Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    This sounds great! I’ll check it out! But I doubt he’ll take it. FML

You also get it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Millem wrote: »
    You also get it too.

Do you have to work in the public sector or is it for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Do you have to work in the public sector or is it for everyone?

It’s for everyone.

bee06 wrote: »
    It’s for everyone.

O cool! Thanks!

O cool! Thanks!

Even though I do work in public sector it’s not getting topped up but still €245 x 2 weeks isn’t bad!
    Your OH could technically take 4 weeks! So that might help you re car seat.

• Advertisement

Even though I do work in public sector it’s not getting topped up but still €245 x 2 weeks isn’t bad!
    Your OH could technically take 4 weeks! So that might help you re car seat.

I may try my luck!! Thanks ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Does anyone have any experience with the new Maxi Cosi Tinca? From what I can gather it only just came out this year and is effectively the i-size successor to the Cabriofix. They are pretty light at 3.2kg and are a good bit cheaper than the Pebble Plus.

However because it is so new I can't find any reviews or information for compatibility with Buggies (specifically the Bugaboo Chameleon)

Any thoughts on the Doona infant carseat? It can fix
    Into an isofix and when you take it out can convert directly to a buggy with wheels. Looks quite heavy etc...
    But you wouldn’t need to be carrying it as the wheels just pop out when you take it out of car. Around €500 for the seat and isofix which is very expensive but thinking how handy it would be for school pick ups etc! What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Into an isofix and when you take it out can convert directly to a buggy with wheels. Looks quite heavy etc...
    But you wouldn’t need to be carrying it as the wheels just pop out when you take it out of car. Around €500 for the seat and isofix which is very expensive but thinking how handy it would be for school pick ups etc! What do people think?

It does sound handy for quick pick ups like school but babies should be lying flat where possible so personally I wouldn’t be happy to use it as my only buggy for the days you would have them in longer

No experience of it. Do you take off wheels for the car? If not it could get your car dirty? My kids wreck my car anyway tbf!

I don’t know if I said this before but would you not just use your maxi cosi and get like a super light stroller like a babylo scat....you would have to put baby into it or what about the uppababy minu and you just attach your maxi cosi?

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies. I have bought a bugaboo fox for our main buggy so this would literally be for school pickups.
    I have a lightweight stroller so will just prob end up using that with the adaptors. Ugh... it’s just all such a minefield. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another lockdown tho anyway at this stage so no pickups to be doing after all this worry! Lol

Thanks ladies. I have bought a bugaboo fox for our main buggy so this would literally be for school pickups.
    I have a lightweight stroller so will just prob end up using that with the adaptors. Ugh... it’s just all such a minefield. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another lockdown tho anyway at this stage so no pickups to be doing after all this worry! Lol

The covid numbers aren’t looking good!! Have you heard anything from the school re drop up and pick ups? My eldest has been at a lot of sports summer camps and most have been operating a drop and go system. You literally pull up but don’t get out of the car! A staff member takes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The covid numbers aren’t looking good!! Have you heard anything from the school re drop up and pick ups? My eldest has been at a lot of sports summer camps and most have been operating a drop and go system. You literally pull up but don’t get out of the car! A staff member takes them.

This would be a dream come true for me in the mornings! I’ve been saying for years they should be doing a drop and go at the door because parking is a nightmare

I actually had the kids home with me for the majority of the summer as I was worried they might bring something home. But I put them in gym and Lego camps the last couple weeks as just thought... sure they will be going to school in a few weeks anyway at this stage and the numbers were down. I had to get out of the car and bring them to the door but someone would collect them from the door.

The dance camp my girl is doing tomorrow starts at 9am and they have staggered drop off times every few minutes from 8.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 maisie_moo

Just delving into the world of carseats. Excuse my ignorance on the topic.
    I have heard of maxi cosi carseats...is this because they are the best/most popular/most compatible with various travel systems?
    There seems to be loads of different ones.. Pebble, pebble plus, cabriofix etc. How does one pick? What's the difference between them all?

Thanks so much in advance for any help that is provided :)

maisie_moo wrote: »
    Just delving into the world of carseats. Excuse my ignorance on the topic.
    I have heard of maxi cosi carseats...is this because they are the best/most popular/most compatible with various travel systems?
    There seems to be loads of different ones.. Pebble, pebble plus, cabriofix etc. How does one pick? What's the difference between them all?

Thanks so much in advance for any help that is provided :)

I think the pebble Plus is isize, but the others aren’t. There’s probably more differences too tho. The cabriofix is the most popular I’d say. It has the biggest shell so will last the longest. I’d say it’s also the cheapest, but stand to be corrected on that. Most travel systems Will have adaptors for maxi Cosi too.
    Some Maxi cosi bases will take an infant seat (Pebble I’d say) and then a next stage seat also, But most people I know have ended up having a second baby and needing to use the base again for that anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

My lads are coming up to the age of 4 now and still rear facing in a joie 360. They are 15 kg so well off the 18 kg limit for weight but I think they will reach the height limit sooner. What do you go into next after a seat like that?

One boy tries to take his arms out of the harness so I wouldn't be keen on moving to a seatbelt with him any time soon.

fits wrote: »
    My lads are coming up to the age of 4 now and still rear facing in a joie 360. They are 15 kg so well off the 18 kg limit for weight but I think they will reach the height limit sooner. What do you go into next after a seat like that?

One boy tries to take his arms out of the harness so I wouldn't be keen on moving to a seatbelt with him any time soon.

If you think you’d get the use, you could rear face them in 25 kg seats. I have a minikid, it’s a great seat. But I will say that my middle boy had to be turned around well before he hit the limit for it, because he was taking his hands out and half wriggling out of the harness So it was safer to turn him around and have him sit still. The britax two way elite is a more budget friendly rear facing seat. Both of those seats have long shells so would last a long time.
    Alternatively, you can forward face them in a 25kg harnessed seat. Its ages since I looked into it, I can only remember the joie bold and the Diono radian 5 as ff 25kg seats. I’m sure there’s more though.

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you think you’d get the use, you could rear face them in 25 kg seats. I have a minikid, it’s a great seat. But I will say that my middle boy had to be turned around well before he hit the limit for it, because he was taking his hands out and half wriggling out of the harness So it was safer to turn him around and have him sit still. The britax two way elite is a more budget friendly rear facing seat. Both of those seats have long shells so would last a long time.
    Alternatively, you can forward face them in a 25kg harnessed seat. Its ages since I looked into it, I can only remember the joie bold and the Diono radian 5 as ff 25kg seats. I’m sure there’s more though.

Thanks, some ideas there.
    We tried the minikid when we bought the Joie 360s, and it wouldnt fit behind drivers seat when my tall husband was driving. We have two Joie stages as well which the childminder used to use, so we could always transfer to those forward facing when they grow out of the 360s. I'll probably switch to forward facing on their fourth birthday.

The Joie 360s have been amazing though. Definitely recommend them for children in the lower centiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You could try the Britax TWE, it rear faces until 25kg. Lots of rear facing 25kg options. Try joining this group for advice on what seat would work with your car. They are a wealth of knowledge and expertise.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Lots of rear facing 25kg options.

Not in our car behind drivers seat unfortunately.

It’s hard to find the right fit when the front seat passengers are tall! The only thing I would say is that now that your kids are older, it might be easier because they can be installed more upright.

Ah right. But that fb page should be able to suggest one that would fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks, some ideas there.
    We tried the minikid when we bought the Joie 360s, and it wouldnt fit behind drivers seat when my tall husband was driving. We have two Joie stages as well which the childminder used to use, so we could always transfer to those forward facing when they grow out of the 360s. I'll probably switch to forward facing on their fourth birthday.

The Joie 360s have been amazing though. Definitely recommend them for children in the lower centiles.

Is it the Joie every stage you have? We’re seriously looking at one of those for when #2 arrives next month.

kylith wrote: »
    Is it the Joie every stage you have? We’re seriously looking at one of those for when #2 arrives next month.

No it’s the joie stages. It’s in Childminder’s car. Unfortunately she just changed car and it won’t fit rear facing so we had to turn them forwards. My boys are four in December. They still are rear facing in our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Getting to ready to use my besafe izi go again and can’t find the newborn parts, as in the wedge or pillow support. Anyone know if these can be bought separately? Google isn’t being much of a help! So annoying, won’t use the car set if I can’t get these.

cant26 wrote: »
    Getting to ready to use my besafe izi go again and can’t find the newborn parts, as in the wedge or pillow support. Anyone know if these can be bought separately? Google isn’t being much of a help! So annoying, won’t use the car set if I can’t get these.

https://littlepeas.co.uk/product-brands/besafe-spare-parts/

Incarsafetycentre ordered spare parts for me before. They didn’t have them on their site. I think it was €5 to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

https://littlepeas.co.uk/product-brands/besafe-spare-parts/

Incarsafetycentre ordered spare parts for me before. They didn’t have them on their site. I think it was €5 to post.

Thank you so much! That site has exactly what I need.

It’s ages since I researched this. Are there any new 25kg forward facing car seats? I can remember the joie bold, the diono and the cosy and safe one. Think I need to turn my 3.5 yr old, he’s wedged in his rf seat!

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s ages since I researched this. Are there any new 25kg forward facing car seats? I can remember the joie bold, the diono and the cosy and safe one. Think I need to turn my 3.5 yr old, he’s wedged in his rf seat!

What seat is he in and what weight is he? Lots of the 25kg seats last up to some children until they are 6 or 7 so you should have plenty of room in a 25kg rearfacing seat. The Axkid seats are great or the Britax TWE is a more budget friendly rear facing seat until 25kg and should have plenty more leg room than what he's in now.

Have you joined the rear facing fb page? They are a wealth of knowledge for seats and cars for your child depending on centiles. It really is much safer to rear face until at least 4 years of age or longer if they still haven't hit 25kg by that age.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/456353881062172

Advertisement