Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs being stolen in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Best to own a mongrel as I presume only pedigree breeds are desirable to the dognapper ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

...no, just hysterical looders posting pics everywhere of dogs, and white vans acting suspiciously...…

Fupping idiots ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mongrels have been used to bait fighting dogs & have been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

My dog's a mongrel, but she's as cute as fúck! I'd steal her if I didn't already own her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

greenspurs wrote: »
    ...no, just hysterical looders posting pics everywhere of dogs, and white vans acting suspiciously...…

Fupping idiots ….

Tell that to the families of Pippa, Charlie, Dora, Molly, Sally and many more stolen from their secure back gardens, even in one instance just after being let out for a pee.

We have a huge increase in vans and cars (of all colours) not from the area, not Irish registered in many cases, just snooping around. In some instances, they have a approached people about their dogs (that's a lovely dog, male or female, blah blah blah).

These people are up to no good and people are right to be suspicious of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I'm not one for believing things about vans going around but theft of dogs has clearly increased lately. Not sure why a minority are so above acknowledging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The dog Molly was stolen by a neighbour and sold on for a pittance to someone who could smuggle her out of the country. By the time Molly's family traced the connection the dog was already in the UK.

Agree that there can be pearl-clutching hysteria on social media but there is a nugget of truth and that nugget is that dogs are currency for the people who can take them and move them without getting caught.

I agree with those who seek tougher punishments for those who steal dogs. I know the dogs I've had over the years were considered part of the family and not just some dumb animals.

I also agree that in certain hard-hit areas that someone rightly or wrongly is going to catch a bullet if seen acting suspiciously or trespassing. I don't condone it, guns terrify me but they are legally held by many.

mud wrote: »
    The dog Molly was stolen by a neighbour and sold on for a pittance to someone who could smuggle her out of the country. By the time Molly's family traced the connection the dog was already in the UK.

Ive read Molly's owners indirect response to the local thief and it is very blunt, direct and cutting. It is clear they know exactly who it is.

This is the person who needs to be held accountable for Molly and where the laws need to be tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

anewme wrote: »
    Ive read Molly's owners indirect response to the local thief and it is very blunt, direct and cutting. It is clear they know exactly who it is.

This is the person who needs to be held accountable for Molly and where the laws need to be tougher.

Agree 100% They are in my locality and everyone knows who did what. It's very sad.

Large Garda Operation has resulted in seizing 32 stolen dogs in Swords. Monetary value of dogs seized reported to be in excess of 120k. Time for CAB to get involved in what is clearly organised crime.

• Advertisement

mud wrote: »
    Agree 100% They are in my locality and everyone knows who did what. It's very sad.

Would a group of locals not make sure they’d be terrified to ever do it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

I'm not one for believing things about vans going around but theft of dogs has clearly increased lately. Not sure why a minority are so above acknowledging it.

It's much the same reason why some people downplay the covid crisis or deny climate change. It gives them a feeling of superiority to be contrarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

I think part of this is there are 3 camps

1 normal rational who acknowledge it's happening
    2 people who disbelieve it completely
    3 overzealous people who take joy in scare stories about every white van/UK reg being around trying to steal anything they can lay their hands on.

It's much the same reason why some people downplay the covid crisis or deny climate change. It gives them a feeling of superiority to be contrarian.

There’s definitely a type on here that will scan a thread for the most popular opinion and then set up their stance as the opposite, no matter what it is. It’s like a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Large Garda Operation has resulted in seizing 32 stolen dogs in Swords. Monetary value of dogs seized reported to be in excess of 120k. Time for CAB to get involved in what is clearly organised crime.

A quick scan on Google Maps of the approximate area mentioned in The Journals story tells me there will be zero mention of the actual address they were seized from by mainstream media :pac:

https://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-dogs-seized-5183470-Aug2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Would a group of locals not make sure they’d be terrified to ever do it again?

It was a report by a local that got the raid to happen. You'd be hard pressed to terrify these people with violence, its what they do from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Just heard a small white van 152D reg in Bray area acting suspicious ....not sure if its to do with dogs but couple of people have said it has slowed down or stopped if it sees dogs.......might be nothing but sure be better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A quick scan on Google Maps of the approximate area mentioned in The Journals story tells me there will be zero mention of the actual address they were seized from by mainstream media :pac:

https://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-dogs-seized-5183470-Aug2020/

The actual address is a bungalow in a small cul de sac of 9 bungalows.

I wonder if Martin Collins would like to comment on yet another incident regarding our cultured friends.

The sooner travellers are treated as a criminal group as the evidence clearly shows, the better. Enda Kenny made a grave error in extending further rights this this shower of effers.

dennyire wrote: »
    Just heard a small white van 152D reg in Bray area acting suspicious ....not sure if its to do with dogs but couple of people have said it has slowed down or stopped if it sees dogs.......might be nothing but sure be better safe than sorry

Just make sure it’s on the Community Pages so people are aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Just make sure it’s on the Community Pages so people are aware
    Yeah the lady who told me this said she was going to do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ablelocks

*Mod Snip*

the dog was off his head on drink and tablets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It's the 2020 take on "Mind your kids there's a fella in a white van driving around and apparently he's a paediatrician".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ablelocks

maybe, but a couple of likely lads pulled up at my gate last week to "take a call" - our dog was inside at the time so they didn't see him. They were there for about 5 mins, until i took out my camera and went to the front door. never seen fellas jump so quickly into a van and they tore off down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Antares35 wrote: »
    It's the 2020 take on "Mind your kids there's a fella in a white van driving around and apparently he's a paediatrician".
    Only difference being one is hysteria, the other appears to be happening going by the increase in dog theft.

Only difference being one is hysteria, the other appears to be happening going by the increase in dog theft.

Maybe in some areas. Where I am it's the opposite problem - people dumping their dogs (and cats).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Maybe in some areas. Where I am it's the opposite problem - people dumping their dogs (and cats).

We should hook the 2 groups up. Lessen the dumping and the thefts in one move. Both are total scumbags so it could be a match made in scummy heaven.

Increase in Dog thefts are an Issue in all areas - every corner of Ireland and UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Dogs are being stolen but some owners are making it easy for them.One of my friend's neighbors had a husky they let in the front garden while they were away.And came back with him gone.

Increase in Dog thefts are an Issue in all areas - every corner of Ireland and UK.

All areas and every corner?

• Advertisement

We should hook the 2 groups up. Lessen the dumping and the thefts in one move. Both are total scumbags so it could be a match made in scummy heaven.

Indeed. I've lost count of how many pets I've taken in, rehabilitated and rehomed to others (try to avoid shelters where possible). Some people seem to think it's ok to stray their pets in the mountains - oh sure he will be frolicking with the rabbits etc. Morons. We even took in a pet rabbit a few years ago. Teeth were so long he was half starved. Who just dumps a f*cking pet rabbit?
    Another thing that's an issue on done deal and the likes is people selling or rehoming kittens. It's known these are used for baiting.

Advertisement