad but they were way way off .

Renault again showing pace ,

bd3271dd-b0f2-44fb-972a-54001d30a897_800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jesus, I know it's FP3, but that's pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Wow the ferrari is a dog. 17th and 20th in FP3.

Why are they behind Haas and Alfa?

F1 2020 would have invalidated Max's lap on about 4 different occasions there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like how the new tyres and shiney. Looks like melted butter is brushed on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Harika wrote: »
    Why are they behind Haas and Alfa?

They've managed to beat them in Q1. Not sure why they're struggling so much. There was talk of tyre issues yesterday but I feel like that's the default answer teams give when asked why they're struggling these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Beyond embarrassing for Ferrari.

The side by side lap comparison video between Ferrari laps in 2019 v 2020 is insane. Monza is going to be a complete sh1t show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cool_CM wrote: »
    The side by side lap comparison video between Ferrari laps in 2019 v 2020 is insane. Monza is going to be a complete sh1t show.

They won't get out of Q1 in Monza at this rate.

Advertisement