Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Handicap

• 21-08-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Just wondering when I submit 3 cards what my handicap should be. Playing in a par 72 course which I joined in May. Last few rounds I have been going around in 105-110 strokes with a handful of pars and bogeys but mainly double bogeys and only scratching the odd few holes. I had played maybe 10 rounds before I joined in May and have been playing 2-3 times a week all summer.

A friend of mine joined the same course in July and submitted the cards straight away and got a handicap of 22 going around in 110-115 strokes. He played with lads at a different course playing off 20 and 21 and reckoned they had nearly 20 strokes on him at the end.

I reckon his is far too low for his ability but what would I get based on my scores. I want my handicap to genuinely reflect my ability and I'm not going to be playing competitions this year anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

22 is too low for 110-115 strokes but the handicap secretary was likely concerned that he would improve quickly once he started playing often, and didn't want him rinsing everyone in consecutive competitions as he got cut. I think it's probably the wrong decision on the secretary's part but that was probably the logic. There is a procedure for him to be adjusted up by more than the usual 1 stroke per year if he continues to play at that level. I am not intimately familiar with it nor with how often it is routinely applied by handicap secretaries in various clubs.

Someone going around in 110-115 should be on a 30-32ish handicap in my subjective opinion. 105-110 should see you with a 26-28 handicap. I am literally pulling these numbers out of the air based on the handicaps I've seen and the performance of the players holding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

The number of strokes is irrelevant really.
    Max score on a hole is 7 on a par 4 so u have to round everything down to that.

If you have a decent number of pars on the card it will also influence the handicap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Think it's rounded down to double bogey actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

slave1 wrote: »
    Think it's rounded down to double bogey actually

Might be, thought it was net double.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Tempora wrote: »
    22 is too low for 110-115 strokes but the handicap secretary was likely concerned that he would improve quickly once he started playing often, and didn't want him rinsing everyone in consecutive competitions as he got cut. I think it's probably the wrong decision on the secretary's part but that was probably the logic. There is a procedure for him to be adjusted up by more than the usual 1 stroke per year if he continues to play at that level. I am not intimately familiar with it nor with how often it is routinely applied by handicap secretaries in various clubs.

Someone going around in 110-115 should be on a 30-32ish handicap in my subjective opinion. 105-110 should see you with a 26-28 handicap. I am literally pulling these numbers out of the air based on the handicaps I've seen and the performance of the players holding them.

I'd be happy enough with a handicap of 22-26 and it would probably take me a year or so to even play to that. But worried that if I do get a handicap it will be too low and take the fun out of playing when I am not competitive even playing with friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

mike12 wrote: »
    Might be, thought it was net double.
    Can't be net double if you don't have a handicap yet. The rule is now double par for all hole scores above double par.

To the OP, most golf clubs use software now that calculates handicap based on cards submitted. In my experience it's pretty accurate, but handicap committees obviously have the right to adjust these depending on the circumstances. Your friend may well have indicated that he had a level of experience that would mean (given time) that he'd be able to play to 22. He may also have had a combination of decent hole scores and a bunch of disastrous ones through bad shot choice or a wayward driver. There are lots of factors basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Quick (somewhat) related question. I played my first away open competition recently. Are all opens counting qualifying for handicap purposes? Will the away club ensure that this is added via golfnet or do I need to contact my own club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Quick (somewhat) related question. I played my first away open competition recently. Are all opens counting qualifying for handicap purposes? Will the away club ensure that this is added via golfnet or do I need to contact my own club?

Not all no. In winter most are not excepting links courses.

The club should update golfnet and your club will see if. It will be under un processed away scores

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Not all no. In winter most are not excepting links courses.

The club should update golfnet and your club will see if. It will be under un processed away scores

Ok cool, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Hi OP, I handed in three cards back in May of 94,92 and 86 and got a handicap of 10 when I was playing nowhere near to that. I expected the handicap committee to cut maybe 1 or 2 once they had worked it out, as mentioned here, they don’t want newbies winning competitions straight off the bat. All the new members I have played with since have said they felt they were given a lot lower handicap than they expected.

My last 7 rounds I have scored 27-30-30-31-29-24-28, which has really taken the enjoyment out of playing for me recently.

Everyone says it’s harder to come down to where your handicap is probably at that to go up, so keep that in mind when handing in cards. Realistically I’m about a 15 handicapper. Based on the current system it will take me another 4 years to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

JoeCole26 wrote: »

Everyone says it’s harder to come down to where your handicap is probably at that to go up, so keep that in mind when handing in cards.

What do you mean by the bit above OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

had a question on handicaps. when toting up the strokes for the round, what is a scratch worth? 10?

have two cards done, just need to do my final card but i have maybe 5 scratches on the two cards. i have maybe 6 or 7 pars and a birdie or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

had a question on handicaps. when toting up the strokes for the round, what is a scratch worth? 10?

have two cards done, just need to do my final card but i have maybe 5 scratches on the two cards. i have maybe 6 or 7 pars and a birdie or two.

Technically you are actually meant to play out each hole when compiling your 3 cards. But quadruple bogie would be a score that would put you out of the scoring equation regardless anyway as the max handicap you can be given is 54!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

so how do the non scoring holes affect the handicap given? they just chalk it down to quadruple bogey so an 8 on a par 4 and a 9 on a par 5?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I handed in three cards back in May of 94,92 and 86 and got a handicap of 10 when I was playing nowhere near to that. I expected the handicap committee to cut maybe 1 or 2 once they had worked it out, as mentioned here, they don’t want newbies winning competitions straight off the bat. All the new members I have played with since have said they felt they were given a lot lower handicap than they expected.

My last 7 rounds I have scored 27-30-30-31-29-24-28, which has really taken the enjoyment out of playing for me recently.

Everyone says it’s harder to come down to where your handicap is probably at that to go up, so keep that in mind when handing in cards. Realistically I’m about a 15 handicapper. Based on the current system it will take me another 4 years to get there.

On the current system you can only get back 2 shots a year, but new system due Nov 2 will resolve it for you. Before that you would have to ask specifically for a review, although you will probably find you are coming in the bottom half of the pack each comp but not right at the bottom with those scores...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Technically you are actually meant to play out each hole when compiling your 3 cards. But quadruple bogie would be a score that would put you out of the scoring equation regardless anyway as the max handicap you can be given is 54!

Speaking to a former handicap secretary about this as I just handed in my own three cards, he suggested a good way to think about it is mentally mark your card as a stableford round off a nominal handicap around where you think you’d be. So if you mark it off 18, and including the scratches you have 32 points that broadly suggests a 22 handicap round. It’s not perfect but gives you a ballpark at least.

I handed mine in, a 12 and a 13 over and a clusterf&ck round littered with doubles and scratches. Will be interested to see what I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Speaking to a former handicap secretary about this as I just handed in my own three cards, he suggested a good way to think about it is mentally mark your card as a stableford round off a nominal handicap around where you think you’d be. So if you mark it off 18, and including the scratches you have 32 points that broadly suggests a 22 handicap round. It’s not perfect but gives you a ballpark at least.

I handed mine in, a 12 and a 13 over and a clusterf&ck round littered with doubles and scratches. Will be interested to see what I get.

10 or 11 guaranteed nearly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Only the 12 over round will count, the other two are not used at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

I’d say a 9 handicap. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

copacetic wrote: »
    On the current system you can only get back 2 shots a year, but new system due Nov 2 will resolve it for you. Before that you would have to ask specifically for a review, although you will probably find you are coming in the bottom half of the pack each comp but not right at the bottom with those scores...

2 shots?
    Where do you play?

• Advertisement

Assuming that the 12 over round is not adjusted downwards by any hole score being greater than double par, the calculation is (and this assumes your course SSS is the same as par) (12 + (12 * 0.13))/1.237 = 10.96 rounded to a handicap of 11.

However, other things may be taken into account by the handicap secretary; such as your previous golfing experience, a past handicap that you provided them with etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Seve OB wrote: »
    2 shots?
    Where do you play?

Sorry, mistype..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Lads is there any special allowance this year due to courses being closed for a few months with regards losing your handicap by not playing enough? My understanding is that you have to play in at least 3 counting comps over a calendar year to keep your handicap. Was just looking over my own activity this year and I've only played in one counting singles comp so far. I seem to have played mostly in doubles/team comps and with a baby at home I'm not getting out very much anyway. Just wondering if I need to get the finger out and play in two more counting comps before the year is out or if it's relaxed because of the year that's in it. Also roughly speaking when do the counting comps stop? October?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Lads is there any special allowance this year due to courses being closed for a few months with regards losing your handicap by not playing enough? My understanding is that you have to play in at least 3 counting comps over a calendar year to keep your handicap. Was just looking over my own activity this year and I've only played in one counting singles comp so far. I seem to have played mostly in doubles/team comps and with a baby at home I'm not getting out very much anyway. Just wondering if I need to get the finger out and play in two more counting comps before the year is out or if it's relaxed because of the year that's in it. Also roughly speaking when do the counting comps stop? October?
    Thanks.

I don't think there has been any allowance made for it. I'd say play in two more comps just to be on the safe side. And was the requirement not changed to 4 cards? or is that just for interclub, or have I made that up?

Thanks.
    It's kind of been a perfect storm this year. Because we're changing over to the WHS, the advice has been to get as many rounds in so that your new WHS handicap index is as accurate as possible. You can use supplementary scores for this, but obviously they won't count towards your competition status. You need three qualifying scores in the current year to have competition status. For inter-club competitions run by the GUI, the requirement is usually four qualifying competitions in the previous calendar year.

Thanks for the replies lads. I'll be favoring singles comps instead of fourballs etc. over the next while so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Thanks.

I'm in a very similar situation, with lockdown and then localised lockdowns, I've only 1 counting round played. Could be a busy few weeks for me.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'm in a very similar situation, with lockdown and then localised lockdowns, I've only 1 counting round played. Could be a busy few weeks for me.

Looking back over my own playing activity and I can see I played in an away counting comp in Corballis in Jan 2019 so I'm guessing they probably have counting comps all year round there. Don't know where you are based but you could perhaps get in a couple of comps there as late as Christmas if you were still stuck in order to secure your handicap. You might see me out there with you. Pair of us in Santa hats hacking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭gypsy79

corballis is qualifying year round

My home course Elmgreen try do qualifying as much as possible for their opens. But last year had none nov till lockdown

But year before weather was much better and we had some more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Looking back over my own playing activity and I can see I played in an away counting comp in Corballis in Jan 2019 so I'm guessing they probably have counting comps all year round there. Don't know where you are based but you could perhaps get in a couple of comps there as late as Christmas if you were still stuck in order to secure your handicap. You might see me out there with you. Pair of us in Santa hats hacking away.

do they have to be at your home course though??

would definitely be up for a few rounds in Corballis though.

Advertisement