Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this pandemic affect all people and professions equally?

Options
  • 18-08-2020 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭

I was struck by something someone said recently. They are of the opinion that we should get back to normal and that people like them should cocoon.
    They said that it's a sacrifice they were willing to make as they are older and more vulnerable.
    This person has the means to do this but I was struck by their response when
    I asked "what about those who are vulnerable and have to go to work?"

I asked "is that fair?"
    Their response was "Life is not fair"

It's relatively easy for those who can work from home. Reality from 1918 pandemic is that people who work
    in jobs that require interaction with public suffered far more proportionally and I suspect covid is similar. Is there anything we can do to redress this balance?

Are all people professions equally affected by coronavirus and restrictions etc 27 votes

Yes
    100% 27 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely no way. Professionals and people who can work from hone in no way effected really. I’m in the category myself thank god but it’s a little nauseating to hear sone colleagues pontificate about Covid when it didn’t cost them a red cent in their pockets really.
    Certain industries like retail, leisure, events, beauty etc were completely fcuked over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I was struck by something someone said recently. They are of the opinion that we should get back to normal and that people like them should cocoon.
    They said that it's a sacrifice they were willing to make as they are older and more vulnerable.
    This person has the means to do this but I was struck by their response when
    I asked "what about those who are vulnerable and have to go to work?"

I asked "is that fair?"

road_high wrote: »
    Absolutely no way. Professionals and people who can work from hone in no way effected really. I’m in the category myself thank god but it’s a little nauseating to hear sone colleagues pontificate about Covid when it didn’t cost them a red cent in their pockets really.

I may be wrong, but I think OP is talking about the people who are vulnerable to the virus who must expose themselves to it by the nature of their job. Their risk will go up the more the virus spreads. Others can avoid this because they can work from home or they don't need to work.

Your idea (going back to March I think) of just ignore this virus, actions to mitigate it are wrecking the economy and costing people's jobs so open it all back up full speed ahead + let the chips fall where they may would appear to increase the danger such people are in.

Not sure if it can be avoided. Can only reduce the harm for such people by limiting the spread of the virus, (or letting people 'cocoon'), as far as I can see. I suppose you could have a government policy of allowing such people to take paid leave to keep them out of the workforce (maybe supported by a govt. payment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Of course it doesn't impact everyone equally. While some are able to work from home safely, some people like musicians/bar staff etc have had their industry decimated. Those jobs may not come back. Others are working in risky environments exposed to the virus.

I don't know what we can do about it tbh other than put in supports for people whose industry doesn't exist at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

road_high wrote: »
    Certain industries like retail, leisure, events, beauty etc were completely fcuked over

Yeah I agree with all of that. It's one thing saying we are all in it together but we are not really. The longer this goes on the worse it gets.

I should have explained than my main issue was with those who can afford to isolate and those who can't. Whether that be because of a person's profession or their means.

Some industries are screwed and will be for the foreseeable.

**** situation. I do believe only way out of it is to be united. The old vs young, rural vs city etc is getting very tiresome. I've resigned myself to fact autumn / winter will be a write off but I'm worried for next Autumn. There is no guarantee for a vaccine but we don't sort our **** out soon it's going to be never ending.

I can thankfully work from home, so I haven't been hugely financially impacted yet, but I fully expect I will have to take a hefty pay cut next year, and probably more over the next few years, and I am by no means wealthy as it is. Just getting by.

So there is plenty more pain to come. This is a long way from over, so I don't think the full impact can be measured, just yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement