Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1: 2020 Round 6 Spanish GP (See Mod note at Post4)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you watch again. You can see ocon looking in his mirrors before avoiding kmag.

At least one of them was looking in their mirrors.

If you're going to do something unusual like drive very slowly and veer acroethw track, surely it's your job to have a look in the mirrors and do it safely.

Penalty must be coming for KMag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

At least one of them was looking in their mirrors.

If you're going to do something unusual like drive very slowly and veer acroethw track, surely it's your job to have a look in the mirrors and do it safely.

Penalty must be coming for KMag.

Stewards say no punishment for either. Unfortunate accident.

Stewards say no punishment for either. Unfortunate accident.

Surprised by that. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Balls of steel from Szafnauer.

Granted traffic will be a clusterfùck but track evolution maybe a danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Vettel misses Q3

• Advertisement

Strong show from Gasly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Where the hell did that lap from Gasly come from?

Perez is faster than anyone in Sector 1 then nearly half a second slower in Sector 2, that's some swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Poor qualifying from the Renault boys. Me disappointed.

This is it wrote: »
    Vettel misses Q3

He was actually very close to Albon and norris ahead of him. But he was a full 2 tenths behind LeClerc. And all this is with the brand new chassis.

I'd say the chassis change was probably mostly psychological. Giving him a fresh start. If memory serves, he needed a new chassis when he was being beaten by Ricciardo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Seems like f2 was a burner of a race again

• Advertisement

He was actually very close to Albon and norris ahead of him. But he was a full 2 tenths behind LeClerc. And all this is with the brand new chassis.

I'd say the chassis change was probably mostly psychological. Giving him a fresh start. If memory serves, he needed a new chassis when he was being beaten by Ricciardo too.

I think he missed out by 2 hundredths for Q3. Close but still disappointing, especially since LeClerc pushed on, though didn't finish Q3 as well as he might have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not a great qualifying season. Actually it was quiet dull. Maybe the race will be better but with this track I am not to hopefull. Would love to see Max win again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Yeah Vettel Both poor and Unlucky 0.002 is tight. Still ,Does he get free tire choice now? . Go on Medium ,Get a good start take at least one place , into the points , Long first stint ...Red wall softs a head and behind go off he could end up with some free air and a decent points finish .......5th is possible but it would take a lot of Not messing up which of late ..meh .

Gasly is having a great run of late , Getting loads out of the Alpha Tauri . I do remember him saying he did not like driving the Redbull , he felt he could do more with the Toro Rosso at the time. That it would move how he wanted and expect to move but he is driving out of himself in the Qual sessions .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Joeface wrote: »
    Yeah Vettel Both poor and Unlucky 0.002 is tight. Still ,Does he get free tire choice now? . Go on Medium ,Get a good start take at least one place , into the points , Long first stint ...Red wall softs a head and behind go off he could end up with some free air and a decent points finish .......5th is possible but it would take a lot of Not messing up which of late ..meh

Gasly is having a great run of late , Getting loads out of the Alpha Tauri . I do remember him saying he did not like driving the Redbull , he felt he could do more with the Toro Rosso at the time. That it would move how he wanted and expect to move but he is driving out of himself in the Qual sessions .

Yeah Vettel Both poor and Unlucky 0.002 is tight. Still ,Does he get free tire choice now? . Go on Medium ,Get a good start take at least one place , into the points , Long first stint

Yes he gets free tire choice now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah Vettel Both poor and Unlucky 0.002 is tight. Still ,Does he get free tire choice now? . Go on Medium ,Get a good start take at least one place , into the points , Long first stint ...Red wall softs a head and behind go off he could end up with some free air and a decent points finish .......5th is possible but it would take a lot of Not messing up which of late ..meh .

Yeah hopefully Vettel can use the tyres to his advantage. I think they're using the hardest three compounds this week so probably not as dramatic as the last couple of weekends.

I wonder if adrian newey has lost his touch. This year's RB seems to be way too skitty at the back end. Maybe he's run out of road for development with the current aero formula. 2022 will be th he big test of whether he's still got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Perhaps he was so occupied with the 2021 regs, the 2020 car was a bit of an after thought.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/has-red-bull-hit-the-limit-of-its-high-rake-designs/

Some insight into red bull struggles

flazio wrote: »
    Perhaps he was so occupied with the 2021 regs, the 2020 car was a bit of an after thought.

Maybe. The 2022 car would want to be very special to make up for this year's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It was a similar story last year; it took a few races last year for the team to understand the car and setup -- Gasly and Max were both complaining about its nervousness in the early races. Now on race pace it seems a match for the Mercs.

If the ban on quali modes comes into force, that might help close the gap further. And then if Mercs are struggling with tyres in hotter temperatures, they can't be looking forward to Italy and Portugal too much.

It was a similar story last year; it took a few races last year for the team to understand the car and setup -- Gasly and Max were both complaining about its nervousness in the early races. Now on race pace it seems a match for the Mercs.

If the ban on quali modes comes into force, that might help close the gap further. And then if Mercs are struggling with tyres in hotter temperatures, they can't be looking forward to Italy and Portugal too much.

I can't agree that the Red Bull is a match for merc on race pace. Last week was a very particularl set of circumstances. It wasn't a match on the first Silverstone or any other weekend but with hotter tempts AND soft tyres, it was.

Those couple of tracks might not suit Mercedes if they're hot but if the tyres are the hard ones then merc will have no real competition. This week in Spain is probably as hot as Silverstone but the hard tyres are leaving merc clearly in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It's going to be interesting to see what Merc do if Verstappen is going to win and Bottas is ahead of Hamilton!

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see what Merc do if Verstappen is going to win and Bottas is ahead of Hamilton!

At this point I'd say they'd just let them race. If it was close in the championship between max and Lewis then they'd let Lewis ahead and if it was close between Lewis and bottas they'd let them race.

They were good at letting them race back when it was Hamilton vs rosberg. There's mush have been much better coverage of Mercedes back then too. We saw very little of merc during the races they win comfortably.

I wonder how the higher-ups in Daimler see it. Do they see utter dominance as the best outcome or do they want close racing and a few controversies where they squeek victory in the end?

At this point I'd say they'd just let them race. If it was close in the championship between max and Lewis then they'd let Lewis ahead and if it was close between Lewis and bottas they'd let them race.

They were good at letting them race back when it was Hamilton vs rosberg. There's mush have been much better coverage of Mercedes back then too. We saw very little of merc during the races they win comfortably.

I wonder how the higher-ups in Daimler see it. Do they see utter dominance as the best outcome or do they want close racing and a few controversies where they squeek victory in the end?

Only 30 points between Hamilton and Verstappen, so he could wipe out 33% of Hamilton's lead today if he won and Ham was 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Just turned on the Porsche Supercup, interesting to see Michael Fassbender is driving, or was driving, he's out, didn't see what happened.

F2 race a tyre conservation battle. Cars got five seconds slower over the course of the race.

Only 30 points between Hamilton and Verstappen, so he could wipe out 33% of Hamilton's lead today if he won and Ham was 3rd.

True butthey've always let them race early in the season. They might pull team orders but it would be a big departure from what they've done in the past.

Bottas signed a new contract recently. There could be a new clause that makes him an explicit no.2. But in all honesty I'd expect them to let them race at this stage of the season. Particularly given how dominant they are this year soft tyres and hot weather notwithstanding.

I'd bet Mercedes is lobbying full force for the hardest tyre compounds in all the races where compounds haven't been decided yet.

True butthey've always let them race early in the season. They might pull team orders but it would be a big departure from what they've done in the past.

Bottas signed a new contract recently. There could be a new clause that makes him an explicit no.2. But in all honesty I'd expect them to let them race at this stage of the season. Particularly given how dominant they are this year soft tyres and hot weather notwithstanding.

I'd bet Mercedes is lobbying full force for the hardest tyre compounds in all the races where compounds haven't been decided yet.

Most of the remaining races will be hot thought?

Most of the remaining races will be hot thought?

Hot with hard tyres is no bother to merc. In Spain in August with hard tyres Bottas in second was over 6 tenths clear of verstappen. depends on how the race pace goes but I'd back Mercedes all day long over the season.

I back them to influence the tyre selection for the remaining to make them harder for the rest of the races

Hot with hard tyres is no bother to merc. In Spain in August with hard tyres Bottas in second was over 6 tenths clear of verstappen. depends on how the race pace goes but I'd back Mercedes all day long over the season.

I back them to influence the tyre selection for the remaining to make them harder for the rest of the races

Spain has the hardest selection available

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Just turned on the Porsche Supercup, interesting to see Michael Fassbender is driving, or was driving, he's out, didn't see what happened.

He races in the European Le Mans Series too. He's aiming to race at Le Mans next year.

Advertisement