Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pandemic's effect on cancer patients.

Options
  • 27-08-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-08-26/i-feel-a-bit-let-down-coronavirus-costs-cancer-patient-survival-hope
    Adrian Rogers is one of the first of the many patients for whom, terribly sadly, that is now coming true.
    Mr Rogers has liver cancer and should have had an operation in early April.

Doctors cancelled it because of the risks of catching coronavirus in hospital.

Now he's been told his cancer is terminal.

Cancellation of surgery is much more likely to take the life of a cancer patient than the virus ever could.

So why have authorities on both sides of the Irish Sea not thought about cancer patients who urgently needed surgery to save their lives?

Which is more likely to kill - cancer or coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I suppose there's not enough medical evidence yet re: cancer vs. coronavirus, and I'm not an expert so won't be attempting to tackle the question in your last line of the OP.

But since you brought up the topic, I spoke to a friend yesterday who survived cancer a couple of years ago. He has to go for scans every 6 months now to ensure it's staying gone. He's had two appointments for scans cancelled (march and sept) and not rescheduled due to covid. They told him they'll just skip them and scan him in 2021. Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The other side of it is my father has had his treatment continue and even start on chemo through all of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Fat Lives Matter

This topic should be getting way more more attention, which it isn't unfortunately. It seems all that matters now a days is Covid etc. Cancer is a far bigger cause for concern. Disgraceful from our government and media!!

Advertisement