Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDSIES DECIDE: Best Song Ever By Black/Partly Black Music Act.

Options

Comments

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Amazing artist. Amazing song

Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    One of the best songs left in comp IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On - As I mentioned earlier I'm not the biggest Supremes fan, but obviously I know and love the Kim Wilde cover, so I will vote for them
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) - Two great songs I will vote for James Brown. A couple of years before he passed I saw him live and even at that age he was a great presence on stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - I prefer the other Supremes song in the list
    Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - love how chill this song is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay: This is the best of the bunch. I'm backing Otis all the way.

Same please. Just something real smooth and laid back about that song, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

First to 7 votes.

The Ronettes Be My Baby 6-5 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  
    Prince When Doves Cry 7-4  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 3-7 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer 4-4 The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On  
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 4-5 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

Voting closes 6.31pm

Please give a reason or your vote won't count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

James Brown, because I feel like evening things up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - what legendary diva voice, respect forever and ever and ever

Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay   - such a nice mellow tune

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer 5-4 The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On  
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 5-6 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

Only 3 minutes left. Has JP Liz V1 decided proceedings or is Diana Ross out there reading and ready to save her last chance?

James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 5-6 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

Diana Ross, the artist with most songs in the comp, is gone for good.

Last 16 Results

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  6-4 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  5-3 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  
    Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4-5 Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight
    The Ronettes Be My Baby 6-5 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive 
    Prince When Doves Cry 7-4  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 3-7 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 5-6 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay

• Advertisement

Quarter-final time, last matches of the day, going to leave it open for a while to give everyone a chance to vote.

First to 8 Votes or, failing that, most votes by 12pm tomorrow.

Quarter-Finals
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World v Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  v  Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay

Prince  When Doves Cry v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine v The Ronettes Be My Baby

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World v Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  v Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Prince When Doves Cry v  Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

First to 8 Votes or, failing that, most votes by 12pm tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Eagle Eye Cherry. Better more upbeat song.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - legendary diva, powerful voice, uplifting tune

Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - a tune you could listen continuously on repeat

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - catchy infectious

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - a true classic tune, unique voice

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine v Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Prince When Doves Cry v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

I prefer the above songs.

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Us sisters gotta stick together.

Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Im with the purple one. This is my fave tune left.

Prince When Doves Cry
    It’s one of his best songs

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    I love a bit of Marvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - she has an incredible voice
    Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - two great songs but I prefer this slightly
    Prince When Doves Cry - best song by a legend
    The Ronettes Be My Baby - nice song with good harmonies, love the intro

Marvin Gaye, easily the best song left in the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Both great, coin toss :D

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine v Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Probably my two favourite songs left, going with Bill, really like the strings in it.

Prince When Doves Cry v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight
    Not a fan of the Prince song and I always liked this.

Marvin won the best of the 60s contest (California Dreaming should have really) so going with The Ronettes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer ; quite simply Aretha Franklin is better than James Brown, and I Say A Little Prayer is her best song

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine ; much much better song, one of the best (if not the best) left in the tournament, not crazy about the other

Prince When Doves Cry ; nothing against Save Tonight, but this is the far superior song and would be a worth winner of the entire tournament, quality tune from start to finish

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine ; said earlier that I didn't necessarily want to see this win another tournament, but as it is a cracking tune, and currently up against a song I'm fairly indifferent to, so getting my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - Such a great song, another one that I have associated with a great film, My Best Friend's Wedding.
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine - An amazing song, and the lyrics tell a lovely story that I can relate to
    Prince When Doves Cry - the better song by far, by one of the best artists of all time.
    The Ronettes Be My Baby - Great Phil Spector sound, and lovely vocal performance.

• Advertisement

Ain't No Sunshine

Easily the second best song left in the contest

James Brown

Quite simply, I find the other one a bit over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World - wouldnt be a fan of either of these but just perfer this one more
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine - again, not partial to either but this one shades it

These last 2 pairings are cruel, but I know how these works. :)

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - This is a great tune and I just remember it more when it was released. Excellent promo video also. As I said already, Im not really a Prince fan, but that was probably his song in this contest.
    Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Love both these song but this one is in a league of its own imo. Would be a worthy winner for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - I love both songs but have to vote for this one, one of her best songs.

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine - the ultimate easy listening, relaxing tune that never gets old.

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - a absolute bop of a one hit wonder - great song.

The Ronettes Be My Baby - great girl group and another great song with lovely vocals.

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World

"I Say a Little Prayer" is a great song but I honestly don't think Aretha's version is the "definitive" one - her vocal performance on other songs is better. Lots of competent singers can do a credible version of "I Say a Little Prayer", but nobody can do "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" like James Brown.

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine

Two good songs but am going for the one that doesn't end with an annoying whistling bit.

Prince When Doves Cry

I do really like "Save Tonight" but it's just not as influential as this Prince classic was.

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

This should be the overall winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World v Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - Beautiful song, both lyrically and musically and great performance. Honoured to give the eighth vote hopefully!

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine v Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Lovely easy listening happy tune.

Prince When Doves Cry v Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - It's a passable Prince song, but I prefer it to the other option.

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine v The Ronettes Be My Baby - Lovely vocal harmonies. By my count, Marvin has it but I don't mind - it was a tough decision.

Edit: actually, I think Marvin has 7 votes which means The Ronettes are still in it! However, it looks like that not only did I push Aretha over the line but I also pushed Bill over the line!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World - as I mentioned previously, I don't like Burt Bacharach songs and Aretha has much better than I Say a Little Prayer.

Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - iconic song and again the opposition isn't that singer's best song.

Prince When Doves Cry - I think Eagle Eye Cherry has done well to get this far, but his time has come to bow out.

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Creedence do a great cover, but this is the definitive version of the song. I never get tired of hearing it.

Results
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World 4-8 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  8-4 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine 8-5 The Ronettes Be My Baby

Score

Prince When Doves Cry 7-6  Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

Please give a reason or your vote won't count. Voting closes 12pm.

Fun Facts

James Brown It's A Man's Man's Man's World
    This song was recorded as if it was a sermon. It lists man's life enhancing inventions, but the singer admits he would be nothing without a woman. Brown developed the impassioned ballad from some lyrics written by a woman, Betty Newsome. Her words were derived from the Bible and her observations of some of her ex-boyfriends, including the Godfather of Soul himself.

This was originally called "It's A Man's World', but James Brown added the extra words to the title as a reference to the 1963 hit comedy It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Brown had been working on this song for years; the singer Tammy Montgomery (later known as Tammi Terrell, who featured earlier) recorded "I Cried" in 1963, which sounds very similar. Brown dated Terrell and was accused of beating her.

James Brown recorded 17 singles that reached number one on the Billboard R&B charts.He also holds the record for the most singles listed on the Billboard Hot 100 chart without ever reaching number one.

He ranked seventh on the music magazine Rolling Stone’s list of its 100 greatest artists of all time. Rolling Stone has also cited Brown as the most sampled artist of all time.

Otis Redding Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay
    Redding died in a plane crash on December 10, 1967, a month before this song was released (January 8, 1968) and three days after he recorded it. It was by far his biggest hit and was also the first ever posthumous #1 single in the US. The plan was to use background singers on this track, possibly the Staple Singers, but when Redding died there was no time for that. Redding wrote this soon after listening to The Beatles album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which had just been released. Shortly before he started recording "Dock of the Bay," Redding alluded to it as an extension of the Beatles' music. In 1966 and 1967, Redding performed "A Hard Day's Night" and "Day Tripper" at some of his concerts.

Stax guitarist Steve Cropper wrote this with Redding. In a 1990 interview on NPR's Fresh Air, Cropper explained: "Otis was one of those kind of guys who had 100 ideas. Anytime he came in to record he always had 10 or 15 different intros or titles, or whatever. He had been at San Francisco playing The Fillmore, and he was staying at a boathouse (in Sausalito, across the bay from San Francisco), which is where he got the idea of the ship coming in. That's about all he had: 'I watch the ships come in and I watch them roll away again.' I took that and finished the lyrics.

If you listen to the songs I wrote with Otis, most of the lyrics are about him. He didn't usually write about himself, but I did. 'Mr. Pitiful,' 'Sad Song Fa-Fa,' they were about Otis' life. 'Dock Of The Bay' was exactly that: 'I left my home in Georgia, headed for the Frisco Bay' was all about him going out to San Francisco to perform."

Cropper explained the whistling: "If you're an Otis Redding fan you'd know that he's probably the world's greatest at ad-libbing at the end of a song. Sometimes you could go another minute or two with Otis Redding's ad-libs - they were so spontaneous and felt so great. And this particular song I think baffled Otis a little bit because of the tempo and the mood, so when we got down to the end of it he really didn't have anything to ad-lib with, and he just started whistling. That just sparked Ronnie Capone and myself off, and almost immediately we said, 'Hey man, that's great, leave that in there.' It sure is a cool melody to go out with."

During the Vietnam War, this was very popular with American troops fighting there, as the song portrayed quite the opposite of their reality. Accordingly, it was used in two 1987 films that take place during the war: Platoon and Hamburger Hill.

It won 1968 Grammy Awards for Best Rhythm & Blues Performance, plus Best Rhythm & Blues Song for writers Otis Redding and Steve Cropper.

The Ronettes Be My Baby
    This was written by the songwriters Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, who were married at the time.Barry and Greenwich had a remarkable run of hits in 1963 and 1964, including "Da Doo Ron Ron," "Chapel Of Love," "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and "Leader of the Pack."

This was the first Ronettes song produced by Phil Spector and released on his label, Philles Records. It exemplified Spector's "Wall Of Sound" production technique, where he layered lots of instruments and used echo effects.Veronica Bennett was the only Ronette to sing on this. Phil Spector rehearsed her for weeks and had her do 42 takes before he got the sound he wanted.  She would practice in the ladies' room at the studio, which she said had great acoustics and let her work out the little "whoas" and "oh-oh-ohs."Spector and Bennett got married in 1968, and they divorced in 1974.

A pre-famous Cher sang backup vocals. Sonny Bono worked for Phil Spector as a promotion man; he was dating Cher and introduced her to Phil, who then used her as backup on several recordings including "Da Do Ron Ron" and "Be My Baby."

Brian Wilson Wilson says it is his favorite record, stating: "This is a special one for me. What a great sound, the Wall of Sound. Boy, first heard this on the car radio and I had to pull off the road, I couldn't believe it. The choruses blew me away; the strings are the melody of love. It has the promise to make the world better." His Beach Boys song "Don't Worry Baby" was written as an answer song to Be My Baby.

I'm genuinely gutted that Otis is gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Reberetta wrote: »
    Results
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World 4-8 Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  8-4 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
    Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine 8-5 The Ronettes Be My Baby

Score

Prince When Doves Cry 7-6  Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

Please give a reason or your vote won't count. Voting closes 12pm.

Fun Facts

James Brown It's A Man's Man's Man's World
    This song was recorded as if it was a sermon. It lists man's life enhancing inventions, but the singer admits he would be nothing without a woman. Brown developed the impassioned ballad from some lyrics written by a woman, Betty Newsome. Her words were derived from the Bible and her observations of some of her ex-boyfriends, including the Godfather of Soul himself.

This was originally called "It's A Man's World', but James Brown added the extra words to the title as a reference to the 1963 hit comedy It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Brown had been working on this song for years; the singer Tammy Montgomery (later known as Tammi Terrell, who featured earlier) recorded "I Cried" in 1963, which sounds very similar. Brown dated Terrell and was accused of beating her.

James Brown recorded 17 singles that reached number one on the Billboard R&B charts.He also holds the record for the most singles listed on the Billboard Hot 100 chart without ever reaching number one.

He ranked seventh on the music magazine Rolling Stone’s list of its 100 greatest artists of all time. Rolling Stone has also cited Brown as the most sampled artist of all time.

Otis Redding Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay
    Redding died in a plane crash on December 10, 1967, a month before this song was released (January 8, 1968) and three days after he recorded it. It was by far his biggest hit and was also the first ever posthumous #1 single in the US. The plan was to use background singers on this track, possibly the Staple Singers, but when Redding died there was no time for that. Redding wrote this soon after listening to The Beatles album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which had just been released. Shortly before he started recording "Dock of the Bay," Redding alluded to it as an extension of the Beatles' music. In 1966 and 1967, Redding performed "A Hard Day's Night" and "Day Tripper" at some of his concerts.

Stax guitarist Steve Cropper wrote this with Redding. In a 1990 interview on NPR's Fresh Air, Cropper explained: "Otis was one of those kind of guys who had 100 ideas. Anytime he came in to record he always had 10 or 15 different intros or titles, or whatever. He had been at San Francisco playing The Fillmore, and he was staying at a boathouse (in Sausalito, across the bay from San Francisco), which is where he got the idea of the ship coming in. That's about all he had: 'I watch the ships come in and I watch them roll away again.' I took that and finished the lyrics.

If you listen to the songs I wrote with Otis, most of the lyrics are about him. He didn't usually write about himself, but I did. 'Mr. Pitiful,' 'Sad Song Fa-Fa,' they were about Otis' life. 'Dock Of The Bay' was exactly that: 'I left my home in Georgia, headed for the Frisco Bay' was all about him going out to San Francisco to perform."

Cropper explained the whistling: "If you're an Otis Redding fan you'd know that he's probably the world's greatest at ad-libbing at the end of a song. Sometimes you could go another minute or two with Otis Redding's ad-libs - they were so spontaneous and felt so great. And this particular song I think baffled Otis a little bit because of the tempo and the mood, so when we got down to the end of it he really didn't have anything to ad-lib with, and he just started whistling. That just sparked Ronnie Capone and myself off, and almost immediately we said, 'Hey man, that's great, leave that in there.' It sure is a cool melody to go out with."

During the Vietnam War, this was very popular with American troops fighting there, as the song portrayed quite the opposite of their reality. Accordingly, it was used in two 1987 films that take place during the war: Platoon and Hamburger Hill.

It won 1968 Grammy Awards for Best Rhythm & Blues Performance, plus Best Rhythm & Blues Song for writers Otis Redding and Steve Cropper.

The Ronettes Be My Baby
    This was written by the songwriters Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, who were married at the time.Barry and Greenwich had a remarkable run of hits in 1963 and 1964, including "Da Doo Ron Ron," "Chapel Of Love," "Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and "Leader of the Pack."

This was the first Ronettes song produced by Phil Spector and released on his label, Philles Records. It exemplified Spector's "Wall Of Sound" production technique, where he layered lots of instruments and used echo effects.Veronica Bennett was the only Ronette to sing on this. Phil Spector rehearsed her for weeks and had her do 42 takes before he got the sound he wanted.  She would practice in the ladies' room at the studio, which she said had great acoustics and let her work out the little "whoas" and "oh-oh-ohs."Spector and Bennett got married in 1968, and they divorced in 1974.

A pre-famous Cher sang backup vocals. Sonny Bono worked for Phil Spector as a promotion man; he was dating Cher and introduced her to Phil, who then used her as backup on several recordings including "Da Do Ron Ron" and "Be My Baby."

Brian Wilson Wilson says it is his favorite record, stating: "This is a special one for me. What a great sound, the Wall of Sound. Boy, first heard this on the car radio and I had to pull off the road, I couldn't believe it. The choruses blew me away; the strings are the melody of love. It has the promise to make the world better." His Beach Boys song "Don't Worry Baby" was written as an answer song to Be My Baby.

Love the facts.

Advertisement