Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

richie123 wrote: »
    Prices in marts for any types of replacement stock bear no relationship whatsoever to factory price these days.
    It's absolute maddness what's going on

By replacement stock do you mean breeding females?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It certainly stands correct for stores.

Glad to see lads getting good prices in the mart but people seem dead certain that cattle are heading north of 4 a kg when bidding.

Though I've come to quickly realize that reality and the mart are not speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

No just replacing what was sold..
    I sold a good shot of Angus and Hereford heifers end of June... average around 1150.which wasn't too bad ..trying to buy back in but you'd need to hit close on 700 to buy similar types to sell in a year. margins are just so tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Can't understand where the money is coming from around the ring for all types of cattle.

Trying to replace a few store bullocks and 3 weeks now without any luck. Normally always pick up the odd one here and there, but the demand just seems crazy.

A lot of older farmers holding off selling, I think due to confusion over covid procedures at marts. All it takes is a slight drop in supply to make all cattle dear. End of year and wet land could see a complete reversal on prices.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

A lot of older farmers holding off selling, I think due to confusion over covid procedures at marts. All it takes is a slight drop in supply to make all cattle dear. End of year and wet land could see a complete reversal on prices.

Plenty grass up to now has improved confidence too. That's changing though with the rain and grass starting to melt back into the ground. Another week and fellas might start thinking about selling cattle before they have to get out the round feeders.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Friesian bull just under 30 months, 750kg, what should be expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

oxjkqg wrote: »

1.3-1.5/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

oxjkqg wrote: »

He should make between 1250 and 1300 in the factory. Work back from there

Cavanjack wrote: »
    He should make between 1250 and 1300 in the factory. Work back from there

I do not think he would make that in the factory if you had him with a bunch of cows he might get in at cow price by himself he will only make 2.6-2.8/kg. He kill about 50-52%. 1050-1150 in the factory I say. If he is really fleshy in the mart he make 1.5/kg looking at the online sales

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I do not think he would make that in the factory if you had him with a bunch of cows he might get in at cow price by himself he will only make 2.6-2.8/kg. He kill about 50-52%. 1050-1150 in the factory I say. If he is really fleshy in the mart he make 1.5/kg looking at the online sales

He has age so should kill at 390kg. An o grade bull is making round 3.40 I think. Should only be cut 10cent for overage if you’ve any relationship with an agent or factory. Leaves him at €1287.
    But yeah a one off in factory they’ll probably screw you

He has age so should kill at 390kg. An o grade bull is making round 3.40 I think. Should only be cut 10cent for overage if you’ve any relationship with an agent or factory. Leaves him at €1287.

He over 24 months so would be treated as a stock bull if send in as a single

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Covid did a favour to sellers, by forcing the marts to bring in online sales. The seller now has a better chance of getting a better share of the animals true value. Middlemen are being squeezed by the new system, as the online bidder has broken up the wink and a nod codology around the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

€2:40 is the price of him in our spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭minerleague

T0001 wrote: »
    Can't understand where the money is coming from around the ring for all types of cattle.

Trying to replace a few store bullocks and 3 weeks now without any luck. Normally always pick up the odd one here and there, but the demand just seems crazy.

Yeah and people buying will be the ones complaining next year that there's no money in farming:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

well if the prize winners in Gortalea last night leave money to the next man fair play.
    1650 & 1600 for 2 BB heifers, thought the CH winner was plain enough

Dozer1 wrote: »
    well if the prize winners in Gortalea last night leave money to the next man fair play.
    1650 & 1600 for 2 BB heifers, thought the CH winner was plain enough

Think it finished up near 2 am. Friend had a lovely roan lm heifer. March 20 290kg €1200.

Watching heavy older bulls selling there in Ennis. All bought by on-line bidders. One dealer at ring side opened a 2014 char bull weighing 1040kgs at 1100. Next bid on-line came in at 1600:D He sold eventually on-line at €1820.
    The dealers will be cutting internet cables before the year is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Anyone see any prices for good quality springers lately. Say limo or Simmental and due to calve in next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭50HX

Watching heavy older bulls selling there in Ennis. All bought by on-line bidders. One dealer at ring side opened a 2014 char bull weighing 1040kgs at 1100. Next bid on-line came in at 1600:D He sold eventually on-line at €1820.

Long may it last....long enough dealers were bullying their way ringside, nude....wink.....finger waving etc

Hope online stays, found it v handy for selling this year

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    Long may it last....long enough dealers were bullying their way ringside, nude....wink.....finger waving etc

Sooner it goes the better. Can’t get any value round the ring at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

50HX wrote: »

Our local auctioneer is a hoor to put pressure on you to sell in the sellers box. I have found online great that you can watch them sold from home and have a few moments to think before getting a phone call. It also allows you to get actual work done rather than arsing around a mart all day.

Bollix to it.

Online auctions have the ability to really change the game. However remember it is not the fitest, fastest or strongest that survive but rather those that adapt best.
    It will definitely put the lads hanging around the ring for 3-4 marts a weeks under pressure. However older buyers may struggle. I did 2-3 marts online last week. Now cattle at present are strongly priced compared to factory price. Not but sellers need every penny.
    One interesting thing is the market for finished cattle. Now demand is strong but if smaller finisher's start heading to the marts to sell processor's may find it hard to control prices. I could be quoting 3.6 of a base but paying 3.7 around the ring to fill contracts. But if there is a surplus of beef will it drive prices down.

However middle men will struggle to make a living. Johnny buying 10-12 cattle can now buy them over a few weeks and collect them that evening or early the following morning. He will not need to pay 15-20/head to Tom the tangler to drop the 12 cattle off to him. As well Ton the tangler will no longer have the ability to drop 2-3 that he overbid on to stop a lad up the back buying on Johnny. Friday and Saturday marts may be popular on line but value may be elsewhere. As well you can try to buy at any Martin a 60-100 Km radius.

However it's the ability to adapt. A PC on a fiber connection is way better than a mobile connection

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What's the story with lads walking around marts with phones whilst the sale is on &their viewing the online sale on phone and them in the same ring??????

These fellas are usually always moving around and not hiding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Why would any auctioneer accept a bid that was that low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

GNWoodd wrote: »

Must have been Matthew :D

Must have been Matthew :D

:):):):)

What marts could do now is open the bidding themselves online without anyone knowing. This would speed things up big time for them.

Or even a seller could put an opening reserve himself if he wished to do so. Nothing wrong with it. Seller would have to be realistic though. :rolleyes:

GNWoodd wrote: »

Here it is. It does sound like an opening bid of €1100.

https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/MartCatalogue?Mart=ENNIS&Op=detail&SearchAuctionDayID=0&SearchAuctionID=163526

• Advertisement

Advertisement