Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOARDSIES DECIDE: Best Song Ever By Black/Partly Black Music Act.

Options

Comments

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World
    It’s the better of the two songs

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine
    I do like both so it goes down to what one I could listen to on a loop. Bill Withers wins.

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody
    Whitney comes from pedigree music stock. She deserves this more than the cherry.

Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive
    It’s a great song with great singalong lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

First to 7 Votes or failing that, most after 3 hours..

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  5-4 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  4-3 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  
    Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4-3 Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight
    The Ronettes Be My Baby 4-4 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  

Please give a reason or your vote won't count.

LAST 16
    Prince  When Doves Cry v Chic Le Freak 

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine v The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 

Prince When Doves Cry v  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love v Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Prince - When Doves Cry ; my favourite Prince song and it was the first song that sprang to my mind when making nominations

The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love ; like both fairly equally and Heard Through The Grapevine has already won a tournament, so want to see someone else win this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Chic Le Freak - I will vote for every disco song and Nile Rodgers rules
    Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - one of the best ever soul songs

LeVar you should listen to Creedence's 11 minute version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine , I think that will sway your vote :D

ShaneU wrote: »
    LeVar you should listen to Creedence's 11 minute version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine , I think that will sway your vote :D

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't subject myself to such torture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Prince When Doves Cry - one of my nominations. One of my favourite Prince songs ever. The way he was able to create this masterpiece without any bass in it is a testament to what a genius he was!!
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love - I wouldn't be a big fan of the Supremes but this would be one of the songs that I know and like (I actually discovered it from the Phil Collins' cover)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Prince When Doves Cry - the other song is grand but perfer this one and probably my favourite Prince song
    Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Possibly the best sing left and just a great beat.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Prince When Doves Cry - even Nile Rodgers at his best can't match the genius of this Prince track.

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - a potential overall winner imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,451 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World - a supreme song and vocal

Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  - classic, used in many tv shows and films

Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight - a one hit wonder but so catchy, infectious

Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  - a true fighting survivor classic

Chic Le Freak  - I had it as a ringtone :p

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Gaye had it going on, another great track

First to 7 Votes

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  6-4 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  5-3 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  

Voting closes 3.01pm.

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4-4 Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight
    The Ronettes Be My Baby 4-5 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  

Voting closes 4pm.

Prince When Doves Cry 4-2  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 2-4 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Voting closes 5.05pm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Chic Le Freak. Prefer it to anything Prince ever did.

And Marvin Gaye. Would be a worthy winner.

James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  6-4 Prince Let's Go Crazy
    Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine  5-3 Jackie Wilson (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher  

Voting closes 4pm.

Prince When Doves Cry 4-3  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 2-5 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Voting closes 5.05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Reberetta wrote: »
    James Brown This is a Man's Man's Man's World  6-4 Prince Let's Go Crazy - And with that, my last nomination bites the dust!

Voting closes 4pm.

Prince When Doves Cry 4-3  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 2-5 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Voting closes 5.05pm.

Prince When Doves Cry v Chic Le Freak - Great guitarwork from Niles Rodgers, great bassline from Bernard Edwards and a catchy tune. Not that mad about that Prince song actually.

The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love v Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Tough one but the first just edges it with its vocal harmonies and overall sound.

Let's save today Eagle Eye Cherry come on

First to 7 votes or most votes after 3 hours.

Last 16
    Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer v The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On 

James Brown I Got You (I Feel Good) v Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay 

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer v The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On  
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good)  v Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On - Great song and I also love the Kim Wilde cover
    Abstain, dont care for either of these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Aretha, classic song.

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
    Not a fan of Whitney, and this is a really nice song with warm vibes

The Ronettes - Be My Baby
    Ronnie Spector has a fantastic voice, and I Will Survive is a bit overplayed

Prince - When Doves Cry
    Like both of these but I would liaten to this more frequently than Le Freak

Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Classic song, one of the greatest ever

Supremes - You Keep Me Hanging On
    Prefer this to the other Supremes ones, whereas Aretha had better songs

James Brown - I Got You (I Feel Good)
    Just a great, feel-good song with awesome brass

The Supremes - You Keep Me Hanging On ; my favourite Supremes song, would love to see it be in it right to the end

James Brown - I Got You ( I Feel Good) ; bit of craic, and I'm not a big fan of the other song - it's only fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay: This is the best of the bunch. I'm backing Otis all the way.

Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4-5 Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

First to 7 votes.

Prince When Doves Cry 5-4  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 3-6 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Voting closes 5.05pm.

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer 1-3 The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On  
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 2-1 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

Voting closes 6.31pm

The Ronettes Be My Baby 5-5 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  

^Next vote wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Prince When Doves Cry it's my favourite Prince song
    Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay pretty sure I nominated this, if not it was on my shortlist
    The Ronettes Be My Baby great song that often appears in great movies too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Prince When Doves Cry great lyrics, unique sound

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Not an extraneous sound in the song

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Reberetta wrote: »
    Whitney Houston I Wanna Dance With Somebody 4-5 Eagle Eye Cherry Save Tonight

First to 7 votes.

Prince When Doves Cry 5-4  Chic Le Freak  
    The Supremes You Can't Hurry Love 3-6 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Voting closes 5.05pm.

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer 1-3 The Supremes You Keep Me Hanging On  
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) 2-1 Otis Redding  (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay     

Voting closes 6.31pm

The Ronettes Be My Baby 5-5 Gloria Gaynor I Will Survive  

^Next vote wins.

The ronettes because I hate I will survive

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Aretha Franklin I Say A Little Prayer - I just prefer Aretha to The Supremes
    James Brown I Got You ( I Feel Good) - Two absolute classics, but James Brown just throws himself into his performances

• Advertisement

Prince When Doves Cry
    One of my favourite prince tunes

Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    I love a bit of Marvin

Advertisement