Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lundstram wrote: »
    Get over it. This isn't the Premier League. :rolleyes:

He's the best ref in Kildare so that's why he was chosen. Excellent again today.

Oh i see. He commented on a North Kildare Club. Fair game so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Oh i see. He commented on a North Kildare Club. Fair game so.
    Again he's allowed comment on whatever he likes. He has no contract with Kildare GAA for such things. Think you're thinking of EPL referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

1-21 to 0-20 win. Nearly threw away 9 points lead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

We got really complacent and sloppy after the second half water break. We played some nice football for long spells but should have been more clinical with our goal chances when we were on top.

Darragh Kirwan justified his selection and looks a good prospect and Jimmy looked sharper than he has done for 18 months or so.

It looks like we will need another result next week. There are more important things in life than football but it's great to have the county team back for however long it lasts.

0-9 for Jimmy Hyland. Hopefully that kickstarts his senior career with Kildare. A joy to watch when on form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Full forward line looked really good today if only we had more time to shore up the defence we'd be in really good shape.

I was sure we'd go down, now with a lot of luck from clare we could end up going up. Unless it's head to head here.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Only saw the second half of the game but was very impressed with the full forward line.
    Darragh Kirwin contributed a huge amount in linking up the play between the full forward line and runners coming in.
    With the full forward line playing so well the competition for spaces there will be ferocious which is brilliant to see.
    It would be interesting to see if Daniel Flynn moving out to wing forward (provided his injury clears) is an option Jack considers. He is unstoppable when he runs from deep so it wouldnt be the worst shout.

Am I right in saying that provided Cavan and Clare win by the bare minimum and we beat Westmeath, we will go up on score difference?
    But if only Clare and Kildare win and are tied on 8 points, Clare will go up in the head to head?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

La Bamba wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that provided Cavan and Clare win by the bare minimum and we beat Westmeath, we will go up on score difference?
    But if only Clare and Kildare win and are tied on 8 points, Clare will go up in the head to head?

I think that's right. We need Clare to beat Armagh to keep Armagh on 7 points and then Cavan to beat Roscommon because Clare would beat us on the head-to-head if only the 2 teams were tied on 8 points. And us to win obviously!

It's unlikely everything would go our way. I'd settle for us to beat Westmeath and have a bit of momentum for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

La Bamba wrote: »
    Only saw the second half of the game but was very impressed with the full forward line.
    Darragh Kirwin contributed a huge amount in linking up the play between the full forward line and runners coming in.
    With the full forward line playing so well the competition for spaces there will be ferocious which is brilliant to see.
    It would be interesting to see if Daniel Flynn moving out to wing forward (provided his injury clears) is an option Jack considers. He is unstoppable when he runs from deep so it wouldnt be the worst shout.

Our backs were very loose. Killian Brady struggled badly at full back. Usually our best player Padraig Faulkner would be full back but we were missing probably our first two choice midfielders, Thomas Galligan & James Smith, so Faulkner was needed out at midfield.

Some media in Cavan saying we were unlucky not to get a draw but I wouldn’t agree. You took your foot off the pedal and took points when goals were clearly on.

I can’t see results going your way this weekend. We’re in real trouble ahead of the Roscommon game. We’ve a huge number of players missing and we’re in danger of going from Division 1 down to 3 in two years.

I’d also expect Armagh to beat Clare. Where we messed up was losing to Clare at home. You have to be winning that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Our backs were very loose. Killian Brady struggled badly at full back. Usually our best player Padraig Faulkner would be full back but we were missing probably our first two choice midfielders, Thomas Galligan & James Smith, so Faulkner was needed out at midfield.

Some media in Cavan saying we were unlucky not to get a draw but I wouldn’t agree. You took your foot off the pedal and took points when goals were clearly on.

I can’t see results going your way this weekend. We’re in real trouble ahead of the Roscommon game. We’ve a huge number of players missing and we’re in danger of going from Division 1 down to 3 in two years.

I’d also expect Armagh to beat Clare. Where we messed up was losing to Clare at home. You have to be winning that game.

I thought we could have beaten ye by 10 points if the lads had of went for the jugular but alas theres not really a ruthless streak in Kildare. Your full back was poor in my eyes and gave kirwan far too much room. Our own full back line was middling also. Id like to see Luke Flynn in there

• Advertisement

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    I thought we could have beaten ye by 10 points if the lads had of went for the jugular but alas theres not really a ruthless streak in Kildare. Your full back was poor in my eyes and gave kirwan far too much room. Our own full back line was middling also. Id like to see Luke Flynn in there

He’s not used to playing full back. Faulkner is our normL full back or Killian Clarke.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    He’s not used to playing full back. Faulkner is our normL full back or Killian Clarke.

We still should have beaten ye by far more

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    We still should have beaten ye by far more

I didn’t disagree with you and I initially said ye went for points when goals were clearly on.

I was merely offering reasoning as to why our FB line was poor.

Much tighter game on Saturday than the previous week. I think Westmeath had half an eye on their upcoming match with Dublin and set up accordingly.

Mick O'Grady put on an excellent performance and outscored Heslin from play. Good to see Mark Dempsey back especially with Peter Kelly's recent retirement. Full forward line continues to move well and both Robinson and Flynn are back training. We look in a better place than we were back in February.

Much tighter game on Saturday than the previous week. I think Westmeath had half an eye on their upcoming match with Dublin and set up accordingly.

Mick O'Grady put on an excellent performance and outscored Heslin from play. Good to see Mark Dempsey back especially with Peter Kelly's recent retirement. Full forward line continues to move well and both Robinson and Flynn are back training. We look in a better place than we were back in February.

Who do you see in ff line in championship

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

The 3 lads who played on Saturday have played well in the last 2 matches so I’d see no reason to change it. If Daniel Flynn is fit he could start on the half-forward line or come off the bench if he doesn’t have 70 minutes in him. Would be good to see Jack Robinson get over his injury problems and be an option. With Neil Flynn there as well, we have good competition for places there which is what we need.

If Dan Flynn is fit we would be mad not to start him. Other teams will fear him on reputation alone and that should free up space for some other forwards. If Kirwan keeps his place at 14, Flynn could be moved out the field to add a bit of pace and mobility around the middle.

Robinson will probably take a while to adapt to senior football. Take Jimmy Hyland for example, he looks a different player compared to last year with the experience under his belt. I think McCormack is a nailed on starter although Neil Flynn has looked sharp in his two cameos. Brophy has done well in more of a playmaking role. It's an exciting forward line at the moment. Building a strong defence looks like the challenge facing JOC over the next few weeks and into 2021.

Anyone fancy taking a stab on the starting team for Championship?

Hard to see Jack deviating from a team too much which has won two games on the bounce.
    Daniel Flynn wasn't named in the 26 last week so Im assuming he may be a bit off it yet?
    My own preferred team would be as follows:

Mark Donnellan

Shea Ryan
    Mick O Grady
    David Hyland

Fergal Conway
    Con Kavanagh
    Kevin Flynn

Kevin Feely
    Tommy Moolick (Although he hasn't been getting a lot of gametime, I believe he is ideal for Winter football)

Liam Power
    Paddy Brophy (Seems to have reinvented himself in this role- great to see)
    Paul Cribbin

Ben McCormack
    Darragh Kirwin
    Jimmy Hyland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Flynn is back training

Donnellan
    Ryan
    O Grady
    Doyle
    Dempsey
    D Hyland
    K Flynn
    Feely
    Masterson
    Conway
    Brophy
    D Flynn
    McCormack
    Kirwan
    J Hyland

Id have every flynn available in the team lol

Mark Donnellan

Shea Ryan
    Luke Flynn
    Mick O Grady

Con Kavanagh
    David Hyland
    Kevin Flynn

Kevin Feely
    Fergal Conway

Paddy Brophy
    Dan Flynn
    P Cribbin

Neil Flynn
    Darragh Kirwin
    Jimmy Hyland

• Advertisement

Team Named:

Mark Donnellan

Darragh Malone
    Shea Ryan
    Mark Dempsey

David Hyland
    Con Kavanagh
    Kevin Flynn

Aaron Masterson
    Kevin Feely

Fergal Conway
    Ben McCormack
    Paddy Brophy

Daniel Flynn
    Darragh Kirwan
    Jimmy Hyland

Very interesting looking forward line.
    I wonder will Dan Flynn be brought out to the Half forward line to free up space inside and run in to receive lay offs of Kirwan?

Also a very new look full back line (due to injuries I'm guessing) however its an area we are light in so its great to give new guys championship experience for the coming years.

I'm going for a 10+ point win here for Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Those are 6 lethal forwards the best we've had for many a year. Normally i'd be looking forward to being up early Sunday sink a few pints locally then on the bus down few pints before the game and then hopefully a good session after to celebrate victory it's genuinely bittersweet having championship and not being able to go.

The full back line is very light on experience and Offaly have a decent full forward line. That would be a concern.

We have picked plenty of big ball winners around the middle of the field so if we dominate possession we should be ok. I can see Flynn (if he starts) rotating with McCormack. Brophy and Conway will drop deeper looking for breaks.

Should start Luke Flynn at full back. Mcnamee wont like him as he is a big hardy buck and will break forward with the ball. Its not McNamees game to track his man. serious talent from half back on in that team and the likes of Neil Flynn, Paul Cribbin etc on the bench. Rip to Neil Flynns father who passed away during the week.

Would prefer Conway in the middle in place of Masterson with Paul Cribbin on the wing. Masterson has never impressed me.

Niall McNamee has been some servant to Offaly football, 35 and still their go to man.

Think we'll win but there'll be no hammering. Kildare by 5.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Would prefer Conway in the middle in place of Masterson with Paul Cribbin on the wing. Masterson has never impressed me.

Niall McNamee has been some servant to Offaly football, 35 and still their go to man.

Think we'll win but there'll be no hammering. Kildare by 5.

Agree Regarding Masterson. He doesnt work hard enough.
    If we dont beat them by more than 8 id be very disappointed.

McNamee is a very good forward in fairness to him. I was a few years behind him in School and remember he was playing senior intercounty before even finishing the Leaving Cert. Great that he pulled himself back from the gambling issues and is going well with his clothing company.

I have heard in the past that Luke Flynn doesn't want to play at full back.

Shea Ryan was Sarsfields go to man for marking Roli Sweeney over the last few years so he shouldn't be found wanting physically anyway.

I have heard in the past that Luke Flynn doesn't want to play at full back.

Shea Ryan was Sarsfields go to man for marking Roli Sweeney over the last few years so he shouldn't be found wanting physically anyway.

He played at fb for jtb this season

Well done Neil Flynn. He effectively saw Kildare home this evening after burying his father yesterday.

• Advertisement

Well done Neil Flynn. He effectively saw Kildare home this evening after burying his father yesterday.

What a man. Incredible courage from him. Something that will never be forgotten.

Result and performance pales in comparison to his achievement this evening.

Advertisement