Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/sport/507721/kildare-gaa-green-light-for-st-conleth-s-as-capital-grant-funding-announced.html

Great news. Hopefully this will get moving now. Badly needed. Nothing positive to say about Conleths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

A decent win on Sunday without being particularly impressive some very decent performances the 2 Flynns in the forwards were impressive and some less than good performances Peter Kelly and Moolick come to mind also that miss from Fermanagh was possiblly the worst i've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Scoundrel wrote: »
    A decent win on Sunday without being particularly impressive some very decent performances the 2 Flynns in the forwards were impressive and some less than good performances Peter Kelly and Moolick come to mind also that miss from Fermanagh was possiblly the worst i've ever seen.

The don didnt give moolick much of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I imagine Barry judge wont be getting many valentines cards from any Celbridge stationery outlets over the next few weeks

To be fair ye have every reason to be angry about today, if brophey was still on the field late on he probably would have been yer go to man for an equaliser, or taken over from Adam tyrrell on frees

The one thing that stood out today about kildare is they offered us far too much respect, we could do what we wanted when we wanted, we were allowed play keep ball for nearly 4 minutes at the end of the game for example

There also seems to be a fear of shooting from the forwards in scoring positions, we have played each other a lot since 2016, today looked like the worst of them performances, Far too much reliance on Kevin Feely and not enough presence from the flynns up front

While we got the rub of the green from mr judge today he only gave us 3 frees in scoring positions, 2 of which we scored, keep an eye out for his next game, if its a division 4 game the referees assessors are punishing him if he gets another division 2 game or higher then then pat Fitzgerald was lurking around with a brown envelope.... He usually doesn't give money away that easily though :pac:

Hard luck today lads another great battle to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This crop of players have good talent but not mentally tough when the chips are down. At this stage of their county careers many of the experienced lads will not acquire the grit and determination to succeed.

We have some light in the U-20s coming through so should get better as the current crop begin to fall off.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This crop of players have good talent but not mentally tough when the chips are down. At this stage of their county careers many of the experienced lads will not acquire the grit and determination to succeed.

We have some light in the U-20s coming through so should get better as the current crop begin to fall off.

Theres a gulf in difference between u20 and senior intercounty. Small nippy corner forwards like Nash etc will seriously struggle at senior level. Out of the u20 squad i really think we might only get 3/4 lads to progress to senior.

Carrying to many players imo. Not sure if there are better in the county though. Jack Robinson isnt going to cut it at this level. Con Kavanagh also not good enough. Johnny Byrne and Peter Kelly passed it. We need to be beating Clare imo to be going up.

Carrying to many players imo. Not sure if there are better in the county though. Jack Robinson isnt going to cut it at this level. Con Kavanagh also not good enough. Johnny Byrne and Peter Kelly passed it. We need to be beating Clare imo to be going up.

I actually thought Kavanagh had a decent game. He was involved in a lot and workrate was good. A few of the experienced lads went missing v Clare. I thought Robinson's workrate was terrible. Time to let Jimmy start v Armagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I actually thought Kavanagh had a decent game. He was involved in a lot and workrate was good. A few of the experienced lads went missing v Clare. I thought Robinson's workrate was terrible. Time to let Jimmy start v Armagh

Jimmy has hamstring trouble. That's why he is being used sparingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Pathetic disgusting disorganised cowardly many of them not fit to wear the jersey are they actually doing anything in training? They look like a rabble dragged out of the pub 20 minutes before throw in tier 2 awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Tier 2 championship here we come

paulie21 wrote: »

Division 3 also. Shambolic.

JOC getting paid a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Think we need an overhaul few lads hanging in there that we should be shot of, or is there no one any better in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

mightyreds wrote: »
    Think we need an overhaul few lads hanging in there that we should be shot of, or is there no one any better in the county.
    Probably better in the county alright if they only bothered looking at players from some of the smaller clubs. It seems certain mediocre players get a game because of the club that they play for , where as a decent lad from a smaller club wouldn’t have a chance of getting a look in .
    I am well aware inter county is different than club football but I am sure most people posting here would see a lot better players week in week out at club games than what’s currently in the white jersey.

paulie21 wrote: »

dont worry we will probably end up dragging fermanagh down to division 3 with us :rolleyes: , but the kerry supporters are seriously sharp, and boy did they turn on o'connor in recent years he was involved with what has turned out to be some serious underage teams and struggled ,

i used to have an argument with a kerry supporter from o'connors club in foilemore that mike bassett could have won the 2004 all ireland had he been in charge of the kingdom :pac: he is doing nothing for kildare , the style of football is too negative for kildare

dont worry we will probably end up dragging fermanagh down to division 3 with us :rolleyes: , but the kerry supporters are seriously sharp, and boy did they turn on o'connor in recent years he was involved with what has turned out to be some serious underage teams and struggled ,

i used to have an argument with a kerry supporter from o'connors club in foilemore that mike bassett could have won the 2004 all ireland had he been in charge of the kingdom :pac: he is doing nothing for kildare , the style of football is too negative for kildare

Cian O'Neill,Jason Ryan, Geezer and JOC can't all be poor managers incapable of getting a decent performance out of players. Always seems to be an excuse and the players always absolved of responsibility.
    Unfortunately we lack any real leaders. Apart from Feely I cant see anyother lads willing to step up to the plate.

A real dog fight now to avoid the drop and i dont like the look of our lads body language or response when they go a few points behind in the second half.

I dont know if there is better in county though thats the thing. Players who have come through underage level just dont look good enough even playing for their club.

Cian O'Neill,Jason Ryan, Geezer and JOC can't all be poor managers incapable of getting a decent performance out of players. Always seems to be an excuse and the players always absolved of responsibility.
    Unfortunately we lack any real leaders. Apart from Feely I cant see anyother lads willing to step up to the plate.

A real dog fight now to avoid the drop and i dont like the look of our lads body language or response when they go a few points behind in the second half.

I dont know if there is better in county though thats the thing. Players who have come through underage level just dont look good enough even playing for their club.

a lot of counties are suffering the same fate in terms of underage , i dont think ye lack leaders ,feeley is an excellent all rounder , i still regard moolick as a top midfielder even though he is nearly finished , but playing a short passing will never suite the likes of Daniel flynn .

harr wrote: »
    Probably better in the county alright if they only bothered looking at players from some of the smaller clubs. It seems certain mediocre players get a game because of the club that they play for , where as a decent lad from a smaller club wouldn’t have a chance of getting a look in .
    I am well aware inter county is different than club football but I am sure most people posting here would see a lot better players week in week out at club games than what’s currently in the white jersey.

who are you seeing thats not in with them?. a lot of the monasterevan lads harp on about nash but i dont think hed cut it at senior intercounty.

The best players in the county are all in there bar McCormack and Dempsey who were both there last year (when we were equally as bad). As a team, they are fragile. Very hard to recall many tight games that they have seen out as a group. That game today was there for the taking going into the last fifteen minutes. Roscommon went after it with positive substitutions and ran at us. Two goals in that final quarter were their reward.

We were on top for most of the middle part of the game but the slow start made it a tough ask and then we looked to run out of steam at the end. Fitness has been an issue ever since McGahan left for Kerry. It's too easy to constantly blame management. O'Neill had good set ups with Roli and Enda Murphy and a good coach in Alan Flynn. O'Connor has one of the finest club managers in the county with him in Glavin and Bryan Murphy who knows the underage inside out.

I don't think we have enough players capable of playing at a higher level consistently and mid Division 2 is probably our true level. Some of our better players from recent years look like they are on the decline.

We need to get tyrell on as much ball as possible. Hes better than flynn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Have the players alright. They just don't have the mentality, intelligence or attitude to improve themselves. There's no way they are bad players, Leinster and AI winners galore at underage but for whatever reason they can't make the transition over to senior. I don't think JOC is the man either. Tom Cribbin? Bryan Murphy? Ross Glavin? Give me a break.

Pains me to watch Kildare these days and dreading the trip to Portlaoise next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

What happened to Jimmy Hyland?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

thesultan wrote: »
    What happened to Jimmy Hyland?
    He came on with about 15 minutes to go against Roscommon but didn't do much.

I think it's fair to say he's finding the step up to senior inter county level a tough one. At his best, he's sharp and very accurate but he's only a small fella and not particularly quick and he gets bottled up too easily. He's not really suited to the slow, heavy pitches at this time of year.

I still think he can do damage in the summer if he got the right ball but Kildare could be playing Tier 2 football at that stage the way things are going.

Good win away. Should see us safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Yep should of been by a bigger margin too think heard someone in the stand say 15 wides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Good win away. Should see us safe.

Regarding the last sentence I think that my own county 's win against Cavan today might have changed that view smelly sock 're safety from div2. Huge wins for Kildare, Roscommon and Clare. Will go right down to the wire in this unpredictable of all divisions.

The difference in attitude today from the previous few matches was night and day. Bring the same fight to the next two which are both at home and we'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

TG4 are showing Kildare v Meath 1997 (Leinster semi first replay) at 2.05 today. An epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone know what the league and championship format will look like this year presume they will drop the league splitting into 2.

Heard it will be 2 league games followed by 3 championship but that's about all so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

So lads, what do you think will happen to your championships with the restrictions likely to be extended in Kildare for another 2 weeks minimum? Will they just void the whole thing?

Advertisement