Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1: 2020 Round 6 Spanish GP (See Mod note at Post4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

It was a similar story last year; it took a few races last year for the team to understand the car and setup -- Gasly and Max were both complaining about its nervousness in the early races. Now on race pace it seems a match for the Mercs.

If the ban on quali modes comes into force, that might help close the gap further. And then if Mercs are struggling with tyres in hotter temperatures, they can't be looking forward to Italy and Portugal too much.

It's going to be interesting to see what Merc do if Verstappen is going to win and Bottas is ahead of Hamilton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting to see what Merc do if Verstappen is going to win and Bottas is ahead of Hamilton!

At this point I'd say they'd just let them race. If it was close in the championship between max and Lewis then they'd let Lewis ahead and if it was close between Lewis and bottas they'd let them race.

They were good at letting them race back when it was Hamilton vs rosberg. There's mush have been much better coverage of Mercedes back then too. We saw very little of merc during the races they win comfortably.

I wonder how the higher-ups in Daimler see it. Do they see utter dominance as the best outcome or do they want close racing and a few controversies where they squeek victory in the end?

At this point I'd say they'd just let them race. If it was close in the championship between max and Lewis then they'd let Lewis ahead and if it was close between Lewis and bottas they'd let them race.

They were good at letting them race back when it was Hamilton vs rosberg. There's mush have been much better coverage of Mercedes back then too. We saw very little of merc during the races they win comfortably.

I wonder how the higher-ups in Daimler see it. Do they see utter dominance as the best outcome or do they want close racing and a few controversies where they squeek victory in the end?

Only 30 points between Hamilton and Verstappen, so he could wipe out 33% of Hamilton's lead today if he won and Ham was 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Just turned on the Porsche Supercup, interesting to see Michael Fassbender is driving, or was driving, he's out, didn't see what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

F2 race a tyre conservation battle. Cars got five seconds slower over the course of the race.

Only 30 points between Hamilton and Verstappen, so he could wipe out 33% of Hamilton's lead today if he won and Ham was 3rd.

True butthey've always let them race early in the season. They might pull team orders but it would be a big departure from what they've done in the past.

Bottas signed a new contract recently. There could be a new clause that makes him an explicit no.2. But in all honesty I'd expect them to let them race at this stage of the season. Particularly given how dominant they are this year soft tyres and hot weather notwithstanding.

I'd bet Mercedes is lobbying full force for the hardest tyre compounds in all the races where compounds haven't been decided yet.

True butthey've always let them race early in the season. They might pull team orders but it would be a big departure from what they've done in the past.

Bottas signed a new contract recently. There could be a new clause that makes him an explicit no.2. But in all honesty I'd expect them to let them race at this stage of the season. Particularly given how dominant they are this year soft tyres and hot weather notwithstanding.

I'd bet Mercedes is lobbying full force for the hardest tyre compounds in all the races where compounds haven't been decided yet.

Most of the remaining races will be hot thought?

Most of the remaining races will be hot thought?

Hot with hard tyres is no bother to merc. In Spain in August with hard tyres Bottas in second was over 6 tenths clear of verstappen. depends on how the race pace goes but I'd back Mercedes all day long over the season.

I back them to influence the tyre selection for the remaining to make them harder for the rest of the races

Hot with hard tyres is no bother to merc. In Spain in August with hard tyres Bottas in second was over 6 tenths clear of verstappen. depends on how the race pace goes but I'd back Mercedes all day long over the season.

I back them to influence the tyre selection for the remaining to make them harder for the rest of the races

Spain has the hardest selection available

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Just turned on the Porsche Supercup, interesting to see Michael Fassbender is driving, or was driving, he's out, didn't see what happened.

He races in the European Le Mans Series too. He's aiming to race at Le Mans next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

He races in the European Le Mans Series too. He's aiming to race at Le Mans next year.

The road to Le Mans series on youtube is worth a watch. He crashed quite a few times in that. Saw a bit of the ELMS race at Paul Ricard. He crashed there early on too. Good job he has loads of money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

There's a series of videos on the porsche YouTube channel about his Road to Le Mans, well worth a watch

The road to Le Mans series on youtube is worth a watch. He crashed quite a few times in that. Saw a bit of the ELMS race at Paul Ricard. He crashed there early on too. Good job he has loads of money :D

Great minds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Why are they are putting a huge sticker onto the track moments before the race starts?

Spain has the hardest selection available

image.jpg

Thanks. I thought there were 5 compounds last year. Have they gotten rid of one compound this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Why are they are putting a huge sticker onto the track moments before the race starts?

I hope they keep it on it. Would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cool_CM wrote: »

To protect the tyres a little bit :pac:

Love listening to Rosberg, he speaks sense from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone know what the temp is?

For all the talk about how hot it is no one has said actually how hot it is.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Anyone know what the temp is?

For all the talk about how hot it is no one has said actually how hot it is.

Track temperature was mentioned at 50 degrees not so long ago.

I have to say, I'm actually enjoying Rosberg. Just keeps to the point, and explains alot on this.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I thought there were 5 compounds last year. Have they gotten rid of one compound this year?

Five compounds still - C1, C2, C3, C4, C5!

The C5 was not selected for any of the initial 8 races, as you can imagine it struggles to even last a lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Currently air 30 °C, track 48 °C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭This is it

antodeco wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm actually enjoying Rosberg. Just keeps to the point, and explains alot on this.

He's very good

This is it wrote: »
    He's very good

Aye his youtube channel is worth a follow.

First corner should be exciting with such a long stretch from the start finish

What a start from Stroll

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Max almost in DRS range.

skipper_G wrote: »
    What a start from Stroll

Just saw his on board there, quality driving just a shame Bottas has drs'd it back now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So far Max can match Hamilton. This is great. It’s a pity the track is not more suited to overtaking.

Anyone elses sound gone?

Edit: My fat leg turned off the audio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,091 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

2011 wrote: »
    So far Max can match Hamilton. This is great. It’s a pity the track is not more suited to overtaking.

Bottas is starting to creep up on him though

Sounds like every one is managing tyres and managing gaps, not sure if anyone actually wants to pass on track. This is a tyre race

Hamilton pulling away

Vettel under pressure fom behind now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Well this is looking dissapointing....

This is it wrote: »
    Hamilton pulling away

Yes, it was too good to be true. I was hoping that Max’s tyre management would be better than the Mercs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

needs Kvyat to torpedo Seb and bring safety car out to liven it up

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This is not the most exciting of races.

We need something to happen....

Hopefully hard compound will work better for Red Bull

• Advertisement

Quite bored now

2011 wrote: »
    Hopefully hard compound will work better for Red Bull

BBC not expecting many to use the hard tyre. It's a lot slower than the medium so its better to use the medium and pit twice.

We'll see what happens as they're about to pit now

Max losing it.

BBC not expecting many to use the hard tyre. It's a lot slower than the medium so its better to use the medium and pit twice.

We'll see what happens as they're about to pit now

Same comment on Sky

Max losing it.

He lost over a second on the last lap. Unless they plan a 1stop then they really ought to pit him soon.

Red bull looking for second place, max looking for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

This is a bit of a snoozefest

• Advertisement

Great for Max to come out ahead if the racing points. Fantastic pitstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Tyres changed

Vettel on medium much faster than leclerc on softs. The mediums are the better tyre right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Merc shafts Bottas again with that stacking. Twats.

Merc shafts Bottas again with that stacking. Twats.

Bottas is closer to Hamilton now than he was before the stop, how exactly was he shafted?

• Advertisement
Advertisement